Shit posters - banning?

I've made a few stupid shithead posts. I've made over 7000 posts on this site. Sometimes a post here and there goes astray. For the most part, I try to be a net positive to this site.

However, there are a few posters who pride themselves on being complete fucking dicks. Like they are such fucking miserable people that they can't help to show their fuckheadedness almost every time they post. I'm not talking about the drive by spammers. I'm talking about posters who have 1000s of posts with most of the posts being shitposts. I'm sure you can think of at least 2 idiots whom you constantly wonder why is he not banned yet? These assholes are infinity net negatives to this board.

Yes you can ignore but then other idiots quote the assholes and the threads are hijacked for a few pages bitching about the shit posters.

Is there a way we can have a democratic vote to ban people?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

Agreed, but for whatever reason, these assholes have plenty of rep. Plus most of the board has them on ignore. I aint un-ignoring these assholes just to mass neg every posts. That's a lot of work by a lot of people. 

Elections are a fairer, speedier way.

Just a suggestion.

I am not sure who all is on your list, but of course the main imbecile you're referencing is futureman. The issue with that insipid troll is that the Cloak Room or some other special event(s) boosted his ass to like 7000 rep points. He couldn't be crowdsourced with endless time and resources. Further, he'd also just come back as some new iteration. 

My bigger issue with guys like that are the people who engage with them, but, hey, it's a relatively chaotic board, so I'd take that over restrictive posting rules and regulations.

• Haha 1

I've always thought that a Surly Tribunal could be fun.  Could be three, maybe five members elected by the board that serve a one year term.  Once a quarter Imma or Blacklab or whomever could present a list of the top three shit posters in three separate threads (need to workshop this a little but could be based on most reported posts, neg rep received in the quarter, whatever) and then for a period of time (maybe 48 hours) the board could then vote for or against indictment of that individual on the crime of being a shit poster.  If indicted (simple majority or maybe 2/3 majority...again something to workshop) they receive counsel (god knows we have enough lawyers) and the kangaroo court opens.  No DA.... just Surly citizens airing their grievances before the tribunal in a thread dedicated to said shit poster for another 48 hours.  The counsel then presents a defense, the accused is allowed (if they wish and are sober enough to be awake) to make a post for themselves and the thread closes, the tribunal votes thumbs up/thumbs down and the accused either live..... or death by exile.

I've probably thought about that too much at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am not sure who all is on your list, but of course the main imbecile you're referencing is futureman. The issue with that insipid troll is that the Cloak Room or some other special event(s) boosted his ass to like 7000 rep points. He couldn't be crowdsourced with endless time and resources. Further, he'd also just come back as some new iteration. 

My bigger issue with guys like that are the people who engage with them, but, hey, it's a relatively chaotic board, so I'd take that over restrictive posting rules and regulations.

I have no cloak room rep, thank you. I think people just really like me a whole lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I've made a few stupid shithead posts. I've made over 7000 posts on this site. Sometimes a post here and there goes astray. For the most part, I try to be a net positive to this site.

However, there are a few posters who pride themselves on being complete fucking dicks. Like they are such fucking miserable people that they can't help to show their fuckheadedness almost every time they post. I'm not talking about the drive by spammers. I'm talking about posters who have 1000s of posts with most of the posts being shitposts. I'm sure you can think of at least 2 idiots whom you constantly wonder why is he not banned yet? These assholes are infinity net negatives to this board.

Yes you can ignore but then other idiots quote the assholes and the threads are hijacked for a few pages bitching about the shit posters.

Lulz. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I knew he was talking about us. He didn’t like my Fat People thread commentary.  He thinks we get our rep from CR. Lulz. Every time I wade in there I get my ass handed to me. 

I have offended a self-proclaimed “net positive” to this site and have been lumped in with you. We are toxic futureman. 

face it, we’re bad seeds. it’s a tough pill to swallow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dr Beeper and Futureman ain't even remotely approaching the worst posters on this site.

We don't always agree on shit, but i usually get their angle on things.

They are typically funny as fuck if you read their shit the right way.

57 minutes ago, slorch said:

Dr Beeper and Futureman ain't even remotely approaching the worst posters on this site.

D3FD0A4E-41DE-4496-B866-F398164FB7E2.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I don't think that there are many bad posters that don't get crowdsourced. We have seen someone with 3k+ rep get crowdsourced in less than 12 hours

If this place wants you gone, you are gone even with thousands of rep. 

When and whom?

16 hours ago, slorch said:

14 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

image.gif.e4f581c0767b8d5f2942bcbbc3dca339.gif

Outstanding. If the 3 of you dipshits were strapped to a rocket and launched towards the sun, (metaphorically speaking, ie disappeared from Surly never to return) the only people who would miss you would be each other. You guys should all get together and go bowling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outstanding. If the 3 of you dipshits were strapped to a rocket and launched towards the sun, (metaphorically speaking, ie disappeared from Surly never to return) the only people who would miss you would be each other. You guys should all get together and go bowling.

lulz

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Awwwwww.  As if I was  holding out for affirmation from your moronic ass…

50 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Being remembered on an anonymous message board is a life goal. I truly hope people remember my various anecdotes.

Maybe I should start nicknaming Longhorn players, like you did with Sam?  “I Am Sam” and “Mehlinger” were fabulous contributions - tell me more about how you do it. 

Part of your identity is absolutely attached to how you're perceived within this community. Frankly, that is true of every regular on this board and boards like it all over the world. It's a community and you identify as part of it. You're finding immense value in attempting to play some sort of heel or general curmudgeon, for whatever reason, and denying that to the rest of us is the same kind of silliness as denying that you are the poster formerly known as Rex Kramer. The notion that you feel the need to feign indifference while you spend hours weekly here is your delusion and you're welcome to it, but you can spare the rest of us.

As to the Ehlinger stuff, I don't remember claiming to have invented those nicknames, but I hope I did. It gives me a small, dark smirk to see you repeatedly trying to lambast me for it.

Ehlinger is this era's Major Applewhite for a segment of the fanbase. He's vastly overrated. He's given character traits from afar that have no evidence for support. No doubt he was a tough football player who I am proud played at Texas. I called him a loser after Maryland II and owned it when he turned his sophomore year around. Beyond that, the silly hagiographic way in which you and a horde of other dipshits reference the guy as though he was some sort of transcendent winner is comical. He was a mediocre qb for a mediocre coach and program. He fucking hustled and showed heart. He was all of that at the same time. He, however, wasn't Colt McCoy or Vince Young. Putting him on those levels, which I've seen you do, is indicative that you truly don't know the first fucking thing about the sport. 

In any event, congrats on the formation of The Triumvirate of Ineptitude with your two running buddies. Not since The Three Stooges have we seen such a formidable trio. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't think that there are many bad posters that don't get crowdsourced. We have seen someone with 3k+ rep get crowdsourced in less than 12 hours. 

If this place wants you gone, you are gone even with thousands of rep. 

Yeah, but the weighted negs under the old board's system was much better.  If you pissed off enough posters with high rep counts (a/k/a "Top Men"), their negs could pack a mean punch and better ensure a just banning, even for the higher rep deplorables.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Part of your identity is absolutely attached to how you're perceived within this community. Frankly, that is true of every regular on this board and boards like it all over the world. It's a community and you identify as part of it. You're finding immense value in attempting to play some sort of heel or general curmudgeon, for whatever reason, and denying that to the rest of us is the same kind of silliness as denying that you are the poster formerly known as Rex Kramer. The notion that you feel the need to feign indifference while you spend hours weekly here is your delusion and you're welcome to it, but you can spare the rest of us.

As to the Ehlinger stuff, I don't remember claiming to have invented those nicknames, but I hope I did. It gives me a small, dark smirk to see you repeatedly trying to lambast me for it.

Ehlinger is this era's Major Applewhite for a segment of the fanbase. He's vastly overrated. He's given character traits from afar that have no evidence for support. No doubt he was a tough football player who I am proud played at Texas. I called him a loser after Maryland II and owned it when he turned his sophomore year around. Beyond that, the silly hagiographic way in which you and a horde of other dipshits reference the guy as though he was some sort of transcendent winner is comical. He was a mediocre qb for a mediocre coach and program. He fucking hustled and showed heart. He was all of that at the same time. He, however, wasn't Colt McCoy or Vince Young. Putting him on those levels, which I've seen you do, is indicative that you truly don't know the first fucking thing about the sport. 

In any event, congrats on the formation of The Triumvirate of Ineptitude with your two running buddies. Not since The Three Stooges have we seen such a formidable trio. 

lotta words there. funny. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

lotta words there. funny. 

I feel like ctj wears out a thesaurus every 3-4 months. I've never met anyone in my life with an oral or written vocabulary like that. It's like he's from the 1760s. 

On 7/20/2021 at 11:15 AM, crash_davis said:

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, but the weighted negs under the old board's system was much better.  If you pissed off enough posters with high rep counts (a/k/a "Top Men"), their negs could pack a mean punch and better ensure a just banning, even for the higher rep deplorables.   

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh trust me. You’re a bad seed.  You’re a horrible seed.  You’re one of the worst seeds I've ever seen.

The kind of seed that turns a perfectly good sock into a crusty amalgamation resulting from a hundred wet dreams and the lingerie section of the Sears catalog, that your mother ultimately throws in the trash rather than tries to salvage in the washing machine.

'82 Sears Spring/Summer Catalog was a few years before I was at that age, but damn that is a strong lineup just from that page.

If my wife knew that I perused http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/ (keep scrolling down the page) not because of the G I Joe and Star Wars toy ads, but the other things...

Here's a little something for Armybrat

Spoiler

page0006.jpg

Edited by atomheartbevo

I like the two delicate, lovely feminine ladies sporting their best.  Looking as saucy as you can in 1982 chaffing lingerie.  

But look at the fucking man-hands yard ape handling the bra on the far left close-up. 

How we made it as a society, I'll never know.  

What's the story with this thread?  Other than banning me?