Monkeypox 2022 - Stop Sharing Your DIrty Underwear

atomheartbevo

Sounds like this could spread to any group of people that have close contact but everyone should be able to recognize that the disease is over-indexing in gay men. Politically the govt can’t tell gay men to stop going to clubs or gyms, and definitely can’t say to avoid non-monogamous sex. So what’s the end game here? Hope that vaccine production ramps up quickly?

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So what’s the end game here? Hope that vaccine production ramps up quickly?

Do nothing and hope that it disappears. If it doesn't disappear, play the blame game until it becomes absolutely necessary to act and impossible for both parties to ignore. It is the American way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sounds like this could spread to any group of people that have close contact but everyone should be able to recognize that the disease is over-indexing in gay men. Politically the govt can’t tell gay men to stop going to clubs or gyms, and definitely can’t say to avoid non-monogamous sex. So what’s the end game here? Hope that vaccine production ramps up quickly?

I understand the politics and no CR but couldn’t they tell them to abstain and cite Covid protocols that we had early on. I mean back in the early sights of Covid if you got it you had to self isolate. I understand optics about it looking like it’s picking on a group of people. But when 98% of the virus is pretty much confined to that community…it’s like asking them to abstain for the greater good so this doesn’t get out of control (spread from bi men to others.) maybe im just naive. It just seems like a common sense thing to do. That’s what the majority of us were asking to do and we complied. And we didn’t have vaccinations for months. I just don’t see it as being homophobic or whatever. Again im also pretty naive. I don’t think if I were a gay man with monkeypox I’d get butt hurt (or offended) about being asked to stay the fuck home. (And yes the pun was intended because this is surly)

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I understand the politics and no CR but couldn’t they tell them to abstain and cite Covid protocols that we had early on. I mean back in the early sights of Covid if you got it you had to self isolate. I understand optics about it looking like it’s picking on a group of people. But when 98% of the virus is pretty much confined to that community…it’s like asking them to abstain for the greater good so this doesn’t get out of control (spread from bi men to others.) maybe im just naive. It just seems like a common sense thing to do. That’s what the majority of us were asking to do and we complied. And we didn’t have vaccinations for months. I just don’t see it as being homophobic or whatever. Again im also pretty naive. I don’t think if I were a gay man with monkeypox I’d get butt hurt (or offended) about being asked to stay the fuck home. (And yes the pun was intended because this is surly)

It's not very easy to tell any one group to do anything. And name one group that is aligned with each other or has a common voice that can suggest or recommend that group does something? And if that group has been historically marginalized, that's creates even larger problems of asking them to do something.

"Hey <insert race, religion, gender, sexual orientation> - you all need to do the following: A, B C.  - signed everyone else"  That type of statement never works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's not very easy to tell any one group to do anything. And name one group that is aligned with each other or has a common voice that can suggest or recommend that group does something? And if that group has been historically marginalized, that's creates even larger problems of asking them to do something.

"Hey <insert race, religion, gender, sexual orientation> - you all need to do the following: A, B C.  - signed everyone else"  That type of statement never works.

I get precisely what you’re saying. In the scheme of things it’s just ridiculous to me is all.

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Politically we can’t tell people to stop fucking other people in the ass for a little bit, but we can shut down schools for elementary children. What a world. 

What is even more ridiculous is that it is aimed at the people who damn well know or should know (based on the rash, flu-like symptoms, sores and scabs) they have the virus (not like with many others that can be asymptomatic) to abstain. That is the issue I am having. If you have the virus don't have the sex, share towels, clothing, sheets, go grind on someone, go to a bathhouse...just wait until the scabs fall off and your skin heals. Its a matter of weeks. 

From a few days ago. 

3,500 cases as of a week ago. 

Also,

“The WHO’s monkeypox expert, Rosamund Lewis, said men who have sex with men are the group at the highest risk of infection right now. About 99% of cases are among men, and at least 95% of those patients are men who have sex with men, Lewis said.”

“Experts have not been able to conclude whether monkeypox represents a new type of sexually transmitted infection, though it is clearly transmissible during sex, according to Andy Seale, an advisor to the WHO who specializes in STIs. It’s also unclear whether condoms would help reduce the risk of infection because monkeypox spreads through close physical contact similar to herpes, Seale said.
“The critical piece is really focusing in on close, intimate personal contact, prolonged contact that happens during sex as the key mode of transmission,” Seale said. Scientists in Spain and Italy detected monkeypox DNA in semen samples from patients, though it’s unclear whether the virus is actually spreading that way.”

Lewis also said “the 4% of men that don’t have sex with men only sucked that 1 dick one time and they’re totally straight now”
  • Haha 3

The problem with many diseases is that someone can be contagious before there are obvious signs they have the disease.

It’s very rare that people knowingly or intentionally pass on a dangerous disease to others. So much so, that this situations make the news when alleged or proven to be true.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The problem with many diseases is that someone can be contagious before there are obvious signs they have the disease.

It’s very rare that people knowingly or intentionally pass on a dangerous disease to others. So much so, that this situations make the news when alleged or proven to be true.

Incorrect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Once you've had it, am I immume for life?

No. You’ll need to be immunized and boosted at regular intervals indefinitely. 

28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Politically we can’t tell people to stop fucking other people in the ass for a little bit, but we can shut down schools for elementary children. What a world. 

Stop Butt Sex For Two Weeks, To Stop The Spread. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tell that to Derek Jeter. https://www.therichest.com/most-shocking/20-hollywood-celebrities-who-probably-have-herpes/

And then there’s good old Derek Jeter . . . who’s basically PATIENT ZERO for celebrity herpes among Hollywood’s younger royalty.

Jeter reportedly passed it along to Jessica Alba, Mariah Carey, Alyssa Milano, Jessica Biel, Scarlett Johansson and Vanessa Minnillo.

Meanwhile, Justin Timberlake and Orlando Bloom may have been indirectly infected by Jeter. Justin is, of course, married to Jessica Biel . . . while Orlando reportedly caught it from Minnillo . . . who also passed it on to her current husband, Nick Lachey. https://www.the101.fm/2014/05/06/celebs-with-the-herp/

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Tell that to Derek Jeter. https://www.therichest.com/most-shocking/20-hollywood-celebrities-who-probably-have-herpes/

And then there’s good old Derek Jeter . . . who’s basically PATIENT ZERO for celebrity herpes among Hollywood’s younger royalty.

Jeter reportedly passed it along to Jessica Alba, Mariah Carey, Alyssa Milano, Jessica Biel, Scarlett Johansson and Vanessa Minnillo.

Meanwhile, Justin Timberlake and Orlando Bloom may have been indirectly infected by Jeter. Justin is, of course, married to Jessica Biel . . . while Orlando reportedly caught it from Minnillo . . . who also passed it on to her current husband, Nick Lachey. https://www.the101.fm/2014/05/06/celebs-with-the-herp/

You proved my point that it’s a news story when this occurs. I also don’t put herpes in the same category as a deadly disease.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The Aristocrats!!!

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You proved my point that it’s a news story when this occurs. I also don’t put herpes in the same category as a deadly disease.

I think your point was that people don't knowingly give other people dangerous diseases. That's just false. In fact, I think that it is quite the opposite. I think people generally don't give a fuck. If someone's kid has signs of the flu or covid but hasn't been tested, that kid is going to school until the nurse calls and tells the parents that they have to pick them up. Daycare is even worse.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think your point was that people don't knowingly give other people dangerous diseases. That's just false. In fact, I think that it is quite the opposite. I think people generally don't give a fuck. If someone's kid has signs of the flu or covid but hasn't been tested, that kid is going to school until the nurse calls and tells the parents that they have to pick them up. Daycare is even worse.

Given what the medical community has learned about monkeypox over the last 50 plus years the information they have is if you have monkeypox you ARE NOT asymptomatic. You have flu-like symptoms and then a rash and then sores and scabs. When that rash shows up you are contagious and can spread it to others. So if you have the rash and the sores and scabs you’re a POS for going out and grinding or whatever. And should be shamed. (Maybe a step too far??) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, I think so. Abstinence as a policy approach didn’t work with AIDS (or COVID either). Little puzzled by the insinuation on this thread that the gays don’t care - was at a coworker’s bday in the Castro last weekend and it was all they talked about. Folks are waiting nine hours in line for a shot and not using communal laundry. Really just a matter of vaccine supply. 

• Like 1

Exactly. We know 4 gay men in NYC and LA that immediately got vaccinated. These are in their 50s and 60s and are very careful. These people lived through aids and played by the covid rules a lot better than some of the veiled homophobes on this thread. This virus will become endemic and it's something we'll all have to be careful of.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

With all due respect to the last very good posts @We’reTexas and @Days.Off

my posts were specifically referring to people with the monkeypox who are contagious and asking them to abstain from the ways in which it could spread for a few weeks until they are no longer contagious. I don’t think that is a big ask and is specifically referring to those people with the monkeypox who are contagious. That’s not a big ask at all. 

27 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Exactly. We know 4 gay men in NYC and LA that immediately got vaccinated. These are in their 50s and 60s and are very careful. These people lived through aids and played by the covid rules a lot better than some of the veiled homophobes on this thread. This virus will become endemic and it's something we'll all have to be careful of.

If all gay men get vaccinated, and the vaccine is effective, we should be all good. 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Given what the medical community has learned about monkeypox over the last 50 plus years the information they have is if you have monkeypox you ARE NOT asymptomatic. You have flu-like symptoms and then a rash and then sores and scabs. When that rash shows up you are contagious and can spread it to others. So if you have the rash and the sores and scabs you’re a POS for going out and grinding or whatever. And should be shamed. (Maybe a step too far??) 

This isn’t true. There are people who have monkeypox but don’t get the scabs. 

And the idea on this thread that it is only spread through butt sex is wildly dumb. (And yes, I get most people are “trying” to be fucking h-i-larious)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

This isn’t true. There are people who have monkeypox but don’t get the scabs. 

And the idea on this thread that it is only spread through butt sex is wildly dumb. (And yes, I get most people are “trying” to be fucking h-i-larious)

I just think we are trying to defend the indefensible here. You should know if you have monkey pox. this is not an asymptomatic virus. The primary way it is spread is through sexual activity. 98% of people with it are MSM. Yes, we've discussed the other ways that it can spread. But it is primarily being spread by MSM. The gay men community should be demanding those that KNOW they have monkey pox abstain from activities (including buttfucking) until they are no longer contagious. Not a big ask. If you have it and are contagious you have symptoms. If you go out and spread it when you knowingly have it you are a POS. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I just think we are trying to defend the indefensible here. You should know if you have monkey pox. this is not an asymptomatic virus. The primary way it is spread is through sexual activity. 98% of people with it are MSM. Yes, we've discussed the other ways that it can spread. But it is primarily being spread by MSM. The gay men community should be demanding those that KNOW they have monkey pox abstain from activities (including buttfucking) until they are no longer contagious. Not a big ask. If you have it and are contagious you have symptoms. If you go out and spread it when you knowingly have it you are a POS. 

I think you’re trying really hard to not understand. 

While *most* of the cases involve the typical symptoms, the American version of this is taking on new symptoms that aren’t typically associated with monkeypox.  Essentially, not every symptom is the same.  What you’re saying is you should know and what the research is showing is that it’s getting more difficult to know because not every single case is starting off the same way and has the same symptoms.  This is what is (for a lack of a better word) dangerous here.  

As mentioned in my previous post, you may never develop the scabs but you may have a fever, chills, tiredness, etc.  What other things does that remind you of?  So you could have those things and chalk it up to a cold/flu, go get some DayQuil, and think you’re fine.  Not to mention, you could have developed those symptoms not thru sex. 

No one is denying that it’s primarily in one community; the problem, though, is posters here who say it’s “only a gay disease” and that’s just simply not true.  The other problem is assuming it’s only passed via sex.  That’s not true either.  And you’re correct, the gays should be doing better—but did you mention in your post the long ass lines gays are facing when trying to go get vaccinated?  (Bay Area gays were lining up at 3-4am and waiting in line 8 hrs only to be told they had no more vaccines).  There’s also lots of stories of gays immediately calling their PCPs trying to get a vaccine only to be told there were none available. 

So you (and others on this thread) should also be giving props to the people in that community who actually are trying to do the right thing and not assuming gays are going wild Wild West out there because they don’t give a shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

Little puzzled by the insinuation on this thread that the gays don’t care - was at a coworker’s bday in the Castro last weekend and it was all they talked about. Folks are waiting nine hours in line for a shot and not using communal laundry. Really just a matter of vaccine supply. 

Don't see insinuation suggesting the gays don't care, but rather suggesting the ridiculousness of social-policing what is/isn't kosher speech. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Don't see insinuation suggesting the gays don't care, but rather suggesting the ridiculousness of social-policing what is/isn't kosher speech. 

It's funny what our sacred cows are when it comes to public health messaging.

• Hook 'Em 3

And if that group has been historically marginalized, that's creates even larger problems of asking them to do something.
"Hey - you all need to do the following: A, B C.  - signed everyone else"  That type of statement never works.

Unfortunately, this is extra true right now. This is a group that is under immense stress and persecution for who they are, looking at a massive loss of rights from the Supremes. They’re already very scared of losing their rights to marry. It’s a pretty inopportune time for the government to tell them to stop partying and fucking when they rightfully fear it may be the last few months it’s still legal for them to do so.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's funny what our sacred cows are when it comes to public health messaging.

Exactly. We are trying to save lives and stop the spread of the disease but it is important that we not offend any community. Particularly marginalized ones. Particularly the marginalized one that is  ALMOST (not quite---98%) responsible for the spread and for bringing right over here to the US. We know that it can be spread by other means (healthcare workers treating the patients, towels, sheets, sexual activity which is ALMOST but not quite exclusively MSM.) We know that there are bi men who can spread it to women via sex. But it is important we NOT specifically ask that community to stand down and also mention the "other" ways that we can get it.

I would really like to know when and how Patient Zero (dude who brought it over here) acquired it.

Is it literally a STD? Like only transmitted by sexual contact? No. 

For all intents and purposes is it a STD? Yes. Why does infection and transmission happen in one population? How is it transmitted between them? 

That’s exactly why it’s not an “STD.” You think kids get chickenpox from preschool orgies? You could also catch the flu from fucking someone who has the flu. That doesn’t make influenza an STD.
  • Hook 'Em 2

“The WHO’s monkeypox expert, Rosamund Lewis, said men who have sex with men are the group at the highest risk of infection right now. About 99% of cases are among men, and at least 95% of those patients are men who have sex with men, Lewis said.”

Again, that’s a statistic right now. Maybe this ends up fizzling out quickly and never spreads substantially beyond the gay male populace. But relying on this fact is like saying in February 2020 that you have nothing to worry about re:Covid unless you’re a Chinese person in Wuhan.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

high quality GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Monkeypox 2022 - Stop Sharing Your DIrty Underwear