Reservation Dogs

Scary Stranger

Thought this was another great episode. Didn't think they'd turn the emotional route, but kinda saw the "suicide as a Native issue" episode coming after the last episode when they just hinted at what happened to Daniel. You figured it was a bit about him being both Native and a young Male in that place. Acting has been great from both of the lead girls in these episodes. 

Knew it was coming and was still devastated. I also recognized the parallel to Waititis Jojo Rabbit. Just gutwrenching. Bill Burr was great, really represents the struggles of rural Oklahoma and young people falling prey to meth and opioids. The way they mix humor and drama is masterful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

How long do we think Elora makes it before she turns back? Does she even get to the first gas stop? That other girl hopped in the car and said some dumb shit immediately and Elora's face already had regret. Great episode, the only one I even thought was average was the ride-along one, but I thought the rest were very solid, can't wait for season two. 

started watching b/c my friends said it was great. I like the show, don't love it. But that might have to do more with the fact that i've mostly watched while working from home so it's been on in the background and I paid earnest attention only sporadically. Just weren't a lot of scenes that jumped out and demanded attention. But I'll have to rewatch cause doesn't seem like that type of "action" show. 

As for the suicide stuff in native communities, I was completely unaware until recently but it wasn't jarring for me here only cause I've unwittingly been seeing a lot of shows on that in the last month. From the Grizzlies on netflix to Yellowstone on paramount, all three have had suicide as a huge issue in the community. It was the most brutal in Grizzlies, sadly very common in young people too.

• 4 months later...

This show kept popping up on suggestions while I was watching Letterkenny.

Ok, fine. I might as well check it out. Totally hooked. 

I've gone so far as to research Tall Man and Deer Lady. Found the 1491s. 

Sterlin was on with Bill Burr on his podcast a while back. I will have to check out his movies, but I know going in that it's his dark phase. He talked to Bill about doing these woke up his comedic parts.

Can't fucking wait for season two.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2021 at 6:57 PM, achooloco said:

started watching b/c my friends said it was great. I like the show, don't love it. But that might have to do more with the fact that i've mostly watched while working from home so it's been on in the background and I paid earnest attention only sporadically. Just weren't a lot of scenes that jumped out and demanded attention. But I'll have to rewatch cause doesn't seem like that type of "action" show. 

As for the suicide stuff in native communities, I was completely unaware until recently but it wasn't jarring for me here only cause I've unwittingly been seeing a lot of shows on that in the last month. From the Grizzlies on netflix to Yellowstone on paramount, all three have had suicide as a huge issue in the community. It was the most brutal in Grizzlies, sadly very common in young people too.

Go back and watch it with full attention. It's fucking outstanding. I'll watch anything Taiki Waititi is involved with these days.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...