What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, "wanting to get help" is the rub.  When you're in a mental health crisis, or in the throes of addiction, the "want to get help" function is a bit broken (on addiction, see any number of threads on this board).

We have to deal with this population.

We should do so on a way that is not overly harsh or cruel, but also strikes a balance to protect the public and property.  We've done a better job of that at certain times.  Other places do a better job.  We should do more of that, and less of our current approach, which fails every goal.

I agree but this is not an Austin issue. I don't want my taxes to pay for every shithead homeless person who shows up at the city limit with his hand out saying, "Fix me, Bro!"

I'm already pissed the state takes over 1/2 our AISD tax money and puts it in a general fund to use for fuck knows what. Because of that, we just had to approve new bonds to fund AISD infrastructure projects. So we pay twice?

Now we want to shell out $10s/100s of millions every few years to help every asshole who makes his way down here? Bullshit.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, crash_davis said:

I agree but this is not an Austin issue. I don't want my taxes to pay for every shithead homeless person who shows up at the city limit with his hand out saying, "Fix me, Bro!"

I'm already pissed the state takes over 1/2 our AISD tax money and puts it in a general fund to use for fuck knows what. Now we want to shell out $10s/100s of millions every few years to help every asshole who makes his way down here? Bullshit.

No disagreement here.  Our failures on this issue run up and down the ladder.  But again, there are models to follow that at least get it better than Texas/Austin does.  We should, umm, learn from those and apply them.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

No disagreement here.  Our failures on this issue run up and down the ladder.  But again, there are models to follow that at least get it better than Texas/Austin does.  We should, umm, learn from those and apply them.

We should flip the playbook and start busing homeless to Plano, Frisco, all DFW suburbs, Katy, and all the shithole Houston suburbs. Maybe we'll start getting State support.

• Hook 'Em 2

We should flip the playbook and start busing homeless to Plano, Frisco, all DFW suburbs, Katy, and all the shithole Houston suburbs. Maybe we'll start getting State support.

Despite Houston making some strides into getting some homeless off the streets, we’re closed. Park is full. And the homeless are already in the burbs. There are plenty of camps in the Jersey Village area and almost into cypress. Also, out towards Katy there are large camps near Mason road and I-10.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 12:57 PM, crash_davis said:

7 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Despite Houston making some strides into getting some homeless off the streets, we’re closed. Park is full. And the homeless are already in the burbs. There are plenty of camps in the Jersey Village area and almost into cypress. Also, out towards Katy there are large camps near Mason road and I-10.

Would you two quit bickering and acknowledge the solution that's starting you in the face.

1017169665_where-is-oklahoma-hd2.jpg.80d6e4d24b7f6d69882a99a35681978d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Daily reminder. Fuck the homeless. Fuck Gerg Casar and what he brought to this city.

https://www.kxan.com/news/in-the-middle-of-a-war-zone-salon-owners-face-increasingly-dangerous-encounters-with-homeless-camp-residents/

“It feels like the city dropped a bunch of children and women in the middle of a war zone with no training and they are just hoping for no casualties,” North told KXAN.

“We need the city’s help. We can’t do this on our own,” she added.

“We’re begging for help, we’re desperate for help at this point,” Mutschler said.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Daily reminder. Fuck the homeless. Fuck Gerg Casar and what he brought to this city.

https://www.kxan.com/news/in-the-middle-of-a-war-zone-salon-owners-face-increasingly-dangerous-encounters-with-homeless-camp-residents/

“It feels like the city dropped a bunch of children and women in the middle of a war zone with no training and they are just hoping for no casualties,” North told KXAN.

“We need the city’s help. We can’t do this on our own,” she added.

“We’re begging for help, we’re desperate for help at this point,” Mutschler said.

Ah, that area. The underarm of Ben White is getting back to its old self - filth, trash, the smell of piss and everything that else we've missed so much. There's even a grassy median area just north of Arby's that is its own little village of tents. New development. Hats off to the homeless for continually considering expansion plans. No better place than Austin to do that. 

Yep.  Hopefully they can clean off the patio and get it permitted for use pretty quickly.  It's one of my favorite patios in town (it's close to the office, and cold beer and crawfish).  But goddammit.
And they wrote the story as if it was arson.  Which, in that area, likely points to the local homeless population.  I am aware that there are various competing concerns regarding the homeless population, and various competing "solutions" that range from extremely harsh to extremely soft.  But it sure seems like we could reach an approach that keeps them from wandering downtown and lighting shit on fire.  That's, umm, sub-optimal.

Already back to normal there, including bums milling about.
  • Like 1

I complained upthread about the homeless camp in West Campus behind the Chi O house. They are having routine bonfires every night, threatening the students, and being normal asshole homeless which includes shitty, pissing and getting high everywhere. My daughter and her sorority sisters (no fucking pics) live in fear. 

I can't believe we are still dealing with this shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I complained upthread about the homeless camp in West Campus behind the Chi O house. They are having routine bonfires every night, threatening the students, and being normal asshole homeless which includes shitty, pissing and getting high everywhere. My daughter and her sorority sisters (no fucking pics) live in fear. 

Maybe there will be some sort of vote to reinstate the camping ban. 

Oh, wait. 

3 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Maybe there will be some sort of vote to reinstate the camping ban. 

Oh, wait. 

It did no fucking good taking down the welcome sign after the rats already invaded. They can piss, shit, camp, and thieve with reckless abandon. Cops and the city aint doing shit about it other than inconvenience them every once in awhile. They have more rights than home and business owners. It takes an act of god to get them removed. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It is interesting that is for sure. We keep catching pretty much the same homeless on video breaking windows and damaging cars and the police don't do anything. It is getting pretty expensive and dangerous for businesses and their employees.

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I called 311 the other day about a new camp occupying a median by my place. They had a stack of stolen bikes and I recognized some things that used to be on my neighbors patios.

I called 311 because they had a big fire going, and transfered me to 911 because of the fire.

The camp was gone the next day. 

Guess my point is tell your daughter to call 911 when those cunts have a fire going. That seems to motivate our fearless piggies into action.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

It is interesting that is for sure. We keep catching pretty much the same homeless on video breaking windows and damaging cars and the police don't do anything. It is getting pretty expensive and dangerous for businesses and their employees.

What's the point in arresting the bums when they're going to be back out on the street within 48 hours, probably given a lollipop on the way out. 

It's Austin. 

• Rage+1 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, Wally Pryor said:

What's the point in arresting the bums when they're going to be back out on the street within 48 hours, probably given a lollipop on the way out. 

It's Austin. 

They weren‘t being prosecuted before the ban was repealed, either. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the police are a big part of the problem and you shouldn’t be giving them a pass.

Say what you will about Acevedo, when he was here everybody knew who the boss was. if he was still chief the police would have gone right back to the way things were before the ban was repealed the day after the election to bring it back.

The scary thing is that a lot of the old leaders have quit and now you’re left with a force where not only do the vast majority not live in town, but likely almost half never have, and it’s not clear who is charge. I’m don’t think anybody is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

They weren‘t being prosecuted before the ban was repealed, either. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the police are a big part of the problem and you shouldn’t be giving them a pass.

I'm not into passes, for anyone -  janitors, lawyers, head coaches, street workers or anyone else, including cops. Black, white, yellow, brown, whatever. I don't give a shit.

But I'm guessing doing your job as a cop with the camping ban is pretty much a shit show circus with Spencer Crock as the wayward ring leader. He was assigned as the individual to oversee implementation of the camping ban that went into effect May 1, 2001. He was (and is) in charge of mandating everything around getting rid of tents, trash, urination / defecation and all the other joys relating to our red carpet laid down on every public street in Austin. In charge of dictating what anyone can and cannot do when it comes to eradicating camping in the city. The vast majority of voters, by far, said that it needed to be cleaned up. Cleaned up? Take a look at Ben White today. The homeless aren't into leaving public property. More so, they're now into expansion mode. Think not? Grab an outdoor seat at the Arby's on 71 and Westgate and behold the new sights looking north.

Everyone is just taking direction from Cronk and the 10 buffoons on the city council. This is a tribe that not only wants to ignore the camping ban but, more so, wants public camping to be part of our city's hallmark card from the chamber of commerce as it desperately tries to be a city with a Pacific NW zip code. And, guess what? There's no one that's going to challenge or change that. The voters asked for it to be banned. Alas, two years later, camping in the city is not going away. It's beginning to thrive again. And will continue to do so despite Matt Mackowiak, his goons and their camping ban challenges. They're collectively a medium-sized fart in a sustained, very gusty wind.

I don't blame Cronk, per se. He's just getting marching orders. And this has never been an issue about being anti homeless. It's about being anti-camping in the city. And more so, about being against the idiocy, buffoonery and crookedness in our city government that gets $60,000,000 a year to address homelessness. $60,000,000 a year. And somehow, miraculously, can't figure out how to get a few thousand homeless people off the city streets and into housing, while still being able to line their pockets a little. It's a joke. But the bigger joke has been and will continue to be the collective idiocy of the Austin voting base that continues to put these clowns in charge. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I don't blame Cronk, per se. He's just getting marching orders. 

I disagree that the City Manager in any homerule city in Texas is that deferential to their Council, but either way, but either way, you're tapping into something important here, which is that City Management is a huge part of the problem. And the union is a problem as well, because bad management begets bad unions and vice versa. I know the new mayor is absolutely focused on getting those BBs back into the box ASAP. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

What should happen after you get arrested for a misdemeanor?

That's a great question. What would you want to happen if the same people broke your windows and your neighbor's windows once per week?

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, crash_davis said:

Ridiculous. Austin is the only city government that makes Dallas look competent. Glad I don’t live there. 

On 1/26/2023 at 2:15 PM, crash_davis said:

OK I get it, there are some lines you wont cross. But if you have any pics of them just frolicking in the shower, those should do nicely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:57 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I disagree that the City Manager in any homerule city in Texas is that deferential to their Council, but either way, but either way, you're tapping into something important here, which is that City Management is a huge part of the problem. And the union is a problem as well, because bad management begets bad unions and vice versa. I know the new mayor is absolutely focused on getting those BBs back into the box ASAP. 

I think Cronk gets too much of a pass.  He was hired to bring to Austin what he got done in Minneapolis: effectively end single-family zoning. We all know what a total shitshow the Land Development Code rewrite attempts have been and how divisive his and his allies' approach is. That's been almost his entire focus, although he's responsible for managing city operations.  Issues with APD, the homeless population problems, and ABIA power outages and non-TSA/FAA staffing problems are just a few recent examples of his incompetent management skills. The buck should stop with him but that motherfucker just got rewarded with a raise.  He needs to go.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My kid's elementary school teacher gave her notice and today is her last day. The principal just sent an email that they've had zero applicants and they've reached out to the 30+ substitutes on their list and no one has responded. A teacher who retired last year will sub this next week but retirees are banned from subbing more than a few days in a row.  It's at the one of the top 3 elementary schools in the district and they still can't get anyone for the job. This is gonna be a shitshow.

• Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My kid's elementary school teacher gave her notice and today is her last day. The principal just sent an email that they've had zero applicants and they've reached out to the 30+ substitutes on their list and no one has responded. A teacher who retired last year will sub this next week but retirees are banned from subbing more than a few days in a row.  It's at the one of the top 3 elementary schools in the district and they still can't get anyone for the job. This is gonna be a shitshow.

Gone are the days not long ago when there were 150,000+ applications sitting in the HR files at AISD headquarters. 
(my DIL was in charge of the processing until she moved to another district)