What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

https://abc13.com/landscaper-beaten-houston-texas-man-while-on-the-job-landscaping-paciano-gonzalez-hernandez/10892321/

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A landscaper was brutally beaten in the front yard of a home he was working on by a man he said was mad over where he parked.

Paciano Gonzalez-Hernandez said a man approached him on June 26 saying he was blocking his car in at a dead end in the 1700 block of Lexington.

The man, later identified by police as Chester Irving, is accused of hitting Paciano until he was unconscious.

Typically, Paciano works alone on Saturdays, but on this particular day, his wife Amalia and his 2-year-old daughter were with him.

"God is the one who sent me there in that moment," Amalia said.

His wife witnessed the attack.

"When I saw the guy punch and hit him, I saw he went to the floor," Amalia recalled. "Then, I grabbed my baby and I said, 'Help! Help!'"

Amalia said Irving yelled racial slurs at her husband and continued beating him, even after he was lying on the ground in his own blood. Someone nearby helped Amalia call 911.

Irving was arrested that day and charged with aggravated assault. Paciano went to the hospital where he stayed for four days. He was unconscious for two of them and had memory loss when he finally regained consciousness.

He said he had a cut on the back of his head, a cracked jaw and blood clots in his head.

Weeks later and still, Paciano is recovering. He has not been able to return to work. In the next few weeks, he will return to the doctor for a check-up.

"I lose balance when I move, like fast ... my head," Paciano said.

Neighbors set up a GoFundMe page for Paciano and his family to ease the burden while he is not able to work.

Rabab Sabbahi and Kareem Abdur-Rahaman described Paciano as extremely hardworking and reliable.

The couple said he has been caring for their yard for seven years and does work for several other residents in the Boulevard Oaks neighborhood.

"He looks out for us and we look out for him," Abdur-Rahaman said. "Hopefully this shows support from people from all different backgrounds and shows him there are more people who recognize the good that you do and support you than there are lunatics out there."

Irving has a lengthy criminal history in Harris County, according to court records, including numerous drug charges and charges of trespassing, burglary, deadly conduct, weapons charges, terroristic threat, prostitution, and theft and evading. The address listed in court records for Irving show he does not live in the area. Amalia said people who lived nearby told her they did not know him.

He is currently being held without bond at the Harris County Jail.

The accused was probably out on multiple felony bonds. Any incumbent judge in Houston/Harris County will not receive my vote in the next election. 

Unfortunate example: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Bail-for-murder-suspect-who-had-7-prior-bonds-set-16319423.php

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Irving has a lengthy criminal history in Harris County, according to court records, including numerous drug charges and charges of trespassing, burglary, deadly conduct, weapons charges, terroristic threat, prostitution, and theft and evading.

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Violent crime in the city has been on the rise. Between that, the rise in cost of living, flooding, and traffic/sprawl, I am fucking over this place. Houston sucks.

Crime in Houston is on the rise?  It's exploding!!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The accused was probably out on multiple felony bonds. Any incumbent judge in Houston/Harris County will not receive my vote in the next election. 

Unfortunate example: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Bail-for-murder-suspect-who-had-7-prior-bonds-set-16319423.php

I didn’t know Lake Travis was in Harris County

• Hook 'Em 1

The bond thing is straight bullshit. I understood the need for bail reform, but they lost their damn minds.

I know it’s always been in certain parts of Houston but it is absolutely getting crazier.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

Yep.  This type of crime is exclusive to Houston, the City of Eternal Hate and Brutal Beatings.  

Wasn't there a Shaggy poster that had issues with people parking in front of his house?  Anyone seen him?

I have never forgotten that story. It was a classic 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I absolutely agree but not in this case. This dude is just an old-fashioned recidivist who's been arrested dozens of times but never quite earned a long stretch in the pen. By the standards of the authorities, maybe not you or me.

A more detailed account:

First conviction came at 17 for burglary of a home, then another before he was 20 for petty theft. He was stealing cars for much of his early 20s, usually while strapped, adding gun charges to his convictions. 

There is a big gap in his "resume" from 1993-1998, suggesting he was either doing time or living elsewhere or some combo. And well, it gets kind of boring. More of the same -- cocaine bust here, codeine bust there, never with any weight; theft, burglary, forgery, the usual junky shit. At 51 years old, this is the first time he's been arrested for a violent crime. Yeah, he once brandished a screwdriver at a dude but that amounted only to deadly conduct, a class A misd; and he did threaten to beat some chick's ass, but that was just a terroristic threat.

It seems abundantly plain this dude was never going to be a solid citizen, but IDK if it's economically feasible to lock every one of these dudes forever, and every now and then one of them gets sick of their own shit and pulls themself together.

Now that he crossed the line into violence I would certainly hope that he gets a decade plus....But like you said, he will probably bond out first and go commit more mayhem.  

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I agree. I didn’t want to be shouted down for exaggerating, but it truly is. Road rage is getting insane here. Shootings are out of control.

Road rage is out of control in SA as well, at least 5-6 road rage murders this year so far. In April a 17 year old got killed here in a road rage shooting. Some asshole in an SUV had an altercation with a red car, lost it in traffic, then shot into the teen’s car by mistake because it was also red. The kid had nothing to do with anything. Lots of overly sensitive, hopelessly stupid pussies with guns running around. 

• Rage+1 1

I absolutely agree but not in this case. This dude is just an old-fashioned recidivist who's been arrested dozens of times but never quite earned a long stretch in the pen. By the standards of the authorities, maybe not you or me.
A more detailed account:
First conviction came at 17 for burglary of a home, then another before he was 20 for petty theft. He was stealing cars for much of his early 20s, usually while strapped, adding gun charges to his convictions. 
There is a big gap in his "resume" from 1993-1998, suggesting he was either doing time or living elsewhere or some combo. And well, it gets kind of boring. More of the same -- cocaine bust here, codeine bust there, never with any weight; theft, burglary, forgery, the usual junky shit. At 51 years old, this is the first time he's been arrested for a violent crime. Yeah, he once brandished a screwdriver at a dude but that amounted only to deadly conduct, a class A misd; and he did threaten to beat some chick's ass, but that was just a terroristic threat.

cd34b03b2a799376ecca54da8d506a8d.jpg

So when’s his first day at ESPN?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I agree. I didn’t want to be shouted down for exaggerating, but it truly is. Road rage is getting insane here. Shootings are out of control.

8 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Crime in Houston is on the rise?  It's exploding!!

SA too ese.  Again, Alamo fucking Heights.

Screenprinted two days ago...

Image_7-16-21_at_10.38_AM.jpg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

A more detailed account:
It seems abundantly plain this dude was never going to be a solid citizen, but IDK if it's economically feasible to lock every one of these dudes forever, and every now and then one of them gets sick of their own shit and pulls themself together.
Now that he crossed the line into violence I would certainly hope that he gets a decade plus....But like you said, he will probably bond out first and go commit more mayhem.  

I get you're point.

But if we took criminals and guns more serious, maybe he gets his shit together or is locked until he is not a threat. I'll leave the political shit alone but you know where politicians put the focus.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

There was a shooting the other day over a foot race. Houston is circling the drain. Shit is out of control. 

This story didn’t surprise me. Plenty of fights at my high school were averted with a foot race. It was kind of like a duel. Unfortunately this one ended in an actual duel. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

SA too ese.  Again, Alamo fucking Heights.

Screenprinted two days ago...

Image_7-16-21_at_10.38_AM.jpg

Haha I know some of those people

thats also right down the street from me. Had no idea that happened

Edited by Doc Reeves

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Violent crime in the city has been on the rise. Between that, the rise in cost of living, flooding, and traffic/sprawl, I am fucking over this place. Houston sucks.

Where are you thinking about moving to? Everywhere sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Houston is what it is. You can live/work here and occasionally enjoy it. There are worse options, namely Midland. It’s gotten much better since 2005.

I’ve lived in each of the big 4, and I’d rank Houston last. And I say this as a guy that has lived in Houston for 2+ decades.

People that retire here are nuts.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Road rage is out of control in SA as well, at least 5-6 road rage murders this year so far. In April a 17 year old got killed here in a road rage shooting. Some asshole in an SUV had an altercation with a red car, lost it in traffic, then shot into the teen’s car by mistake because it was also red. The kid had nothing to do with anything. Lots of overly sensitive, hopelessly stupid pussies with guns running around. 

That's cute.  We have had that many in the past few months and a few were fatalities.  Whole year?  Fuck, no one can count that high.

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

There was a shooting the other day over a foot race. Houston is circling the drain. Shit is out of control. 

I posted that in the "news stories that remind you of surly thread".  pay attention.

2 hours ago, lmao said:

Where are you thinking about moving to? Everywhere sucks.

To hell, which means I am staying put.  I can't find a job after COVID and my wife loves her job and company.  So I am fucking stuck.  Fuck Houston.  Fuck Oil & Gas.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Houston is what it is. You can live/work here and occasionally enjoy it. There are worse options, namely Midland. It’s gotten much better since 2005.

I’ve lived in each of the big 4, and I’d rank Houston last. And I say this as a guy that has lived in Houston for 2+ decades.

People that retire here are nuts.

Houston cost of living is starting to get out of control.  I am not Surly 1%, but at one point, household income was $200K.  Even then, I wouldn't have felt comfortable buying close to the loop or inside it.  Hell, at this point, if I sold my house, I am not sure where I could afford to buy.  Fuck this place and its flooding, mosquito infested ass.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Et tu, native houstonian Patrick Swayze?

Honestly, I wish my dad had taken the job in Brazil right before I was born.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.672971bef5bbe3ad687f9284d06bb613.jpegspacer.png

Look, my agency caters to a very niche clientele.  If you can't afford $5 handjobs or $10 blowjobs, I suggest you go to trade school and become a plumber.

Edited by Patricio Swayze

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That's cute.  We have had that many in the past few months and a few were fatalities.  Whole year?  Fuck, no one can count that high.

I posted that in the "news stories that remind you of surly thread".  pay attention.

To hell, which means I am staying put.  I can't find a job after COVID and my wife loves her job and company.  So I am fucking stuck.  Fuck Houston.  Fuck Oil & Gas.

Houston cost of living is starting to get out of control.  I am not Surly 1%, but at one point, household income was $200K.  Even then, I wouldn't have felt comfortable buying close to the loop or inside it.  Hell, at this point, if I sold my house, I am not sure where I could afford to buy.  Fuck this place and its flooding, mosquito infested ass.

Look, my agency caters to a very niche clientele.  If you can't afford $5 handjobs or $10 blowjobs, I suggest you go to trade school and become a plumber.

Inside the Loop is a big place. There are spots going towards Hobby and out east that are affordable, but nobody wants to live over there. And I don’t blame them.

I’m not going to jump up on a soap box here, but everybody in Houston wants to live west or north. This is going to cause plenty of affordability problems.

It’s not as good as Austin. Fully acknowledged. But it’s still much, much cheaper by any metric. If Houston was just as expensive as Austin, yes that’s a problem, but it’s not there. And probably will never be. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Look, I just think her belly looks strikingly similar to Admiral Ackbar’s face.   

that or a strung up thanksgiving turkey if you include her titties 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you are middle class (real middle class, not surly fuck you im middle class), you aren’t living anywhere near the city. If you have kids, and can’t afford private school, you aren’t living in Houston proper. Here is a quick and dirty map of areas of Houston where you want to live (green) ans don’t want to live (red). I spend months of my life in the hoods of Houston doing photography (all those photos I posted are mine). Fuck this city. Oh cool, the mayor was dancing on 7/13?  Hopefully the mayor will be dancing when we catch up with Chicago when it comes to murders or Detroit when it comes to unemployment. Don’t @ me you fucking millennial douchbages, I am left of center, but I have had it. Fuck this place. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Pat, I hear you.  I was Houstonian for a long time and got out about 9 years ago.  If you think living in Houston is expensive, you are in for shock. Houston is cheap compared to anywhere.  I am not going to disclose where I live, but it is not in a major city, homes where i live are selling for $180/sqft.  Compared to Houston homes its not even close to that, in a comparable neighborhood.  Everything has been going up in price since the new year(gee I wonder why).  Oil and gas rigs have slowly been coming back since January when they all got shut down on drilling.  But prices have have been on the rise.  Which means your electric bill is on the rise, and a gallon of gas is on the rise.  Houston has some poor leadership, plus the poor leadership on the national level has created a bad place to live. I hate it being from Houston, but I will never go back.

2 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Pat, I hear you.  I was Houstonian for a long time and got out about 9 years ago.  If you think living in Houston is expensive, you are in for shock. Houston is cheap compared to anywhere.  I am not going to disclose where I live, but it is not in a major city, homes where i live are selling for $180/sqft.  Compared to Houston homes its not even close to that, in a comparable neighborhood.  Everything has been going up in price since the new year(gee I wonder why).  Oil and gas rigs have slowly been coming back since January when they all got shut down on drilling.  But prices have have been on the rise.  Which means your electric bill is on the rise, and a gallon of gas is on the rise.  Houston has some poor leadership, plus the poor leadership on the national level has created a bad place to live. I hate it being from Houston, but I will never go back.

I am fully aware of the cost of living.  I lived in Austin off and on for 10 years.  A house my brother bought in 2002 in Austin for $200k and sold a few years later is now listed at $1.2 MM.  A house in Austin I lived in 2012/13 that was worth $260K is now worth $650K.  I also have lived in DC where cost of living has skyrocketed out of control.  Regardless of all that, if you want to by a house inside the loop or just outside of it, with good schools (LULZ HISD), you are on the hook for $400k at the minimum.  Your average middle class family can't afford that.