Tennessee teacher/baseball coach fired for teaching about anti-racism and white privilege

Pancho

On 7/9/2021 at 9:55 PM, jimmyjazz said:

This kind of thing may be more common now than in the past, but it's not new.  My mom taught English classes ranging from 8th grade thru lower level college.  Imagine her surprise when she got dragged in front of the school board for teaching middle school students . . . Chaucer.  Yep.  Apparently a John BIrch-y snowflake got all flustered because of a point in "The Miller's Tale" where a dude farts out his window on another dude.  

Mom won her case, but it signaled her as to the start of some serious right-wing pushback on content that never diminished.

We went through this several years ago with The Kite Runner.  Who'd have thought a book about some "Mooslim gay boy" would cause a stir in rural east Texas?

On 7/11/2021 at 8:34 AM, hpslugga said:

By and large it depends on where you were educated and when, and the same is true of other historic moments of the country.

So take the Texas Revolution. Again, I got the same bullshit story most of you were fed. That Dave Crockett, Jim Bowie, William Travis, et al were a bunch of noble heroes trying to free these peaceful white settlers from the tyrannical grip of the evil Santa Ana. But if you grew up in San Antonio and the Valley, you get a much different story as I was recently told by my godfather's two children (about my age). 

This probably got posted in the CRT thread, but seems apropos here as well.  Simply put the victors write the history, and always put themselves in glorious light.  Alternatives are coming out, so we must claim "fake news."   

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07/01/texas-forget-the-alamo-book-event-canceled/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:43 PM, Nolacycling said:

Csb/ Best course I took at UT was Canterbury Tales. It was taught by an ex-Jesuit priest. That dude was sharp. 

His view was The Miller's Wife butt kiss was oral sex. All those pockmarked, gross characters had venereal diseases.

I had him as the prof for my "Bible as Literature" class. He was fucking wild. Half the class was him talking about how being high up in the priesthood was a great racket. "We had a running tab at the local liquor store in Philadelphia, we used to get just cases and cases of badass wine. Listen, if you ever want an easy job, let me suggesting the Catholic clergy."

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
Slouching our way to the educational bottom:

Texas school district orders removal of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves

It was the latest in a string of book removals being implemented at schools at the behest of conservative activist parents and school board members

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-714895

There needs to be a web site listing all the banned books in Texas with short descriptions of their content. Then we share the hell out of it and do an end round these idiots. It would probably make these books more read than if they were still on the library shelves.

16 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Slouching our way to the educational bottom:

Texas school district orders removal of Anne Frank’s diary from shelves

It was the latest in a string of book removals being implemented at schools at the behest of conservative activist parents and school board members

https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-714895

Hide all the books in a secret attic apartment until the box faces go away.