What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston?

52-80

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The good inside the loop neighborhoods have private armed security.  It is safe.  The Seal Security guy with a K9 friend -- he drives by my house 10 times a day.  Shit damn near every evening he parks in front of it for 20-30 minutes.

I am in Afton Oaks.  We used to have pretty routine burglaries.  Burglars would knock on the door.  If no one answered, they go around back and break in.  Ever since we switched from off duty HPD officers, who you would never see, to Seal, who is constantly on patrol, burglaries have pretty much completely stopped.  It is a pretty small neighborhood -- 500 or so homes -- so having 24 hour armed security that constantly patrols has helped out tremendously.

You are very safe in River Oaks, West U, Southside Place, Memorial, Tanglewood, Bellaire, Heights, and plenty of other smaller neighborhoods.

The bottom of Afton Oaks is what? 800k realistically? With most going for over a million for just over 2,000 sq ft. So for a family guy like me I would be paying 2mil for what I have here? Meanwhile, I have a 13 year old daughter who I have to worry about being at home by herself when burglars are casing the joint? No sir! Seen  the Death Wish series too many time my man.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Willowbend and most of Meyerland and Westbury (east of Renrick for Meyerland and east of Hillcroft for Westbury) are perfectly safe too. There's plenty of good neighborhoods in and around the loop. 

Of course flooding is a problem for most of Meyerland and parts of Westbury. That's mostly thanks to the Katy prairie being paved over for shitty suburbs.

Westbury High School. Nuff said.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

As far as inside the loop goes, too much danger in the vicinity for this father of a pretty daughter. 

Too bad your daughter isn’t ugly so you wouldn’t have to live in the soul crushing burbs.

• Haha 2

Lulz if you think you can get anything in those neighborhoods for $400k.

I know. I went back to add that. I was also being generation today the argument that Houston is affordable. $400k for a middle class family of 3 or 4 is not affordable. Put the real value of those hoods and absolutely forget it unless you have a trust fund. I don’t.

And this isn’t meant as animosity for the 1% folks on here that can afford it. That is great. For real. However, for people who can afford it to think they what they have is affordable to middle class or even the bottom end of the upper class just shows how out of touch they are with reality.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I know. I went back to add that. I was also being generation today the argument that Houston is affordable. $400k for a middle class family of 3 or 4 is not affordable. Put the real value of those hoods and absolutely forget it unless you have a trust fund. I don’t.

And this isn’t meant as animosity for the 1% folks on here that can afford it. That is great. For real. However, for people who can afford it to think they what they have is affordable to middle class or even the bottom end of the upper class just shows how out of touch they are with reality.

Yeah, plenty of people don’t have trust funds and can afford the neighborhoods listed. I get what you’re saying regarding affordability in pockets of Houston, but plenty of people worked their asses off to afford those homes.

Houston is in TIME magazine's World's 100 greatest places of 2021.  No other Texas cities are on the list.  

THE WORLD’S GREATEST PLACES OF 2021

How they chose the list

The challenges of the past year and a half have transformed our world, and few industries have been as affected as travel, tourism and hospitality. In many ways, our third annual list of the World’s Greatest Places is a tribute to the people and businesses at the forefront of those industries who, amid extraordinary circumstances, found ways to adapt, build and innovate. It shines a light on ingenuity, creativity, revitalization and reopenings in destinations across the world.

To compile this list, TIME solicited nominations of places—including countries, regions, cities and towns—from our international network of correspondents and contributors, with an eye toward those offering new and exciting experiences.

The result: a list of 100 unique destinations, from the idyllic Portuguese town of Arouca, now home to the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge, to the continent of Antarctica, which this December will experience a rare total solar eclipse. And while it may not be possible to safely visit each place just yet, they’re all well worth reading (and dreaming) about until it’s time, once again, to explore.

Yeah, plenty of people don’t have trust funds and can afford the neighborhoods listed. I get what you’re saying regarding affordability in pockets of Houston, but plenty of people worked their asses off to afford those homes.

I don’t think you really read what I said. I didn’t say they all have trust funds.

What household income do you think is needed to pay a mortgage on a house that costs $450k? Now add daycare and/or after school program. Just that alone likely is $4500 a month.

How much does a middle class family make?

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t think you really read what I said. I didn’t say they all have trust funds.

What household income do you think is needed to pay a mortgage on a house that costs $450k? Now add daycare and/or after school program. Just that alone likely is $4500 a month.

It's way more than that my bro. I mean, we pay 10k a year just for volleyball.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dude, you literally wrote:

Put the real value of those hoods and absolutely forget it unless you have a trust fund.

You do ask a good question regarding what middle class is. I just did a quick google and grabbed the first link that looks reputable. Here’s what it says:

Pew Research defines middle-income Americans as those whose annual household income is two-thirds to double the national median (adjusted for local cost of living and household size). For a family of three, that ranges from $40,100 to $120,400 for 2018 incomes in a recent Pew study.

If I had guessed without googling, I would have put the lower end around $60k and the high end around $140k-ish.

Put the real value of those hoods and absolutely forget it unless you have a trust fund.

You do ask a good question regarding what middle class is. I just did a quick google and grabbed the first link that looks reputable. Here’s what it says:
Pew Research defines middle-income Americans as those whose annual household income is two-thirds to double the national median (adjusted for local cost of living and household size). For a family of three, that ranges from $40,100 to $120,400 for 2018 incomes in a recent Pew study.

If I had guessed without googling, I would have put the lower end around $60k and the high end around $140k-ish.

My comment was in the context of a middle class family needing a trust fund to get into those neighborhoods. Not in reference to the upper class who made their career without help.

Now with those figures, do you think a family making $140k a year before taxes can afford to own a house (and day care/school, maybe a car note, food, cell phone bills, etc) in those neighborhoods inside the loop? Property tax must suck.

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My comment was in the context of a middle class family needing a trust fund to get into those neighborhoods. Not in reference to the upper class who made their career without help.

Now with those figures, do you think a family making $140k a year before taxes can afford to own a house in those neighborhoods inside the loop?

No, but find where I ever said they could. While you’re at it, find me any other major city that people want to live in where it’s any different. Right or wrong, that’s how it is in this country. It’s not an issue unique to Houston. Look, I get that you hate the fuck out of Houston at this season in your life for a variety of reasons, but you have chosen an issue endemic in every major American city that people want to live in.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Now with those figures, do you think a family making $140k a year before taxes can afford to own a house in those neighborhoods inside the loop?

Nope.  Not at today's prices.  I bought 15 years ago and I was probably making right at 140k a year then. 

I wasn't addressing affordability, just safety. No, a middle class family cannot afford a home in a good inner loop neighborhood.  I do think because of this more close in stuff is becoming an option through gentrification.  It is a slow process.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

No, but find where I ever said they could. While you’re at it, find me any other major city that people want to live in where it’s any different. Right or wrong, that’s how it is in this country. It’s not an issue unique to Houston. Look, I get that you hate the fuck out of Houston at this season in your life for a variety of reasons, but you have chosen an issue endemic in every major American city that people want to live in.

It makes sense.  Population is increasing.  City centers are not.

I remember my grandparents almost buying a big house in River Oaks on Del Monte in between River Oaks Boulevard and Willowick in the early 90s.  It was around $700k.  I bet that same house goes for $4 million these days.

Jesus Christ man. My only argument is that Houston proper is not “affordable” as do many people claim. I am not saying Austin or Dallas. We are talking about Houston and almost everyone claims it is an affordable, low cost of living city. When in actuality, it’s not.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, royiv said:

I cannot speak for the other people in this thread, but I will explain what I know as a black man living in Texas. When we go on Volleyball trips across the country with our club team, the team is still segregated. The black and white families pretty much split up into 2 different groups, and those black families are just as well to do as the white families. Do we want it to be like that? Absolutely not, but that is the world we live in. Still. In 2021. So I know wherever my daughter goes she will be pushed into social groups with her own kind for the most part. So where those kids are coming is a concern for me.

Does that seem harsh? Probably, but I really don't care. Tanner from Bellaire wasn't about to be hanging out with Tyrell from the apartments off Chimney Rock anyway. So their opinion of living inside the loop is coming from a completely different place than mine is. That said, out here the other Black Families that can afford to live here are looking for exactly what I am looking for. We don't even have to speak about it. We simply give each other the "I see you" nod and keep it moving.

• Like 1

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Jesus Christ man. My only argument is that Houston proper is not “affordable” as do many people claim. I am not saying Austin or Dallas. We are talking about Houston and almost everyone claims it is an affordable, low cost of living city. When in actuality, it’s not.

Dude, you are seriously dense. Your definition of affordability is that you can live in the most desirable neighborhoods of a city on a middle class income. Please name me any other major city in America that fits your definition.

Dude, you are seriously dense. Your definition of affordability is that you can live in the most desirable neighborhoods of a city on a middle class income. Please name me any other major city in America that fits your definition.

Dude, I don’t know why this is so hard for you. This started out as Houston being affordable. But for who? I lived in the Heights and Oak Forest. Perfectly safe neighborhoods all things considered. Affordable for a middle class family? No. So, tell me where in Houston you would love that is affordable, where your kids can go to public school (safely and be prepared for college). Where you feel they would be safe playing in the front yard or street.

No where.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I cannot speak for the other people in this thread, but I will explain what I know as a black man living in Texas. When we go on Volleyball trips across the country with our club team, the team is still segregated. The black and white families pretty much split up into 2 different groups, and those black families are just as well to do as the white families. Do we want it to be like that? Absolutely not, but that is the world we live in. Still. In 2021. So I know wherever my daughter goes she will be pushed into social groups with her own kind for the most part. So where those kids are coming is a concern for me.

Does that seem harsh? Probably, but I really don't care. Tanner from Bellaire wasn't about to be hanging out with Tyrell from the apartments off Chimney Rock anyway. So their opinion of living inside the loop is coming from a completely different place than mine is. That said, out here the other Black Families that can afford to live here are looking for exactly what I am looking for. We don't even have to speak about it. We simply give each other the "I see you" nod and keep it moving.

The first paragraph is kind of sad, but I get it.  What is it you are looking for in the bolded?

11 minutes ago, royiv said:

Houston is very different in regards to structure. Take Austin for example. You really cannot go wrong with the entire west end of the city. Good neighborhood after good neighborhood all lined up next to one another, and it was like that for decades. Most cities are built like Austin. The middle class and up are all pretty much in the same vicinity of each other. In this city you can turn two corners from your 4 million dollar house and be in the hood. It's weird as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dude, I don’t know why this is so hard for you. This started out as Houston being affordable. But for who? I lived in the Heights and Oak Forest. Perfectly safe neighborhoods all things considered. Affordable for a middle class family? No. So, tell me where in Houston you would love that is affordable, where your kids can go to public school (safely and be prepared for college). Where you feel they would be safe playing in the front yard or street.

No where.

I think I now understand why no one is calling you back about jobs. You have the critical thinking skills of a golden retriever.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

The first paragraph is kind of sad, but I get it.  What is it you are looking for in the bolded?

Simply to improve our plight by any means necessary. I grew up in the inner city. My mom beat it into my head that I was going to make it out. She would not allow us to fail. She had to know your parents, and if you were about bullshit then we weren't allowed to hang with your kids. She had us in sports at an early age, and year round. We were so busy we had little time to hang around the hood with the riff raf. It worked.

Fast forward to now. We are out in this burb where the large majority of people are pretty successful. The other Black Families that are here did so to isolate their children from the inner city bullshit, just as we did, and thereby give their children a higher percentage of success. We understand that there is an inherent wall between us and the other cultures that live here, but we soldier on because it's a means to an end. We know our kids are going to get every opportunity to make it because there is no one to trip them up out here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Me and the wife shot over to Austin for a day trip Sat. As we drove around the city my wife said she didn't think she would want to move back to Austin. I think there was 1 million people on Town Lake. 1 million people in Zilker. 1 million people at Barton Springs. We tried to go to Hippie Holllow and they weren't taking anymore people because they were at capacity. Even the botanical gardens were sold out. The cool thing about Austin was all the one off, affordability, and it's small town feel. I will always love Austin in some ways, but I think the Austin I love is in the past. Middle aged me doesn't really fit in there.

• Like 1

Simply to improve our plight by any means necessary. I grew up in the inner city. My mom beat it into my head that I was going to make it out. She would not allow us to fail. She had to know your parents, and if you were about bullshit then we weren't allowed to hang with your kids. She had us in sports at an early age, and year round. We were so busy we had little time to hang around the hood with the riff raf. It worked.
  Fast forward to now. We are out in this burb where the large majority of people are pretty successful. The other Black Families that are here did so to isolate their children from the inner city bullshit, just as we did, and thereby give their children a higher percentage of success. We understand that there is an inherent wall between us and the other cultures that live here, but we soldier on because it's a means to an end. We know our kids are going to get every opportunity to make it because there is no one to trip them up out here.

So, you don’t plan to move to Aldine then?
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No where.

There's about a jillion people in Katy that have figured it out.  We get it, you don't love any place you can afford to live.  A butt load of other residents do.

There's about a jillion people in Katy that have figured it out.  We get it, you don't love any place you can afford to live.  A butt load of other residents do.

Wrong. That wasn’t what any of this was about. I am fine with the burbs. I don’t want to live down in the loop anymore, already have. I was merely pointing out the city of Houston proper is not affordable for the middle class. That’s it.

Now, yes, I have no love for Houston at this moment. It was where I was born and my family is here. If I were to move somewhere, I would more than likely live in the burbs. Zero issue with that. I could find better uses for the money (travel) than try to pay a mortgage on a $400-800k house.

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wrong. That wasn’t what any of this was about. I am fine with the burbs. I don’t want to live down in the loop anymore, already have. I was merely pointing out the city of Houston proper is not affordable for the middle class. That’s it.

Now, yes, I have no love for Houston at this moment. It was where I was born and my family is here. If I were to move somewhere, I would more than likely live in the burbs. Zero issue with that. I could find better uses for the money (travel) than try to pay a mortgage on a $400-800k house.

Plus your bbq spend ain’t cheap.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s not. But I have slowed down. And often times someone else is picking up the tab.

Just breaking balls.  I appreciate all your posts and photos you contribute around here.  

Keep your chin up.  You have a great degree and experience.  Something will come along. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just breaking balls.  I appreciate all your posts and photos you contribute around here.  

Keep your chin up.  You have a great degree and experience.  Something will come along. 

We have a lot we disagree about, but I appreciate you not kicking someone while they are down. Thanks.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

The good inside the loop neighborhoods have private armed security.  It is safe.  The Seal Security guy with a K9 friend -- he drives by my house 10 times a day.  Shit damn near every evening he parks in front of it for 20-30 minutes.

I am in Afton Oaks.  We used to have pretty routine burglaries.  Burglars would knock on the door.  If no one answered, they go around back and break in.  Ever since we switched from off duty HPD officers, who you would never see, to Seal, who is constantly on patrol, burglaries have pretty much completely stopped.  It is a pretty small neighborhood -- 500 or so homes -- so having 24 hour armed security that constantly patrols has helped out tremendously.

You are very safe in River Oaks, West U, Southside Place, Memorial, Tanglewood, Bellaire, Heights, and plenty of other smaller neighborhoods.

I think this answers the questions is Houston proper safe?   Yea sure if you live in on of the small rich neighborhoods that hires their own armed security….  Nice neighborhoods that don’t hire really good security still get random people breaking in often.  

Move to Humble. When I left 5th Ward for the wife and kid, it was the option that made the most sense to me(2016). I found a great diverse area with good schools and good people. Just make sure you are in the Atascosita attendance zone.

I can be on Lockwood in 15 minutes. It's not THAT Lockwood, but keep driving and it's close enough. Go to Summerwood Kroger around the 1st and you'll definitely feel the hood.

Like I said before HTown is my city. But I can't see living in Houston proper anymore. My next move would be to a town with 500 people. The family's next move will be Porter/Splendora.

Plus, plenty of snake hangouts.

Move to Humble. When I left 5th Ward for the wife and kid, it was the option that made the most sense to me(2016). I found a great diverse area with good schools and good people. Just make sure you are in the Atascosita attendance zone.

I can be on Lockwood in 15 minutes. It's not THAT Lockwood, but keep driving and it's close enough. Go to Summerwood Kroger around the 1st and you'll definitely feel the hood.

Like I said before HTown is my city. But I can't see living in Houston proper anymore. My next move would be to a town with 500 people. The family's next move will be Porter/Splendora.

Plus, plenty of snake hangouts.

We aren’t going anywhere. My wife loves her job and company. If things hadn’t gotten turned upside down by COVID, we likely would have gone to Cypress. Closer to family, better schools. However, we are in CFISD now, but I am not big on our hood (even though it hasn’t flooded). I also need a study (I’m the only male in the house and need a get away. Also have a lot of art that isn’t allowed to be hung in the house).

2 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Houston is in TIME magazine's World's 100 greatest places of 2021.  No other Texas cities are on the list.  

THE WORLD’S GREATEST PLACES OF 2021

How they chose the list

Indianapolis made the list of the world's 100 greatest places? I'd also like to talk shit about Sarasota making the list, but one of the few victories in life is never having set foot in Florida. Having said that, I'm not sure Indianapolis and Sarasota would make the list of the 100 greatest places in the United States. 

Houston does love to brag about its diversity, and statistically it's true, but fuck if it isn't all spread out over an area the size of Connecticut.

At the other end, I was looking at a Google map of Berlin the other day and it had most of Houston's famous dining diversity crammed into about 12 square blocks, all of them walkable, of course. If you really want to show off a bunch of cool stuff in Houston in one day, you are looking at 50-75 miles of interstate driving getting to those places, and then when you get to some of those places, like Chinatown, it's not really walkable either. I mean it is, technically, but it sucks.  

2 hours ago, royiv said:

This gets in to the definition of middle class. Are we talking about the actual middle? Or is it a lifestyle term? Because what is often thought of as a middle class lifestyle is really more for the upper third now.

49 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Houston does love to brag about its diversity, and statistically it's true, but fuck if it isn't all spread out over an area the size of Connecticut.

At the other end, I was looking at a Google map of Berlin the other day and it had most of Houston's famous dining diversity crammed into about 12 square blocks, all of them walkable, of course. If you really want to show off a bunch of cool stuff in Houston in one day, you are looking at 50-75 miles of interstate driving getting to those places, and then when you get to some of those places, like Chinatown, it's not really walkable either. I mean it is, technically, but it sucks.  

It is also as segregated as it is diverse.

54 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Sure.  But the sheer vastness of Houston, and of Texas in general, is part of its character, with respect to how outsiders view the city, and state.  Euros don't come to Texas to walk to 37 bars/pubs/ristorantes/brasseries all within an easy distance from their place of stay, exactly like they can see in their own home towns.  Many of them come here BECAUSE it's so big, and famously wild, and takes so much time and effort, to get from one point to another.  It's foreign to them, just as a tight city block of Berlin, is foreign to the average Texan.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yea well didn’t half Germany fall into a sinkhole and float away last week? Not so diverse now is it?

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So, you don’t plan to move to Aldine then?

Aldine/Inwood Forest in the house, holla! 🤘😁 

ETA to be clear...i grew up there. haven't been back to the area on probably 20 years. Antoine used to be the road of the rich kids...driving down it now would be shocking i'm sure. 😳

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

How long have you lived in that area? Did your kids (assuming you have kids) go to public school there? Just curious. A friend of mine (posts on here) grew up there I think through junior high.

sorry...i clarified, just grew up there.

came to Austin for school and never left.

put me in the 'hate it' category. but i admit a lot of my feelings are wrapped up in personal experience...i used to just feel icky going to visit. like i couldn't shower enough there. because reasons lol.

haven't been back since 2019.

Edited by mchookem