What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Exactly. The driver was arrested and is facing a fuck load of felony charges. He’s 17.

Pablo-Antonio-Avila-Banagas-austin.jpg.9d299adf6260ef18120f242aa60489ef.jpg

Failure to stop and render aid, injury to a disabled person, failure to identify, unlawful carrying of a weapon. 

He better hope that dude makes it out alive. 

Pablo-Antonio-Avila-Banagas-austin.jpg.9d299adf6260ef18120f242aa60489ef.jpg
Failure to stop and render aid, injury to a disabled person, failure to identify, unlawful carrying of a weapon. 
He better hope that dude makes it out alive. 

He survived and and is out of the hospital. I saw an article earlier about the APD charity buying him a new electric wheelchair.

I fully expect our AG to have him deported if he reads the article since it sounded like he’s a Mexican National.
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

He survived and and is out of the hospital. I saw an article earlier about the APD charity buying him a new electric wheelchair.

I fully expect our AG to have him deported if he reads the article since it sounded like he’s a Mexican National.

That's good to hear. Anyone fucking with disabled people makes me ragey. 

On 9/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Thanks for the resource. 

Also, quit killing each other y'all. It ain't worth it. You ruin someone's life... their family's life... your life... and then your family's life. So incredibly destructive.

You know what…I really appreciate the advice.

I was about to murder my neighbor and torch his family for running his sprinklers when we are under a hand watering notice, but I read your words and thought better. It’s really not worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I went through that intersection Tuesday afternoon.

Didn’t hit close to home.

That little stretch their heading north always has me paying extra attention.  It can lull you to sleep if all the lights are green and you’re doing 60.  Plus the light before that at Amberglen lines up perfectly with the bigger 45/620 intersection ahead, can be hard at a distance to tell if you need to stop.  

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I went through that intersection Tuesday afternoon.

Didn’t hit close to home.

That little stretch their heading north always has me paying extra attention.  It can lull you to sleep if all the lights are green and you’re doing 60.  Plus the light before that at Amberglen lines up perfectly with the bigger 45/620 intersection ahead, can be hard at a distance to tell if you need to stop.  

• Hook 'Em 1

APD provided the following list of changes the department made in response to the survey: monthly award ceremonies, email blasts to the “APD Family,” expansion of professional development, monthly development webinars, a chief’s advisory committee and suggestion box, a wellness app through Cordico, a transfer policy and new transfer portal, exit surveys, increased career development and Chacon taking part and making opening remarks during the opening of supervisor school.

Meh. Ditch the monthly award ceremonies and give me more soothing Moments.  City hasn't been the same since they were removed. 

image.png.a8a804bf5ee074249a88084841bf3c7c.png

Some of the quotes from the article: 

“Mayor and City Council seems to have no idea how much their decisions have negatively impacted APD and the citizens of Austin. Employee morale among sworn staff is so low,” said one written APD survey response. “It will take some repair and more visibility from City Manager Spencer Cronk to show support/restore trust. So many are retiring early. Swift action is needed.”

“At the earliest time I can leave this department and retire, I will and not look back. The city has trivialized my profession and completely destroyed this department,” an APD employee wrote. “I don’t know any of my fellow officers who are not currently ‘looking for a way out.’ I was once very proud to call myself a COA employee with the APD. Now, it’s a different story.”

“This city doesn’t support its police department even slightly. The City Council (with the exception of a single member) has proven time and time again over the past two years you couldn’t care less about us, including our physical and mental wellbeing,” an APD employee wrote.

What are the cops butthurt about specifically (serious question)? As in, what has the city council/mayor/manager done which resulted in such poor morale? 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Some of the quotes from the article: 

“Mayor and City Council seems to have no idea how much their decisions have negatively impacted APD and the citizens of Austin. Employee morale among sworn staff is so low,” said one written APD survey response. “It will take some repair and more visibility from City Manager Spencer Cronk to show support/restore trust. So many are retiring early. Swift action is needed.”

“At the earliest time I can leave this department and retire, I will and not look back. The city has trivialized my profession and completely destroyed this department,” an APD employee wrote. “I don’t know any of my fellow officers who are not currently ‘looking for a way out.’ I was once very proud to call myself a COA employee with the APD. Now, it’s a different story.”

“This city doesn’t support its police department even slightly. The City Council (with the exception of a single member) has proven time and time again over the past two years you couldn’t care less about us, including our physical and mental wellbeing,” an APD employee wrote.

What are the cops butthurt about specifically (serious question)? As in, what has the city council/mayor/manager done which resulted in such poor morale? 

Tried to hold them accountable and not be so racist?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Tried to hold them accountable and not be so racist?

I get that's the general sentiment, but what does that mean to the day to day job of an APD officer? Is there more paperwork? New policies which tie their hands? Are they overworked due to staff shortages? Like what is actually different about being an APD cop today vs say 5 years ago. 

edit to add: I would guess being a cop anywhere in America sucks more than it did previously - they're all under a microscope post George Floyd + all the other incidents. But is Austin a "worse" place to work than other comparable city due to policies the city has enacted? 

Edited by BillyBadAss
  • Hook 'Em 1

what's his surly username?

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/tesla-austin-aggravated-assault-supercharging-station

Police say the preliminary investigation shows that before the disturbance, the man had parked his non-Tesla vehicle in one of the charging spots. 

After entering a restricted area at the Tesla Supercharging Station, the man began to urinate and argue with the Tesla employee. Then the man hit the Tesla employee with his car before leaving the scene.

LpQzn0D.jpeg

On 9/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, crash_davis said:

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/apd-officers-slam-city-department-management-in-workforce-survey/

TLDR: Surprise! APD officers' morale low, hate their management and feel under appreciated by the city. Many have and are looking to leave APD. 

Saw this on reddit. 

https://atebitvix.square.site/product/my-girlfriend-s-husband-keeps-austin-safe-sticker/15

image.png.9417f4db9618fb673bacd4b9d7b1bc05.png

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/28/2022 at 2:56 PM, BillyBadAss said:

Awesome timing. APD wants a new contract which would supersede the proposed oversight ballot up for election next year.

APD: Fuck your trying hold us accountable.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2022/09/city-police-union-seek-a-new-contract-before-may-election-when-oversight-is-on-the-ballot/

Meanwhile, Council members voted Sept. 15 to put a petition initiative on the May 6 ballot. Spearheaded by the local political action committee Equity Action, the Austin Police Oversight Act proposes to remove the city’s Office of Police Oversight and Community Police Review Commission from the purview of any future labor contracts. It also would grant the office and the commission access to any police records they require, including confidential personnel files, and allow the office to recommend disciplinary action in cases of police misconduct.

The police oversight act aligns with some of the city’s proposals for the next police labor contract. But because of the timing of the election, there’s a chance voters could pass the act after a new four-year contract is approved.

“An approved police contract would supersede any contrary provision in a local ordinance, unless the union contract itself provides otherwise,” a city spokesperson wrote in an email to Austin Monitor. 

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Do something about it.  Whining on this thread doesn’t cut it.  I am in south Austin and have my shit pushed in on the reg.    What are you going to do about the crime rate, the bitch-assed homeless?  

I think somebody could use a Little Debbie snack cake.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The porch pirates here are ridiculous.   Some asshole came in my backyard and stole the rug off our patio.  Not even the expensive ass chairs, just the rug.   

Well now you did it.  If the thief is one of the ne’er-do-wells on this site, they’re coming back for those expensive ass chairs. 

49 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

No better place to take a nap than at a cop's funeral. Jose Garza is pissed that Adler didn't help him with party decorations in the concourse but that's between the two of them. 

Piece of shit. 

image.thumb.png.ce3a17f9fa83fc46da12b848c3ce9ac5.png

it's a metaphor for how cops have been treating their jobs

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Did they hold 6AM funeral to specifically jack up traffic downtown during rush hour?  My wife is stuck in it on Lamar. 

Everybody has to sacrifice whenever a hero dies, don't you know? Particularly when it wasn't in the line of duty.

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm voting for that Anthony Bradshaw guy because he's always at the 35/71 intersection canvassing for himself during rush hour. 

He's at the southbound Rundberg exit most mornings.

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I'm doing a write in candidate for fitlump because I want to watch the city burn.

Threaten Talladega Nights GIF

Didn't make the news but a friend of a friend told us about his assault con brain damage in the domain parking lot.

He said it was January but could have been more recent, he told no one.  

He was leaving the domain getting into his car in a parking garage when he sees three men surrounding a female and she is asking for help.  He goes over to assist and one of the three pulls a gun while they surround him.  He gets pistol whipped and hits his head on the concrete causing permanent brain damage.  He doesn't remember any of this, this is all from witnesses in the parking garage and the police.  Luckily the female was able to run away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Didn't make the news but a friend of a friend told us about his assault con brain damage in the domain parking lot.

He said it was January but could have been more recent, he told no one.  

He was leaving the domain getting into his car in a parking garage when he sees three men surrounding a female and she is asking for help.  He goes over to assist and one of the three pulls a gun while they surround him.  He gets pistol whipped and hits his head on the concrete causing permanent brain damage.  He doesn't remember any of this, this is all from witnesses in the parking garage and the police.  Luckily the female was able to run away.

Damn that sucks for your friend. Got fucked trying to do the right thing.

I've said it a few times in this thread. I'm sure this is the same across all big cities but stupid shit crime seems to be everywhere in Austin. It's like the criminals know the PD isn't going to do shit about any of it. They seem to think they have free reign over the city. I don't think anyone would disagree.

So we can't have an accountable PD which also does their job? It's either give free reign to the cops or the criminals? 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've said it a few times in this thread. I'm sure this is the same across all big cities but stupid shit crime seems to be everywhere in Austin. It's like the criminals know the PD isn't going to do shit about any of it. They seem to think they have free reign over the city. I don't think anyone would disagree.
So we can't have an accountable PD which also does their job? It's either give free reign to the cops or the criminals? 
It's hard out there for honest people who just want to live their lives. You're stuck between the cops and the criminals.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

@Bozo_Casanova is about to respond guns blazing

You know it’s funny. I’m personally close to people in the Watson orbit. Close enough to be consulted about whether he should run (I said yes!) and some policy proposals (humbled and honored, to say the very least, no joke). 
so I began this campaign as a VERY enthusiastic Watson supporter, and I’m, uh, no longer that. 
It makes me sad, because I really thought/hoped he was the one guy who could get the BBsback in the box. And maybe he is, and I’m wrong, but he’s gone out of his way to alienate the smallhandful of us who actually spend real time on the local issues that matter and I question if he understands that this isn’t 1998 and we are past the point of consensus building on a lot of this.

So, I’m not supporting anybody in public anymore, and I’m not going to vote for Kirk Watson, as strange as that feels.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Similar story happened to a bio classmate at Rio Nueces (West Campus) in the late 80s. Guy was breaking into a car and the student asked him to stop. The guy hit him in the head with a pipe and he lost his hearing and some of his sight on the side that he was hit.