What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

In my opinion this is just example eleventy billion why most adults simply don’t trust numbers with government projects. There is always scope creep and/or moving financial mechanisms that always make the assumptions and model being voted on one that is “happy path” and unrealistically conservative as the real project implemented will be over budget and way over deadline. 

To be fair that is true in every industry private as well

But this is above and beyond

Gypsies. I'm surprised Austin took so long to get them. They run game in every hood that idiots will keep giving them money. TT, the domain, NW Hills, etc...Typically a "family" with a baby and some elementary school aged kids. Then at the end of their shift, they hop in their suv and drive off.

Similar to the westlake junky dragworms from the 90s who would all hop in their nice grand cherokee at the end of the day. I dont think the "family" gypsies are junkies tho. Saw a crew at heb who had the full on carny look, bearded lady, gimp, etc...yelling at each other in romanian. Or is it romani? Those are totally different I think, don't recall.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Gypsies. I'm surprised Austin took so long to get them. They run game in every hood that idiots will keep giving them money. TT, the domain, NW Hills, etc...Typically a "family" with a baby and some elementary school aged kids. Then at the end of their shift, they hop in their suv and drive off.

Similar to the westlake junky dragworms from the 90s who would all hop in their nice grand cherokee at the end of the day. I dont think the "family" gypsies are junkies tho. Saw a crew at heb who had the full on carny look, bearded lady, gimp, etc...yelling at each other in romanian. Or is it romani? Those are totally different I think, don't recall.

They moved to the other side of street for shade and two more children (3 total) have been added. 

Don’t look Gyp to me but all of my knowledge of that culture comes from Borat  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They moved to the other side of street for shade and two more children (3 total) have been added. 

Don’t look Gyp to me but all of my knowledge of that culture comes from Borat  

Shifts. Yep, that's probably them and I didn't know there was a common look for them but who knows.  But trust Borat on the subject for the most part... 

The Gypsie family (?) has firmly established its presence at 1-2 of the key NW Hills intersections from sundown to sunup multiple times a week now.  I haven't seen them speed away in their vehicle but I'm sure it's nearby.  This must be a giving neighborhood because every time I pass them someone is handing out money 🙄

[Stupid question immunity: Is Gypsie derogatory?]

7 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

The Gypsie family (?) has firmly established its presence at 1-2 of the key NW Hills intersections from sundown to sunup multiple times a week now.  I haven't seen them speed away in their vehicle but I'm sure it's nearby.  This must be a giving neighborhood because every time I pass them someone is handing out money 🙄

[Stupid question immunity: Is Gypsie derogatory?]

I think Gypsie is fine. Maybe Romani is better. But to use the slur gyp as a verb meaning to cheat or be dishonest is a no-go.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, Neonmoon said:

Why are trains bad?

Trains are not bad.  I just took a trip to Seattle and road the Link light rail from the airport to downtown and back.  Never got in a car.  It was great.  $3 from the airport to downtown, $3 to get back to the airport.  Now, that is ignoring the billions that Seattle residents spent to build and operate the thing, but it was a nice ride for $6.  A warning to Austin light rail advocates -- about 80% of the business I saw on the train was either airport to downtown folks or UW students riding for free.  Not a lot of locals onboard.

Trains are expensive, compared to buses.  I looked at Cap Metro's budget a few years ago and it was costing Austin taxpayers about $30 to put a butt on the Red Line train, versus $6 to do the same thing on a bus.  So if someone takes the train to work or to an Austin FC game, you the taxpayer are paying $60 round trip to get them there and back.  If they do the same thing on a bus, you are paying $12.  Is it worth $48 more round trip to put someone on a train vs a bus?

Look around at cost and time overruns for other light rail systems.  Seattle and Honolulu are decades ahead of us on these projects.  Expect costs to double or triple, expect the route to be reduced in scope, and expect the project to be 10 years late and you will get it about right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I think Gypsie is fine. Maybe Romani is better. But to use the slur gyp as a verb meaning to cheat or be dishonest is a no-go.

Gypsy is broader than Romani since it could also be used to refer to Irish Travelers, who live and behave similar to Romani. There are people on Twitter that will get offended by using “gypsy” or “gyp.” But frankly I don’t give a shit because that is universally what they do. Defraud people. I’m sure there is a gypsy out there that is honest and isn’t engaged in some sort of fraud, but I haven’t met him.

Gypsy is broader than Romani since it could also be used to refer to Irish Travelers, who live and behave similar to Romani. There are people on Twitter that will get offended by using “gypsy” or “gyp.” But frankly I don’t give a shit because that is universally what they do. Defraud people. I’m sure there is a gypsy out there that is honest and isn’t engaged in some sort of fraud, but I haven’t met him.

Huh. Pretty sure that Gypsy refers to Romani, and Travelers refers to Irish Travelers. But I don’t know for sure, we didn’t cover that in detail in my UT education. I think I got gyped.

What about the ‘my kid is dying of cancer’ sign guy…see him regularly up here at the 45/Parmer intersection…has been ‘dying’ so long he must be halfway through law school by now.  

That shit sucks because there are legit folks out there who need anything they can get, but I get time the grifters make me cynical as hell.  Also tough to explain to my kids the difference.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

when i was a kid growing up in germany the teachers would threaten us that if we were bad the gypsy’s would “take us away”.   one time my friend ran away and the local gypsy family actually found him wandering the streets and returned him to his parents.  from then on all the other german kids would make fun of him for being so bad that even the gypsy’s didn’t want him  

interesting people. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

A warning to Austin light rail advocates -- about 80% of the business I saw on the train was either airport to downtown folks or UW students riding for free.  Not a lot of locals onboard.

Light rail between downtown and the airport would have been an easy intro to the concept and -- bonus! -- visitors pay for it. But no, we have to protect taxis from Uber and do the most ambitious plan possible just as soon as they had enough renters and self-described urbanists to vote for it.

Oh, and according to a riveting Nextdoor explanation, the Gypsi family speaks French. 

3 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Light rail between downtown and the airport would have been an easy intro to the concept and -- bonus! -- visitors pay for it.

Yep, said it for years Airport to Downtown connecting with the Red Line would get visitors to downtown and many in the NW area easy access to the airport.  Would have been a great first step.

Also train going around UT (like the old west campus bus route) and getting it connected to downtown would have been a great investment, then you’d have more reasons to connect to Riverside or Far West and start building this out in a more organic method.

Cap Metro had an Airport Flyer route to downtown and campus bus route that was pretty nice.  From the airport I think it had 3-4 stops to campus.  I think there was one somewhere on Riverside, one downtown-ish near the Red Line, a stop in front of the UT Alumni Center and one more near the UT engineering complex.  It ran every 30 minutes and the fare was $1 ... UT students rode for free.  They shut it down because not enough people were riding it.

They NOW have route 20, which is more of a local route with a lot of stops along Riverside and through downtown.  Costs $1.25 to ride .. lots of folks ride for free including UT, ACC, Austin ISD populations.  It follows pretty closely what will be the blue and part of the orange light rail lines.  It takes 35 mins from ABIA to downtown/campus and it runs every 15 minutes.  The route continues past campus, goes through east Austin and ends up at LBJ high school.  They get about 2,000 boardings per day along the route sprinkled among 66 busses, or about 30 people boarding each bus.

So the airport/downtown/campus service exists today, it's just a bus.  No capital investment needed.  Maybe 1,000-1,500 folks are using it each day.  What is the ridership of the Blue Line going to be?  Is it worth it versus the bus line they have today? It's hard to find any projection on the Project Connect website.

4 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Cap Metro had an Airport Flyer route to downtown and campus bus route that was pretty nice.  From the airport I think it had 3-4 stops to campus.  I think there was one somewhere on Riverside, one downtown-ish near the Red Line, a stop in front of the UT Alumni Center and one more near the UT engineering complex.  It ran every 30 minutes and the fare was $1 ... UT students rode for free.  They shut it down because not enough people were riding it.

They NOW have route 20, which is more of a local route with a lot of stops along Riverside and through downtown.  Costs $1.25 to ride .. lots of folks ride for free including UT, ACC, Austin ISD populations.  It follows pretty closely what will be the blue and part of the orange light rail lines.  It takes 35 mins from ABIA to downtown/campus and it runs every 15 minutes.  The route continues past campus, goes through east Austin and ends up at LBJ high school.  They get about 2,000 boardings per day along the route sprinkled among 66 busses, or about 30 people boarding each bus.

So the airport/downtown/campus service exists today, it's just a bus.  No capital investment needed.  Maybe 1,000-1,500 folks are using it each day.  What is the ridership of the Blue Line going to be?  Is it worth it versus the bus line they have today? It's hard to find any projection on the Project Connect website.

From Lakeline Station it would take nearly 2 hours to get to the airport.  Yes buses exist but they aren’t convenient.  Having a reliable, predictable train schedule would increase the number a people using public transportation.  The cost/benefit is still wildly unbalanced but the blue line connecting to the red line would be very beneficial.  The Green line doesn’t seem worth the squeeze but that one was political.

Extending the initial blue line to the airport is a gigantic waste of money. Use of rail to get to the airport is <10% of passengers nationwide in cities with airport rail stops and that includes cities that are much more dense than Austin. It also does nothing to alleviate traffic on surface roads since airport traffic is spread throughout the day as opposed to concentrated during rush hours. When the scope gets pulled back because of cost overruns, the airport should be one of the first things to get chopped.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/13/2022 at 4:16 PM, Vegas64 said:

In my opinion this is just example eleventy billion why most adults simply don’t trust numbers with government projects. There is always scope creep and/or moving financial mechanisms that always make the assumptions and model being voted on one that is “happy path” and unrealistically conservative as the real project implemented will be over budget and way over deadline. 

You want to double or even triple and initial budget forecasts.  Both in time to complete and costs.  

• 3 weeks later...

For all it's growth, central Austin is still a small town. I'm sure there is at least 1 here who knew the deceased, especially since this happened in the posh neighborhood and everyone here is the 1%.

Sounds like Michael Brett Moore was an asshole extra ordinaire.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/apd-identifies-2-found-dead-in-west-austin-home/

Murder suicide in Tarrytown

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin Police Department released the identities of two people involved in a suspected murder-suicide in west Austin.

Austin Police said a welfare check call came in just after 1:30 p.m. on April 29 at a home in the 1600 block of Forest Trail, near Enfield Road and MoPac Expressway.

Police found two people dead with trauma to their bodies. They both had gunshot wounds.

Jaclyn Parrish, 42, was the victim in a murder-suicide that occurred off Forest Trail in west Austin on April 29, Austin Police said. Jaclyn Parrish, 42, was the victim in a murder-suicide that occurred off Forest Trail in west Austin on April 29 …

On May 4, Austin Police identified the victim as Jaclyn Parrish, 42, and the suspect as Michael Brett Moore, 40.

APD said “continual dating violence between the couple” appeared to be the motive.

Parrish’s manner of death was determined to be a homicide, while Moore’s manner of death was determined to be a suicide, APD said.

In a statement from Parrish’s family attorney, her family said everyone “deserves a relationship free from domestic violence.”

“If you or someone you know is in a dangerous situation, the family encourages you to seek out assistance as soon as possible,” said the attorney.

hotdog prices are serious business.

these 2 fucksticks are examples of why dirty 6th is a shithole.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/men-accused-of-beating-up-downtown-austin-food-vendor-over-6-hot-dog/

Jeremy Delgado, 21, and Bobby Wynn, 19, were arrested after APD officers spoke with witnesses at the scene and reviewed HALO cameras in the area of the incident. Through a witness account, the affidavit said the Delgado pushed the vendor to the ground following an argument over the price of the hot dog — $6 — and then he and Wynn “punched and kicked the vendor several times.”

Another witness said Delgado started yelling at the vendor about the price, and then it “got out of hand,” the affidavit said.

Austin-hot-dog-vendor-brutally-beaten-by

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/rent-goes-up-2500-austin/

In the TikTok video, Katelyn shows an email that starts with the word “Congratulations” and lists what she claims is her current rent price, $2,200. The video then cuts to reveal what Katelyn says would be her new rental cost if she chose to renew—$4,678, a staggering increase of almost $2,500. Katelyn notes she is based in Austin, Texas.

Her anger is misplaced lol

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Are we under another fucking boil notice? Just got a voicemail but it was cut off at the beginning

nothing in news, austin water, or on twitter. it may be specific to your area due fixing leaks.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/8a124bcb3c65411daeb5f3d549ecd6d3

Edited by crash_davis

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/men-accused-of-beating-up-downtown-austin-food-vendor-over-6-hot-dog/
Jeremy Delgado, 21, and Bobby Wynn, 19, were arrested after APD officers spoke with witnesses at the scene and reviewed HALO cameras in the area of the incident. Through a witness account, the affidavit said the Delgado pushed the vendor to the ground following an argument over the price of the hot dog — $6 — and then he and Wynn “punched and kicked the vendor several times.”
Another witness said Delgado started yelling at the vendor about the price, and then it “got out of hand,” the affidavit said.
Austin-hot-dog-vendor-brutally-beaten-by-Jeremy-Delgado-and-768x512.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
WTF is a HALO camera?

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:
5 hours ago, crash_davis said:
Austin-hot-dog-vendor-brutally-beaten-by-Jeremy-Delgado-and-768x512.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

WTF is a HALO camera?

big brother cameras on 6th street corners

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/help-from-above-a-look-at-apds-halo-cameras-and-how-they-work/269-561140577

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Austin-hot-dog-vendor-brutally-beaten-by

Am I the only one that sees it

napoleon-dynamite-pedro.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/rent-goes-up-2500-austin/

In the TikTok video, Katelyn shows an email that starts with the word “Congratulations” and lists what she claims is her current rent price, $2,200. The video then cuts to reveal what Katelyn says would be her new rental cost if she chose to renew—$4,678, a staggering increase of almost $2,500. Katelyn notes she is based in Austin, Texas.

Her anger is misplaced lol

Hah. I went to college with her and her now husband. Looks like she's doing well on social media. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Those cameras' feeds should be uploaded to the cloud in real time and be available for anybody with an internet connection to watch.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Reed has an extensive criminal history of aggravated robbery, according to the arrest affidavit, and had been ordered by a Travis County Judge to wear an ankle monitor, which had been removed. He's also a suspect in multiple robberies in the past several weeks.

I used to so so on the death penalty. Now I think we aren't killing enough idiots. Fuck him.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Maybe we should keep people arrested multiple times for aggravated robbery in jail instead of letting them go with an ankle monitor. Just spitballing here.  

And rain on our DA's grand plan? What will he do with all the lollipops he hands to these model citizens when they're out within 24 hours?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Mueller neighbors being neighborly.

FlipFlopGuy: really? Ya got a problem here?

BeardGuy: You got a problem? Why dont you not look at your fucking phone and look at your fucking dog while you fucking walk . . . before it gets fucking stepped on. Ya fucking idiot.

GrayGirl: . . . asshole . . .

FlipFlopGuy: Do we . .

BeardGuy: Hey fuck you <walks across the street> Ya got a problem with me?

FlipFlopGuy: <Hands leash to GrayGirl>

BeardGuy: Huh?

GrayGirl: Why are you walking across ... mean whats . . .

BeardGuy: Because . . Oh I'm feeling great, actually I just helped out a family member of mine, loaned em some money, helped out a really big problem for them. I'm feeling great. And I think

GrayGirl: You wouldn't

BeardGuy: Listen! Why dont you shut up and listen

FlipFlopGuy: Hey, don't talk to her that way

BeardGuy: Hey, dont<hands up in a what are you going to do about it gesture>

FlipFlopGuy: <punches BeardGuy a couple times, ground pounds him in the steet while a car honks>

BeardGuy: Listen man, what is the matter with you.

FlipFlopGuy: And that is what my <what> would say is fucked up.

BeardGuy: I did not say that sir! First of all, second of all I'd love to get your information

FlipFlopGuy: Sir I'm going

BeardGuy: you just assaulted me

FlipFlopGuy: you're right, I did

BeardGuy: I'd like to get your information

FlipFlopGuy: I don't appreciate what you did to my dog and the way you talked to my girlfriend.

BeardGuy: I didn't do anything to your dog and you just assaulted me bro

FlipFlopGuy: Now your the victim? you're the victim?

BeardGuy: You just assaulted me, yes I'm the victim of assault

FlipFlopGuy: whatever, c'mon

BeardGuy: No no I'd like to get your information

FlipFlopGuy: I'm fine

BeardGuy: no you just assaulted me

FlipFlopGuy: I asked you to talk to my dog respectfully and you didnt do that so why do I have to give you my information

BeardGuy: you just assaulted me, that's a little bit different

BeardGuy: Hey man! I'm gonna call the cops and follow you, will somebody call the cops real quick. OK. I'm gonna follow you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

WTF is wrong with BeardGuy?   People like that deserve to be punched in the mouth.  He and MultipleRobberyTeen should be forced to hang out in a cell together for a while.  BeardGuy will end up dead after MultipleRobberyTeen has enough of his smug bullshit, and then we can can execute MultipleRobberyTeen.  Everyone wins!

I forget where my buddy said he was walking at night, but he sees a guy that was likely homeless and very agitated. Talking to himself, yelling. As they approach each other, he sees the guy pick up a large rock off the ground and then start to move towards him. My buddy pulls his knife in a way the crazy guy sees it and he immediately turns and takes off in a different direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I forget where my buddy said he was walking at night, but he sees a guy that was likely homeless and very agitated. Talking to himself, yelling. As they approach each other, he sees the guy pick up a large rock off the ground and then start to move towards him. My buddy pulls his knife in a way the crazy guy sees it and he immediately turns and takes off in a different direction.

Should I have been letting scissors win against rock all these years?  Also, I never understood why paper beats rock.  It can cover rock, but rock can easily break through. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

On 6/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, bschoolprof said:

Maybe we should keep people arrested multiple times for aggravated robbery in jail instead of letting them go with an ankle monitor. Just spitballing here.  

city / county / state would go broke

we need more courts / judges / prosecutors