2021 MLB Draft Megathread

Sir Ulrich

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I have heard that noise before. We'll see.

Has there been a Texas signee that's fallen outside the top 10 rounds and drafted that didn't make it to campus? 

Almost all the Texas signees that didn't make it to campus in recent memory were early picks. At least from what I can recall. 

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Has there been a Texas signee that's fallen outside the top 10 rounds and drafted that didn't make it to campus? 

Almost all the Texas signees that didn't make it to campus in recent memory were early picks. At least from what I can recall. 

Seems like every year we are thinking "surely this guy will won't sign since he was drafted in X round" and he ends up signing anyway. But I cannot recall any specifics.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Seems like every year we are thinking "surely this guy will won't sign since he was drafted in X round" and he ends up signing anyway. But I cannot recall any specifics.

Cleveland fucked us over at least twice last year.  Was sweating their pick in the 10th.

Cleveland fucked us last year a bit taking Halpin in the 3rd and Tucker in the 1st. Tucker I think went higher than expected. 

But those were very early round picks. Everyone knew they were gone. 

We've definitely had some bad luck over the years but from my memory it was always early round picks vs a guy late in the draft deciding to go pro. At least in reference to the signees. 

I know the MLB game is completely different nowadays even with teams like Saint Louis who obviously no longer play in the astroturf Busch Stadium of the 80's & 90's.  

But man, Antico just seems like his game was tailor-made for that organization.  Having grown up in Chicago, I fucking hate Saint Louis and Ozzie Smith can get fucked.  But I think Antico could thrive there if he can punch his way through the minors.  Good for him.  

I know the all-star game is the story today, but bumping up top so we can track rounds 11-20, starting in about 15 minutes.  

'Horns have some guys who I'm surprised have stayed on the board until today.  We've got a couple guys who are signing the minute their name gets called, but lotsa question marks still abound.  If you can, keep the draft tracker on in the background and we can update this thread accordingly.  Then we go silent for 18 days until signing deadline.  

Obviously we wish all these guys the best, but we could have an even more stacked 2022 squad...just saying

round 11 already complete.  Only 1 player from the 30 taken from the entire state of Texas, HS or College.  Birdsell (P-Texas Tech).  That Red Raider staff has been decimated by this draft (left handed congrats to them).  

12th round is flying by.  

33 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

So far so good. Thought Tech got another guy drafted in the 11th round. Little did we know we were basically playing a minor league team.

Between the draft and transfers, if my math is correct they've lost 4 or 5 of their starting lineup, plus 8 pitchers who saw meaningful action in the post-season, plus a handful of other guys that saw limited playing time. I believe every one of them could've returned next year. You hate to see it.

TCU's faring a better than Tech but has had some early round guys go.  Not sure about their signees situation.  obviously lots more picks to go, but things shaping up well for us at least in terms of the hunt for a consecutive Big XII crown.  And with that, we are already onto the 3rd pick of the 15th round.  And it's a Saint Edward's pitcher---Blake Holub.  Good on him.  

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Surprised that some more of our guys have not been picked.  Maybe they wanted  more than clubs were willing to pay.

I’m assuming Cam is going the undrafted free agent route. Idk what stevens is gonna do. Trying to not get my hopes on a few guys but this is shaping up perfectly 

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m assuming Cam is going the undrafted free agent route. Idk what stevens is gonna do. Trying to not get my hopes on a few guys but this is shaping up perfectly 

Can, Melendez & Hansen were the guys I thought would be gone.

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Can, Melendez & Hansen were the guys I thought would be gone.

That's one we're gonna have to sweat.  16th round to a non-contender, traditionally low-paying franchise...Melendez.  He really should come back developmentally but maybe this is high as his star gets.  I would like to gently remind him before he has visions of Miami, their A-ball franchise is in Beloit, Wisconsin.  He also needs to develop more in the field.  I think he comes back, but what do we know?  Congrats to him either way.  

Did not have Kubichek as our next pitcher taken.  Hmmm, that could be tempting for him to bolt in the 18th.  

Shit, hope he comes back.  We'll probably sweat this one more than Melendez actually.  

I think that would be very likely for him.  He could easily slide into our Saturday role and move himself up into Top 7/Top third of the draft territory.  Still, I think the Mets calling before the final couple of rounds has to be tempting to him.  Did not see him going ahead of Stevens though.  Good problem for all involved though.  

And there's Cam in the 19th to Kansas City.   I guess at 23.5 years of age, he gone.  Their low-A squad in Columbia, SC is in a fun part of town and a cool stadium.  He's got the tools, hope he makes it.  He's the most likely gone after Madden and Quintanilla.  Then followed closely by Kubichek who I'd put at 50/50 right now.  Melendez, I'd put at 80/20 coming back.  

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And there's Cam in the 19th to Kansas City.   I guess at 23.5 years of age, he gone.  Their low-A squad in Columbia, SC is in a fun part of town and a cool stadium.  He's got the tools, hope he makes it.  He's the most likely gone after Madden and Quintanilla.  Then followed closely by Kubichek who I'd put at 50/50 right now.  Melendez, I'd put at 80/20 coming back.  

Cam was gone even if he wasn't drafted. 

10 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Cam was gone even if he wasn't drafted. 

Yeah, my bad.  I've been speaking in the "who will go if drafted here or there" kinda mentality for two days.  Plus all the covid-19 eligibility shit, I forget sometimes...that after two seasons of this pandemic and tectonic changes to the draft and minor league ball, some guys are just done playing 4-5 years of college baseball.  

That Fairfield SS just got picked up in the 20th.  Good for him.  

Looks like we will have a handful of guys not get picked who can come back under eligibility "waiver".  UNless they're holding out for UDFA status.  

Melendez and Kubichek are looking like the two we will be waiting to see if they return. 

Kendall Rogers is friends with people on the Longhorn staff so if he thinks Melendez is returning he likely has intel. It also makes sense for Melendez to return. 

No clue what happens with Kubichek. 

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Melendez and Kubichek are looking like the two we will be waiting to see if they return. 

Kendall Rogers is friends with people on the Longhorn staff so if he thinks Melendez is returning he likely has intel. It also makes sense for Melendez to return. 

No clue what happens with Kubichek. 

Odd Kubichek got picked up before Hansen and stevens. And looks like we’re actually gonna get our whole recruiting class on campus. Melendez is definitely back. Play some in the field then get picked in the 5th or some shit next year 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kam Fields the next to last dude to be drafted. Good for him.

I fully expect everybody who got drafted to sign. It would take some real confidence that they have a big year in them for Ivan and Kubichek to return. Especially in Kubichek's case as we just signed a ton of pitchers and it looks like both Stevens and Hansen will be back. 

So maybe Melendez comes back but I wouldn't bet on it or anything.

Edited by Valmy77