Galveston Beach House

44 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

I am looking to get a smallish beach house between Galveston and Surfside. I know nothing about real estate or issues relating to coastal property. Should I just call a realtor in Galveston and go?

Get an insurance quote before committing to anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

When we bought (not in Galveston), we identified the areas we were interested in and then found a realtor we liked to really start working it. However, there are less than 10% of the property listings where we are today versus when we bought 4 years ago (need to sell it and take advantage of the market.) With the limited inventory, I would go to Zillow and look at what’s for sale and see if there is anything interesting and then bring a realtor into the discussion.

• Like 1

Thanks all! There does seem to be a market - there’s plenty for sale, although it could have been many times more in years past. My issue is my kids are 10 and 13 so we want to do this now if possible. I would be more concerned about market factors if the kids were gone but we would like a few years as a family thing. We don’t want to close next week but would like to get it done in the fall/winter in advance of next year’s beach season. Thinking I will just get a realtor and get educated.

Taxes and insurance. Repair and maintenance costs exacerbated near salt water with few decent local contractors. All much more of an issue than you think going in. 

Plus the guilt when you havent been there for month because it just keeps fucking raining. 

But sometimes it’s great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Thanks all! There does seem to be a market - there’s plenty for sale, although it could have been many times more in years past. My issue is my kids are 10 and 13 so we want to do this now if possible. I would be more concerned about market factors if the kids were gone but we would like a few years as a family thing. We don’t want to close next week but would like to get it done in the fall/winter in advance of next year’s beach season. Thinking I will just get a realtor and get educated.

Same reason we bought when we did. Our kids were a year or so younger than each of yours when we bought, but after a couple of years of looking we decided they weren’t getting younger and we needed to go ahead and do it for them to enjoy it. If school’s out for more than a couple of days, they are at the beach house. It gets them away from all the bs at home and let’s them have time with each other and outside. The summers get a little long, so the last two years we have brought them back home for 2-3 weeks in the middle to see their friends and do other things which makes everything go better.

As others have noted, the costs are what they are so make sure you can afford it. Insurance and taxes keep going up, repairs are a constant, utilities and other things are always there, we have someone check on it once a week while we are gone which costs something, etc. but for us it’s worth it. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2021 at 11:33 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Taxes and insurance. Repair and maintenance costs exacerbated near salt water with few decent local contractors. All much more of an issue than you think going in. 

Plus the guilt when you havent been there for month because it just keeps fucking raining. 

But sometimes it’s great. 

A rainy day at the beach is better than a rainy day at home. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why did you sell? Wondering if you were largely done with it or there were other factors my ignorant butt doesn’t know about.
Just saw this. Sold because we could get alot for it, didn't go often enough for the amount of effort it took to coordinate everything like maid service, yard service, repairs, maintenance, etc.. mostly my fault due to work. We also had gotten where we need something larger because our kids have gotten older and wanted to take friends.