What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

52 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

European, Northeasterner, or just a young twat trying to make a point through hyperbole? 

My favorite part was the earnest belief that people drive pickups so they can fit their groceries in there.  Clearly, he doesn't suffer from a tiny penis or he would understand.

This could also just be placed in the, "please go back where you came from" file.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

what the fuck. just shoot this motherfucker.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/numerous-arrests-highlights-need-for-mental-health-services-for-jail-court-system/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin Police have arrested the same man almost a dozen times just this year. Since 2019, he’s been arrested around 20 times – with court records indicating two of those arrests resulted in jail sentences.

Most of these are property crimes like burglary, theft and criminal trespass.

KXAN first reported on Marion Osborne on Oct. 27, when police arrested him in connection with a downtown burglary at Royal Blue Grocery on Red River Street.

Travis County jail records show police arrested him on charges of a different crime on Nov. 2, an indication Osborne was released days after the Oct. 27 arrest.

Since the end of August, court documents show a series of arrests just weeks apart.

Aug. 24

Sept. 2

Sept. 21

Sept. 28

Oct. 13

Oct. 27

Nov. 2

Looking at the summary of his cases, most of the statuses read “prosecution rejected,” “no charges filed” and “dismissed.”

“There are multiple findings by a court that he was incompetent,” said District Attorney Jose Garza, when KXAN asked why this kept happening.

He said the courts have also decided it’s not likely Osborne will ever be competent to stand trial, and since he can’t face a jury – prosecutors can’t charge him, and therefore can’t legally keep him in custody.

“If a person does not have the mental capacity to stand trial, our jails are not holding spaces for people with mental illnesses,” Garza said.

The director of the Travis County Mental Health Public Defenders Melissa Shearer said she couldn’t comment directly on Osborne’s case because of attorney-client privilege, but she provided the following general context.

When people are incompetent to stand trial and unlikely to restore, there is little role remaining for the criminal legal system. The Constitution does not allow a person to be criminally prosecuted without “sufficient present ability to consult with the person’s lawyer with a reason degree of rational understanding, or a rational as well as factual understanding of the proceedings against the person.”

The ability of a person with serious mental illness to be able to restore to competence deteriorates over time with repeat episodes, inconsistent treatment, and living conditions that are not conducive to wellness.

If a person who is incompetent and unlikely to restore is an imminent danger to self or others, there are some limited options for civil commitment in a hospital.  All of those options require wait lists.

DIRECTOR MELISSA SHEARER, TRAVIS COUNTY MENTAL HEALTH PUBLIC DEFENDERS

The County Attorney’s Office, which dealt with proceedings related to Osborne’s misdemeanor offenses, added that “individuals who are declared incompetent by a medical professional are constitutionally prohibited from being prosecuted.  We are working with community stakeholders to find impactful solutions to a system that has unjustly made our county jail the largest provider of mental health services in our community.”

All three of these legal experts addressed the lack of mental health resources available in the jail and court systems, so KXAN reached out to Dr. Stephen Strakowski, who’s currently working on ways to bring such resources to Travis County.

“We’ve had a major problem with under-resourcing mental health care,” he said.

Investigation Texas’ State Mental Hospital backlog

He said part of the problem is how understaffed and backlogged state mental hospitals are. But he also pointed to the need for community resources that can intervene before people reach the point of needing the state facilities.

“Some individuals stuck in these cycles don’t actually need hospital-level clinical interventions. In Texas and in this country we have under-invested in the community supports that are necessary,” Strakowski said.

Strakowski, Garza and the County Attorney’s Office said they are currently looking into a long-term solution for this issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

what the fuck. just shoot this motherfucker.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/numerous-arrests-highlights-need-for-mental-health-services-for-jail-court-system/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin Police have arrested the same man almost a dozen times just this year. Since 2019, he’s been arrested around 20 times – with court records indicating two of those arrests resulted in jail sentences.

Most of these are property crimes like burglary, theft and criminal trespass.

KXAN first reported on Marion Osborne on Oct. 27, when police arrested him in connection with a downtown burglary at Royal Blue Grocery on Red River Street.

Travis County jail records show police arrested him on charges of a different crime on Nov. 2, an indication Osborne was released days after the Oct. 27 arrest.

Since the end of August, court documents show a series of arrests just weeks apart.

Aug. 24

Sept. 2

Sept. 21

Sept. 28

Oct. 13

Oct. 27

Nov. 2

Looking at the summary of his cases, most of the statuses read “prosecution rejected,” “no charges filed” and “dismissed.”

“There are multiple findings by a court that he was incompetent,” said District Attorney Jose Garza, when KXAN asked why this kept happening.

He said the courts have also decided it’s not likely Osborne will ever be competent to stand trial, and since he can’t face a jury – prosecutors can’t charge him, and therefore can’t legally keep him in custody.

“If a person does not have the mental capacity to stand trial, our jails are not holding spaces for people with mental illnesses,” Garza said.

The director of the Travis County Mental Health Public Defenders Melissa Shearer said she couldn’t comment directly on Osborne’s case because of attorney-client privilege, but she provided the following general context.

When people are incompetent to stand trial and unlikely to restore, there is little role remaining for the criminal legal system. The Constitution does not allow a person to be criminally prosecuted without “sufficient present ability to consult with the person’s lawyer with a reason degree of rational understanding, or a rational as well as factual understanding of the proceedings against the person.”

The ability of a person with serious mental illness to be able to restore to competence deteriorates over time with repeat episodes, inconsistent treatment, and living conditions that are not conducive to wellness.

If a person who is incompetent and unlikely to restore is an imminent danger to self or others, there are some limited options for civil commitment in a hospital.  All of those options require wait lists.

DIRECTOR MELISSA SHEARER, TRAVIS COUNTY MENTAL HEALTH PUBLIC DEFENDERS

The County Attorney’s Office, which dealt with proceedings related to Osborne’s misdemeanor offenses, added that “individuals who are declared incompetent by a medical professional are constitutionally prohibited from being prosecuted.  We are working with community stakeholders to find impactful solutions to a system that has unjustly made our county jail the largest provider of mental health services in our community.”

All three of these legal experts addressed the lack of mental health resources available in the jail and court systems, so KXAN reached out to Dr. Stephen Strakowski, who’s currently working on ways to bring such resources to Travis County.

“We’ve had a major problem with under-resourcing mental health care,” he said.

Investigation Texas’ State Mental Hospital backlog

He said part of the problem is how understaffed and backlogged state mental hospitals are. But he also pointed to the need for community resources that can intervene before people reach the point of needing the state facilities.

“Some individuals stuck in these cycles don’t actually need hospital-level clinical interventions. In Texas and in this country we have under-invested in the community supports that are necessary,” Strakowski said.

Strakowski, Garza and the County Attorney’s Office said they are currently looking into a long-term solution for this issue.

Isn't the state hospital undergoing a multi-million dollar upgrade and expansion?  I know it is because I drive by it once a week.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Isn't the state hospital undergoing a multi-million dollar upgrade and expansion?  I know it is because I drive by it once a week.

Doesn't matter how big we make it if we can't force people to go.

I'm not knowledgeable in this area of the law, but we've got to find a way to make it easier to commit people.  I understand the impetus for the ACLU move to try and stop the shenanigans that went on in the 20th century regarding committing people to hospitals.  At this time it was the right move, but the unintended consequences are on the streets all around us. Surely there is a middle ground. 

Perhaps it's just not possible to prevent egregious misdeeds by they system, though.  Look at how many judges are caught sending people to privately run prisons (or worse) to line their pockets.  The same type of thing would likely happen with privately mental institutions, which would be the natural new business model were the state able to medically institutionalize people again.  Or we can just follow crash_davis' advice and shoot these folks.  Hope I'm never one of them.

• Hook 'Em 4

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/homeless-man-chainsaw-chopping-trees-greenbelt-austin-texas

AUSTIN, Texas - South Austin residents are disturbed about a homeless man with a chainsaw who has been cutting down trees, they said.

Court documents show the man has been arrested multiple times for criminal trespassing. Neighbors said they’re concerned for their safety and want something done.

"Always walking around with a chainsaw and then after a week he had a pole saw," Westlake Neighborhood Resident John James Pepper said.

About a month ago, Coats-Gatz encountered a homeless man near her home.

"This individual named Rami comes after me and says ‘you’re stealing my tools,’ and I’m like, ‘hold on, I’m not stealing your tools, you’re not supposed to be here. The city has cleared everybody out, you can’t build latrines.' He’s like ‘I’m not building a latrine,’ something about Satan is in the trees, what’s wrong with you, are you a satanist," Coats-Gatz said.

She said she was scared and called the Austin Police Department, but he didn’t leave.

"What if next week God tells him to burn the whole forest? There’s people all up and down here, there’s a retirement community, this is a danger back here," Coats-Gatz said.

"I called them after he started building these blair witch instillations that are very creepy," Pepper said.

Neighbors said they hear him at all hours of the night.

"It’s really odd times and just chopping and a saw going off, and then you’ll wake up or come back home and then there’s just more of these weird monolithic structures just stacks of what I believe to be greenbelt trees," Pepper said.

They said they’re scared for their safety.

"I just want to see anything done in regard to the protection of taxpaying citizens and the public lands that we love," Pepper said.

Court documents show Rami Zawaideh has been charged with criminal trespassing in and around the Williamson Creek Greenbelt five times. The County Attorney has rejected prosecuting him three times.

"I would hope that he would get help somewhere and not be allowed to be a repeat offender," Coats-Gatz said.

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/homeless-man-chainsaw-chopping-trees-greenbelt-austin-texas

AUSTIN, Texas - South Austin residents are disturbed about a homeless man with a chainsaw who has been cutting down trees, they said.

Court documents show the man has been arrested multiple times for criminal trespassing. Neighbors said they’re concerned for their safety and want something done.

"Always walking around with a chainsaw and then after a week he had a pole saw," Westlake Neighborhood Resident John James Pepper said.

"This individual named Rami comes after me and says ‘you’re stealing my tools,’ and I’m like, ‘hold on, I’m not stealing your tools, you’re not supposed to be here. The city has cleared everybody out, you can’t build latrines.' He’s like ‘I’m not building a latrine,’ something about Satan is in the trees, what’s wrong with you, are you a satanist," Coats-Gatz said.

She said she was scared and called the Austin Police Department, but he didn’t leave.

"What if next week God tells him to burn the whole forest? There’s people all up and down here, there’s a retirement community, this is a danger back here," Coats-Gatz said.

"I called them after he started building these blair witch instillations that are very creepy," Pepper said.

"It’s really odd times and just chopping and a saw going off, and then you’ll wake up or come back home and then there’s just more of these weird monolithic structures just stacks of what I believe to be greenbelt trees," Pepper said.

"I just want to see anything done in regard to the protection of taxpaying citizens and the public lands that we love," Pepper said.

Court documents show Rami Zawaideh has been charged with criminal trespassing in and around the Williamson Creek Greenbelt five times. The County Attorney has rejected prosecuting him three times.

"I would hope that he would get help somewhere and not be allowed to be a repeat offender," Coats-Gatz said.

Wonder if this bum will cut me a better deal than my current guy. Shit's an and a leg to have a trim and the canopies raised. 

But given how the city gravitates toward trees, environment and the like, I'm surprised he wasn't hanging from one within 24 hours of the first tree going down.

38 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Wonder if this bum will cut me a better deal than my current guy. Shit's an and a leg to have a trim and the canopies raised. 

But given how the city gravitates toward trees, environment and the like, I'm surprised he wasn't hanging from one within 24 hours of the first tree going down.

Only if he was a taxpayer.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Dude should be shot in the head and dumped in a river. 

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm still at a loss why you give the police a pass here. 

I guess they cops are allowed to enforce the ban, I dunno? If they're too lazy to do so then suck as well. I do know Ben White is again starting to look like the old, trash-laden Ben White that we used to know and love.

At least I'm not advocating that the guy be shot in the head and dumped in a river. So we're seeing some progress with me, albeit limited I guess. 

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

I don't see the police enforcing the camping ban that often.  Do y'all?  Am I missing something?

Nope. The camp under the I-35/Airport overpass looks like it's never been cleaned out -- which it actually was once or twice after the camping ban went into effect.  Maybe the downtown camps are cleaned out, but other open and obvious ones around town are thriving.

• Rage+1 1

If a fucking psycho with a chainsaw that has been arrested 5 times will not be prosecuted and locked up, what do you think will happen with some random vagrant that gets arrested for peacefully living under a bridge?  He'd be arrested in the morning and back in his tent by sunset.  I'm not sure that I really blame the cops for not fully enforcing the ban.  They really have no way to do so if the DA doesn't give a shit.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

If a fucking psycho with a chainsaw that has been arrested 5 times will not be prosecuted and locked up, what do you think will happen with some random vagrant that gets arrested for peacefully living under a bridge?  He'd be arrested in the morning and back in his tent by sunset.  I'm not sure that I really blame the cops for not fully enforcing the ban.  They really have no way to do so if the DA doesn't give a shit.  

Between the arrest, transportation, booking, and paperwork, they can spend nearly half their shift on a single homeless, and the next day they are right back out on the street with no bond and all charges dropped because the DA just lets them go. APD sucks in many MANY ways but this is one of those that I can’t blame them for.

• Hook 'Em 7

• 4 weeks later...

What a fucked up story. The girl must've been completely panicked and lost. I get sad and ragey imagining what she went through in those final hours.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/her-daughter-died-when-a-car-hit-her-on-mopac-now-this-mom-faces-a-murder-charge/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A woman was indicted on two charges, including felony murder, after her 14-year-old daughter was hit and killed by a pickup truck on MoPac Expressway in November 2021.

Court documents state Tenby Turner, 50, abandoned her daughter, Sterling Grace Turner-Williams, at Barton Creek Mall on Nov. 23, 2021.

Turner faces two charges: felony murder and abandon endanger child imminent danger bodily injury.

Retired Judge Charlie Baird said because the teen died as the original abandonment felony was committed, the charges against the mother upgraded to murder.

“The mother is accused of committing the felony offense of abandonment of a child and during the course of that offense, she committed an act clearly dangerous to human life. And that’s how you would elevate this offense… to a murder case,” he said.

Baird added typically, murder charges accompany another felony in this fashion in cases where someone is committing a felony DWI offense and crashes, killing another person. Whereas if the crash was an accident, the driver might get a manslaughter case instead.

KXAN reached out to Turner’s attorney, who released the following statement:

I can only state that this was a tragic accident, not a crime. Ms. Turner is heartbroken about the loss of her daughter.  We will enter a plea of not guilty to all charges. I have no further comment.

According to an arrest affidavit, Turner took the 14-year-old girl to the mall for dinner and a movie around 6 p.m.

Turner said in a 911 call she “blacked out” and woke up around 2 a.m. at a dentist’s office about 10 miles away from the mall, court records stated.

“I have not seen a case similar to this in my 40 years of practicing law,” said Baird, commenting on the rarity of these particular circumstances.

According to the affidavit, Turner told the 911 operator: “we were at the movie theater and… we separated at that point in time and to be honest with you I had too much to drink and I woke up in my car and she had called me 19 times.”

During the call, Turner said the last time she saw her daughter was “a little bit” after 6 p.m., the affidavit stated.

Turner said Sterling had Asperger syndrome, the affidavit stated.

At 8:49 p.m., 911 got a report of a female, later identified as Sterling, who was walking northbound on MoPac, according to court records. Then, at 8:52 p.m., another 911 caller reported a female was hit by a vehicle while crossing the southbound lanes of MoPac.

Austin Police arrived on the scene at 8:55 p.m. in the 2700 block of MoPac and found Sterling with traumatic injuries. She was initially identified as “Jane Doe,” the arrest warrant said. However, medical records were able to identify Sterling.

According to court records, Sterling suffered multiple traumatic injuries.

Sterling was pronounced dead at about 12:40 a.m., and court records said Turner called 911 around 4 a.m. to report her daughter missing.

There was a hearing in the case on Monday, and the next hearing is scheduled for mid-February.

soooo....with that out of the way. let's dig a little deeper on the mom, Tenby.

Her are some pics, current and old. Seems that she was an "actress" in a previous life. OHHHHHHHHHHHHH, she's a REALTOR. 

Spoiler

Realtor photo

piw_Kaiz_400x400.jpg

Mugshot photo

2202578.jpg

old MAW photos (Model/Actress/What-the-fuck). MAW is a call back to the Hornfans gaycial thread.

gc22f0201.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c3bec0cf065

gc21f0305.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d47f96c30ec

gc21f0128.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a3bb3413dcb

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...

In a possible road rage incident, 21 yr old mother of 2 shot dead.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/woman-killed-in-apparent-road-rage-shooting-on-stassney-lane-police-say-austin

Police say a woman found dead in her car in Southeast Austin Friday night was killed in an apparent road rage shooting.

It happened in the 500 block of East Stassney Lane, outside an apartment complex just west of Interstate 35.

The Austin Police Department says officers responded to the scene at around 8:40 p.m. When they arrived they found 21-year-old Elizabeth Lopez inside a crashed vehicle, unresponsive, and suffering from a gunshot wound. She died at the scene.

According to detectives, Lopez's death was the result of a road rage incident. The suspect left the area immediately after the shooting in a light-colored sedan.

From reddit, apparently kids were in the car and witnessed the horror.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comments/109q2z3/woman_killed_in_apparent_road_rage_shooting_on/

"My employee lives in the apartment complex the girl crashed into after getting shot. Her friend called 911 while my employee got the kids out of the backseat (yes the kids were IN THE CAR when their mom got shot). My employee went to check on the mom and saw her hunched over with a large chest wound. It was very traumatizing for all. My heart goes out to everyone. I really hope they find the lower than life scum who did this and they rot in prison for the rest of their pathetic tiny life."

I don’t honk my horn anymore. Even as a nice gesture (like you drive by someone you know and honk at them) bc mostly you just startle them and it’s not pleasant. I was on the feeder road of I35 right outside temple and a guy was exiting and I didn’t see him. I should have yielded to him. We didn’t collide or anything.  Obviously I was in the wrong but he flipped out and started weaving around and screaming at me and then would get in front of my car and start slamming on the brakes and it was at night I was all by myself. It scared the shit out of me. His girlfriend you could tell was pleading with him to quit it and finally he backed off me but it went on for like 10 minutes. I didn’t call 911 and I probably should have. But since that incident I do not honk. People are fucking unhinged. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'll hit the horn briefly when I'm at a stoplight and the driver of the car in front clearly isn't paying attention, but I don't use a quick whistle.  I only do it if it's a REALLY long time, and often I get the "I'm sorry" wave from the driver.

If that's enough to get me shot and killed, well, I wasn't meant to remain on this planet any longer, anyway.

BUT... I don't ever rage-honk or engage with people who are clearly enraged themselves.  Definitely not worth it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

the problem is when someone else is clearly in the wrong bc you can tell they literally don't see you - like changing lanes, merging, pulling into traffic, etc - the horn is the only thing to warn/correct them. my mate will often have a complete and total shitfit yelling at someone as described above... and i'm like 'feel better? bc she has no idea she even cut you off' (sorry about that @Nicole44, he'd had a long day 😄)

that's what the horn is for. i'm not saying use it without consideration... but vehicles have them for safety reasons, not just to express rage. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, mchookem said:

the problem is when someone else is clearly in the wrong bc you can tell they literally don't see you - like changing lanes, merging, pulling into traffic, etc - the horn is the only thing to warn/correct them. my mate will often have a complete and total shitfit yelling at someone as described above... and i'm like 'feel better? bc she has no idea she even cut you off' (sorry about that @Nicole44, he'd had a long day 😄)

that's what the horn is for. i'm not saying use it without consideration... but vehicles have them for safety reasons, not just to express rage. 

Exactly. If someone does some really stupid shit that is endangering life or property I'm going to at least make them aware of that. 

If they want to shoot me because of it then that's their prerogative. I just wouldn't leave the house if I analyzed every single thing I might do during the day that someone could shoot me over. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Some fucking assholes set the deck of Shoal Creek Saloon on fire.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/shoal-creek-salon-experiences-fire/269-d1d3f552-a5f8-4eb2-a285-b39212f9d819

They'll still be open, but obviously the patio is out of action for a while, and right as we head into crawfish season.  Fucking fuck.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Some fucking assholes set the deck of Shoal Creek Saloon on fire.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/shoal-creek-salon-experiences-fire/269-d1d3f552-a5f8-4eb2-a285-b39212f9d819

They'll still be open, but obviously the patio is out of action for a while, and right as we head into crawfish season.  Fucking fuck.

Bad timing.  From the video it doesn't look like the trailer was involved, so silver linings. 

51 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Bad timing.  From the video it doesn't look like the trailer was involved, so silver linings. 

Yep.  Hopefully they can clean off the patio and get it permitted for use pretty quickly.  It's one of my favorite patios in town (it's close to the office, and cold beer and crawfish).  But goddammit.

And they wrote the story as if it was arson.  Which, in that area, likely points to the local homeless population.  I am aware that there are various competing concerns regarding the homeless population, and various competing "solutions" that range from extremely harsh to extremely soft.  But it sure seems like we could reach an approach that keeps them from wandering downtown and lighting shit on fire.  That's, umm, sub-optimal.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Hopefully they can clean off the patio and get it permitted for use pretty quickly.  It's one of my favorite patios in town (it's close to the office, and cold beer and crawfish).  But goddammit.

And they wrote the story as if it was arson.  Which, in that area, likely points to the local homeless population.  I am aware that there are various competing concerns regarding the homeless population, and various competing "solutions" that range from extremely harsh to extremely soft.  But it sure seems like we could reach an approach that keeps them from wandering downtown and lighting shit on fire.  That's, umm, sub-optimal.

Name one good thing that resulted from city leadership (FUCK YOU greg casar!) inviting homeless from around the country to come to Austin to piss, shit, sleep and trash anywhere they wanted to.

• Hook 'Em 2

The city has allowed a piss pants camp to flourish at 290 and Cameron of the past few months. Of course we get the correspong uptick in crime in my nearby neighborhood. 

Actually getting home break ins along with the usual car theft. Maintenance actually found evidence of squatters in an empty unit. 

There are a lot of single women here of all ages, and always see them doing the stupid shit every cop will tell you not to do. 

I have no doubt Luna would scare any perp away from my place, and I've got the shockwave loaded in arms reach just in case.

I just know one of these kids will be walking around after midnight with head phones on and their face buried in their phone, and some cocksucker is gonna jump on that opporunity.

Edited by MissingInAction

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

The city has allowed a piss pants camp to flourish at 290 and Cameron of the past few months. Of course we get the correspong uptick in crime in my nearby neighborhood. 

Actually getting home break ins along with the usual car theft. Maintenance actually found evidence of squatters in an empty unit. 

There are a lot of single women here of all ages so it's a criminals paradise.

I have no doubt Luna would scare any perp away from my place, and I've got the shockwave loaded in arms reach just in case.

I just know one of these kids will be walking around after midnight with head phones on and their face buried in their phone, and some cocksucker is gonna jump on that opporunity.

Yeah.  It's a sub-optimal outcome for ALL concerned (it ain't kind for the homeless people, either).  I think that wherever you fall on the spectrum, harsh or compassionate, the current outcome is not good.  That's what's maddening to me -- all parts of the spectrum should be able to agree that what we're doing now isn't working.  

Burned down business patios isn't good for the community.

Living under an overpass isn't good for the homeless.

I want my damn crawfish and beer.  And I don't want people to suffer.  They aren't incompatible goals.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

I want my damn crawfish and beer.  And I don't want people to suffer.  They aren't incompatible goals.

I think the homeless people wanting to get help are getting help. That leaves the assholes who are willingly homeless which I think are the majority. These are the thieving, drug addicted, chaos creating assholes. FUCK the whole lot of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think the homeless people wanting to get help are getting help. That leaves the assholes who are willingly homeless which I think are the majority. These are the thieving, drug addicted, chaos creating assholes. FUCK the whole lot of them.

Well, "wanting to get help" is the rub.  When you're in a mental health crisis, or in the throes of addiction, the "want to get help" function is a bit broken (on addiction, see any number of threads on this board).

We have to deal with this population.

We should do so on a way that is not overly harsh or cruel, but also strikes a balance to protect the public and property.  We've done a better job of that at certain times.  Other places do a better job.  We should do more of that, and less of our current approach, which fails every goal.

• Hook 'Em 2