Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’m a novice when it comes to WBB but why tf are we ranked 25? Is losing Collier that much of a difference?

Lost 3/5 starters from last season but they probably undervalued how talented Texas is. 

Texas is more talented than last year it's just a matter of if the young players can adapt to this level of play. Doesn't seem like an issue so far. Texas was a very weird team to rank. They're obviously top 15 in talent but it's a very new and young team. 

Edited by texasstrong12

38 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure what it's called but it apparently helps with concussions. 

Makes sense.  Thanks.  I watch many concussion-prone sports and haven’t seen it before.  The girls are normally more accepting of new things, so not shocked this was the first time I’ve seen it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’m a novice when it comes to WBB but why tf are we ranked 25? Is losing Collier that much of a difference?

Not just Collier but our starting PG, best defender and scorer (Celeste) and 3 bench players. There’s only 6 players on roster who played last year for Texas and 1 was injured (Gaston).  Relying on freshman (Harmon and Moore) and a transfer (Matharu). There’s more newbies than returners (7) and unlike MBB, only 1 of those 7 was playing D1 ball last year. 

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

@ Stanford, @ A&M, @ Tennessee, and Arizona on a neutral court is a crazy nonconference schedule. 

Coming into the season 2-2 would have not been a bad result at all. 

This team will be crazy tested by Big 12 play. We look like league favorites. Baylor will take a step back. WV and ISU always tough. It’s a wide open league. 

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Funny how even super early, voters aren’t willing to let go of their preseason opinions enough to get Texas ahead of Stanford in this poll despite the head to head result. 

Stanford 7 - Texas 12
Texas beat Stanford h2h

Louisville 10 - Arizona 11
Arizona beat Louisville h2h

In both cases, the upset winner was so low in the week 1 poll compared to the favorite, the voters couldn't justify it I guess?

Stanford 3 - Texas 25 (Stanford down 4, Texas up 13)
Louisville 6 - Arizona 22 (Louisville down 4, Arizona up 11 

Vic completely out coached Tara at the end of this game. 

You can Vic screaming multiple times to set up the high pick and roll with Matharu late in the 4th. 

Stanford was going big with Jones (6’1) trying to guard Matharu (5’7). Matharu was simply too quick for Jones and Vic knew it. The last 5 minutes of the 4th we were running the same action with Matharu getting a mismatch with a bigger player. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Vic completely out coached Tara at the end of this game. 

You can Vic screaming multiple times to set up the high pick and roll with Matharu late in the 4th. 

Stanford was going big with Jones (6’1) trying to guard Matharu (5’7). Matharu was simply too quick for Jones and Vic knew it. The last 5 minutes of the 4th we were running the same action with Matharu getting a mismatch with a bigger player. 

Tree also had the height advantage inside and kept bombing away from 3. 

• Like 1

Kansas State’s Ayoka Lee was named Big 12 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week and Texas’ Rori Harmon earned Freshman of the Week honors for the first week of the regular season ending November 14, as selected by a five-person media panel.

Harmon was the Longhorns’ leading scorer as they knocked off No. 3 and defending NCAA Champion Stanford 61-56. She scored 21 points with five rebounds against the Cardinal, including going four-for-four on free throws in the final minute to ice the game. The point guard had a team-high eight assists, plus seven points and four rebounds in Texas’ season-opening 131-36 win over New Orleans. In her first week of college basketball, Harmon is averaging 14.0 points, 4.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists with a 9.0 assist-to-turnover ratio. It is the first weekly honor in Harmon’s career.

57 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks for posting all these.

I’m ok with the ranking. You can easily have a H2H and have the loser ranked higher. Body of work, perceived bad match-up for the higher seed and also the perception that if you play the game 7 times the loser may predominately come out on top. They were ranked way high, we were ranked way low, pollsters weren’t willing to drop them that much, I’m good with it.

If Matharu doesn’t go off we probably lose that game.

But she did. 😀

We need Stanford ranked high and doing well to help our SOS.

Davis and Ballou are both Austin sporsters.

We were only 25th due to Schaefer’s coach-god cred, we had lost too much production and have too many newcomers.

I certainly didn’t think we would be this good.

Big jump from 25th to 12th but it’s very early in the season and we beat the defending champs in their house. It was also on a Sunday afternoon on ESPN with Lobo giving us love.

Good times for UT BB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Tree also had the height advantage inside and kept bombing away from 3. 

Teams with legit bigs that pound it inside will probably give us the most issues early in the season. 

Simply because of how young we are in the front court. Need Ebo to give us minutes against these teams. 

The good news is Schaefer’s defensive scheme protects against this. The full court press gets teams playing fast instead of the half court. 

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I certainly didn’t think we would be this good.

I didn't think we would be this good so early but this roster is probably Schaefer's most talented and he's made a couple national championship games. 

It's also why I'm not worried a bit about Schaefer leaving for aggy. He's not leaving this roster. It's his best chance to win a title over the next 3 to 4 years. 

Nov 17 (Wed) 11 a.m.

#12 Texas vs Southeast Missouri State Redhawks

TV: Longhorn Network      Radio: SEMO ESPN 93.5 FM & 1220 AM

The Southeast Missouri State Redhawks women's basketball team, also formerly known as the Southeast Missouri State Otahkians, represents Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. The school's team currently competes in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Head Coach: 

Rekha Patterson

Patterson previously was the associate head coach at Ball State from 2013-15. She also has worked on the staffs at Baylor (2002-04, 2010-12), Creighton (2007-08), Ball State (2006-07) and Eastern Illinois (2004-06).

While at Baylor from 2009-13, Patterson was part of the first women’s basketball team to ever win 40 games as the Lady Bears posted an unbeaten mark on the way to the national championship. She spent the 2012-13 season as the associate coach and recruiting coordinator after working the previous three years as the coordinator of basketball operations.

During her coaching career, Patterson has worked with teams that have won a National Championship, reached two Final Fours, the Sweet 16 four times and has been a part of seven Big 12 championships.  She has coached a National Player of the Year (Brittney Griner), two National Freshmen of the Year, four College All-Americans, an Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year (Rachel Galligan) and numerous all-conference performers.

Previous Starters:

#14 WATKINS, Kennedi  F   5’10”

#13  WATSON, Deanay    G 5’10”

#10  PRUITT, Taelour  G  5’6”

#24  GREEN, Jaliyah   G 5”10”

#23  Shymaryia Christopher  G  5’6”

SEMO2.jpg

scores.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">criss cross applesauce <a href="https://twitter.com/roriiiharmonnn?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@roriiiharmonnn</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TexasFight?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TexasFight</a> <a href="https://t.co/gg4uGz1sJS">pic.twitter.com/gg4uGz1sJS</a></p>&mdash; Texas Women&#39;s Basketball (@TexasWBB) <a href="https://twitter.com/TexasWBB/status/1460722091804794892?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 16, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edited by TommysTinyTowels

I just realized we are also playing @ Princeton. That is far from a gimme win. 

Before the Covid year they went 26-1, didn't play last year, and are now 3-0 in blowouts. 

This nonconference schedule is wild. It takes some balls to schedule a team like Princeton on the road because that's asking for an upset. 

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I just realized we are also playing @ Princeton. That is far from a gimme win. 

Before the Covid year they went 26-1, didn't play last year, and are now 3-0 in blowouts. 

This nonconference schedule is wild. It takes some balls to schedule a team like Princeton on the road because that's asking for an upset. 

We have to get used to it. Outside of our annual Stanford/Tennessee games which rotate and our upcoming home and home with UConn and the SEC challenge (Big 12 challenge in a couple years i guess) that we host every other year….Vic has said they’re having trouble finding quality teams who want to go to Austin and play 40 min of hell.  So on the road we go

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Nov 17 (Wed) 11 a.m.

#12 Texas vs Southeast Missouri State Redhawks

TV: Longhorn Network      Radio: SEMO ESPN 93.5 FM & 1220 AM

The Southeast Missouri State Redhawks women's basketball team, also formerly known as the Southeast Missouri State Otahkians, represents Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. The school's team currently competes in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Head Coach: 

Rekha Patterson

Patterson previously was the associate head coach at Ball State from 2013-15. She also has worked on the staffs at Baylor (2002-04, 2010-12), Creighton (2007-08), Ball State (2006-07) and Eastern Illinois (2004-06).

While at Baylor from 2009-13, Patterson was part of the first women’s basketball team to ever win 40 games as the Lady Bears posted an unbeaten mark on the way to the national championship. She spent the 2012-13 season as the associate coach and recruiting coordinator after working the previous three years as the coordinator of basketball operations.

During her coaching career, Patterson has worked with teams that have won a National Championship, reached two Final Fours, the Sweet 16 four times and has been a part of seven Big 12 championships.  She has coached a National Player of the Year (Brittney Griner), two National Freshmen of the Year, four College All-Americans, an Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year (Rachel Galligan) and numerous all-conference performers.

Previous Starters:

#14 WATKINS, Kennedi  F   5’10”

#13  WATSON, Deanay    G 5’10”

#10  PRUITT, Taelour  G  5’6”

#24  GREEN, Jaliyah   G 5”10”

#23  Shymaryia Christopher  G  5’6”

SEMO2.jpg

scores.jpg

There’s a university of health sciences and pharmacy? That’s a new one to me

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I need Ebo to start tomorrow simply so I can see what happens. The top pic will have to guard the bottom pic (lulz). Ebo has to have at least 50 pounds on this girl. 

Reveal hidden contents

EmkdvhSXYAgQMZb.jpg:large

Reveal hidden contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnYNeU6oDs67Pa2sftoNa

Against such a diminutive lineup I'm hoping Gaston/Ebo/Moore/Lattimore get some confidence to help us in tougher games going forward.