What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I wouldn’t say that. I’m not rich at all and I can’t remember the last AA lawn guy I’ve seen. That is in no way a knock on anyone, I’ve just never seen it.  We do have the same 3-4 crews that just stay in the hood it seems.  

Johnny Sack sock?

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

All this talk of lawn care has us straying from the point: that Houston is run by a syndicate of Crips, MS-13, Chinese Tongs and Vietnamese gangs with a murder rate exceeding Honduras and more rape than the Congo. Or so I've been told.

To each their own, but I don't get it. I chalk it up to being able to read gang signs and tattoos. I could not imagine moving to an inner city area and allowing my daughter to go to school adjacent to a rough hood. Said hood just happens to be loaded with dudes affiliated with local gang-bangers. She falls for one of them, and ends up getting killed or hurt because she was hanging around when the enemy came calling. No thank you. I will live out here in one of these burbs you guys refer to as "soulless". Let her date some regular dude, or at worst some wanna be thug who never hurt a soul in his life.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have seen plenty of AA lawn crews in Houston, but they are definitely not the majority.

I’m not going to paste all the links, but fuck man, the last week of crime of crime in Houston has been crazy. Pregnant woman and husband gunned down at a soccer game in Klein? Fuck this place.

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have seen plenty of AA lawn crews in Houston, but they are definitely not the majority.

I’m not going to paste all the links, but fuck man, the last week of crime of crime in Houston has been crazy. Pregnant woman and husband gunned down at a soccer game in Klein? Fuck this place.

Klein isn't Houston. Don't put that crazy on us.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:21 AM, fattyflattie said:

I live down the street from Hart Lee Dykes. His kids do the lawn like 2x a week. His yard is fucking fantastic.  

Does he pay them under the table? Or maybe a $50 handshake?

Sorry, disgruntled OSU fan here.

26 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Does he pay them under the table? Or maybe a $50 handshake?

Sorry, disgruntled OSU fan here.

I’m a bit young to remember but wasn’t he instrumental in fucking aggy on that deal too?   Per his age, his kids look too old to still be home but I don’t know. I do know they keep that yard in tip top shape.  Also, he as a huge black poodle that looks like a horse. Seems like a decent enough guy when I’ve said hello etc. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m a bit young to remember but wasn’t he instrumental in fucking aggy on that deal too?   Per his age, his kids look too old to still be home but I don’t know. I do know they keep that yard in tip top shape.  Also, he as a huge black poodle that looks like a horse. Seems like a decent enough guy when I’ve said hello etc. 

He got 4 schools on probation: A&M, OSU, OU and Illinois. The grand slam of cheating, I guess. 

11 hours ago, Sandman said:

I live down the street from Hart Lee Dykes.

In the mid 1980s, Bay City HS had the country's most highly-sought football player in Dykes, most-coveted basketball player in LaBradford Smith, and a future Olympic gold medal sprinter (Joe DeLoach) all enrolled at the same time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/26/2021 at 9:16 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

You should have been in Houston in the 80s.

This is nothing.

I've missed the last page or so since I've been busy eating at Chili's three times a day (it's our only option) and driving in 6 hours of traffic to get to city folk and culture.  The peace and quiet is nice out here, but I sure wish we had internet and paved roads outside the inner loop.  Guess I should have lived downtown where I can overlook being mugged in my driveway in order to afford a 3 story 2000 sqft home with no yard, no amenities and shitty public schools.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

In the mid 1980s, Bay City HS had the country's most highly-sought football player in Dykes, most-coveted basketball player in LaBradford Smith, and a future Olympic gold medal sprinter (Joe DeLoach) all enrolled at the same time. 

Yeah, but in the late 90s they had Beau Trahan

I disagree.  Their presence has made a huge difference in our neighborhood.  I am not contending they are some kind of badasses.  But I have lived in Afton Oaks for 15 years.  The first probably 10 or so we had off duty HPD patrolling.  I swear I saw them maybe once a month.  I see Seal constantly.  And they are armed and do have K9.  We went from having a home break in about every couple months to maybe one per year.  The constant presence helps.  Criminals really don't want a dog getting after their ass.

The baseline being a few incidents a year is kind of my point. You can also likely attribute any decrease in crime in Afton Oaks to gentrification in some of the surrounding neighborhoods as opposed to private security.

If y’all are paying them enough to be constantly visible I’m sure it can have an impact though. Where I live they come around just enough to remind me I live amongst the Karens but nowhere near often enough to provide any sort of deterrent.

Can be -- Mo City and Rosenberg. 

Ah, yes, lower/working class Missouri City with a median HH income over $85k and 40+ percent of HH earning over $100k. Fewer than 25 percent earn under $50k.

Rosenberg is tiny compared to most of the other FB county suburbs and not really what comes to mind when someone uses that term generally.

Fort Bend is one of the highest income and most highly educated counties in Texas and one of the richest counties in America when accounting for cost of living. It’s silly to label those suburbs as reflective of lower/working class Houston.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Ah, yes, lower/working class Missouri City with a median HH income over $85k and 40+ percent of HH earning over $100k. Fewer than 25 percent earn under $50k.

Rosenberg is tiny compared to most of the other FB county suburbs and not really what comes to mind when someone uses that term generally.

Fort Bend is one of the highest income and most highly educated counties in Texas and one of the richest counties in America when accounting for cost of living. It’s silly to label those suburbs as reflective of lower/working class Houston.

Rosenberg has 40k people now...Yes, there are nice parts of Missouri City. There are also parts that are downright hood. By and large Fort Bend County is middle class to upper middle class but it can also be working class and even ghetto. A rapper like Z-Ro would not rep Missouri City so hard if it was perceived the same way Sugar Land is...and yes, technically both his neighborhood (Ridgemont) and high school (Willowridge) are Houston but come on...

And it's also not Houston. So that's why I quoted the guy who was talking about Houston.

You Sugarland folks sure are noisy.

lol I was quoting someone trying to suggest your post was incorrect because of experience in Fort Bend, jfc

No, most of the crime is people incorrectly setting their alarms.  We have quite a few black families in my neighborhood as well as quite a few Hispanic residents.  I'm on a corner lot but the three fence lines I share are all minorities.  Venezuelan, Colombian, and African American is how it breaks down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

No, most of the crime is people incorrectly setting their alarms.  We have quite a few black families in my neighborhood as well as quite a few Hispanic residents.  I'm on a corner lot but the three fence lines I share are all minorities.  Venezuelan, Colombian, and African American is how it breaks down. 

Got news for you -- most of the crime is outside the loop these days. There is a whole lot of 'hood out there. Meanwhile, the Heights and Montrose have calmed down a fuckton since I grew up in what is now the Museum District but in the '70s and '80s might as well have been New Orleans. 

Gulfton, Kashmere Gardens, Acres Homes, Trinity Gardens, Homestead, Fondren Southwest, Sunnyside, South Park, Galena Park, Jacinto City, Northside, Independence Heights, Inwood, shit, man from the Antoine to the MLK, the inner ring of suburbia is mostly fucked. So you must live in bumfuck. Bumfuck Houston can be interesting, but it can also be tedious as shit, and the weather and natural beauty do it no favors. 

Is a lack of crime worth all that? Is that all that matters in life?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Got news for you -- most of the crime is outside the loop these days. There is a whole lot of 'hood out there. Meanwhile, the Heights and Montrose have calmed down a fuckton since I grew up in what is now the Museum District but in the '70s and '80s might as well have been New Orleans. 

Gulfton, Kashmere Gardens, Acres Homes, Trinity Gardens, Homestead, Fondren Southwest, Sunnyside, South Park, Galena Park, Jacinto City, Northside, Independence Heights, Inwood, shit, man from the Antoine to the MLK, the inner ring of suburbia is mostly fucked. So you must live in bumfuck. Bumfuck Houston can be interesting, but it can also be tedious as shit, and the weather and natural beauty do it no favors. 

Is a lack of crime worth all that? Is that all that matters in life?

high quality GIF

Independence Heights and Northside are gentrifying at lightning pace. Pretty crazy

On 7/20/2021 at 11:12 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've moved away for reasons unrelated to crime, and in fact, there had been a long and very striking decrease over the years I lived in the southeastern corner of Timbergrove, four blocks from Kroger. 

Circa 2010-2013 or so there were shit-tons of back-door kick-in burglaries, but developers kept buying up ratty apartment complexes and tearing them down and by about 2015 you hardly every heard about break-ins at all. I belonged to several Karen groups and it virtually ceased to be a thing.

At some point Heights High School and maybe even Waltrip will turn the corner and be seen as "good" schools again...You'd think that would send home values through the roof but I just don't see how much higher they can go short-term, meaning their value is already acting like the schools are exemplary now. 

You're tripping your ass off.

Leak at the Lubrizol plant off 225 in deer park. I can smell it here in Seabrook.  It’s pretty bad. They say it is h2s, but this doesn’t smell like h2s, and I work with it every day. Nextdoor is awesome. “My neighbor says we’re at 20 ppm!!!” - person south of me (farther away) If they were really at 20 ppm, everyone along fairmont and north would already be dead. Not to mention the multiple mobile monitors around that are reporting zero.  We have about 8 personal and 20-30 fixed at the plant i work with that it down wind and even closer to lubrizol and all are zero. I think someone just can’t tell the difference between o2 and h2s on their multi gas monitor. 

Don’t know what it is, but it does smell awful. Between the 3 other incidents at Lyondell, gulbrandson, and dow, going to be some very pissed off torch wielding residents. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I think most of Memorial has it figured out. They have their own local governments, police and fire departments. And Spring Branch ISD schools. They only thing they need COH for is water and sewage. 

Just be rich enough to have private security and fire services?

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Just be rich enough to have private security and fire services?

How is having their own police force and fire department considered private and rich enough?   

You’re grinding your politics into the conversation (as usual). The Memorial Villages are incorporated, have their own city governments, building departments, water authority, sewer system, PDs and FDs.

Nothing private about it.  

But you knew that.    

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, deadshank said:

How is having their own police force and fire department considered private and rich enough?   

You’re grinding your politics into the conversation (as usual). The Memorial Villages are incorporated, have their own city governments, building departments, water authority, sewer system, PDs and FDs.

Nothing private about it.  

But you knew that.    

Yes. Incorporated towns are not “private”. I get it. Thank you for the lesson in civil law. If you get 51% of the area to agree, you can incorporate an area, and everyone is responsible to pay for the fire and police. If everyone in the area happens to be incredibly wealthy, then they can afford a better police force and response time. Just like West U. 

I don’t know how pointing out facts is “grinding my politics into the conversation (as usual)” but it seems I’ve struck a nerve with you in the past or you live in Memorial, so my apologies. I was merely pointing out that there is a reason certain incorporated towns like Memorial (Piney Point and Hedwig) have it figured out compared to greater Houston. Of course it’s not “private” as anyone can move into Piney Point, but the average house will run you 2 million. 

I will throw you an olive branch, if your argument is that smaller towns and villages, regardless of wealth, have faster response times than big city, then I see your point, so mea culpa. Although even if 5th ward was incorporated, I would argue, that crime might still be an issue. Which is why this topic is not so cut and dry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yes. Incorporated towns are not “private”. I get it. Thank you for the lesson in civil law. If you get 51% of the area to agree, you can incorporate an area, and everyone is responsible to pay for the fire and police. If everyone in the area happens to be incredibly wealthy, then they can afford a better police force and response time. Just like West U. 

I don’t know how pointing out facts is “grinding my politics into the conversation (as usual)” but it seems I’ve struck a nerve with you in the past or you live in Memorial, so my apologies. I was merely pointing out that there is a reason certain incorporated towns like Memorial (Piney Point and Hedwig) have it figured out compared to greater Houston. Of course it’s not “private” as anyone can move into Piney Point, but the average house will run you 2 million. 

I will throw you an olive branch, if your argument is that smaller towns and villages, regardless of wealth, have faster response times than big city, then I see your point, so mea culpa. Although even if 5th ward was incorporated, I would argue, that crime might still be an issue. Which is why this topic is not so cut and dry. 

That’s a lot of words to say your post was misleading and snarky.  

And it is “cut and dried” and not “cut and dry.”