Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m sorry that my spidery stuff is up. I’m hyper sensitive right now. Y’all married people do Not know how lucky you are. 

I hope you are well and wish you well. Great job in the Urban Meyer thread. Fun. Enjoy that magnificent canyon. 

Hook 'em. 

hint: CR is like a competitive law school class. If you enjoyed law school, this is like third year.   Good luck. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I hope you are well and wish you well. Great job in the Urban Meyer thread. Fun. Enjoy that magnificent canyon. 

Hook 'em. 

hint: CR is like a competitive law school class. If you enjoyed law school, this is like third year.   Good luck. 

Coolness. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Law school sounds easy. 

It is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

huh? this is like every thread in the cloak room for 4 years 7 months.  there is only one difference this time.

Hey, you're back! This comment brought to you by the guy who took a shit in every Covid thread every single day until the death toll became too large even for him to belittle and minimize.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You know how I know you don’t follow the Sugar Baby thread?

It’s cool. I didn’t see how it turned out but know you’ve had some heavy shit on your plate last few weeks. Hope all is well. Drink a beer, relax, and get ready for 10 wins. 

We will be not winning the Big12 final trophy. Iowa State wins it. I consider y’all my friends. Yes dealing with some shit right now. I’m sorry (except to one poster.) 

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Once admitted, learning from clients is a gift. I should be paying them for the education. Not kidding. 

At one point in my brain damaged life I read the Merck Manual for fun and had the full catalog of DSM I, II, III and IV in pdf form just cause for reference. 

I think that I would have been better off (financially and otherwise) in a trade. 

27 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s cool. I didn’t see how it turned out but know you’ve had some heavy shit on your plate last few weeks. Hope all is well. Drink a beer, relax, and get ready for 10 wins. 

I’m now drinking a beer. Like it matters what I say. Apparently, I’m a whore that photoshops and is desperate for a man. Also a drunk stupid illiterate dipshit. What gets me every time is the hate level. Dial it up to 11.

Thanks for the words. am drinking now. Saved it for this occasion. (Chocolate Sombrero—Clown Shoes.) this is a special day for me. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So….bc I don’t care for Biden I’m a Trump lover? This forum pretends to be the same thing that Fox News “claims” it is. Fair and Balanced. What genie? I don’t think a  lengthy study nor history of my posts would support your assumption. Also, I wouldn’t recommend reading them.  This whole forum is predicated on “we care.” It’s bullshit. Did I report anyone for the absolute ass kicking (I deserved it btw) last Saturday I got? Nope. Never have reported a poster and never will. Also, I realize [mention=332]Bama Chick[/mention] is y’all’s queen. Did you see what she posted about me? It makes sense that a One Direction fan would be y’all’s goddess. 

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That whole band sucks. All boy bands pretty much suck. Bamachick isn’t the poster I dislike. She seems cool. Save for horribly bad taste in music.

He has it in him once the pop shit is dispensed with and he learns to hit the notes. 

Edited by Anastasis
landed on BBC

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

brad pitt you do not talk about fight club GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

So….bc I don’t care for Biden I’m a Trump lover? This forum pretends to be the same thing that Fox News “claims” it is. Fair and Balanced. What genie? I don’t think a  lengthy study nor history of my posts would support your assumption. Also, I wouldn’t recommend reading them.  This whole forum is predicated on “we care.” It’s bullshit. Did I report anyone for the absolute ass kicking (I deserved it btw) last Saturday I got? Nope. Never have reported a poster and never will. Also, I realize [mention=332]Bama Chick[/mention] is y’all’s queen. Did you see what she posted about me? It makes sense that a One Direction fan would be y’all’s goddess. 
Go home Nikki. You're drunk.
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, elfenix said:
7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

You are not the boss of me. Since I’m not offering myself up in some sugar baby thread or bothering the mods or not negging posters (which Ive never done.) 

so I will ask you a question: what Olympic medalist was selected/drafted by both a NFL and NBA team but turned them down? 

9 minutes ago, elfenix said:
8 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

It's Friday. Half the board is drunk except the nerds.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m a Solo Harry Stan.

Fuck One Direction.

And he’s hot as fuck and likes older women.

I always wondered why my daughter never revealed any of her crushes when she was about ten...No posters on the walls or anything like that, though she was getting me to buy her teen beat type mags. She's now 17 and she recently told me she had a lock box whose insides were plastered with Harry Styles pics....And she still has that crush, I think.  

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

We’re either going to decide more American soldiers need to die or we decide enough is enough.

It seems like we’re going to choose for more to die in an effort to enact justice/revenge for its own sake.

I know I shouldn’t be but I can’t believe how quickly and loudly the war drums started beating.

SilverGreedyFinch-size_restricted.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

From a national perspective probably not so much for the next 30 years 

I’d pay for the beers to hear your thoughts on the subject. But I won’t ask you to elaborate here.

The war in Viet Nam ended 4/30/75, and the memorial was completed in ‘82. The Korean War ended in July ‘53, but the memorial was dedicated in ‘95.

War in Afghanistan
Oct 7, 2001 – Aug 15, 2021

I’m missing something. As usual.

This is the 228th day of my oldest’s life where the US was not officially at war. Thirteen days for my youngest. And counting.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I’d pay for the beers to hear your thoughts on the subject. But I won’t ask you to elaborate here.

The war in Viet Nam ended 4/30/75, and the memorial was completed in ‘82. The Korean War ended in July ‘53, but the memorial was dedicated in ‘95.

War in Afghanistan

This is the 228th day of my oldest’s life where the US was not officially at war. Thirteen days for my youngest. And counting.

Ask away. And yeah, I miss the other thread. 

49 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

War in Afghanistan

We may do a memorial (and should). But the fact is that Afghanistan and Iraq were mostly abstractions for most of America. No one was yanked against their will off the high school graduation stage and sent there only to come back under a flag or injured for life.

Unless you were in military service or a civilian dispatched there, Afghanistan was something that happened on tv to people you didn’t know. The massive “honor the troops” movement is in some ways a sterile overcompensation for the fact that most people don’t know any troops or even civilians in these areas and what they go through. 

I am not someone who thinks we need to ditch our effective, professional all-volunteer military but there are cultural and societal costs to making war a profession and not national effort. 

In policy and military circles? Afghanistan will resonate painfully immediately and long-term. The airlift we’ve pulled off, for example, will be taught at the War Colleges.

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

You are not the boss of me. Since I’m not offering myself up in some sugar baby thread or bothering the mods or not negging posters (which Ive never done.) 
so I will ask you a question: what Olympic medalist was selected/drafted by both a NFL and NBA team but turned them down? 

Albert Einstein?
  • Haha 1

Phone started going crazy about midnight last night. Everyone who is still stuck there is calling and panicking. How do you tell someone way down south sorry, but I think it is too late to help? 

We are working other routes and plans but the feeling of frustration knowing there is nothing I can do for these people who worked alongside us just sucks.  Part of me wants to scream at them "Why the fuck did you stay until right now?" 

There is no media coverage really outside of Kabul but hearing things are a bit rough in the South. I expected that. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I will avoid these places. Always wanted to see Tennessee. The absolute worst restaurants always have all these decorations and you see pieces of lint on them and dead flies. 

Tennessee was great for what it was when I lived there.  Knoxville had a lot more potential and as I left, it was really starting to come around.  I hear parts of it are unrecognizable now.   But one really didn't go to that restaurant for the fine cuisine, but it was for the absurdity of the atmosphere, good music and how in spite of how mis-mashed it sound, the place just worked and it would be hard to not have a good time there.   I imagine it would be even more fun after a nice hike for some.   And the Smokey Mountains offers plenty of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Unless you were in military service or a civilian dispatched there, Afghanistan was something that happened on tv to people you didn’t know. The massive “honor the troops” movement is in some ways a sterile overcompensation for the fact that most people don’t know any troops or even civilians in these areas and what they go through. 

I am not someone who thinks we need to ditch our effective, professional all-volunteer military but there are cultural and societal costs to making war a profession and not national effort. 

In policy and military circles? Afghanistan will resonate painfully immediately and long-term. The airlift we’ve pulled off, for example, will be taught at the War Colleges.

really good point.

i'm reminded of a family discussion/ argument we had a couple years ago with my now 19 yoa niece. i can't remember what set it off but something she said that we all reacted to as not being particularly respectful of military sacrifice... and she just unloaded with both barrels.

after the dust settled i realized where she was coming from... she was born Jan 2002 and literally has never known a day in her life when we weren't at war over there. she was raised thinking exactly as you described - war as a profession, not a necessity or sacrifice. an industry that's been grinding along in the background of her entire life.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

really good point.

i'm reminded of a family discussion/ argument we had a couple years ago with my now 19 yoa niece. i can't remember what set it off but something she said that we all reacted to as not being particularly respectful of military sacrifice... and she just unloaded with both barrels.

after the dust settled i realized where she was coming from... she was born Jan 2002 and literally has never known a day in her life when we weren't at war over there. she was raised thinking exactly as you described - war as a profession, not a necessity or sacrifice. an industry that's been grinding along in the background of her entire life.

This has been my husband's perspective in part. He comes from a military family and his older brother was the last to serve (Navy). He (my husband) was quicker to leave the GOP than I was and what you describe above had a large part to do with it, specifically the commentary by former President George W Bush regarding going about our daily lives in response to terrorism. It wasn't that he thought the "shopping" or "Disney World" comments were necessarily a bad thing--letting terrorists control narrative/create fear and disrupt civilian life is a tactic that one should stand against, it was the awareness... almost a gut visceral distaste that this was to be the new normal and he objected to that for the reasons you describe.