Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Obviously early season and small sample size warnings apply, but we're #2 in Massey after the win over Stanford. Sorry if that was mentioned. Moved up 23 spots in his ratings set.

https://masseyratings.com/cbw/ncaa-d1/ratings

Lots of parity this season according to his ratings. Pretty unusual for women's basketball to see so many expected losses for the top 10 teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Obviously early season and small sample size warnings apply, but we're #2 in Massey after the win over Stanford. Sorry if that was mentioned. Moved up 23 spots in his ratings set.

https://masseyratings.com/cbw/ncaa-d1/ratings

Lots of parity this season according to his ratings. Pretty unusual for women's basketball to see so many expected losses for the top 10 teams.

Wow, I don't see us anywhere close to #2 but we'll take it. It's going to be an exciting season and we will definitely be in the conversation. Could not have hoped for a better start, I though we were done after losing Celeste.

8 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Wow, I don't see us anywhere close to #2 but we'll take it. It's going to be an exciting season and we will definitely be in the conversation. Could not have hoped for a better start, I though we were done after losing Celeste.

I didn’t. Celeste is a good player but I would take all 3 of the guards we added over her. 

Matharu, Harmon and Hunter are more talented. 

I think this will end up being addition by subtraction by the end of the year because these young guards wouldn’t be getting as many minutes if Celeste was still here. 

Edited by texasstrong12

You can certainly see the difference when Rori is on the floor.

Nice to see so much of our bench get a lot of burn, I thought Gaston started to show some signs of being back but Lattimore had some freshman struggles today. I didn't think the score was representative of what was possible with so much of our bench playing, but a valuable game for us in the long run.

On to Tennessee on Sunday at noon. Two games for us on back to back Sundays on ESPN, getting some respect.

Won't see as much of this bench in Knoxville.

semo3.jpg

Celeste plays good defense but is a streaky shooter and not great from 3. Her Duke career this far:

8-13 (0-2 three) for 17 points and 5 rebounds 

4-12 (1-3 three) for 11 points and 8 boards 

2-7 (0-3 from three) for 11 points and 7 boards 

7-9 (1-1 from three) for 16 points and 6 rebounds 

2 great games with 2 shooting clunkers in between 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Celeste plays good defense but is a streaky shooter and not great from 3. Her Duke career this far:

Yeah, she's very hit and miss. Luckily in the tournament we got the good Celeste. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn't watch but did Hunter play? 

Texas is going to eventually need Hunter because of the shooting but I get the idea that Schaefer is sending a message to her about defense. Schaefer has been very critical of her defense (as he is with most FR). 

Hunter and Kobe each had boots on their right foot. 

• Like 1

No offense to Chevalier, but Harmon has been a noticeable upgrade this year as our starting PG. They both play tight defense and can run plays for the offense, but Harmon is a scoring threat whereas Chevalier isn’t much of one, and that makes a difference. Harmon is the best PG I’ve seen here since Brooke McCarty.

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

No offense to Chevalier, but Harmon has been a noticeable upgrade this year as our starting PG. They both play tight defense and can run plays for the offense, but Harmon is a scoring threat whereas Chevalier isn’t much of one, and that makes a difference. Harmon is the best PG I’ve seen here since Brooke McCarty.

Ashley is a great defensive change up off the bench. Harmon is the starter 

52 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I just realized that Rae Burrell is out with an injury right now for Tennessee. So that makes the game on Sunday a bit easier. She's Tennessee's best player. 

We'll take all the help we can get, especially in an away game.

Surprised Hunter is injured, hopefully back soon.

Carr and Harmon = Gold

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

So Celeste is averaging about 13.75 points per game at a .500 percentage with about 6.5 rebounds per game.

I'll take the rebounds but your right, she's shooting a lesser percentage than our better players and from three she's not good. .222

JAT needs to spend a little time on that 3 percentage as well.

rebounds.jpg

19 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn’t. Celeste is a good player but I would take all 3 of the guards we added over her. 

Matharu, Harmon and Hunter are more talented. 

I think this will end up being addition by subtraction by the end of the year because these young guards wouldn’t be getting as many minutes if Celeste was still here. 

You are right, so far those three guards have shown serious promise especially Harmon, who appears to be a program changer. Lot's more to come from Hunter and Matharu.

I can never tell how recruits are going to work out, they look great on the recruiting boards but i have no clue if it will translate to the college level. I suck at evaluation but I guess that qualifies me to coach the football team for the past decade.... 😄

Sunday Nov 21 12:00 ESPN

#12 Texas at #16 Tennessee

The Lady Vols have won at least a share of the SEC regular season championship 17 times (with the most recent occurrence being in 2015), won 17 SEC tournament championships (with the most recent occurrence being in 2014), made 18 Final Four appearances (with the most recent occurrence being in 2008), and won 8 national championships (with the most recent being in 2008).

Head Coach:  Kellie Harper 2019 - present

Kellie Jolly Harper (born May 3, 1977)[1] is an American basketball coach who is currently the head women's basketball coach of the Tennessee Lady Vols. Prior to coaching at Tennessee, she served as head coach of Missouri State, NC State, and Western Carolina.

In college, she was one of the starting point guards for the Tennessee Lady Volunteers during their three consecutive NCAA women's national championships from 1996 to 1998. In 1997, Harper was named to the Final Four All Tournament team.[3]

Tennessee under Coach Harper:

2019–20               21–10   Postseason not held due to COVID-19

2020–21               17–8      NCAA Second Round

As texasstrong12 reported earlier Rae Burrell is hurt.

Tennessee Lady Vols star forward is reported to not have an ACL injury but is out indefinitely according to head coach Kellie Harper.

vols-roster.jpg

Vols_sched.jpg

Edited by TommysTinyTowels
  • Hook 'Em 2