Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

On 8/27/2021 at 10:48 AM, aggie08 said:

Any "message" that you think we'd be sending will more likely have the opposite desired effect. Again, I'm sure we'll do something, but I can assure you that it won't be nearly as satisfying--and can never be--as those who wish for payback hope.

I was happy to see we drone striked (struck?) today. I liked the 48 hour type response. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 8/26/2021 at 10:54 PM, Mole said:

There’s a passage in Jim Bouton’s Ball Four, a great book about an aging and marginal baseball player hanging on in the big leagues. In the passage, he talks about having to act really mad after every loss even though it was just an act. He liked winning, but he didn’t see the point in throwing a tantrum after a loss.

I feel the same way every time a president gives the tough talk to the bad guys. It feels so pointless to me, but I guess it’s part of the job to act angry. If you need to blow up some bad guys, then blow them up. I don’t see the need for the act. I guess some people take solace in tough talk, but it seems dumb to me.

If a president initiates military action, putting American troops in danger, simply out of some righteous sense of vengeance, he’s a maniac. If there’s a valid strategic reason for it, that’s a sobering decision that carries the weight of life and death. If you have a strategic justification for killing the bad guys and the risks are acceptable, cool, but that’s not a choice made in anger.

Put more directly, no service members should be put at risk just because some fat redneck in College Station wants to act tough and angry. Some things are worth dying for, but not a demented identity and hurt national pride.

My man Joe Biden and I have the same energy on this and I’m here for it. His response and words-then-actions have shown a lot of mettle and integrity and EQ.

This doesn’t sound like a man who is “acting” mad or upset because that’s what a President oughta feel and do:

Hours before drone strike, US said Biden doesn't want Kabul attackers to 'live on earth anymore'

US President Joe Biden had earlier to vowed to hunt down the perpetrators of the suicide bombing outside Kabul airport that killed dozens of Afghans and 13 US Marines.

My man Joe Biden and I have the same energy on this and I’m here for it. His response and words-then-actions have shown a lot of mettle and integrity and EQ.
This doesn’t sound like a man who is “acting” mad or upset because that’s what a President oughta feel and do:

Hours before drone strike, US said Biden doesn't want Kabul attackers to 'live on earth anymore'

US President Joe Biden had earlier to vowed to hunt down the perpetrators of the suicide bombing outside Kabul airport that killed dozens of Afghans and 13 US Marines.

Well to be fair I don’t think either of the two perpetrators live on earth any more.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Law school sounds easy. 

It is easy if you like to read, are willing read a shitload of cases, and can at least somewhat apply critical thinking skills to whatever it is you are asked to read. For me, it was the easiest three years in school I ever had in my whole life. 

Once done with all that, being a lawyer itself though is not quite so easy. Just ask them. 

9 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

That's roughly the population of Abilene. That's an average of ~3800 people per day. Impressive.

If I had a gun for every ace I’ve drawn
I could arm a town the size of Abilene

(Go ahead and call me a Loser because that’s just asking for it.)  :D

• Hook 'Em 1

Al Jazeera saying that a rocket has hit a house by the airport.

An Afghan police chief says a rocket has struck a neighbourhood northwest of Kabul’s international airport amid the US evacuation there, killing a child.

Rashid, the Kabul police chief who goes by one name, told The Associated Press that the rocket struck on Sunday afternoon.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/29/afghanistan-explosion-near-kabul-airport

15 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

It is easy if you like to read, are willing read a shitload of cases, and can at least somewhat apply critical thinking skills to whatever it is you are asked to read. For me, it was the easiest three years in school I ever had in my whole life. 

Once done with all that, being a lawyer itself though is not quite so easy. Just ask them. 

The concepts aren't difficult, for the most part.  But the volume of material can be overwhelming, both in terms of what you're supposed to read for class and what you are responsible for on exams.  And having an entire course's grade hinge on one test is painful.

And, it really does wind up changing how you think about things and some brains are more malleable to that than others.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s ok….she’s gonna have Lauren Boebert come over and comfort her and give her advice.

She’s grieving, and gets all the slack in the world….but she ain’t coming from or going to a good place.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

From the BBC. 

0:24
Drone strike eliminated airport threat - US
The US says its drone strike in Kabul today was successful in "eliminating an imminent" threat to the airport, where evacuations are winding down.

Capt Bill Urban of US Central Command said he was "confident" that the target, a vehicle carrying at least one person associated with IS-K and a "substantial amount of explosive material", was destroyed.

"We are assessing the possibilities of civilian casualties, though we have no indications at this time," he said.

"We remain vigilant for potential future threats.”

(Cross posting since the other thread does not update as fast.) 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

There is no need to interview a grieving mom so soon 
I’m not sure if the right wing radio host called her or if she called him.

Correction, she called into the radio show. I’m sure the guy was ranting against Biden, and she made the decision to call in.

I understand she is angry, but if someone I loved had died, the last thing I would be doing is listening to the radio and calling into a fucking show. She is full out Trumpy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, that's some stupid shit.  Real imbecile level stuff.  

Grieving parents get the widest berth possible. The anger I have here is at the outlets that push things like this out, which I hope and believe she’ll regret one day down the road. And at Lauren Boebert who is not even her representative. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s ok….she’s gonna have Lauren Boebert come over and comfort her and give her advice.

She’s grieving, and gets all the slack in the world….but she ain’t coming from or going to a good place.

Lauren Boebert coming over to exploit her is absolutely disgusting but that’s today’s GQP and this lady’s radio show rant is just another symptom of how low the GQP has sunk and is utterly irredeemable as a party. 

Edited by JimmyJames

39 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Grieving parents get the widest berth possible. The anger I have here is at the outlets that push things like this out, which I hope and believe she’ll regret one day down the road. And at Lauren Boebert who is not even her representative. 

That's fair.  I have said it many times, but I really admire those who (eventually) show grace and forgiveness when their family members are murder victims or victims of other seemingly needless and incomprehensible death.  Usually, I feel sorry for those who can't reach that state, but they should be granted more time to reach it.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's fair.  I have said it many times, but I really admire those who (eventually) show grace and forgiveness when their family members are murder victims or victims of other seemingly needless and incomprehensible death.  Usually, I feel sorry for those who can't reach that state, but they should be granted more time to reach it.

The host who got the call is trash. There should have been a commercial break and a gentle talk about how honored he was to get the call, and what she wanted to say. And then a graceful explanation about how justifiably angry and sad she is, and how down the road she should be a guest to talk about her son’s bravery and sacrifice and what it means to her. And a plea for her to share her anger with her family and pastor and friends but not the public, who aren’t in a place to appreciate the depth of what she’s feeling.  

She’d be furious and bite your head off and maybe call somewhere else, but there is real grace in accepting that anger into you in private instead of serving as a bullhorn to blast it out further. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Got a message from my buddy in the Netherlands:

”Meanwhile, we are feeling ashamed at how poorly our government handled the situation in Kabul. If it wasn’t for the US (military) the rest of the world would have been utterly powerless!”

Just a datapoint on reaction in other countries.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

The goalpost is always going to move to avoid giving Biden any credit for getting us out of a war 

I’m not feigning laude over anyone, but  “avoiding giving Biden” credit likely won’t be difficult considering they hastened the planned exit and gave up the most feasible exit platform well ahead of time, then completely bungled the response to our bungled response.    It’s been a shitshow of shitshows, and Joseph deserves it.    You’d be thrice your normal regiment of lysinopril if someone else were still in office.   Learn to acknowledge fuckery and dumbshittery.  The mother fucker was asleep talking to the PM of Israel.   Fucking asleep!!!!    Jesus.   Trump/Bush/Grover Fucking Cleveland weren’t doing that.    

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Shut up. This forum would be doing the same god damn thing if Orange man bad was in office.

Yet your dumb ass would be completely silent like it was the entire 4 years until Covid and George Floyd broken your simple brain. Now look at you giving a shit since a libtard is in office. 

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I’m not feigning laude over anyone, but  “avoiding giving Biden” credit likely won’t be difficult considering they hastened the planned exit and gave up the most feasible exit platform well ahead of time, then completely bungled the response to our bungled response.    It’s been a shitshow of shitshows, and Joseph deserves it.    You’d be thrice your normal regiment of lysinopril of someone else were still in office.   Learn to acknowledge fuckery and dumbahittery.  The mother fucker was asleep talking to the PM of Israel.   Fucking asleep!!!!    Jesus.   Trump/Bush/Grover Fucking Cleveland weren’t doing that.    

You fell for a doctored clip! Fucking doctored!!!! Jesus. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-biden-asleep/fact-check-clips-cut-bidens-response-during-israeli-pm-meeting-idUSL1N2Q00H8

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

Yet your dumb ass would be completely silent like it was the entire 4 years until Covid and George Floyd broken your simple brain. Now look at you giving a shit since a libtard is in office. 

It’s pretty fun being the shit slinging whiners like you guys were the last four years.

But life’s good. Basically everything sucks. No more mean tweets.

And CRs only rebuttal is name calling and saying “if it’s so easy you do it”. Now that they know the guy they voted for is an incompetent vegetable
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

As doctored as “good people on both sides”.   That dopey motherfucker is asleep.    And you know it.  And you can’t defend it.    “But blah blah blah!!!!”   

they all suck shit through a straw.  None are better than the others.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3