Boo fucking hoo Ashli Babbitt

Gooby

Fair enough. While I wouldn't say "absolutely" that is only in a pedantic sense in that we can't know for certainty. But I would at least say very likely saved lives. I certainly think the officer made the correct decision so not trying to cast any aspersion on the shooting itself, but I also think the ghoulish glee is over the top.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Fair enough. While I wouldn't say "absolutely" that is only in a pedantic sense in that we can't know for certainty. But I would at least say very likely saved lives. I certainly think the officer made the correct decision so not trying to cast any aspersion on the shooting itself, but I also think the ghoulish glee is over the top.

furrowed brow noted, dad

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Babbitt sucked and her death, on balance, may have saved lives by preventing further intrusion. But celebrating her death with such glee is pretty gross.

the same way all of kids with their heads blasted off in uvalde something something

• Hook 'Em 1

There was once a terrorist who was part of an attack on our country.  When he was shot dead, we celebrated.

Then there was another terrorist who was part of an attack on our country, and she was shot dead.

Al Qaeda, Y'all Qaeda, don't make a shit -- when a terrorist attacking/who attacked my country gets shot dead, I smile.  Because that's what actual patriots do.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

but I also think the ghoulish glee is over the top.

We laugh when some "hold my beer" dumbass gets out of the car at a national park to get a selfie and a fucking bison runs his ass through, so I fully understand the laughing at her for ignoring orders and going through a barricaded door where multiple people with guns were pointing them her way. Ultimate fuck around and find out moment and I fully admit to laughing at it.

But she was into qanon which automatically means she was mentally ill, and she was clearly ramped up by those assholes, and the people around her made little-to-no attempt at getting her mental help, so maybe the glee is misplaced.  She needed psychological help.

I have an in-law who is mentally ill as well and she fully bought into the qanon stuff, and for a while she was traveling to Trump rallies, etc. (living out of her car) so I get that aspect, and when a mentally ill person goes down the qanon rabbit hole, it's hard to get them back.  We can't get her to get mental help - mental health/medical industry is a conspiracy in her eyes, but she can't explain what's evil (I asked if she believed vaccines were tracking chips and she's savvy enough to know how fucking stupid she would sound if she said yes). Her family is mostly medical professionals, and she's hypocritical as fuck given that she lives off of her parents, who are retired medical professionals.

But we do the best we can - we monitor her spending, and make it clear that if she tries to buy a gun, travel out of state, go to something like the Jan. 6th bullshit, etc., that her parents will %100 cut her off, put her tent and belongings on the road outside of their property, take her car away, and she'll be under a fucking bridge in no time flat, instead of living in a tent in her parents' backyard, or in her car.  She gets angry about this stuff, but the family's response is "go get a fucking job and support yourself and you can do whatever the fuck you want, but as long as your parents are supporting your 40-something year-old ass, they will have a say in what you do."

Its for another thread, but personally, I'm at the point that they need to 100% cut her off, because all they are doing is creating a problem for the siblings to deal with later on, and nobody is going to put up money for her to continue living in somebody's backyard, having a car, spending her days posting conspiracy bullshit on the internet, etc.

Babbitt needed somebody close to her to at least try and rein in her bullshit, instead of being surrounded by people who encouraged it.  Even if she couldn't control herself or get mental help, there should have been somebody that prevented her travels, controlled her spending/habits, etc. and she'd still be alive.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Almost as gross as celebrating her by calling her a patriot and a martyr.

This.  The crowd who celebrates her as a patriot/marty has no room to bitch at those who point out that she did the equivalent of fucking with a bison when all the park signs say "don't fuck with the bison or you will be killed".  When a bunch of dudes in suits and earpieces point guns at you, walk the other way.

And those fucks who call her a patriot were encouraging her mental health problems.

Meh...fuck her and everyone like her that thinks they can cast aside our democracy because its doesn't align with their conspiratorial bullshit. 

Her social media accounts suggest that she also, increasingly, embraced the conspiratorial thinking of QAnon, which has asserted that the 2020 presidential election was stolen by an elite Satan-worshiping cabal, and that it was up to ordinary people to reinstate Mr. Trump.

She retweeted a post that promised a violent uprising that would lead to Mr. Trump’s second inauguration.

“Nothing will stop us,” she wrote on Twitter the day before her death. “They can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours …. dark to light!”

Her brother said she was passionate about Mr. Trump’s cause, and believed she was standing up for the American people.

“I know it mattered to her a lot at the end of her life,” he said. “It mattered so much that she died for it.”

Sure, in an ideal world, maybe she could have received mental health counseling and things would be different. But we live in the real world, and I'll save my feelings of remorse for Officer Brian D. Sicknick. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We laugh when some "hold my beer" dumbass gets out of the car at a national park to get a selfie and a fucking bison runs his ass through, so I fully understand the laughing at her for ignoring orders and going through a barricaded door where multiple people with guns were pointing them her way.

Beyond that, the door had a huge pane of glass through which she could see multiple cops with weapons drawn.  She apparently had no ability to foresee cause and effect.  Maybe she saw too many movies where the "good guy" manages to take out a dozen "bad guys", but she was definitely disconnected from reality.  Fuck around, find out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Beyond that, the door had a huge pane of glass through which she could see multiple cops with weapons drawn.  She apparently had no ability to foresee cause and effect.  Maybe she saw too many movies where the "good guy" manages to take out a dozen "bad guys", but she was definitely disconnected from reality.  Fuck around, find out.

She served in the Air Force.  At some point, there was probably a chance that she would have been made aware that there are areas on certain AF bases that you don't go, or guys with guns will show up rapidly and point them at you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It just sucks that she’s the only traitor who got shot that day. 

As gun crazy as this fucking country is I'm surprised it was a shootout with most insurrectionists shooting each other

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
Gun is definitely not fun

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

She was part of a mob that walked past or through cops all day. She expected the guys behind the doors to retreat when she got in their face, just like all the others had during the riot. She was unfortunate enough to find the guys that had a charge to protect and nowhere else to go. FAFO.

5 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Babbitt sucked and her death, on balance, may have saved lives by preventing further intrusion. But celebrating her death with such glee is pretty gross.

had she followed the officer’s instructions, she’d be alive and would still be a horrible human being 

• Hook 'Em 1

she was an insurrectionist and intended harm to congressional members of the United States or why else was she so intent on entering that location? For whatever reason, she bought into the conspiratorial narratives that she read on the internet that told her to not trust that institution. She deserves derision of the Benedict Arnolds and their ilk. 

Saying otherwise is disingenuous pearl clutching. Surly don't play that.... as you well know.

damon wayans snap GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The officer gave her plenty of warnings.

The loaded gun pointed at her head as she tried to crawl through broken glass to get to members of congress down the hall should have been a dead giveaway. Well I guess it was huh. 

14 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

She was part of a mob that walked past or through cops all day. She expected the guys behind the doors to retreat when she got in their face, just like all the others had during the riot. She was unfortunate enough to find the guys that had a charge to protect and nowhere else to go. FAFO.

Should have happened when the bicycle barricades got picked up. And should have been NG troops manning the barricades 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Should have happened when the bicycle barricades got picked up. And should have been NG troops manning the barricades 

There was a shot the other night during the hearings of the first Proud Boy to get through into the Capitol, and the cops watching him come in. That dude should have taken one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

The loaded gun pointed at her head as she tried to crawl through broken glass to get to members of congress down the hall should have been a dead giveaway. Well I guess it was huh. 

surly maga gqp isn’t the smartest bunch, they’re still calling it murder. I’ll call it self defense, that idiot was going to kill that cop 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

surly maga gqp isn’t the smartest bunch, they’re still calling it murder. I’ll call it self defense, that idiot was going to kill that cop 

They would have no problem with a cop gunning down some meth addict charging at them.

There isn’t much difference between somebody on meth versus some mentally ill person who follows Q - neither is dealing with reality, and both can be quite dangerous to others around them.

• Like 1

Google news showed me an article that apparently her husband/ex was on newsmax saying she was trying to stop the riot.  Of course he said something to the tune of ‘the left’ wanting to disparage her, and he has evidence that she was telling people to stop.  

Bullshit.  She was caught up in the fever dream after years of indoctrination and after fucking around all day, finally found out.  

Personally I’m glad she did…that moment seemed to be where the crest finally broke.  If there’d been legit security/NG there to begin with, woulda happened a lot sooner.  

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Google news showed me an article that apparently her husband/ex was on newsmax saying she was trying to stop the riot.  Of course he said something to the tune of ‘the left’ wanting to disparage her, and he has evidence that she was telling people to stop.

If only we had video.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

You're wrong, but thanks for sharing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

Bullshit.  She was caught up in the fever dream after years of indoctrination and after fucking around all day, finally found out.  

Personally I’m glad she did…that moment seemed to be where the crest finally broke.  If there’d been legit security/NG there to begin with, woulda happened a lot sooner.  

Plus her social media, etc., kind of tipped everybody off to her intentions.

Her husband was probably trying to get ahead of people asking why he let her fall down the Qanon rabbit hole without getting her help.

Then again, she and her hubby were in a "throuple" which is totally on brand with the GQP and its family values.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/14/ashli-babbitt-husband-were-reportedly-in-a-throuple/

Despite shacking up with Ashli and her husband, Joyce said she didn’t follow her girlfriend on Twitter and didn’t know about her fierce belief in QAnon conspiracy theories, the report said.

capitol-babbitt-throuple-19-3.jpg?qualit

I'm going to call bullshit - Qanon people are like fucking crossfitters - they make damned sure and tell you that they are into qanon or do CrossFit or whatever.  They may not use the exact phrases like "Q" or "Qanon", but they'll get into red pill/blue pill shit, or democrats trafficking kids or whatever.  It's not hard once you know a handful of the qanon obsessions.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

I personally don't relish in her death, but my finding of dark humor on the topic is a visceral reaction to what the right has become, as they seem to love justifying or even taking glee in the death of black people who are shot to death by police, or more notably their love for baby Kyle and their joy in the death of the protesters he murdered. Her death was more than justified, more of them should have been shot to be honest, but they weren't quite the right hue for police to reign bullets on them indiscriminately.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Maybe she'll get a posthumous degree from aggy

They can rebury her with the dogs so she always knows the score during each phase of decomposition. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...