The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

It's just weird to me that FIFA and CONCACAF care more about public perception than player safety.

El Tri deserves to play several home matches in an empty stadium, but not because of the stupid yet harmless "Puto!" jeers, but because of the fans' penchant for throwing objects at players, even their own.

Possible concussions? We don't give a shit about that. But somebody's feels might be hurt? Shut it down.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah fuck you Max and fuck the players. They could do so much more to stop this shit and don’t. 

This!! Fuck em. El Tri and mexico deserves this bullshit they earned this shit. No sympathy but they won't do shit and will punish the women team and the fans in Mexico when it's the trash ass paisas doing it. No sympathy at all

47 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Yeah fuck you Max and fuck the players. They could do so much more to stop this shit and don’t. 

Like punish their women’s team more.  Somebody up thread mentioned it, but I fucking love Mexico.  I got married in Mexico and love pretty much everything about MEXICO other than El Tri and their shitbag @JNip fans.  Hopefully there was some father son beatings tonight.  
El Tri is Aggy mixed with the worst of the worst Oakland Raider fan.  

Now that that is out of the way, considering how many real players opted out of this shitshow of a tourney, I feel like we are gonna see all sorts of “upsets”.   Well Mexico sent their A team, but still.   CONCACAF 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Haha I'll fall on that sword. Not much of a life right now and not ready for this "summer of soccer" to end.

Besides, I've long enjoyed watching El Tri play ... at least, I did up until the past 10 or so years. The Mexican team possesses a lot of on-the-ball skill and can tiki-taka with the best of them outside of Spain. They are very patient in possession and usually create heaps of chances from the run of play.

But then something happened. I think maybe Dos a Cero in 2002 broke them. Like, it hurt them in a way from which they've never been able to recover. Mexico fancies itself as an elite soccer power--with neither the international history nor hardware to back it up--and then these upstart Yanks--who can't even get recognized by their own countrymen--come along and whip their ass on the biggest stage.

Since then, there's been so much bitchassedness and negativity. Maybe it was always there and I didn't notice, but it certainly seems to have gone to another level after 2002.

If it's not the players diving or coming in late in hopes of taking out one of our players, it's the fans throwing bottles of beer, bags of piss, or D-cell batteries at athletes (even their own country's). The press doesn't help, either, shaming and excoriating the players and coaches whenever they come up short against the US.

But, yeah, I'm watching Mexico play in a meaningless regional tournament on a Saturday night. 

“Mexico fancies itself as an elite soccer power?” What the fuck are you talking about? Maybe the confusion comes from an arrogant fan base when playing in the region but worldwide? Hell no! Mexico dreams of playing the fifth game in a World Cup, that’s not a fan base that screams elitism. 

We do fill like we can beat anyone on any given day but that’s just a consequence of current international fútbol. I don’t think that there is a Mexican fan who thinks that they can realistically win a World Cup, heck, not even reach a semifinal. I think that dream right now is to reach a quarterfinal and that’s just a dream. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Like punish their women’s team more.  Somebody up thread mentioned it, but I fucking love Mexico.  I got married in Mexico and love pretty much everything about MEXICO other than El Tri and their shitbag @JNip fans.  Hopefully there was some father son beatings tonight.  

Now that that is out of the way, considering how many real players opted out of this shitshow of a tourney, I feel like we are gonna see all sorts of “upsets”.   Well Mexico sent their A team, but still.   CONCACAF 

Those confuse me man, I’m just a dude who likes to compete and throw some banter on forums. I’m not the dude fighting, throwing piss, beer, or yelling obscene things in the stadiums. 

4 minutes ago, JNip said:

Those confuse me man, I’m just a dude who likes to compete and throw some banter on forums. I’m not the dude fighting, throwing piss, beer, or yelling obscene things in the stadiums. 

My bad if you aren’t an El Tri fan who acts like a Raider fan.  

12 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Setting up nicely for a late Sebastian Lletget winner in the final. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ted Lange said:

My bad if you aren’t an El Tri fan who acts like a Raider fan.  

I’m the Tri fan in the stadium who you can sit next to that will analyze the whole game while yelling instructions to the players and buying each other beers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Hes The Worst GIFs | Tenor

Yeah but see when you thought that you thought wrong - because Italy all game has been playing in a pressed formation - and this is what you don't do against that - you don't play that ball through when you should have known all game that you have help on your outside - you just can't make that mistake there...

When Fideo scored his beautiful chip in the first half, I was (again) reminded of Messi's goal vs Mexico in the 2007 Copa America.

Most of you guys weren't following the Copa America that year even though the USMNT was one of the two teams invited to help make 3 groups of 4. (Mexico was obviously the other one.) The USMNT sent a B team that year and it didn't really go over that well and I can't recall whether we've been invited back (to the REAL "Copa America") since.

In the semifinal, Messi had one of the best goals that I've ever seen. Like, ever. Of course Maradona's Goal of the Century was better and Messi's nearly identical goal against Getafe in 2008 are also technically better, but this one...

Copa America: Lionel Messi’s goal vs Mexico in 2007 isn’t talked about enough

Messi's rapid ascent to the apex of world football started as a teenager and during his formative years his form for Barcelona made him a figure of keen interest across the planet. 

Everyone knew something special was in progress, that a genuine world-beater was beginning his first chapter in what would prove to be a beautiful footballing odyssey. 

And that feeling was only enforced when he pulled on the famous blue and white Argentina strip at the 2007 Copa America.

Messi celebrated his 20th birthday just before the tournament got underway, but his lack of experience certainly didn't matter to Argentina manager Alfio Basile. 

The prodigious youngster started the opening game against Colombia and provided an assist for Hernan Crespo's second goal against the USA. 

Argentina went on to win all three of their group games and beat Peru in the quarter-final to set up a clash with Mexico in the last four. 

Having bagged his first goal of the tournament against Peru, Messi went one better in the semi-final by scoring a simply genius wonder-goal to put Argentina 2-0 up. 

Carlos Tevez played the ball into Messi inside the right channel and the young wizard was immediately challenged by a Mexico defender as he entered the penalty area.

There was seemingly no space for him, and certainly no direct route to goal. 

But he didn't need it. 

With one delicate flick of the left boot Messi chipped the ball over the defender and the goalkeeper to somehow find the back of the net. 

You can watch the clip of the goal below:

A few different clips of it.

UNIVISION's take...

Argentina went on to get manhandled by Brazil, 3-0, that may not have been as close as the score would indicate, but Messi's chip was he goal of the tournament for me and one of his most genius ever.

. . .and my favorite response tweet. . .

Edited by Napoleon

7 hours ago, JNip said:

“Mexico fancies itself as an elite soccer power?” What the fuck are you talking about? Maybe the confusion comes from an arrogant fan base when playing in the region but worldwide? Hell no! Mexico dreams of playing the fifth game in a World Cup, that’s not a fan base that screams elitism.

We do fill like we can beat anyone on any given day but that’s just a consequence of current international fútbol. I don’t think that there is a Mexican fan who thinks that they can realistically win a World Cup, heck, not even reach a semifinal. I think that dream right now is to reach a quarterfinal and that’s just a dream. 

Dude, several El Tri fans with whom I've spoken over the years keep insisting this cycle will be the one that proves their greatness to the rest of the world. You're not one of them? Great. You're also not one of those throwing objects at the players? Doubly great. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Dude, several El Tri fans with whom I've spoken over the years keep insisting this cycle will be the one that proves their greatness to the rest of the world. You're not one of them? Great. You're also not one of those throwing objects at the players? Doubly great. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

This team is so much shittier than previous ones, tell your Tri buddies to not smoke too much. 

And of course there are exceptions for everything, I also know American fans who think they’ll will the 2026 World Cup in USA with pulisic and Reyna. Doesn’t mean that they are the majority, I think that they’re the exception. 

But whatever, I love Mexico and I’ll always cheer for Mexico and I will always watch a game thinking that we can win but to think that we are at the level of England, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France? Come on! Would have to be smoking some crazy ass good shit. 

Edited by JNip

41 minutes ago, JNip said:

This team is so much shittier than previous ones, tell your Tri buddies to not smoke too much.

And of course there are exceptions for everything, I also know American fans who think they’ll will the 2026 World Cup in USA with pulisic and Reyna. Doesn’t mean that they are the majority, I think that they’re the exception.

But whatever, I love Mexico and I’ll always cheer for Mexico and I will always watch a game thinking that we can win but to think that we are at the level of England, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France? Come on! Would have to be smoking some crazy ass good shit. 

Nothing wrong with loving or cheering for Mexico. But the elitism and hooliganism need to end.

Yes, there are bad apples in every bunch, but there are more than just a few when it comes to El Tri fans. It's the culture. No respect. No appreciation. These are not isolated incidents, either. Happens at most any Mexico game in which things don't go their way.

15xkvODj5iOCf73HjHcQZvDFYOCLI6MrEAYdPJp7

1216.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

@Napoleon

Pepperidge Farm and I member the USMNT being invited to the 2007 Copa America. Bob Bradley fielded arguably the shittiest possible MNT squad in Venezuela. Lee Nguyen was on the squad. Anyone remember him? The squad was so terrible that it destroyed any future chances of ever being invited to participate again.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

07 Copa was fun as hell. They need to do it that way again but we did fuck it up.

If anyone is in Dallas and wants to watch we are having a watch party for the US game at ojos locos on NW Hwy. 

Damn.  I'm at a spot in Rowlett.  My soccer team is at Westlake Brewing in Deep Ellum.

18 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

07 Copa was fun as hell. They need to do it that way again but we did fuck it up.

If anyone is in Dallas and wants to watch we are having a watch party for the US game at ojos locos on NW Hwy. 

2016 was also a fantastic experience. But, yeah, the US pissed off CONMEBOL something special when it sent a C squad and finished dead last.

Can't blame them, but also can't blame the US--the A side that we sent to the Gold Cup won, which is why we got to play in the 2009 Confed Cup. Beat Spain and reached the finals before running into a Brazilian hurricane.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

2016 was also a fantastic experience. But, yeah, the US pissed off CONMEBOL something special when it sent a C squad and finished dead last.

Can't blame them, but also can't blame the US--the A side that we sent to the Gold Cup won, which is why we got to play in the 2009 Confed Cup. Beat Spain and reached the finals before running into a Brazilian hurricane.

That match against Spain was the most exciting USMNT match I have seen (Nations League vs the dirty JNips is a close second). I watched it live at Miami Airport. Whole terminal was going nuts.

I would argue the second half of that match was like weathering a hurricane. Spain came out firing and it was hold on for dear life, yet somehow some way our Yanks blanked them for the shutout victory.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Nothing wrong with loving or cheering for Mexico. But the elitism and hooliganism need to end.

Yes, there are bad apples in every bunch, but there are more than just a few when it comes to El Tri fans. It's the culture. No respect. No appreciation. These are not isolated incidents, either. Happens at most any Mexico game in which things don't go their way.

15xkvODj5iOCf73HjHcQZvDFYOCLI6MrEAYdPJp7

1216.jpg

Don’t think I’ve ever tried to defend those fuckers. I have no words to defend them and I hate them as well. I was not talking about them in any way. They’re indefendible, that a word? 

Maybe I said that I’m not like those people. But never tried to defend them in any way. 

Edited by JNip
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Can't blame them, but also can't blame the US

I absolutely blame the US.  If we want to ever be worth a shit, we should try to play as many non-concacaf competitive matches as we can.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

I absolutely blame the US.  If we want to ever be worth a shit, we should try to play as many non-concacaf competitive matches as we can.

And the US did exactly that. By winning the Gold cup that year, they earned a berth to the now-defunct Confederations Cup, which was the biggest international tournament outside of the Euro (which we'll never be a part of) and the World Cup.

EDIT: That's not to say I was happy with the decision to send a C team. I understood it, and it was probably the right call, but I'm so tired of playing CONCACAF opposition (in WCQ, in meaningless regional tournaments, in friendlies, etc.) that I'd relish any opportunity to measure up against the best teams from South America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Way too many local/regional matches for my taste. It gets old.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Anybody got a lineup?  US Soccer is too busy being woke to actually tweet news about the game.

Edit: I may be following the wrong feed - US Soccer@USSoccer.com.

Not posted yet as far as I can tell, but my Twitter-fu is weak.

I did, however, find this distracting little gem:

• Hook 'Em 1

Well at least I won’t have to waste 2 hours of my life. Thanks for that, Gregg, you absolute moron

So Lewis can’t get regular minutes but he’s a MNT starter makes perfect sense…. Dike went overseas played and showed his ability benched for Zardes…. Shambles

What time do you post the real lineup?

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not wild about Zardes getting the cap. Don't hate him like so many here, but he's a known quantity, and a very limited one at that.

Our first two matches are against Haiti and Martinique. There's virtually no way the USMNT fails to at least finish second and advance to the knockouts, so why not experiment a little, throw some uncapped youngsters (e.g., Busio, Dike, Hoppe, and Gioacchini) out there and see what they can do while there's still doubt and/or pressure?

At least Gergg didn't start Roldan, so that's progress.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
EDIT: Dike and Hoppe are capped, I believe, but still inexperienced.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Not wild about Zardes getting the cap. Don't hate him like so many here, but he's a known quantity, and a very limited one at that.

Our first two matches are against Haiti and Martinique. There's virtually no way the USMNT fails to at least finish second and advance to the knockouts, so why not experiment a little, throw some uncapped youngsters (e.g., Busio, Dike, Hoppe, and Gioacchini) out there and see what they can do while there's still doubt and/or pressure?

At least Gergg didn't start Roldan, so that's progress.

Agree.  But prob 10 out of these 11 players should EVER see the field for the US in an even remotely important game.  Play the youngsters.  Cap tie who you need.  

• Like 1