What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Overnight incident that has Adler’s Austin all over it -

Man accosts woman riding scooter at 12:30AM under I-35 bridge, asks for sex, she refuses, he “jaws” her several times (breaking her jaw), rapes her, gets caught near the scene, she IDs him, he admits it all, he describes the crime, bloody evidence found at scene. 
Media headlines says: “Allegedly”. 
WTF? There ain’t any “allegedly” about it. 

edited to add: In an unrelated incident, another fatal shooting took place overnight in Southeast Austin. Murder #21 so far this year? 
Nothing to see here.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Man accosts woman riding scooter at 12:30AM under I-35 bridge, asks for sex, she refuses, he “jaws” her several times (breaking her jaw), rapes her, gets caught near the scene, she IDs him, he admits it all, he describes the crime, bloody evidence found at scene. 

edited to add: In an unrelated incident, another fatal shooting took place overnight in Southeast Austin. Murder #21 so far this year? 
Nothing to see here.

From KXAN: This is being investigated as the 21st homicide of the year, and 6th in ten days.

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, Lewis has multiple prior arrests, with a most recent 2020 misdemeanor assault charge and a 2018 aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge.

The most recent charge in 2020 was a Class A misdemeanor which would have gone through the County Attorney’s Office and carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail. His 2018 charge was his most previous felony charge and documents show mental competency was questioned during that process.

Police described Lewis as “transient” in documents.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-charged-with-sexual-assault-accused-of-attack-near-downtown-austin/

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Nothing to see here.

It's "allegedly" to keep the media from being sued for libel/tainting the jury pool/etc.

So basically, lawyers. 

58 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, Lewis has multiple prior arrests, with a most recent 2020 misdemeanor assault charge and a 2018 aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge.

The most recent charge in 2020 was a Class A misdemeanor which would have gone through the County Attorney’s Office and carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail. His 2018 charge was his most previous felony charge and documents show mental competency was questioned during that process.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-charged-with-sexual-assault-accused-of-attack-near-downtown-austin/

So another homeless fuckstick. I'm so fucking sick of these scumbags.

They commit crimes, the city continues to release them until they burn down a building or rape an innocent woman. Fuck these assholes.

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, hornian said:

It's "allegedly" to keep the media from being sued for libel/tainting the jury pool/etc.

So basically, lawyers. 

1234.  A lot of people don't seem to understand that.  They usually write the stories in a way that you know the person is guilty as hell, but they still have to watch the language they use.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

One of Greg Casar’s Urban Achievers 

• Haha 1

Just now, Armybrat said:

Santos says hi.

Oh, no doubt. But Casar unveils a camping free for all, gets overturned by a vote, and then his reward is going to the HoR. And don't get me wrong, I know what a clown show that place is right now. Still makes me shake my head.

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

One of Greg Casar’s Urban Achievers 

And very proud of them, are all

of we.  I’m too dumb to see it but there is a connection between the Rainey Street deaths and our homeless carnival.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/23/2023 at 10:12 AM, crash_davis said:

I am sure there is shit missing from this story. With that said, I'm not sure what else added to this story could change the fact that this is fucked up. Maybe she was acting batshit crazy but the fact that APD, the airline, and the jailers couldn't de-escalate the situations with a 71 year old lady is fucking depressing. I'm sure she was stressed as fuck. This is fucking crazy.

TLDR: 71 yr old hearing impaired lady misses flight, ends up in jail for 3 days with a broken arm

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2023-03-24/austin-jailer-breaks-elderly-deaf-womans-arm-after-misunderstanding-at-airport/

Karen McGee, a deaf, 71-year-old Florida resident, is considering a lawsuit against the city of Austin after what was supposed to be a three-hour layover at Austin-Berg­strom International Airport turned into an arrest, a weekend in the Travis County Jail, and an arm broken by a jailer and left untreated for three days.

McGee's ordeal began on the afternoon of Sept. 13, 2022, as she waited for a connecting flight from Austin to Seattle. She was flying alone for the first time in her life and nervous because her hearing aids weren't working well, so she sat within sight of the ticket desk to see when her plane would begin boarding. After noticing that it hadn't boarded on time she spoke with a ticket agent and was distressed to learn that she had missed an announcement that her gate had changed. With her plane already gone, she was issued a ticket for a flight leaving that evening.

While McGee waited for this flight, she texted with her cousin and learned there was another plane parked at the same gate, going to the same destination. She approached the ticket agent and asked if she could switch her ticket to this flight. She had trouble hearing the agent's response but understood the answer was no. She then made the same request to a different agent. Unbeknownst to McGee, this second agent called the police.

“This case, in my opinion, is Exhibit A for why Travis County and the city need to stop saying they can’t put [counsel at first appearance] in place.”  – Attorney Rebecca Webber

McGee's attorney, Rebecca Webber, said she has video showing that the officers who responded did not ensure that McGee could hear them. During the exchange, an airport employee read McGee a trespass warning. "He doesn't get down on her level at all, which is the only way to get her to hear you," Webber said. "If they had any training about how hearing aids work they would know that in a loud area she won't be able to distinguish just one voice. The person needs to get down on her level, speak slowly, and then she'll be able to put it all together."

McGee was placed in a wheelchair and pushed to the front of the airport, believing she was in the process of rebooking her flight. Once outside, officers handcuffed her and took her to the Travis County Jail on suspicion of trespassing. "All I did was stand up and then they were all around me," McGee said. "And I don't remember them saying anything to me, or even to each other."

At the jail, McGee said, she was shoved against a wall as officers stripped off her clothes, and she screamed, "Not my ring!" when officers began to remove it. She said an officer then told her something she did not understand, she asked, "What?" and in response a different officer twisted her handcuffs with enough force to break her arm.

McGee says that she "lost time" and awoke in a jail cell with her clothes back on, but inside out. Her arm was aching and she held it close to her body. She was given Aleve but not taken to an emergency room. Upon leaving the jail after three days of detention, she collapsed. A police officer called an emergency medical technician, who helped her contact her husband and get her to a hotel for the night. She had surgery on her arm after making it home to Florida. After examining the trespassing case, County Attorney Delia Garza chose not to prosecute.

Webber said that McGee's ordeal could have been avoided if the city would commit to guaranteeing free defense attorneys to people when they are brought to the jail, a process known as "counsel at first appearance," or CAFA. "If Travis County and the city of Austin had instituted counsel at first appearance, every single person involved would have realized that Karen McGee does not belong in jail," Webber said. "This case, in my opinion, is Exhibit A for why Travis County and the city need to stop saying they can't put CAFA in place."

I'm going to bet the ranch that once all the facts are in, evidence will clearly show this 71 year old woman threatened the lives of the gate agent, the airport police, the other 2-3 thousand travelers, the chick at the Salt Lick counter, the city police and all of the jailers on duty at the time she was brought to the jail. A veritable killing machine. Literally.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

1234.  A lot of people don't seem to understand that.  They usually write the stories in a way that you know the person is guilty as hell, but they still have to watch the language they use.

I mean, it's been a running joke on this site, when somebody makes an outlandish statement, followed by "(allegedly)."

Example:  atomheartbevo likes to put gerbils up his ass (allegedly).

22 hours ago, texasdago said:

Yes, and 20 sucks because we were making some progress in 2022 and after 2021 BUT anytime people use raw numbers of murders in Austin (# of murders vs homicide rate) remind them that the glory days of Austin... you know, "the good ole days that are gone and now Austin sucks" were deadlier.

image.png.d5ab2822577be64e7c5eba34823cef91.png

Oh...and in this shows numbers from 2019 but using the numbers from 2020, 2021 or 2022, Austin would not sniff this list... https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/3/

As someone who lived through it, the 1980s were fucking rough.

You can tell a lot about the zeitgeist by the dystopian future that is envisioned in their movies.  And look at the dystopian-future movies from the 80s (and going back to the 70s)--they're all about crime.  Escape from New York, Robocop, fuck--even Back to the Future Part II--they're all envisioning a future of rampant crime.

Crime statistics nationally start dropping precipitously right around 1990.  There are a number of theories as to why, including access to abortion and the elimination of lead in gasoline.  It's an absolutely fascinating question as to why that happened.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

So another homeless fuckstick. I'm so fucking sick of these scumbags.

They commit crimes, the city continues to release them until they burn down a building or rape an innocent woman. Fuck these assholes.

Yeah--I'm really very liberal.  And I'm generally very sympathetic to the homeless.

But these aren't the people who are down on their luck and find themselves unhoused for a few months until they get get back on their feet.  These are the chronic homeless.  And I'm goddamned sick of it and ready for a rather draconian clean-up.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--I'm really very liberal.  And I'm generally very sympathetic to the homeless.

But these aren't the people who are down on their luck and find themselves unhoused for a few months until they get get back on their feet.  These are the chronic homeless.  And I'm goddamned sick of it and ready for a rather draconian clean-up.

Same.  "Every time I have to pick up human shit, my liberalness just got lowered one more notch."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I mean, it's been a running joke on this site, when somebody makes an outlandish statement, followed by "(allegedly)."

Example:  atomheartbevo likes to put gerbils up his ass (allegedly).

Now do one with an outlandish statement.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

As someone who lived through it, the 1980s were fucking rough.

You can tell a lot about the zeitgeist by the dystopian future that is envisioned in their movies.  And look at the dystopian-future movies from the 80s (and going back to the 70s)--they're all about crime.  Escape from New York, Robocop, fuck--even Back to the Future Part II--they're all envisioning a future of rampant crime.

Crime statistics nationally start dropping precipitously right around 1990.  There are a number of theories as to why, including access to abortion and the elimination of lead in gasoline.  It's an absolutely fascinating question as to why that happened.

Lulz. In Austin? Your concerns are warranted but from what planet did you just arrive? I'm sure (hope) you realize things really aren't going to change. Ain't going to happen, it will only get worse. The people that are driving the city aren't going to change because the people voting in that ilk aren't going to change. Anyone that thinks it is probably can't wait to see the Easter bunny in a couple weeks. 

On a lighter note, I did see an interesting drum circle this morning on the Ben White access road in one of the many little camps that has risen over the last 2-3 months between 35 and Lamar.  Just across the access road from the old Taco Jalisciences (orange building). Hopefully these 5 guys can hitch a ride to Eeyore's next month. They'd be welcome additions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My compassion for the homeless died in 2006-2009 when I worked in the office building at the Omni. I drove by the ARCH every week day. Seeing the mass congregation of tweaked out homeless every week day when I drove home for lunch made me realize what ails them cannot be fixed by a providing them a roof over their heads. They are homeless because years of bad decisions and want to stay homeless because they want to be drugged out 24/7. Since then, it's only gotten worse from Casar put up the Homeless Everywhere, Welcome to Austin sign. We are not getting rid of the rats. Many many more came and are here to stay.

Too late to edit above post.

And then in 2017, I was sitting in traffic on a bridge over 71. Saw a homeless dude drop his pants, squat, take shits in his hand and throw the shit over the overpass onto the cars below. Yea, a roof over that dude's head isn't going to solve his problems, nor I am willing to pay for the rehab of every fucker like him.

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

My compassion for the homeless died in 2006-2009 when I worked in the office building at the Omni. I drove by the ARCH every week day. Seeing the mass congregation of tweaked out homeless every week day when I drove home for lunch made me realize what ails them cannot be fixed by a providing them a roof over their heads. They are homeless because years of bad decisions and want to stay homeless because they want to be drugged out 24/7. Since then, it's only gotten worse from Casar put up the Homeless Everywhere, Welcome to Austin sign. We are not getting rid of the rats. Many many more came and are here to stay.

Yeah, but we're working on those roofs. Emergency $500K declaration to get the Candlewood fixed so we can have another emergency fix in 6 months when the place is again ransacked and destroyed.

I feel good about some homeless being in the facility by YE. YE 2029.

• Haha 1

This town has been celebrating homelessness for ages. Leslie is somehow some sort of Austin hero. I saw him intentionally expose himself to some little girl of about 5 or 6 years old one day during lunch at 6th and Congress. Lifted his skirt up within a foot of her face and let in hang in front of here.  That's what this town holds up to worship. The rest of the bums are just trying to reach those heights. 

I know this is a sucker bet, but I actually think Watson has a legit chance to make some headway here.

First and foremost, all he has to do is just not be Adler, which is pretty easy in it's own right.

Second, if he just stops the freefall spending of a generic "homeless" issue and start focusing that shit to specific goals with discernible outcomes/successes.

Third, just start enforcing the god damn laws that are already on the books and re-iterated by the voters.

He knows how Austin is viewed by the rest of the State and by the Lege, and he also knows that just making literally ANY positive headway in this arena will cement him a pretty good legacy.

I know, I know....image.jpeg.d179b5b6789057fc199b8a89304bed76.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

28 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

I know this is a sucker bet, but I actually think Watson has a legit chance to make some headway here.

First and foremost, all he has to do is just not be Adler, which is pretty easy in it's own right.

Second, if he just stops the freefall spending of a generic "homeless" issue and start focusing that shit to specific goals with discernible outcomes/successes.

Third, just start enforcing the god damn laws that are already on the books and re-iterated by the voters.

He knows how Austin is viewed by the rest of the State and by the Lege, and he also knows that just making literally ANY positive headway in this arena will cement him a pretty good legacy.

Season 2 Fingers Crossed GIF by The Leftovers HBO

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

3 minutes ago, hornian said:

Season 2 Fingers Crossed GIF by The Leftovers HBO

Hope-is-a-dangerous-thing.-Hope-can-driv

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Sheeeeit. If Watson is just "not Adler" I'll be waving "Watson 2024" flags and starting boat parades on Lake Travis. 

Quick, someone get me a photoshop of Watson's head on Rambo's body.

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Lulz. In Austin? Your concerns are warranted but from what planet did you just arrive? I'm sure (hope) you realize things really aren't going to change. Ain't going to happen, it will only get worse. The people that are driving the city aren't going to change because the people voting in that ilk aren't going to change. Anyone that thinks it is probably can't wait to see the Easter bunny in a couple weeks. 

On a lighter note, I did see an interesting drum circle this morning on the Ben White access road in one of the many little camps that has risen over the last 2-3 months between 35 and Lamar.  Just across the access road from the old Taco Jalisciences (orange building). Hopefully these 5 guys can hitch a ride to Eeyore's next month. They'd be welcome additions. 

If things don't change, we're going to be looking at Mayor Fitlump in four years.

And no--I'm not kidding.  Not even a little bit.

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

If things don't change, we're going to be looking at Mayor Fitlump in four years.

It is absolutely 100% one day going to be Alter v. Kelly.  I can't explain how much I guarantee this.   It was probably the part where they both put steak knives in my face at holiday parties and told me to get in line and shut the fuck up.  

21 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

It is absolutely 100% one day going to be Alter v. Kelly.  I can't explain how much I guarantee this.   It was probably the part where they both put steak knives in my face at holiday parties and told me to get in line and shut the fuck up.  

And I'll tell you what else--I think Kelly is the favorite in that match-up.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

She'll be kicked out of office when they discover she was mailing out her used panties to her subscribers using COA postage.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

This town has been celebrating homelessness for ages. Leslie is somehow some sort of Austin hero. I saw him intentionally expose himself to some little girl of about 5 or 6 years old one day during lunch at 6th and Congress. Lifted his skirt up within a foot of her face and let in hang in front of here.  That's what this town holds up to worship. The rest of the bums are just trying to reach those heights. 

Holy shit. Parent wasn’t around?

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Holy shit. Parent wasn’t around?

Mom was right there and in shock. Just grabbed her little girl and took off. Cops came out, but Leslie was still there later that afternoon. Mom and daughter were gone, so I guess they didn't bother hauling him down. He was a disgusting human being. 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Mom was right there and in shock. Just grabbed her little girl and took off. Cops came out, but Leslie was still there later that afternoon. Mom and daughter were gone, so I guess they didn't bother hauling him down. He was a disgusting human being. 

Ah, didn’t think about it being just mom.   Luckily he didn’t catch the wrong dad; might have had his nuts lying next to him when the cops arrived.  

He was also racist as fuck. If he wasn’t wearing women’s panties, he probably would’ve been in prison or murdered years before it finally happened.

Yeah I didn’t get all the Leslie love either…understanding he was completely unavoidable downtown and somewhat of an icon due to the cross dressing, dude was generally disgusting.  

I was walking back to the Brazos garage on fifth/sixth in like 2005 when I tripped over him in an alcove, wigged out on something and drumming on a bucket.  Would also yell racist shit and stumble around trying to get money…often late when I was just trying to get my death metal / Hoeks on before cabbing home.  

How should we expect APD to focus on crime when they have their hands full with elderly deaf women trying to fly home?

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2023-03-24/austin-jailer-breaks-elderly-deaf-womans-arm-after-misunderstanding-at-airport/

Karen McGee, a deaf, 71-year-old Florida resident, is considering a lawsuit against the city of Austin after what was supposed to be a three-hour layover at Austin-Berg­strom International Airport turned into an arrest, a weekend in the Travis County Jail, and an arm broken by a jailer and left untreated for three days.

McGee's ordeal began on the afternoon of Sept. 13, 2022, as she waited for a connecting flight from Austin to Seattle. She was flying alone for the first time in her life and nervous because her hearing aids weren't working well, so she sat within sight of the ticket desk to see when her plane would begin boarding. After noticing that it hadn't boarded on time she spoke with a ticket agent and was distressed to learn that she had missed an announcement that her gate had changed. With her plane already gone, she was issued a ticket for a flight leaving that evening.

While McGee waited for this flight, she texted with her cousin and learned there was another plane parked at the same gate, going to the same destination. She approached the ticket agent and asked if she could switch her ticket to this flight. She had trouble hearing the agent's response but understood the answer was no. She then made the same request to a different agent. Unbeknownst to McGee, this second agent called the police.

“This case, in my opinion, is Exhibit A for why Travis County and the city need to stop saying they can’t put [counsel at first appearance] in place.”  – Attorney Rebecca Webber

McGee's attorney, Rebecca Webber, said she has video showing that the officers who responded did not ensure that McGee could hear them. During the exchange, an airport employee read McGee a trespass warning. "He doesn't get down on her level at all, which is the only way to get her to hear you," Webber said. "If they had any training about how hearing aids work they would know that in a loud area she won't be able to distinguish just one voice. The person needs to get down on her level, speak slowly, and then she'll be able to put it all together."

McGee was placed in a wheelchair and pushed to the front of the airport, believing she was in the process of rebooking her flight. Once outside, officers handcuffed her and took her to the Travis County Jail on suspicion of trespassing. "All I did was stand up and then they were all around me," McGee said. "And I don't remember them saying anything to me, or even to each other."

At the jail, McGee said, she was shoved against a wall as officers stripped off her clothes, and she screamed, "Not my ring!" when officers began to remove it. She said an officer then told her something she did not understand, she asked, "What?" and in response a different officer twisted her handcuffs with enough force to break her arm.

McGee says that she "lost time" and awoke in a jail cell with her clothes back on, but inside out. Her arm was aching and she held it close to her body. She was given Aleve but not taken to an emergency room. Upon leaving the jail after three days of detention, she collapsed. A police officer called an emergency medical technician, who helped her contact her husband and get her to a hotel for the night. She had surgery on her arm after making it home to Florida. After examining the trespassing case, County Attorney Delia Garza chose not to prosecute.

Webber said that McGee's ordeal could have been avoided if the city would commit to guaranteeing free defense attorneys to people when they are brought to the jail, a process known as "counsel at first appearance," or CAFA. "If Travis County and the city of Austin had instituted counsel at first appearance, every single person involved would have realized that Karen McGee does not belong in jail," Webber said. "This case, in my opinion, is Exhibit A for why Travis County and the city need to stop saying they can't put CAFA in place."

Got nothing on this homeless guy trying to "cook" nachos. Hope they were good for $1MM in damages.

High praise to the KEYE content guy on this.

The Austin Fire Department has arrested a man accused of setting a downtown Austin historic building on fire while trying to make nachos on Tuesday.

AFD said John Daniel Banks, 32, was arrested on Tuesday, March 21 after allegedly setting the Granberry Building, located at 907 Congress Avenue, on fire.

This happened just after midnight on Tuesday, March 21 just a few blocks from the State Capitol.

According to the arrest affidavit, Banks was staying in the abandoned building without permission. He admitted that he tried to light a bag of chips on fire because he thought it would be a good way to cook nachos.

Banks said the bed caught on fire. He tried to put the fire out and left the building. When he returned, there was a fire on the second floor.

Fire officials estimated the damages from the fire at about $1 million.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-man-arrested-for-setting-downtown-historic-building-on-fire-causing-1m-in-damages

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Got nothing on this homeless guy trying to "cook" nachos. Hope they were good for $1MM in damages.

High praise to the KEYE content guy on this.

The Austin Fire Department has arrested a man accused of setting a downtown Austin historic building on fire while trying to make nachos on Tuesday.

AFD said John Daniel Banks, 32, was arrested on Tuesday, March 21 after allegedly setting the Granberry Building, located at 907 Congress Avenue, on fire.

This happened just after midnight on Tuesday, March 21 just a few blocks from the State Capitol.

According to the arrest affidavit, Banks was staying in the abandoned building without permission. He admitted that he tried to light a bag of chips on fire because he thought it would be a good way to cook nachos.

Banks said the bed caught on fire. He tried to put the fire out and left the building. When he returned, there was a fire on the second floor.

Fire officials estimated the damages from the fire at about $1 million.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/austin-man-arrested-for-setting-downtown-historic-building-on-fire-causing-1m-in-damages

Shouldn't this be on the "Shit I've cooked lately" thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Casar, Adler,  and their ilk put the homeless thing on steroids.  they were called bums at one time and cities/towns would make it painful for them to stay in one place...move them along to another town, where that town, then moves them along, to another town.  maybe a percentage of them clean up and figure a way out(usually through some type local religious or secular charity).

once you put out the welcome mat of "come on in and stay, you can help us keep Austin weird!" they overwhelm the area and no amount of hotel purchasing will fix it.

the horse is out of the barn unless someone actually decides it is going to be a huge pain in the ass to be homeless in Austin, especially if it is apparent you don't want to even try to help yourself.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2