What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But we can all take comfort that it appears Austin’s crime rates will be dropping considerably in the near future.

AFB3F57F-F957-49B9-B7EE-B9BD6F38245B.jpeg

Those prostitutes must have a strong union to give them the ability to work without police interruption.

• Haha 2

Fucking San Marcos.  Glad they caught the little shit though.  Dumbass scouted the place on the 28th and his plates were seen on camera, which is how they caught him.  If he didn't scout the place out, he probably gets away.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-accused-of-setting-fire-to-austin-synagogue-on-halloween-arrested/

Arson investigators with the Austin Fire Department arrested a man Wednesday who is accused of intentionally setting fire to an Austin synagogue on Halloween night. 

Franklin Barrett Sechriest, 18, is suspected of using an accelerant near the sanctuary doors of Congregation Beth Israel to ignite the flames, causing an estimated $25,000 in damage, according to AFD.

An arrest affidavit for Sechriest said surveillance video showed a dark-colored Jeep enter the north parking lot around 9 p.m. the night of the fire. The driver, described as a “tall thin white male with dark hair” got out of the car carrying what seemed to be a heavy green jug.

The affidavit said the man walks out of camera view toward the area where the fire started. A couple minutes after 9 p.m., the video shows the fire being ignited from four different camera angles. 

That’s when the suspect returns within view of the cameras, running back to the Jeep and driving away, the affidavit said. 

CBI gave investigators past surveillance footage from Oct. 28, showing what appears to be the same Jeep visiting the synagogue parking lot and leaving, according to the affidavit. They were able to capture the Jeep’s license plate number from the footage and track down the SUV’s owner in San Marcos. 

While the Jeep wasn’t registered to Sechriest, he lived with the person who it was registered to, and investigators found that Sechriest fit the description of the suspect seen in surveillance videos.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fucking San Marcos.  Glad they caught the little shit though.  Dumbass scouted the place on the 28th and his plates were seen on camera, which is how they caught him.  If he didn't scout the place out, he probably gets away.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-accused-of-setting-fire-to-austin-synagogue-on-halloween-arrested/

giphy.gif

I'm glad they caught the idiot.  I hope he spends the maximum amount of time behind bars for this.  Is there a Jewish prison gang that might take particular offense to this? 

On 11/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, Brisketexan said:

So, the arsonist at the synagogue doesn’t look like the “crazy homeless guy” that several people here were postulating/hoping.

I was one of those people. 

But it's bad - dude was even in the Texas National Guard, he hated non-whites and Jews, and his hobbies included journaling.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-synagogue-arson-suspect-facing-federal-charges/269-abeecaf1-2e13-40c9-9ecd-51f05acfe906

f14936f1-a520-430f-997e-97ba19ea9e8d_192

aa4338cf-3bec-47ec-aeb0-d726487a435b_192

On 11/5/2021 at 2:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It's more for the Surly Dad thread, but we really need to teach our kids to separate fact from fiction and to be wary of social media, because I don't see this stuff getting any better - Social Dilemma on Netflix was just the tip of the iceberg.  Although, in a bit of irony, a lot of my younger cousins are cynical as shit about stuff on social media while the olds lap it up.

It's definitely mostly the olds that fall for this shit.  The cultural and technological shifts they've experienced have left many of the lost at sea.  And I think it will happen more and more as these advancements continue to increase in speed.  We're next on the chopping block.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

But it's bad - dude was even in the Texas National Guard, he hated non-whites and Jews, and his hobbies included journaling.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-synagogue-arson-suspect-facing-federal-charges/269-abeecaf1-2e13-40c9-9ecd-51f05acfe906

Lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes...

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

f14936f1-a520-430f-997e-97ba19ea9e8d_192

aa4338cf-3bec-47ec-aeb0-d726487a435b_192

Lol. I thought those were a joke at first.  Handwriting of a 4yo. Texas State smfh. 

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol. I thought those were a joke at first.  Handwriting of a 4yo. Texas State smfh. 

Don't forget - member of the Texas National Guard.  He's a hero, and we should just move along and thank him for his service.

Or, I mean, we could maybe kinda sort do something about the issue of having actual white supremacist nazi shitheels in our military.

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I can excuse the handwriting of a 4 year old as long as it has correct spelling and punctuation. Spelling errors and incorrect punctuation go a long way in destroying the credibility of someone with great penmanship.

• 4 months later...

From Saturday. Austin may not be the same Austin from people's memories, but this is one of the BEST things to do in Austin. I like it when it's crowded like this. It is nice to see other people enjoying the beautiful natural resources of this great city. Yes, the brotilla was there at the mouth of Barton Creek. It'll be there every weekend from now until late September. Other than the few shitheads who trash the lake/river, I think it's awesome that this brotilla became a thing due to Covid.

PSA, last weekend the Game Wardens were out reminding people that yes they do need a life jacket on a paddle board. I thought they were gonna be dicks but they only stopped people to educate them of the rules. Don't need to wear it, just need it on the board. Same rules apply to kayaks and canoes. They also left alone the people smoking pot in the brotilla which I thought was pleasantly surprising. 

5dyk91jfvup81.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

From Saturday. Austin may not be the same Austin from people's memories, but this is one of the BEST things to do in Austin. I like it when it's crowded like this. It is nice to see other people enjoying the beautiful natural resources of this great city. Yes, the brotilla was there at the mouth of Barton Creek. It'll be there every weekend from now until late September. Other than the few shitheads who trash the lake/river, I think it's awesome that this brotilla became a thing due to Covid.

PSA, last weekend the Game Wardens were out reminding people that yes they do need a life jacket on a paddle board. I thought they were gonna be dicks but they only stopped people to educate them of the rules. Don't need to wear it, just need it on the board. Same rules apply to kayaks and canoes. They also left alone the people smoking pot in the brotilla which I thought was pleasantly surprising. 

5dyk91jfvup81.jpg

hQULAZ.gif

9 hours ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, we drove over Town Lake on Mopac around 6 PM on Saturday and there were gobs of people.  I do think its cool... love to see people out there enjoying it.  

Yeah, but good luck catching your flight out of ABIA on time.

Can’t find the What the fuck is wrong with Houston thread

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/04/05/2-injured-in-possible-gang-related-shooting-in-bear-creek-area-authorities-say/

According to HCSO investigator K.W. Cote, a juvenile showed up to a residence in the 15900 block of Seven Springs Drive near Eagle Trail Drive around 3:30 p.m. He allegedly wanted to fight someone.

The resident and another friend stepped outside, and both were armed with guns. That is when a carload of more juveniles arrived and they, too, had guns, Cote said.

One of the juveniles allegedly fired a shot at the ground.

“Once that happened, about five juveniles started shooting at each other. They had AKs, they all had rifles. Thirty-five to 40 rounds were shot off,” Cote said.

luckily only 2 injured 

Back to my question - who is footing the bill for the original estimate?

Funding comes from city of Austin property taxes, cap metro (which comes from local sales tax), and anticipated federal money. The train folks are silent as to how they are going to now make up the difference.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The shiny train authority is claiming no new taxes to cover doubling of cost estimates. If you believe that, you probably voted for this bullshit.

Buffoonery of Austin voters knows no boundaries.

No biggie, though. City will just hire a consultant at $500K to check the excel schedule for the original budget. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, demos said:

It’s more that you can’t really trust this city on transportation infrastructure issues, particularly to be honest about costs or anything else associated with transportation.

or water, or power, or the homeless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2022 at 8:20 AM, Deej said:

Maybe it needs to be voted on again, with the new price tag. Of course, the idiots in this town would pass it again.

When it was first voted for, there was something like 500M(?) that was included in the initial budget estimate, but the 500M hadn’t been sourced yet. They budgeted this 500M as “dependent on federal grants” or some BS like that. Now they want to double the entire budget when they couldn’t even come up with all of the original money in the first place? Not surprised. 

10 minutes ago, MrBig said:

When it was first voted for, there was something like 500M(?) that was included in the initial budget estimate, but the 500M hadn’t been sourced yet. They budgeted this 500M as “dependent on federal grants” or some BS like that. Now they want to double the entire budget when they couldn’t even come up with all of the original money in the first place? Not surprised. 

So, I haven't dug too much into this but isn't the new estimate based on extending the tunnel and some other items not originally envisioned?

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Should re vote today. Fuck public transportation and the terrorist who fuck with it. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So, I haven't dug too much into this but isn't the new estimate based on extending the tunnel and some other items not originally envisioned?

Yes, with the new tunnel twice as long as originally planned for, the $7.1B estimate for Project Connect has now grown to $10B. But when Project Connect was originally approved by voters, it was based on this $7.1B budget estimate. It was to be funded by property tax increases and a large amount of federal grants to be expected to cover 45% of this cost. The federal grants had not yet been acquired, just expected to be allocated somewhere to the project down the line.

The COA tax rate for homeowners jumped by 20%. Wording is key here because entire bills didn’t go up 20%, just the COA tax rate which jumped 8.75 cents from 44.6 cents to 53.35 cents per $100 (~20% hike in that portion of the property tax bill). 

Opponents of Project Connect highlighted the fact that nearly half of the budget was dependent on federal grants that had not yet been guaranteed to be approved by federal government. The 20% increase in the COA property tax rate was a huge issue as well. 

Advocates of Project Connect criticized the 20% figure as misleading Austin citizens about the size of their tax bill increase. The approval of Project Connect would only increase property taxes by just a few hundred dollars, not 20% of the entire bill. But the reality is that the property tax RATE for COA did, in fact, increase by nearly 20%, but it only makes up a portion of the property tax bill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Yes, with the new tunnel twice as long as originally planned for, the $7.1B estimate for Project Connect has now grown to $10B. But when Project Connect was originally approved by voters, it was based on this $7.1B budget estimate. It was to be funded by property tax increases and a large amount of federal grants to be expected to cover 45% of this cost. The federal grants had not yet been acquired, just expected to be allocated somewhere to the project down the line.

The COA tax rate for homeowners jumped by 20%. Wording is key here because entire bills didn’t go up 20%, just the COA tax rate which jumped 8.75 cents from 44.6 cents to 53.35 cents per $100 (~20% hike in that portion of the property tax bill). 

Opponents of Project Connect highlighted the fact that nearly half of the budget was dependent on federal grants that had not yet been guaranteed to be approved by federal government. The 20% increase in the COA property tax rate was a huge issue as well. 

Advocates of Project Connect criticized the 20% figure as misleading Austin citizens about the size of their tax bill increase. The approval of Project Connect would only increase property taxes by just a few hundred dollars, not 20% of the entire bill. But the reality is that the property tax RATE for COA did, in fact, increase by nearly 20%, but it only makes up a portion of the property tax bill.

In my opinion this is just example eleventy billion why most adults simply don’t trust numbers with government projects. There is always scope creep and/or moving financial mechanisms that always make the assumptions and model being voted on one that is “happy path” and unrealistically conservative as the real project implemented will be over budget and way over deadline.