Most Hated Modern Invention

Horn_Spanker

JFC. Auto-Tune deserves mention. It’s so obnoxious and over-used. First of all, when I hear you using it, I assume it means you can’t sing and that’s why you’re using it. Do the young people actually like the sound of it? Even if they did, I would think that fad would’ve died out by now. I mean, we got into synth drums and keyboards back in the 80’s but that didn’t last all that long before it died out. This is like if the 80’s lasted for decades. Just now there were musical performers on Colbert, Kimmel, and Fallon all using Auto-Tune. And it all sounded like crap. Learn to sing, motherfuckers.

The Vocoder was kind of cool for a while but it wasn’t used by practically everyone on practically everything. Even if you like Auto-Tune, how are you not sick and tired of it by now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Streaming services.  Having all your shows housed on a cable system wasn't good enough.  Now we have to spend nearly the same amount on all the services, spend far more time trying to find the show we like.  Now I can't turn on the TV and watch a random episode of Seinfeld or catch the 1 millionth rerun of Shankshank cause I cut the cord.

http://www.justwatch.com

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Jambon said:

Proliferation of single use plastic products.  Damage is far reaching.

I have a feeling that eventually, future generations will look at the amount of shit that we throw away without even thinking about it in the same way that we now view the sort of intentional littering like in the Mad Men roadside picnic scene where they just leave all their shit right where they ate and get back in the car. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I have a feeling that eventually, future generations will look at the amount of shit that we throw away without even thinking about it in the same way that we now view the sort of intentional littering like in the Mad Men roadside picnic scene where they just leave all their shit right where they ate and get back in the car. 

When we get colonized by aliens, the first thing they'll make us do is sift through the landfills and sort out every item for specific recycling. It'll be like the scene in Band of Brothers where the German citizens are cleaning up the concentration camp. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

When we get colonized by aliens, the first thing they'll make us do is sift through the landfills and sort out every item for specific recycling. It'll be like the scene in Band of Brothers where the German citizens are cleaning up the concentration camp. 

Can't argue with that. 

Or perhaps once the earth is covered in water and mankind is as extinct as the dinosaurs, the amount of plastic and other biodegradable shit will become as prized and versatile for our aquatic replacement species as all the dead dinosaurs and plant life of 300 million years ago is for us right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/17/2021 at 6:27 PM, Okie State said:
On 7/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, honolulu horn said:
risk I'm willing to take

This. I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize.

I have clients and subcontractors calling from different numbers and area codes so I usually pick up.

If it ends up being a spam call, I block the phone number so I won’t have to deal with it again.

My blocked call list is somewhere between 150-200 long. 

My latest irritation is spam text messages.

Because the phone #'s these originate from are spoofed (text as well as phone calls), I don't block the # because one day it may actually be a *real* new calling customer who is trying to reach me.  It's an irritation but not anything to put real aggravation into.

2 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Or how we today view the fact that people would literally shit in the streets and waterways in developing cities a few hundred years ago, or how not too long ago we just allowed manufacturing plants to pour whatever toxic shit they had in any old waterway. It's insane that we think we can sustain just throwing shit away when we are already at 8 billion people and growing fast.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Very ethical question:

How can we as a global society operate an economy without it being overwhelmingly consumer oriented?  Without manufacturing.  We create too much shit (AND like to hold onto too much shit... when my kids were around 9 or 10, the wife was consumed for awhile on the notion of keeping their scribbled papers from when they were 2, 3, 4 years old.  My conversation was "Well, if one of them became President or famous like Michael Jordan then yeah - maybe this would all be pretty cool to have in their museum or library.  But we realistically don't have the space to keep all of this crap.

Example of consumer / manufacturing:  In the Star Trek future, "food" comes from a replicator.  So apparently the money doesn't come from producing food, it maybe comes from repairing a replicator when it breaks?  From supplying whatever raw material thing it is that creates the replicated "Tea, Earl Grey - hot" (including the mug that Picard never places in the replicator).

3 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Very ethical question:

How can we as a global society operate an economy without it being overwhelmingly consumer oriented?  Without manufacturing.  We create too much shit (AND like to hold onto too much shit... when my kids were around 9 or 10, the wife was consumed for awhile on the notion of keeping their scribbled papers from when they were 2, 3, 4 years old.  My conversation was "Well, if one of them became President or famous like Michael Jordan then yeah - maybe this would all be pretty cool to have in their museum or library.  But we realistically don't have the space to keep all of this crap.

Example of consumer / manufacturing:  In the Star Trek future, "food" comes from a replicator.  So apparently the money doesn't come from producing food, it maybe comes from repairing a replicator when it breaks?  From supplying whatever raw material thing it is that creates the replicated "Tea, Earl Grey - hot" (including the mug that Picard never places in the replicator).

The most obvious solution is to ban single use plastics and pay whatever it costs to recycle as much as possible. I get physically sick whenever I see an article about the "economics" of recycling (it's too expensive, we have to ship it to China, etc.) The problem is that we don't place any price or value on not shitting up the planet. It should be accounted for in how we manufacture, distribute, price, and return things. It's not a profit, so nobody gives a shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1) Social Media

2) 24 Hour News Cycle

3) Smartphones

4) Analytics in music - killed creativity

5) Sliced Bread

I might flip your #1 and #2. I think the 24-hour news cycle led to the invention, or the proliferation, of Social Media type stuff where it matters most to a news corporation (paper or TV) to be first, no matter what. And also to the filling of 24 hours worth of crap.

Much to the detriment of society.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Or how we today view the fact that people would literally shit in the streets and waterways in developing cities a few hundred years ago, or how not too long ago we just allowed manufacturing plants to pour whatever toxic shit they had in any old waterway. It's insane that we think we can sustain just throwing shit away when we are already at 8 billion people and growing fast.

It’s also insane to think that we won’t adapt to changing conditions and adjust our behavior. We did adapt away from defecating in the streets. We did adapt away from pouring toxic chemicals in the waterways.  Those things seemed to be indispensable, “muh rights” type stuff too. 

Every generation thinks that it has spotted the issue that is going to wipe mankind out. Yet we keep adapting and actually improving our lot on this third rock from the sun. Globally, people have a higher standard of living by any conceivable measure than at any point in history. To think that we as a species can’t, or won’t, adapt to existential threats ignores every data point. 
The world is falling apart and our grandchildren are going to inherit a sterile, hostile world. Or maybe not. 

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Please place item in the bag.

I don't have issues with self-serve checkouts in theory and use them quite often.  But that bullshit about placing items in the fucking bag when I've already done so is rage inducing.

“If I’m doing this myself, then keep up, motherfucker…”

On 7/20/2021 at 10:11 AM, ROFL BOX said:

Very ethical question:

Most hated modern invention: People who fuck up cool threads.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/20/2021 at 2:00 PM, nnm said:

It’s also insane to think that we won’t adapt to changing conditions and adjust our behavior. We did adapt away from defecating in the streets. 

Lol. Speak for yourself, guy. I shit in the streets like it's my job.

• Haha 2