Monkeypox 2022 - Stop Sharing Your DIrty Underwear

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

As mentioned in my previous post, you may never develop the scabs but you may have a fever, chills, tiredness, etc.  What other things does that remind you of?  So you could have those things and chalk it up to a cold/flu, go get some DayQuil, and think you’re fine. 

Time to go clubbing?

20 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Again, that’s a statistic right now. Maybe this ends up fizzling out quickly and never spreads substantially beyond the gay male populace. But relying on this fact is like saying in February 2020 that you have nothing to worry about re:Covid unless you’re a Chinese person in Wuhan.

Seems like this one can be easily contained at this point.  Respiratory transmission seems to play minimal role if any. But we probably won't contain it.  Because the actions that might be required are harder than shutting down schools across the nation and moving every industry to zoom. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Again, that’s a statistic right now. Maybe this ends up fizzling out quickly and never spreads substantially beyond the gay male populace. But relying on this fact is like saying in February 2020 that you have nothing to worry about re:Covid unless you’re a Chinese person in Wuhan.

You realize that if it was contained in Wuhan, it would have never become a worldwide pandemic, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

You do not have to have lesions to spread our version of MP. You do not have to feel sick to be contagious. You can maybe feel a mild tingle in a spot. That is enough. You may have a faint rash barely visible in most light. That is enough. You might have an itch on your crotch but spread to someone while swapping spit.

Can you provide some data on this? It contradicts what I heard during Grand Rounds. But even if true, the greatest spread occurs during the symptomatic phase.

• Hook 'Em 1

I want to elaborate:

While the same sort of response that COVID required is not necessary for monkeypox, that doesn't mean that enough is being done to combat the virus. Respiratory transmission is rare and requires prolonged close exposure—making out, like I mentioned as one vector—so we don't need mask mandates or anything. It requires close attention to your own body, your partner's body, open and honest communication about sexual and travel histories, and either monogamy or closed polycules to not change your sexual behaviors. Of course group sex events, circuit parties, etc., should be put off for a while. A lot of them have.

This virus is already devastating the mental health of MSMs, in particular gay Boomers/Gen Xers/early Milleninals who experienced the AIDS crisis, when HIV was a death sentence instead of the change in perspective that it is now. There is almost no help for them here, beyond clinics like mine, and we're severely limited in our capacity to assist with anything beyond sexual wellness, HIV care, gender care, and a very very small slice of mental health and primary practice. 

Vaccine access is huge. Cali and NYC have massive supply, which, fair enough. We have an extremely limited supply, and the health department is using it right now almost exclusively for people who are confirmed to have had exposure to the virus. We need vaccines most of all.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I can sympathize with that absolutely. My aunt was diagnosed with early onset dementia and spent what very little was left of her good days (memory) dealing with things shut down from Covid. She was on a clock so I understand. 

but if people know they have monkey pox and are contagious I have no sympathy for them if they choose to go out and spread it. 

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Can you provide some data on this? It contradicts what I heard during Grand Rounds. But even if true, the greatest spread occurs during the symptomatic phase.

I wish I could provide any sort of concrete data, and I'm going to edit the phrasing that was much more absolute than I meant for it to be (this is an emotional subject for me). Unfortunately I have no access to any stats in my org. All I know is that we have patients from my clinic who were in contact with people experiencing prodromal symptoms, and then both eventually developed lesions that were confirmed to be positive MP.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

This thread is moving more now due to participation so reposting the article I posted a few pages back…

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01686-z

The United States has over 5,000 cases now since patient zero just a few months ago. What am I missing I guess? Why the spread so much here? And not so in underdeveloped countries? A bunch of sex parties is that the difference? You’re just not seeing as rapid a spread. You’re seeing it spread here. And I don’t think because it’s just mutation. It’s making choices. Travel and free will…jmo. 

3310E28D-8D85-4C9D-A7F5-2C1555EB03DB.png

@trauma babe, thank you for your posts. They are informative and full of empathy for those that have been exposed or those that are worried about being exposed to this new disease. It's exactly what we need when dealing with an outbreak of an unknown illness. Thank you also for not using a broad brush to stereotype a large group, like homosexual men, or to make ridiculous pronouncements about what the federal government's response should or should not be.

If you were my nurse, I know that I would be in capable and caring hands.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

Look, I dealt with COVID for almost two years, got sick of it and left the bedside to work in a sex clinic. Just in time for monkeypox.

You do not have to have lesions to spread our version of MP. You can have the mildest of symptoms and spread the virus. You can maybe feel a mild tingle in a spot. That is enough. You may have a faint rash barely visible in most light. That is enough. You might have an itch on your crotch and lip but spread to someone while swapping spit.

Men who have sex with men are the people in our society most comfortable with touching other people they just met in intimate ways. That's why it's primarily in this population so far. The same sort of response isn't necessitated because it's not as contagious and it's not going to kill over a million people in a couple of years.

Should Daddyland have been cancelled? Yeah, it should have been. But, as mentioned earlier, that's a big ask when you have decades of social progress being actively threatened. The fuckers who came after abortion in Texas are coming for PrEP meds next. Make AIDS Great Again! Many MSMs will stop attending group functions, but a lot won't because this might be the last time they can attend without fear of being jailed. It's a little different from not being able to eat at Chili's for a couple of weeks.

Take this bullshit to the Cloak Room where it belongs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

A good third or more of DT should be moved to CR if that's what passes as a political post. Literally like one phrase was in any way overtly political, and it's the truth, so if Imma or BL wants to move or edit that post to avoid hurting an old homophobe's feelings, idgaf.

Edited by trauma babe
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

We literally shut down the entire country two years ago. Come on. Daddyland?

My brother in Christ, this is not directly comparable to COVID and you know it.

Edited by trauma babe
precision
  • Hook 'Em 2

Because this is Surly I am disappointed in the thread title. If ever there was a thread a time to use "Prepare your Anus..." and yet...

I kid I kid. I am just glad monkey pox is not lethal but I absolutely feel for those experiencing painful symptoms. My cousin is gay and we are the closest of friends. Bridesmaid at his wedding and all that. Ride or die type friends (not just relatives.) His take and those of his friends are a bit different. They are in that age demographic and didn't behave as though its Pompeii whenever they were single.

No one should ever paint any group of people with any kind of brush (Whitey Go Home) but if you engage in behavior that is risky (unprotected consensual sex with multiple partners) you assuming a risk and as such the consequences (whether you like them or not.) If you are a walking stereotype (Karens I am talking about ya) the label you get shouldn't be all that surprising or insulting. 

6 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

My brother in Christ, this is not directly comparable to COVID and you know it.

Of course.  We know a whole shit load more about monkey pox than we did about COVID. This can be contained.  It's clustered in a manageable context for the time being.   

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

That’s exactly why it’s not an “STD.” You think kids get chickenpox from preschool orgies? You could also catch the flu from fucking someone who has the flu. That doesn’t make influenza an STD.

I said for all intents and purposes, it currently is. 

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Unfortunately, this is extra true right now. This is a group that is under immense stress and persecution for who they are, looking at a massive loss of rights from the Supremes. They’re already very scared of losing their rights to marry. It’s a pretty inopportune time for the government to tell them to stop partying and fucking when they rightfully fear it may be the last few months it’s still legal for them to do so.

Wait, we’re about to ban gay partying and sex? News to me. 

• Fuck You 6

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Seems like this one can be easily contained at this point.  Respiratory transmission seems to play minimal role if any. But we probably won't contain it.  Because the actions that might be required are harder than shutting down schools across the nation and moving every industry to zoom. 

Honest question: schools and church ok to shut down to stop the spread but not Dore Alley Kink fest or Big Mike’s tool box?  Seems we have a window to stop the spread

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

I said for all intents and purposes, it currently is. 

Wait, we’re about to ban gay partying and sex? News to me. 

Aggy midnight yell practice attendance gonna nosedive faster than the aggy rollercoaster 

Edited by Js1

Just now, trauma babe said:

COVID is magnitudes more transmissible and deadly than monkeypox. Give your balls a tug.

Honestly don't understand your pushback here.  Seems very knee jerk. This can be contained. We know how, we just don't have the will to say what needs to be said because reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Honest question: schools and church ok to shut down to stop the spread but not Dore Alley Kink fest or Big Mike’s tool box?  Seems we have a window to stop the spread

Church is stupid and fucking boring. At least this other shit is fun.

Pretty good article here that gets straight to the point. I was able to read it for free somehow:

The monkeypox virus can spread from person to person through close physical contact with infectious lesions or pustules, by touching items — like clothing or bedding — that previously touched the rash, or via the respiratory droplets produced by coughing or sneezing.

Monkeypox can also be transmitted from mother to fetus via the placenta or through close contact during and after birth.

It is unclear whether monkeypox is also transmitted sexually, though in a study of more than 500 cases that were reported in 16 countries between April and June, researchers found that 98 percent of monkeypox cases were among men who have sex with men. Researchers in another study found evidence of monkeypox virus D.N.A. in saliva, urine, feces and semen, but they do not yet know if the virus found there is able to replicate and infect another individual.

Some experts and academics are concerned about the stigma that comes with labeling monkeypox a sexually transmitted infection. Others argue that it is important to acknowledge sex as a possible risk factor in order to help those who are most vulnerable right now — men who have sex with men.

It has much less to do what is said as compared to how the message is communicated. It's not like we're not telling our patients to avoid group sex parties right now because we're afraid they'll think we're judging them.

I think concerns about this turning into an HIV/AIDs-like hysteria among the straights are legit, and that's why it's very important to be cautious with announcements and the language therein.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

It has much less to do what is said as compared to how the message is communicated. It's not like we're not telling our patients to avoid group sex parties right now because we're afraid they'll think we're judging them.

I think concerns about this turning into an HIV/AIDs-like hysteria among the straights are legit, and that's why it's very important to be cautious with announcements and the language therein.

I get that I really do. And we can learn from our mistakes in that regard. I think it is important to be mindful of that. But also to have the gay community rally behind calls to abstain if you know that you are infected. It is important to learn from our failures but not become so paralyzed by them that we don't come out and tell people the truth. Facts shouldn't be about shame or blame. They are the facts. Its important that the community most impacted and responsible for the spread of the monkey pox be armed with all the facts. 

I read that 41% of those SMS diagnosed with the monkey pox virus also have HIV. That statistic is somewhat alarming to me, I guess. I can go find the links for that as well. 

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I get that I really do. And we can learn from our mistakes in that regard. I think it is important to be mindful of that. But also to have the gay community rally behind calls to abstain if you know that you are infected. It is important to learn from our failures but not become so paralyzed by them that we don't come out and tell people the truth. Facts shouldn't be about shame or blame. They are the facts. Its important that the community most impacted and responsible for the spread of the monkey pox be armed with all the facts. 

I read that 41% of those SMS diagnosed with the monkey pox virus also have HIV. That statistic is somewhat alarming to me, I guess. I can go find the links for that as well. 

People who receive regular care for HIV can have a completely normal sex life, and if you're an MSM and enjoy going to group sex parties, it's extraordinarily easy to prevent yourself from contracting HIV, even if you have sex with people who are positive. It's a pretty irrelevant stat in this context, tbh, other than for the trivia that those people will probably have a rougher time of it than other HIV-negative people.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't worry, y'all, once there's ample vaccine supply in Austin, pretty much every gay/bi man in Austin is gonna sign up for it. Vaccine hesitancy is much less prevalent in this population.

I spend half of my day now responding to messages begging us for vaccine access. We just don't have it yet.

Edited by trauma babe

32 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

I think concerns about this turning into an HIV/AIDs-like hysteria among the straights are legit

Hysteria?  We just shut down school in multiple nations for months and longer. We completely transformed the workplace for a majority of Americans.  We turned down our economy and passed out checks to everybody triggering crazy ass economic consequences.  We stoked discord among individuals in our society based on tribalistic virtue signaling.  We fired people who didn't want to get certain shots and shamed others in celebration. Being worried about hysteria is in the rear view mirror.  

There is an infectious disease being transmitted in a tightly contained context at the moment.  We either nip it in the bud, or it will be a more substantive problem in the future.  Fortunately we are dealing with a dsDNA virus, so this bullshit variant nonsense should not come to pass with MP. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

“Learn from our mistakes in that regard.” You’re adorable.
We COULD be rational and call for significant caution, prevention, and abstention from certain high risk activities, particularly among gay men.
Instead, within the next few days, this will be used as another “gay plague! God has cast his judgment!” like was done with HIV, except worse: it will be the singular message on every conservative outlet, the Facebook memes they create, etc. This will be used to complete the demonization and casting out of gay people, as has been openly promised and declared as a goal. You know it’s true. I know it’s true. Even Anastasis knows it’s true, although he’ll avoid actually acknowledging it, instead citing us to some ancient Babylonian text that first mentioned “pox.”
We learn nothing, except how to be shittier the next time around.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

People who receive regular care for HIV can have a completely normal sex life, and if you're an MSM and enjoy going to group sex parties, it's extraordinarily easy to prevent yourself from contracting HIV, even if you have sex with people who are positive. It's a pretty irrelevant stat in this context, tbh, other than for the trivia that those people will probably have a rougher time of it than other HIV-negative people.

Personally, I think people should learn from their mistakes. Caution should be the response to sex after HIV, not a return to the person's normal sex life. And no it's not an irrelevant statistic. I'd like to see the difference in symptoms and transmission between people with weakened immune systems and the general population.

And on a separate note, if we can get transmission rates to drop and get R below 1, monkeypox will disappear before becoming a problem for day cares and the general population.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Even Anastasis knows it’s true, although he’ll avoid actually acknowledging it, instead citing us to some ancient Babylonian text that first mentioned “pox.”

I think that the first smallpox epidemic was documented by the Hittites. 

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Personally, I think people should learn from their mistakes. Caution should be the response to sex after HIV, not a return to the person's normal sex life. And no it's not an irrelevant statistic. I'd like to see the difference in symptoms and transmission between people with weakened immune systems and the general population.

And on a separate note, if we can get transmission rates to drop and get R below 1, monkeypox will disappear before becoming a problem for day cares and the general population.

Never said you shouldn't change your habits. Changing your habits doesn't make your sex life irregular. 

But once your viral load is undetectable, the virus is untransmittable. There's never been a positive seroconversion. So take your ART, make sure you don't run out, make sure your partner knows your status, and fuck to your consented to heart's content. If you lapse in treatment, use condoms or abstain until you become U=U.

Please, tell me more about how you think HIV+ people must remain chaste and untouchable as their penance. 🙄

ETA: fair point about the statistic

Edited by trauma babe

Dore Alley was scaled down significantly, and they were still getting heat from LGBTQ groups for not being more open about MP and how they were going to deal with it.  Previous years, that place was jam packed, people touching everywhere because it was so packed.  Today on the news, it looked like DKR when Kansas comes to town. 

On the flip side though, Dore Alley had a MP testing site done by a medical group (I think???) so that they can take samples and learn more about if they can detect MP on asymptotic persons. 

8 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Please, tell me more about how you think HIV+ people must remain chaste and untouchable as their penance.

I assume you meant sticking with one partner, notifying potential partners of your HIV status, and avoiding gangbangs. I wouldn't call that chaste but YMMV. But if you call that chaste:

YARN | I want to party with you, cowboy. | Stripes (1981) | Video gifs by  quotes | daf435ac | 紗

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Dore Alley was scaled down significantly, and they were still getting heat from LGBTQ groups for not being more open about MP and how they were going to deal with it.  Previous years, that place was jam packed, people touching everywhere because it was so packed.  Today on the news, it looked like DKR when Kansas comes to town. 

On the flip side though, Dore Alley had a MP testing site done by a medical group (I think???) so that they can take samples and learn more about if they can detect MP on asymptotic persons. 

Not sure whether to believe this reasonable view or the bad faith Facebook meme-speak routine of the resident Russian troll.

• Hook 'Em 2

so dumb questions time

isnt the vaccine actually the small pox vaccine which is really nasty? like causes major boil and can spread the live virus to kids causing them to be paralyzed for life?  

if that is the case, wouldn’t it be better to let this painful, but temporary and non-lethal disease run it’s corse rather than paralyze a bunch of kids?  

again, sorry if this is a dumb question. 

edit: i asked my wife who grew up in a third world country that still gives the small pox shot and has the scar.

she was too young to remember, but said it was horrible when they gave it to her little brother

really hope we have made upgrades or something 

Edited by ONE YARD

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

“Learn from our mistakes in that regard.” You’re adorable.
We COULD be rational and call for significant caution, prevention, and abstention from certain high risk activities, particularly among gay men.
Instead, within the next few days, this will be used as another “gay plague! God has cast his judgment!” like was done with HIV, except worse: it will be the singular message on every conservative outlet, the Facebook memes they create, etc. This will be used to complete the demonization and casting out of gay people, as has been openly promised and declared as a goal. You know it’s true. I know it’s true. Even Anastasis knows it’s true, although he’ll avoid actually acknowledging it, instead citing us to some ancient Babylonian text that first mentioned “pox.”
We learn nothing, except how to be shittier the next time around.

I’m gonna follow up on this prediction “within the next few days”.

It strikes me as hyperbolic nonsense. You need to calm down.

I’m guessing the majority of people pointing out that there’s an affected demographic are only doing so to demonstrate that a population wide public health emergency state is a bit over the top. People are rightfully wary of these emergency states now. 

Edited by Humble Beast

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

This is off topic, but it’s clear you don’t know how HIV meds work, what they do to a person’s system, and then how PReP works with HIV negative individuals. 

Carry on with Monkeypox 2022 - The Last of Cornholio 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Monkeypox 2022 - Stop Sharing Your DIrty Underwear