What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

that thing's already huge, what're they going to add to it?  

that rundberg heb is a whole nother thing.  you can't push a shopping cart outside of the store doors because the wheels lock.  well you can but it's hard.  that location actually has a lot of things you can't find in any other heb though.  

manor/183.  wells branch/35.  those two are the worst.  wells branch is worse b/c it doesn't have the unique mexican cuts/ingredients you can find at manor/183.  a manager at that wells branch heb once told me they prioritize stocking the most common food stamp items and that's all the room they have.  it's in serious need of a facelift.  since 1973 i think they've only painted the front.   

Wells Branch/Pville #1 opened in 1987-88 and was last remodeled around 2010 but carry on.
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Ooh, that's false--183 and Spicewood doesn't have the store bakery made tortillas.  Likely because their clientele is 70% Asian but still...

That’s just the store you stop at when you need and 1 to 2 items, not a full cart of shit. It’s just a real small store. Most of us in the area drive past it on our way to the Lakeline or Parmer/McNeil stores.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2023 at 4:08 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

The pattern is they drowned.  If Austin had lifeguards all Summer, more people could learn to swim.  Solution: hire more lifeguards and focus on retention.

I reaally think the lifeguard shortage stems from how many kids like to smoke weed and get fired for same via piss tests. Source: my son (in Houston/Bellaire) who got canned along with four of his buddies years ago for a hot piss. It was ridiculous. You think the lifeguards weren't baked in the 70s and 80s? And yet they still guarded lives.

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

Wells Branch/Pville #1 opened in 1987-88 and was last remodeled around 2010 but carry on.

are you sure?  there's a large texas mural signed by employees with the date 1973 at the front of the store by the checkout registers.  maybe i read it wrong or maybe it doesn't mean what i think it means. 

10 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I reaally think the lifeguard shortage stems from how many kids like to smoke weed and get fired for same via piss tests. Source: my son (in Houston/Bellaire) who got canned along with four of his buddies years ago for a hot piss. It was ridiculous. You think the lifeguards weren't baked in the 70s and 80s? And yet they still guarded lives.

You sound pretty cool, pops. 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

are you sure?  there's a large texas mural signed by employees with the date 1973 at the front of the store by the checkout registers.  maybe i read it wrong or maybe it doesn't mean what i think it means. 

Absolutely sure it was 1987 or early 88. Wells Branch stopped right where it was, the store itself was built but not the adjoining shopping center, 1825 was being widened out. It’s technically Austin store #7. Store #6 on Mopac and Parmer opened in 1986.

Absolutely sure it was 1987 or early 88. Wells Branch stopped right where it was, the store itself was built but not the adjoining shopping center, 1825 was being widened out. It’s technically Austin store #7. Store #6 on Mopac and Parmer opened in 1986.

ab694f05d848f96a541a3076c97dc741.png
My memory did not fail me.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:20 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

yea, I found it and sent it to him. Seems like a dream job for a 16 year old boy. 

On 3/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, Bevo said:

Barton Springs is tough in that there is drinking, some near drownings, and lots of space to cover. A summer lifeguard told me that it is a tough gig.

20 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

good thing they didn't drug test life guards in Austin back in the mid 80s to early 90s.  I guarded at BSP for years in high school and undergrad and was high 95+% of the time. As were most of my coworkers.

Back in my day, the city paid more if you worked at BSP. If they are paying 20 buck an hour at a neighborhood pool, they might be paying 25 at BSP.

• Hook 'Em 1

For fuck's sake...

Vending machine at SXSW sells items from old Austin places lost to gentrification

"We wanted to have a vending machine with relics of places that no longer exist as a reminder of what's been lost,"

https://www.kvue.com/article/entertainment/events/sxsw/sxsw-vending-machine-old-austin-gentrification/269-08263592-b518-4235-a6d0-ff3b72719ee1

i haven't been in Austin for six months, after having lived here for 30+ years. 

i've been here for almost a week. i've eaten every place from EyM to Chez Zee to Black's (in Lockhart) to Thundercloud (twice bc wtf they added a new sandwich since we left The Ladybird!)

anyways bt the bluebonnet extravaganza and the gotdamn food and my friends and the giant sunsets in 65 degree temps, i see you Austin trying to look cute and make me feel bad for leaving 😄🧡🤘

p.s. i do not feel bad at all for leaving lol but this has been a nice trip 🧡

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i haven't been in Austin for six months, after having lived here for 30+ years. 

i've been here for almost a week. i've eaten every place from EyM to Chez Zee to Black's (in Lockhart) to Thundercloud (twice bc wtf they added a new sandwich since we left The Ladybird!)

anyways bt the bluebonnet extravaganza and the gotdamn food and my friends and the giant sunsets in 65 degree temps, i see you Austin trying to make me feel bad for leaving 😄🧡🤘

p.s. i do not feel bad at all for leaving lol but this has been a nice trip 🧡

Against the spirit of the thread but we'll allow it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Feel like Project Connect should get its own damn thread. Can't believe that passed after the mess that Mopac toll lanes were to build. Sure... let's give the city a ton of money to build billion-dollar tunnels.

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Feel like Project Connect should get its own damn thread. Can't believe that passed after the mess that Mopac toll lanes were to build. Sure... let's give the city a ton of money to build billion-dollar tunnels.

You can start here:

Or here: 

Can you expand on the mopac mess? Because it was late? Or the undercrossing hard rock?

7 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I can't believe anyone would wonder how city of Austin voters could do such a thing.

Need bond money for something? Put the words "tunnel" and "bike lanes" on the bond package. Will pass easier then Panchos through Brisket's intestines before an international flight.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

^
You laugh.  And you should.  But we could propose, for safety reasons of course, underground bike lines, and I could get $300mm approved before you could finish your doubled-over chuckle marathon.  

Could we piggy back on this and get underground Gondolas approved as well?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hey, at least we got a shitty wall made of inconsistent materials, slightly mismatched portions, and sloppy lines of uneven posts out of the deal. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, demos said:

So these buffoons are going to spend deep 6 figures to fix Candlewood on an "emergency" basis and have it ready in a few months just so it again can be trashed and burglarized, all the while 5 years into ownership of the building not a single homeless person has been housed in it.

The high comedy knows no boundaries with these unbridled clowns.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

So these buffoons are going to spend deep 6 figures to fix Candlewood on an "emergency" basis and have it ready in a few months just so it again can be trashed and burglarized, all the while 5 years into ownership of the building not a single homeless person has been housed in it.

Well it could be worse.  At least it's not a large former McDonald's building in Times Square.

17 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

It's all good. Our elected officials got their kickbacks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1