What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Background: Alex Becker is the CEO of Hyros, a SAAS company that does ad tracking, attribution, and data analysis. 

He has been living in Downtown Austin at The Independent (that super-tall Jenga-looking building on West 3rd) for several years.

He posted this to Facebook this morning:

3BA6CE12-DC2D-4873-AEF4-D82D7C239AC3.png

F09F9F7B-2E11-420E-9FAE-5509A09401DA.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Background: Alex Becker is the CEO of Hyros, a SAAS company that does ad tracking, attribution, and data analysis. 

He has been living in Downtown Austin at The Independent (that super-tall Jenga-looking building on West 3rd) for several years.

He posted this to Facebook this morning:

3BA6CE12-DC2D-4873-AEF4-D82D7C239AC3.png

F09F9F7B-2E11-420E-9FAE-5509A09401DA.png

Well he started off fairly well, but seems like he lost the edge and turned in his wings about a quarter of the way through. Have the police been defunded officially?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well he started off fairly well, but seems like he lost the edge and turned in his wings about a quarter of the way through. Have the police been defunded officially?

I haven’t been living here since the 1870s, like Brat has, only since 1984 but I can tell you that the Police have never done shit about the homeless whether they were funded or not. The only good thing the Police have done was at Raul’s, and man that was a sold out show.

• Like 2

So there were always homeless under every overpass and harassment of people enjoying lake? I don't remember that during my school years. There were individuals sleeping on the streets and there was always a group around the drag, but I don't ever remember anyone being harassed or ubiquitous trash and human waste.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

So there were always homeless under every overpass and harassment of people enjoying lake? I don't remember that during my school years. There were individuals sleeping on the streets and there was always a group around the drag, but I don't ever remember anyone being harassed or ubiquitous trash and human waste.

I was being fatuous, Jefferey, about the Police.  To answer your response though no, Austin has always had a homeless problem, but the past few years have made it far worse and more visible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I was a female no way I’d go anywhere near dirty sixth or Congress by myself or in a small group of girls.  I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for the spring game and went back to the room after to shower.  I was going to meet a friend after on west sixth and decided to lime scooter it over to look around. (I didn’t run anyone over or impede traffic)   The amount of homeless people yelling at themselves or others has really skyrocketed recently for sure and people laying everywhere, trash everywhere, people harassed for money left and right, ect.  I don’t see how they are getting the downtown convention crowd still.  Bourbon street during the day feels a lot more safe then dirty sixth.  I know there’s no easy or perfect fix but they have to do something about this shit.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If I was a female no way I’d go anywhere near dirty sixth or Congress by myself or in a small group of girls.  I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for the spring game and went back to the room after to shower.  I was going to meet a friend after on west sixth and decided to lime scooter it over to look around. (I didn’t run anyone over or impede traffic)   The amount of homeless people yelling at themselves or others has really skyrocketed recently for sure and people laying everywhere, trash everywhere, people harassed for money left and right, ect.  I don’t see how they are getting the downtown convention crowd still.  Bourbon street during the day feels a lot more safe then dirty sixth.  I know there’s no easy or perfect fix but they have to do something about this shit.  

There is a real recipe for trouble on west campus. Some of that was avoided when campus emptied for Covid last year. These aren’t the drag rats you remember, there are some really mentally unstable people cruising around screaming at imaginary demons in the heart of west campus. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

There is a real recipe for trouble on west campus. Some of that was avoided when campus emptied for Covid last year. These aren’t the drag rats you remember, there are some really mentally unstable people cruising around screaming at imaginary demons in the heart of west campus. 

There are some pretty mentally unstable people cruising around everywhere these days. Capitol complex, city hall, Plano, hell its everywhere man.  

Exhibit A. https://texags.com/

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

No there isn’t. I’m on the town lake trails from Mopac to longhorn damn several times per week. There are no  homeless under any of the fucking overpasses. None. 

CEO guy is being a fucking Facebook drama queen 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

No there isn’t. I’m on the town lake trails from Mopac to longhorn damn several times per week. There are no  homeless under any of the fucking overpasses. None. 

CEO guy is being a fucking Facebook drama queen 

Not to mention posting a picture of the lake from….some day in the past, when flooding rains washed vegetation debris into it, for added effect? I’m no fan of how Austin is dealing with the homeless issue, but that’s some drama queen bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Not to mention posting a picture of the lake from….some day in the past, when flooding rains washed vegetation debris into it, for added effect? I’m no fan of how Austin is dealing with the homeless issue, but that’s some drama queen bullshit.

Reference my post above.  The common element?  Stupid voters.  Emotional children who post on Facebook and Nextdoor.  People who can’t distinguish their ass from a hole in the ground.   America the beautiful.  

Just sucks that people read CEO guy-like posts and think they ought to avoid DT and the town lake trails. I'd argue that the trails are in the best shape with more amenities than ever in my 28 years in Austin. Does DT have some homeless and are some of those homeless mentally challenged/maybe dangerous? Yes. 

If you want to avoid those people, I suggest you take out your ear buds and employ some common sense situational awareness. I can't think of a single large tourist destination city where you can't have a great time if you just stay aware of your surroundings. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Does DT have some homeless and are some of those homeless mentally challenged/maybe dangerous? Yes. 

If you want to avoid those people, I suggest you take out your ear buds and employ some common sense situational awareness. I can't think of a single large tourist destination city where you can't have a great time if you just stay aware of your surroundings. 

While I agree you can still have a good time on sixth street once you get into a bar or restaurant but down there during the day it’s not just some homeless..   I’d say it’s a minimum of 30% of the total amount of people walking around and it’s a bit more then situational awareness as on every block you have to deal with multiple people to avoid.  

Not just Austin. Hit the Riverwalk with the family for first time in years a few weeks ago. Lots of homeless, a nice pile of human shit (I know y’all see it all the time, a first for me), and a guy that followed and stopped with us several times, until we waited and joined a big group we didn’t know he finally split off.   What a beating.  Don’t know how y’all do it. 

With respect to the town lake trails, this is what I observe weekly. There are possibly more tents way back in woodsy bits, but this is what is visible from the trails and 1st around city hall. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 11.36.42 AM.png

Edited by NAVY
  • Hook 'Em 4

Here’s a helpful hint.  If you don’t want to see homeless people, maybe move to some other shithole like Montana, mobile Al or the like.   Homeless people gravitate toward good economies.  The bay area economy is larger than at least six former confederate states.  It’s not that hard.  Stop being stupid.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Have the police been defunded officially?

They never were. A function of APD was moved out of the department. I don’t remember which one. The money is still spent on it but it’s not in the PD budget. That developed into the talking point the police were defunded. That’s mostly Adler’s fault. He was so ready to be seen as progressive he called something that was already happening as defunding the police just so he could be in the news.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

They never were. A function of APD was moved out of the department. I don’t remember which one. The money is still spent on it but it’s not in the PD budget. That developed into the talking point the police were defunded. That’s mostly Adler’s fault. He was so ready to be seen as progressive he called something that was already happening as defunding the police just so he could be in the news.

This was my understanding. Thanks. 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/austin-police-budget-cuts-austin-city-council-defund/269-9041efe4-5055-4eb0-aa21-dada5b8f4aec

AUSTIN, Texas — The Austin City Council has chopped $150 million from the Austin Police Department's budget, roughly 34% of the department's $434 million total budget. 

Going into Thursday's budget discussions, the council was considering slashing the department's $434 million budget by about a third, or $150 million. Nearly a fifth of that extra money, or $21 million, will go toward things such as violence prevention and permanent housing services. 

The budget cuts will cancel all three upcoming cadet classes, reduce officer overtime pay and remove vacant officer positions, according to the proposal Councilmember Greg Casar shared.

Almost $80 million of the cuts will separate certain functions from APD, such as the 911 Call Center and Special Investigations Unit. The remaining $49 million in cuts will defund APD units including mounted patrol, traffic enforcement and lake patrol. That money would be put on hold as council members "reimagine" public safety over the course of a year.

These are some of the police department units that were cut or reduced during the budget approval:

• 911 Call Center - $17.7 million
  • Forensic Sciences - $12.7 million
  • Support Services - $14.1 million 
  • Community Partnerships - $2.5 million 
  • Victims Services - $3.1 million 
  • Internal Affairs - $4.5 million 
  • Special Investigations - $1.8 million 
  • Special Events - $4.4 million 
  • Mounted Patrol - $2.1 million 
  • Traffic Enforcement - $18.4 million 
  • Austin Regional Intelligence Center - $2 million 
  • Park Police - $5.8 million 
  • Lake Patrol - $1.4 million 
  • Organized Crime/K-9 - $1.2 million 
  • Nuisance Abatement - $312,000
  • Canceling 3 Cadet Classes - $2.2 million this year
  • Officer Overtime - $2.8 million 
  • License Plate Readers - $133,000

Austin police officials say officers are leaving more quickly than vacancies can be filled. The average response time to the most serious calls is nine minutes, up from seven and a half.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Has the city cleared the bum camps from downtown then, and plucked the bodies out of the trees & off the streets?

seriously though, it is still bad at S. 1st & Ben White and 183 north all the way to SH 45.as of last weekend.

When they defunded the police back in 2017, that stuff was wild.  Helpful hint, it has nothing to do with defunding anything except social services.  Anyone saying anything otherwise is a liar, thief or charlatan.  

On 7/20/2021 at 2:37 PM, crash_davis said:

Some crazy ass motherfuckers out there.

No shit, man. I have been threatened at Traces of Texas on multiple occasions.  Somebody says something racist/horribly misogynistic etc... I ban him from posting in my feed, he sends me a threatening DM.   I figure it's mostly idle threats but I turn them in to FB anyway. I told my gf if I'm ever murdered check through my DMs for suspects. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bevo said:

There are roughly 3 x as many people living in Austin as there were when I was a student. All things being equal, I would imagine that equates to 3 x as many homeless people. Of course, all things aren't equal: property values increasing = property taxes increasing = rents are through the roof.  My gf's son works at a Starbucks with a guy who is working 32-35 hours per week and is temporarily homeless while he looks for another place to stay after the rent on the efficiency that he and his gf were sharing almost doubled. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

When they defunded the police back in 2017, that stuff was wild.  Helpful hint, it has nothing to do with defunding anything except social services.  Anyone saying anything otherwise is a liar, thief or charlatan.  

So, the homeless problem is a figment of everyone’s imagination and all those tents & garbage blowing around are just my lying eyes?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Oh the homeless, they’re such a blight.  Think I’ll vote republican again, that’ll show those dirty libs.  Look you stupid fuck, until you get your shit together, enjoy your tent city.   

Nice response, but my last vote in Austin was cast in the early 1990s.