Sell. Me. A TV.

I have the older XBR 65”. It’s a great tv but I don’t know if it is that much better than the TCL I have on the patio. $999.00 is a good deal and probably not much higher than the low tier brands.

I know tons of people like Samsung but I have had 3 of them just completely crap out in under a couple years luckily Best Buy let me use my warranty the last time to buy the Sony.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This place has good ratings for TVs. https://www.rtings.com/tv/  In addition to just pros and cons, it evaluates things that may or may not be important to you.

Probably also worth looking at avforums.com and the usual suspects like cnet.

Reading that site, that Hisense recommendation seems really good option 

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This place has good ratings for TVs. https://www.rtings.com/tv/  In addition to just pros and cons, it evaluates things that may or may not be important to you.

Probably also worth looking at avforums.com and the usual suspects like cnet.

Yup, rtings.com is the place to look. And I always recommend checking out OLED TVs before getting a new one. They may be out of the price range you are looking for, but in case you have room in your budget, I think you owe it to yourself to check them out. 

Yup, rtings.com is the place to look. And I always recommend checking out OLED TVs before getting a new one. They may be out of the price range you are looking for, but in case you have room in your budget, I think you owe it to yourself to check them out. 

They’re def nice. I have a Sony oled, looking back but if someone told me would I rather have 1000 bucks and a Samsung 65inch QLED or a Sony OLED and soft blacks… I’d probably opt for the cash and QLED

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’re def nice. I have a Sony oled, looking back but if someone told me would I rather have 1000 bucks and a Samsung 65inch QLED or a Sony OLED and soft blacks… I’d probably opt for the cash and QLED

Yeah I'm looking at full array local dimming QLED after researching. Seems like it's the best bang for the buck.

Both of those Sony models in the original post are IPS panels, which are going to have relatively poor contrast (poor black levels).  They might be OK for a room where you watch TV with the lights on, as that will sort of mask the issue. But in a dark room they are not going to be good. 

• 1 month later...
Looking at these two TV’s and I’ve heard great things about Sony TV. 
7C6FB888-57B8-4C5D-89E4-CA11A813A7F4.thumb.png.cf0866032d7dcba19d6d8335921a4185.png

We bought a Sony 2 years ago. Very highly rated. I can’t argue with that, the picture is great. I hate the Android OS. Continually pushes updates and is not very intuitive. A recent update has dicked up the “standby” mode, so pretty much every other time I turn it on it requires a full power on sequence. The other TVs in our house, LG and Samsung, are great in that regard .

On 9/3/2021 at 10:21 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

For an outdoor tv which of the following or other?

The hisense or tcl?

12777AA6-CC79-4698-967D-055AC127C5EF.jpeg

B2D67A83-4D8E-49B9-94BC-62693A1D56D9.jpeg

We recently had to do the cheap TV route and got more bang for the buck with Hisense.  The prices on a good TCL have jumped dramatically.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah after researching more for our living area we’re going to go with the Hisense 65” U8G

We got the 50" U6G.  The only issue I've noticed is that it has been difficult to dial in a good red tone in the settings.  Over time, I've gotten used to it and don't notice it much.

I inherited a Vizio. Good pic. Heard that it had an elusive sound problem. It's hooked up to my sound system in the living room. Every month or so, I'll be watching something and an extremely loud static will boom from my Boston Acoustic speakers. It's so loud and grating that you will jump out of your seat. If you google it, this is apparently a thing. It happens so rarely that there's no way anybody is going to be able to fix it without charging me an arm and a leg. 

No Vizios for me, ever.

• 1 month later...

Picked up a Sony A80J OLED on sale today to replace a low end LG that shit the bed. Pretty impressed so far. Great picture, pretty great sound for TV speakers, Google TV interface, minimalist design.

OTA Stillers game broadcast looks fantastic.

Also, first one had a cracked screen that I found when I got it home. Douche at Best Buy tried to tell me I was S.O.L., but they did end up making it right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 8:10 PM, Okie State said:

Picked up a Sony A80J OLED on sale today to replace a low end LG that shit the bed. Pretty impressed so far. Great picture, pretty great sound for TV speakers, Google TV interface, minimalist design.

OTA Stillers game broadcast looks fantastic.

Also, first one had a cracked screen that I found when I got it home. Douche at Best Buy tried to tell me I was S.O.L., but they did end up making it right.

I also snagged one recently, considerably happier with it than I expected to be, they just finally priced themselves in range of non terrible, non OLED options.  It's in a game/theater room, so I don't use it for sound...but sports, movies, streaming, video games are all outstanding.  I had a medium end direct-lit Sony before and really didn't know what I was missing.

I thought the LG (C1 I think) was just as good but (as stupid as it sounds), my side TVs in the sports setup are LGs, and I didn't want to solve the remote issue of them crossing up.  Tie went to not having to figure that out.

The Samsungs just don't stack up considering their price point, IMO.  If you're going to spend the money, go OLED with Sony or LG...if you're not you can downgrade to a mid-range direct lit and steer clear of the QLED no man's land.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I also snagged one recently, considerably happier with it than I expected to be, they just finally priced themselves in range of non terrible, non OLED options.  It's in a game/theater room, so I don't use it for sound...but sports, movies, streaming, video games are all outstanding.  I had a medium end direct-lit Sony before and really didn't know what I was missing.
I thought the LG (C1 I think) was just as good but (as stupid as it sounds), my side TVs in the sports setup are LGs, and I didn't want to solve the remote issue of them crossing up.  Tie went to not having to figure that out.
The Samsungs just don't stack up considering their price point, IMO.  If you're going to spend the money, go OLED with Sony or LG...if you're not you can downgrade to a mid-range direct lit and steer clear of the QLED no man's land.
It's an awesome TV. I debated between the C1 and the A80J. Went with the Sony mostly because of the speaker setup and slightly better overall reviews. Don't think you can go wrong with either though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Wife is pushing for a Frame TV. Anyone have one?

Wife wants me to get one too. Mostly for the beveled edge and replaceable frames, but I like the idea of it hanging only 1 inch off the wall. Will probably do that at some point down the road when I feel like adding a tv to my office. I just found the supply and pricing wasn’t there a few months back when I was researching.

I actually love my Samsungs I have all over the rest of the house (good value buys) but I’m also not a TV specs nerd. I’m sure the Sony’s have better pictures to the trained eyes but I have never noticed the difference at others homes, so I just wanted to be consistent with the tvs so I can interchangeably use the remotes/app.

Piggybacking on topic. 

I have run a projector in my basement as my main TV for ~ 15ish years. 105" approx. I'm getting sick of the projector game. Not bright enough, the picture sucks compared to my old 32" Panasonics that I have as my side TVs. They're loud, the bulbs burn out, they get dirty and are difficult to clean, etc etc. When this one craps out I am thinking about just hanging a big ass TV on that wall. I think I would be happier with it. 

What is it with the 85" size that seems to be a drop off point? Anything above that is like $7500+. Is this market going to be emerging anytime soon? does anyone know of a decent TV in the 90+ range that won't cost an arm and a leg? I don't need it to be exactly 105, but hoping for something closer than 85. I am not a videophile by any means. I watch primarily sports on YTTV, Amazon Prime, Sunday Ticket app, etc. I think there are some bandwidth limitations with the streaming providers so having the absolute best picture is not a huge priority. What would be a priority would be size, less pixilation during fast motion, longevity and price. Thank you in advance if anyone has any input. 

On 11/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, Hook1997 said:

Walmart has a online Black Friday sale starting tomorrow at 5.  55 inch 4K tcl for $228, I’ve never had a issue with tcl quality.  

Think that would go OK for an outdoor unit?   Planning on putting some plywood up as a backer, run 2x4's horizontally & then a swivel / pivot type mount onto the 2x's.

The backside of the plywood will get a vapor barrier & then some leftover metal panels over that.

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Think that would go OK for an outdoor unit?   Planning on putting some plywood up as a backer, run 2x4's horizontally & then a swivel / pivot type mount onto the 2x's.

The backside of the plywood will get a vapor barrier & then some leftover metal panels over that.

I think for it would be just fine and for that price buy the backup already too.  I know someone who had a tcl outside on a porch that was fine for three years until they moved.  

Edited by Hook1997

On 11/2/2021 at 1:13 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Personally I like having a TV on a wall mount that can be pulled out somewhat and swiveled. Reduces glare depending on where I'm sitting.  

I'm a fan of the low profile flush with the wall mount until I have to mess with the cables for whatever reason.  We have an older Panasonic plasma in our living room.  And it is on a very low profile mount.  Glare isn't an issue, but on the occasions I've had to jack with the cables, it has been a bit nightmarish. 

I got a 77" LG C1 from Buydig a month ago, and put it in my theater room, and it is truly the best screen out there for movies and sports. 4k video is crystal clear, no bleeding, no blur from fast moving objects, it's truly spectacular.  I love the "magic" remote, that operates like a Wiimote with point and click operation. It makes navigation of apps a lot more fun. The LG suite is pretty good, I haven't found any app I use that isn't part of their LG store, so I ditched the FireTV I used to use in my old theater room. All the usual apps are available, Youtube, D+, Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, etc, even Plex has an app on their OS.  

My wife also wanted a Samsung Frame, and the only reason I never considered it, was because the installation process is very difficult. Professionals have no problem installing it pretty quick, but if you haven't done it before, it's a pain in the ass.  I had a local AV installer coming to wire speakers in the theater room, outside patio, and pull some cables here and there, so I added the Frame installation to it. Those guys leveled it to the wifes expectations, making sure it was perfectly straight and aligned in the middle of the wall. Well worth the $200 they charged for that.

Went with the 75" Frame and it's pretty clean. I don't really like the OS on Samsung vs the LG, but it's not terrible. Samsung TV has a lot of free channels that come with it, which is nice. My 2 year old doesn't know how to work the clicker, but he figured out how to make it go into the Samsung TV app, which brings up the 24/7 Bob Ross channel, so now he likes to turn that on, and go get his coloring books to draw like "Bob Bob Ross" does. It's pretty cute, but that's about the only thing Frame has going for it over the LG C1. Every once in a while, the Samsung OS will act up and ignore the remote. A hard reboot will be necessary to fix it, but that has only happened twice in the last 2 months or so. I have to think it has something to do with my kid hitting buttons randomly trying to get Thomas the Train to come on. 

The guts of the Frame TV are in a big black box, about the size of a Super Nintendo. This is where your power, HDMI, external speakers and ethernet will connect. This box is kind of heavy, but easy enough to store in a console below the TV. With the Frame look, you'll want to hide the cables in the wall, so keep that in mind.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Thinking about getting the Sony 65” a80j

Is the extra cost worth it for oled? Sounds like it is
Casual watching in a bright room isn't necessarily worth it, but anything in 4K UHD is pretty awesome. Just depends if you care about things like that or not. I don't buy TV's often so I was willing to pay the premium. And of course the price dropped just outside of the return/price adjustment window. Ahh well, just money.

I also think the TV itself looks nice which is good because it's in the main room.
  • Like 1

In case anyone wanted to see an installed 75 inch Samsung Frame, box and side view. It's very slim, which is nice if you don't want your TV to be the main focus of the room. The screensaver with pictures you choose is a nice feature, but not something I really care about. My wife loves it and finds a new 4k image for it every month. 20211108_183212.jpg20211108_183226.jpg20211108_183300.jpg

• Like 2

This will be the main room. Is a bright room as well. I don’t but tv’s often either so when I do I try and get something quality.
Ours is also a bright room and it's not like it's bad in it. You just don't really see the badass OLED contrast as much until you watch a movie with the lights off.
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 5:26 PM, Updawg said:

Thinking about getting the Sony 65” a80j

Is the extra cost worth it for oled? Sounds like it is

In a bright room, the x90j gets you 90% of the way there for ~half the price.  Your mileage may vary, but I have the a80j in my theater room (well worth it)...I'm not sure it'd be worth it in any other rooms (in my house) where lighting is less controlled and I sit further from the screen.

Edited by VolenteHawk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Tell me about an ultra short throw laser projector. Anyone have one? Didn't stanco get something like this? @markstanco

Ive had it for a couple months now I think.  I can now leave all the lights on in my media room, no issue.  I got a commercial model (as in not smart TV) but I already have Apple TV.  The picture over bulb is far better.  Apparently there are 8K models available now, but no 8K media is available.

I'm looking for a 70"+ TV for the living room in the next house.  The room is very bright during the day with a lot of windows up high in the room.  This will be mounted above the fireplace.  I'd like to stay under $3000 if able.  Sell me a TV.

Not Samsung. I have the 75” model from Costco. It’s great after dark but you can’t see shit on it during the day.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Costco

I've got a 9 year-old Toshiba 1080p, and finally am upgrading and I feel almost bad for saying this, but I'm basically going to grab a 55-inch Hisense at Costco for under $400.  At some point in the next few years we will be moving and will have more room for something bigger, but I just want a 4K TV right now, and we do 99% streaming (I should sell my Blu-ray collection) and will be gaming almost exclusively Nintendo Switch, and it'll more than handle all of that.  And it's got a Roku built-in and 3 HDMI inputs.

I could spend more - I'm going to be selling my Atari Jaguar collection for what will probably be a really ridiculous price (especially since I picked it up at clearance at Kaybee and then games on eBay for $5-$10 apiece), but it's like buy a cheap 4K TV and spend the rest on video games.  It'll be loads better than what I have right now anyways.

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I've got a 9 year-old Toshiba 1080p, and finally am upgrading and I feel almost bad for saying this, but I'm basically going to grab a 55-inch Hisense at Costco for under $400.  At some point in the next few years we will be moving and will have more room for something bigger, but I just want a 4K TV right now, and we do 99% streaming (I should sell my Blu-ray collection) and will be gaming almost exclusively Nintendo Switch, and it'll more than handle all of that.  And it's got a Roku built-in and 3 HDMI inputs.

I could spend more - I'm going to be selling my Atari Jaguar collection for what will probably be a really ridiculous price (especially since I picked it up at clearance at Kaybee and then games on eBay for $5-$10 apiece), but it's like buy a cheap 4K TV and spend the rest on video games.  It'll be loads better than what I have right now anyways.

I've got a 50" Hisense in my bedroom, and it's been perfectly fine.  It was a little hard to dial in the reds, but I think I've just gotten used to it. 

Not Samsung. I have the 75” model from Costco. It’s great after dark but you can’t see shit on it during the day.
Costco models are generally different from the mainstream version of the same TV. Gotta be careful and check the serial number of the Costco model vs what's reviewed on the internet.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:39 PM, Dutchrudder said:

In case anyone wanted to see an installed 75 inch Samsung Frame, box and side view. It's very slim, which is nice if you don't want your TV to be the main focus of the room. The screensaver with pictures you choose is a nice feature, but not something I really care about. My wife loves it and finds a new 4k image for it every month. 20211108_183212.jpg20211108_183226.jpg20211108_183300.jpg

Was reading this thread wondering what a frame TV is. That's sick. 

Was reading this thread wondering what a frame TV is. That's sick. 
Had some friends over this weekend to see the new house for the first time and they all liked the Frame TV look. The girls didn't realize it was a TV, because it blends in so well with the frame and fancy artwork. So there's a few of them looking to buy it now.

I saw this pop up on Slickdeals today:
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/677308

All sizes on sale for good discounts, $1000 for a 55", $1500 for 65" and 2200 for 75". If you really want the look, and don't care about really high end gaming, it's probably worth it.