What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

5 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

A Leander ISD student went to their 2/23 meeting and made a public comment that boys are masturbating in class and the hallways while teachers do nothing about it. Honestly can't tell if she's being serious or if this is an Alex Stein-type gag.

https://www.leanderisd.org/boardoftrustees/

Just imagine what's happening in Liberty Hill

A Leander ISD student went to their 2/23 meeting and made a public comment that boys are masturbating in class and the hallways while teachers do nothing about it. Honestly can't tell if she's being serious or if this is an Alex Stein-type gag.

Leanderthals acting like savages?

You don’t say.

27 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Which high school?

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Leanderthals acting like savages?

You don’t say.

LISD is huge. We're up to 6 high schools with plans for a 7th. LISD runs from Vandegrift HS on 2222 near 360 to Glenn HS, which is damn near in Liberty Hill. All the nutters that ran for School Board last year lost, but they still show up to school board meetings and spout their nonsense. This has strong "Kids that identify as furries are allowed to use litter boxes!!!" vibes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

CoA is paying $20 an hour for lifeguards. That seems ideal if you're a high school kid looking for a little cash.

In the past, you could not pick the pool you were assigned to, so it eliminated a lot of applicants who didn’t have a car or who weren’t allowed to drive across town.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

In the past, you could not pick the pool you were assigned to, so it eliminated a lot of applicants who didn’t have a car or who weren’t allowed to drive across town.

Yeah but you could work something like Ramsey Pool which would be super chill

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

yea, I found it and sent it to him. Seems like a dream job for a 16 year old boy. 

Barton Springs is tough in that there is drinking, some near drownings, and lots of space to cover. A summer lifeguard told me that it is a tough gig.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Barton Springs is tough in that there is drinking, some near drownings, and lots of space to cover. A summer lifeguard told me that it is a tough gig.

I was there a few years ago when Barton Springs had a drowning. Watching the lifeguards pull the body out and perform CPR for awhile and then stop because it did not good was a pretty sobering experience.

One of the lifeguards on duty that day, maybe the one doing the CPR, died a couple of years later drowning in Barton Creek.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

My brother was a lifeguard at Stacy Park pool in Travis Heights in 1959. It was sometimes a tough gig on weekend evenings with the redneck gangs hanging around. 
He worked at Shipe in far north Austin in 1960 and liked it a lot better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My brother was a lifeguard at Stacy Park pool in Travis Heights in 1959. It was sometimes a tough gig on weekend evenings with the redneck gangs hanging around. 
He worked at Shipe in far north Austin in 1960 and liked it a lot better.

Loving the "far north Austin" Shipe pool reference!  4400 Avenue G -- Hyde Park neighborhood!  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Belongs in the "What the fuck is wrong with you, Leander?" thread. 

I found IT. THE thing wrong with Austin. We have 30K millionaires, and probably not the credit card variety!!!!!! Suck on that rest of the state!!!!!!! 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/01/fastest-growing-cities-millionaires-us-henley-and-partners-2023-wealth-report.html

Austin is the No. 1 fastest-growing U.S city for millionaires

According to Henley and Partner’s 2023 wealth report, cities like Austin, Texas, and Scottsdale, Arizona, are gaining millionaire residents, while bigger cities like Chicago, and New York City are losing them.

Top 5 fastest-growing U.S. cities for millionaires

1. Austin, Texas

2. West Palm Beach, Florida

3. Scottsdale, Arizona

4. Miami, Florida

5. Greenwich and Darien, Connecticut

The No. 1 city on the list is Austin, Texas. According to the report, the Texas city saw a millionaire growth rate of 102% from 2012 to 2022. In December 2022, Austin was home to 30,500 millionaires, 86 centi-millionaires, and nine billionaires.

Over the years, Austin has emerged as a tech hub. Companies like Amazon, Google, Meta, SpaceX, and Tesla have expanded their presence in the city. In 2019, Apple invested $1 billion to build a new campus.

Thanks to that influx, Austin has also become a growth market for luxury real estate, according to Henley and Partner’s 2023 wealth report.

A recent Bankrate report states that the median sale price for a home in Austin as of January 2023 was $530,000, according to Redfin data. Although it was a 5.4% decline year-over-year, it’s still well above the national median price of $359,000.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Anyway, getting the BB's back in the box is the mayor's top priority, and one clear sign of that is announcing Jesus Garza  as interim city manager.  When I heard that my reaction was similar to when Marcellus Wallace told Jules he was sending the Wolf. 

A couple weeks later, ACM who handles police out, replaced by former asst. chief, and much more. 

Austin’s interim city manager shakes up leadership team after initial organizational review

THURSDAY, MARCH 2, 2023 BY NINA HERNANDEZ

Interim City Manager Jesús Garza is ushering in a new era of leadership this week.

On Wednesday, his office announced two high-profile departures from city management, as well as four new hirings that Garza billed as “a solid foundation for the future” of Austin’s city leadership team.

The departures include longtime Assistant City Manager Rey Arellano and Jacqueline Yaft, executive director of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Arellano, who was appointed to the position in 2013 and was responsible for overseeing public safety outcomes within the city, announced his retirement. Yaft, who was appointed executive director of the airport in the summer of 2019, will resign.

In the announcement, Garza said, “Rey and Jacqueline have each served this city for several years, and it is important to me that we thank them for their many contributions. I wish them all the best.”

Additions include a special assistant for the city manager, a new interim assistant city manager, a new interim executive director of the airport, and a consultant to oversee the organizational changes, all of whom have prior experience in Austin city leadership positions.

Joe Canales, former deputy city manager, will return as special assistant to Garza. Bruce Mills, former assistant chief of the Austin Police Department, will take over Arellano’s duties as assistant city manager over public safety. Jim Smith, former executive director of ABIA, will return to his old role. And Laura Huffman, another former city manager who recently left her post as head of the Austin Chamber of Commerce, will serve as “a consultant in change management.”

The change-up comes after Garza, who was appointed in the interim capacity after the firing of former City Manager Spencer Cronk, started an organizational review of the city on Feb. 15. As part of that review, he has worked with department leadership to identify areas of immediate need.

“There are many important issues, and I recognize and support the Council’s sense of urgency in meeting our community’s expectations for quality service,” Garza said in the press release. “I am confident that this group of seasoned professionals  who are here on an interim basis  can help deliver on those issues the way the public and Council expects, laying a solid foundation for the future.”

0ab3c22f-63f4-4ce9-82aa-abdad6f23c14_tex

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The Girl Scouts have been robbing people for years with those cookie prices. 

• Rage+1 1

yeah, I assume there's some local bloggers that are tracking this much closer than we are.  And like McNulty of BPD will tell you, the currents may vary so we just think they're ending up in the same general area of Town Lake.  But I wonder if the bodies are still fitting that pattern of young adult men last seen on Rainey Street with no real signs of trauma/struggle other than drowning.  Are they being drugged first?  Toxicology reports?  Anything?  This is now officially starting to get weird.  

I know these incidents are being reported as they occur, but I'm surprised the Statesman or one of the local network affiliates haven't done a deeper dive (no pun intended) into these events and tried to piece together some sort of pattern.  Seems like it's starting to happen too often to be a coincidence.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

yeah, I assume there's some local bloggers that are tracking this much closer than we are.  And like McNulty of BPD will tell you, the currents may vary so we just think they're ending up in the same general area of Town Lake.  But I wonder if the bodies are still fitting that pattern of young adult men last seen on Rainey Street with no real signs of trauma/struggle other than drowning.  Are they being drugged first?  Toxicology reports?  Anything?  This is now officially starting to get weird.  

Austin Tech Companies: "It's easier than firing them."

• Haha 1

I mean, they had two beat writers covering the homeless sword attacks.  This seems like it'd be ripe for the crime desk to dive into.  Tie it back to big city problems, lack of police, another Austin serial killer on the loose, I dunno something.  I mean, they're all being found in roughly the same part of Town Lake with very similar "lack of signs" on their bodies.  

SXSW driver mows down dozens on Red River.

Austin Serial Bomber.

Man flies plane into IRS building.

Rash of young men found drowned in Town Lake between Congress Avenue bridge and IH-35 bridges.  

What do they all have in common besides horrific local stories making national headlines?  They happened in the last ~dozen years, between mid-Feb to mid-March.  

Must be the Bluebonnets.  

Edited by YGIFS

On 3/3/2023 at 5:02 PM, ztejas said:

That Randall's is one of the weirder groceries in town. Up there with the Burnet/Allendale HEB - although that one may be past its halcyon (of weirdness).

Shittiest selection of beer too back in the day. Even 7/11 had more variety.