Offseason NHL

cactusflinthead

54 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Awwwwright!  The winter classic on whatevertheycalltheColoradoRiver these days.  It’ll be epic …

I bet they would move the Bills to Austin and the Sabres to Houston. Or at least try to. I don't think Austin is in any mood to build a stadium for anyone. Though stupider stuff has happened. I'd hate it for Buffalo. What the hell did they do to deserve the Pegulas? 

Jerry's a crazy old man, but he does somewhat at least consider the fan while he gets his $100 for parking. The Pegulas have managed to alienate so many people including Eichel.

Edit: The players love Jerry and it's friendly with the Stars even when they have to be hard. I can't imagine either of them doing the same to Eichel.

Edited by cactusflinthead

On 8/5/2021 at 4:04 PM, Beau Vine said:

^^^^

They've missed the chance to buy him out, right?

Yep.

They are stuck with him unless they get some gambling dirt to stick.

"Now, the NHL’s investigation into Kane’s wife’s accusation that the winger bet on and threw NHL games — along with saying that he’s not supporting her or the couple’s daughter, while she’s pregnant with a second child — have surely made Kane a problem that the Sharks and Sharks alone will have to rectify. Options are limited, as the second buyout window is now closed for the club. On Tuesday, Kane posted an image on his Twitter account of him wearing Sharks gear before presumably going on the ice.

What the Sharks do next is unclear, although one way that they could separate themselves from him is out of their hands. If it’s proven that Kane bet on Sharks games, or any NHL games, he’ll almost certainly never play again and his contract could be voided. At this point, it would be irresponsible to speculate on what the investigation will yield."

https://theathletic.com/2762836/2021/08/11/evander-kanes-relationship-with-sharks-teammates-and-the-organization-may-be-irreparable/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

If the Coyotes can't find a new site in Phoenix, I would expect Quebec and Houston to emerge as the frontrunners for relocation.  The league feels it owes Quebec but it would like another team near Dallas to cut down on the enormous distance the Stars have to travel each season.

yup, my gut says Houston. The Rockets owner has already expressed enthusiastic interest in getting a NHL team. I would love that. Kinda like the Cowboys/Texans, Mavs/Spurs/Rockets, and Rangers/Astros, it would be awesome to have two Texas teams to root for in the NHL

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

Québec is gonna holler if they get passed up again, but I don't know if they can make the money work to move them in that direction across the border. 

I'd prefer it if the current owners sold them. An earlier article by Katie went into detail about their overall shittiness. 

Three way race for worst owners in the NHL between Ottawa, Buffalo, and Phoenix.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Québec is gonna holler if they get passed up again, but I don't know if they can make the money work to move them in that direction across the border. 

I'd prefer it if the current owners sold them. An earlier article by Katie went into detail about their overall shittiness. 

Three way race for worst owners in the NHL between Ottawa, Buffalo, and Phoenix.

pretty sure Buffalo is the winner (loser?) there

43 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

image.jpeg.0d8de7f7fa86261677ffd7581d23a79b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

pretty sure Buffalo is the winner (loser?) there

I am tempted to give the Pegulas the collar? Dunce cap? Fart in their general direction razzy. 

But, she makes a compelling case for the Meruelo family.

This article is based on interviews with more than 50 people, including current and former employees that span multiple departments as well as people who have business relationships with the club. Those interviews revealed a wide range of concerns that have surfaced since Meruelo took control of the team 18 months ago, including what many have described as a “toxic” workplace environment and financial troubles that far exceed what has previously been disclosed. Further, representatives from law firm Seyfarth Shaw met with some Coyotes employees in early January, The Athletic has learned, and asked them about potential financial irregularities, workplace culture, at least one case of alleged sexual harassment, and other matters.

Like I said in the thread on the Bills, I don't want any part of either ownership group. If I was in either Austin or Houston I'd think mighty damn hard about signing any deals.

10 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What sort of arena does Quebec have?

Hamilton, Ontario has a big new one sitting empty, right?

But you know Gary Bettman would rather have PHX replaced with a Southern city than another Canadian franchise.

I am hearing there's a buyer ready in Houston. Hockey Guy says they are anyhow. He didn't elaborate. I don't know if Dallas has a rights block on Texas. It makes the most sense to me for a move to Houston. Bettman would love that. 

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I am hearing there's a buyer ready in Houston. Hockey Guy says they are anyhow. He didn't elaborate. I don't know if Dallas has a rights block on Texas. It makes the most sense to me for a move to Houston. Bettman would love that. 

I think Dallas would welcome it.  Much closer natural rivalry game in the Central time zone... Plus, it's not like Dallas gets a significant percentage of its fan base from Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I think Dallas would welcome it.  Much closer natural rivalry game in the Central time zone... Plus, it's not like Dallas gets a significant percentage of its fan base from Houston.

This.  And then move the Sabres to Kansas City and the Stars would be ecstatic.  

12 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Buyer is Rockets owner Fertitta. He's been pretty vocal he would love to add an NHL team in Houston.  Starting to think there might actually be a chance sooner rather than later.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
lol...sp of Fertitta from Frittata... dinner time

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Buyer is Rockets owner Frittata. He's been pretty vocal he would love to add an NHL team in Houston.  Starting to think there might actually be a chance sooner rather than later.

Really? Damn, I'm sorry. 

Tillman might be an upgrade from the Meruelos or Pergulas, but damn.

Frittata... has better ring to it...

Anyway... Tillmans quote on it couple years ago:

“There’s not a month that goes by that we don’t have some type of talks about the NHL, and it’s definitely something that one day I look forward to bringing to Houston, Texas.”

And in the Toyota Center lease agreement it already has in place because of when Alexander owned the Rockets and didn't want an NHL team coming to town after he tried and was denied a bid that only an NHL team owned by the owner of the Rockets is allowed to play at the facility.

• Hook 'Em 1

This Kotkaniemi kerfuffle between MTL and CAR is fascinating. 

I think CAR may have fucked themselves, because I don't think there's any way MTL matches that ridiculous offer, other than potentially not understanding the concept of opportunity costs.  MTL should be looking at this like it's going to cost them $6.1M plus 1st- and 3rd-rounders to match.  

• 3 weeks later...

The ongoing tale of Evander Kane

The NHL launched an investigation into the gambling allegations made in a series of Instagram posts by Anna Kane in July. FOS learned earlier this month that that probe into Kane’s alleged gambling on NHL games had stalled and no irregular betting patterns on Sharks games were found.

The league announced in its statement Wednesday that the outside law firm hired to investigate Anna Kane’s betting claims “found no evidence to support those allegations, or allegations that Mr. Kane made any effort to negatively impact his own Club’s games.”

https://frontofficesports.com/sharks-star-evander-kane-facing-a-new-set-of-allegations/

• 2 weeks later...

That is definitely sick! Nice photos. They are taking forever to get the pre-ordered ones to season ticket holders - they're the dark blue ones with Inaugural Season patch - but I might like the white one just as much.

Was up at the Iceplex today (3 rink training facility open to the public as well) - team wasn't there as there's a game tonight but lots of kids skating. Really nice facility.