Tim Beck Thread

OU Sucks

Was looking at the clip from 2Q of 2016 0U  game, from 0U 16 and trailing 20-0, the one where Heard motions right (short side/boundary) and sets, Ehlinger as far as I can see never even glances left where both slot and H-back are uncovered, and slot's defender starts edging into his blitz well before the snap. As play unfolds, both slot and H-back are wide open for six, but Ehlingher's looking at Heard the whole way and throws to him EZ sideline - even if he'd caught it, didn't look like he coulda gotten a foot down...

The play's not all that badly conceived - two receivers wide open, nothing wrong with that. 

Ehlinger not seeing it is kind of a freshman mistake, but... is it a matter of Beck not coaching him to be more aware (it is game six after all) or Beck insisting that he ONLY throws to Heard on that play? IE, is this on Beck for poor (or no) coaching, or is it on Ehlinger for not seeing it?

Hmmm ... not seeing quote, but...

Aw, hell, you ain't gotta send no money, just gimme a heart.

An somebody answer the damn question: - I know all but about four of you were QBs in high school and took the academic scholly instead...

15 minutes ago, The Tower said:

where do i send my $9.95 to?

Ah - there it is.

11 minutes ago, EtOH said:

Tim Beck drove clear across town to buy Mrs Baird’s at Fiesta. They were closed. He waited because he had a coupon. He pays exact change from a little rubber football coin purse. 

I’m told

I hear he double parked and left his cart in the space next to him. He previously returned a cart successfully in the cart return but inexplicably decided to change it up.

In the spirit of new beginnings with the transition to Surly, I'm going to forgive Tim Beck for calling games in 2017 like an incompetent retard.  I'm going to forgive that he quit calling plays that worked and continued to call plays that had no chance of working.  I'm going to forgive that I had no idea what the dumb son of a bitch was thinking on that pass play against Tech.

I'm going to let him start all over with a clean slate.  But I'm not forgetting any of that dumb shit he did last year and his leash better be pretty fucking short. 

I expect the offense to be better this year, but in spite of Beck, not because of him.

Last year's OL was a shitshow and looking back at the big picture, not much could/should have been expected out of the entire offense. But if you watch game film with a magnifying glass you see the same old shit happening over and over: Failing to match play calls to the personnel on the field at the time. Failure to call plays to mitigate personnel weakness and/or take advantage of what few strengths we had. And as was mentioned above, calling the very same plays that were miserable failures in the series before. We were never going to be even average on offense, but with a decent playcaller we could have been a little bit better, and maybe that little better would have won us one more game. 

If we're improved this year it will be 100% attributable to better players, not better Beck coaching/playcalling.

On the bright side, hopefully Hand will have a bigger input than has been anticipated by the 9.95'ers and, who knows, maybe TH really does take over the playcalling. Time will tell.

Maybe Herman is hoping he can win 8-9 this year on talent for sake of continuity. Firing Beck would of shown weakness. Then after this year, Beck magically gets hired by a Sun Belt team as Head Coach. (And we pay half his salary to entice them kind of deal)

Thats my hope. 

Ricky Blaine and Neonmoon cover where I am at when looking for a hopeful spin on the situation. Beck won a lot of games at OSU, but the numbers show his offense wasn't as good as his predecessor and successor. OSU won because of the talent and experience as much as (or likely more than) anything Beck brought to the table. Herman isn't defending a national title, so not making the playoffs next year isn't on his or Beck's shoulders. I hope Herman will shoot for more than 8 wins and will pull the plug on Beck calling plays at the earliest opportunity, should Beck ever even call plays next season.

The offense will look better so long as injuries don't decimate the OL. But even with some bad luck, having more experienced guys and the fact that we have at least average talent across the board, especially at QB, should help keep the chains moving. Add to it that Beck may or may not actually call the plays, and there should be a bit more of a silver lining on the offensive side of the ball. Herman gets continuity (and I am hoping he is just waiting for the OC he really wants and that wasn't an option this offseason) and the chance to see if calling plays himself is possible. 

Or Herman could just be stubborn and Beck leads us to a sub .500 record at midseason before Herman steps in and he too struggles and we finish where we were or worse than last season and Herman earns himself a Strong scent of failure.

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Maybe Herman is hoping he can win 8-9 this year on talent for sake of continuity. Firing Beck would of shown weakness. Then after this year, Beck magically gets hired by a Sun Belt team as Head Coach. (And we pay half his salary to entice them kind of deal)

Thats my hope. 

We should pay his entire salary and make a donation to the school's athletic department if they'll take him

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Calling it now, the offense does much much much better with improved QB play and a real offensive line. Hand takes the team to another level. Beck does just fine at QB coach and co-offensive coordinator. The Beck haters will still cry and blame him for bad play calling, but the offense improves and Beck keeps his job.

Calling it now, the offense does much much much better with improved QB play and a real offensive line. Hand takes the team to another level. Beck does just fine at QB coach and co-offensive coordinator. The Beck haters will still cry and blame him for bad play calling, but the offense improves and Beck keeps his job.
you're no Sidney Carton.

59 minutes ago, Snacks said:
3 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

you're no Sidney Carton.

But Sidney's no Charles Darnay.

Edited by Katfid54

7b6a10c4779c865aa881e793620cfd1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to believe as he does!

braveheart_27_robert.jpg

GJbGIHF.jpg?fb

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:07 AM, Sidney Sherman said:

A win-win scenario would be that the offense looks so much better (not world beaters, but compared to last year) that Tim Beck is given credit as a miracle worker and some other program takes him off our hands.  College football is full of programs that falter under new coaching regimes for 2-3 years, then get traction and succeed.  The narrative in those cases is usually that the coaching staff finally got their guys and are lauded for the one year they are succeeding instead of asking what the hell was going on the first 3 years when you were .500.

It could happen...

4 minutes ago, Purgatory County said:

Just copy whatever Major calls at Houston. Play for play. Nobody will notice but me. And Major. And you.

We could synch our kickoff times and simulcast Major's headset mic.

2 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

A win-win scenario would be that the offense looks so much better (not world beaters, but compared to last year) that Tim Beck is given credit as a miracle worker and some other program takes him off our hands.  College football is full of programs that falter under new coaching regimes for 2-3 years, then get traction and succeed.  The narrative in those cases is usually that the coaching staff finally got their guys and are lauded for the one year they are succeeding instead of asking what the hell was going on the first 3 years when you were .500.

It could happen...

This is literally the scenario that "earned" Matt Canada like $2 million bucks last year.

• 3 months later...

This tread started in March and is still on Page 1 in August...surprising. The old Shag thread had 64 pages, with most people not pleased with Beck.  Can he grow as a play caller? Can the Offense compete in the upper levels of the Big12?  Are we doomed to another Shawn Watson type demotion?   We find out soon enough. 

It would be great if the OC/play calling wasn't a problem, but I have no confidence in Beck.  Fixing the play calling is more than  Herman just vetoing a play here are there.  Sadly, I think Beck remains a problem and this becomes the 'Fire Time Beck" thread.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, Tex Long said:

Was looking at the clip from 2Q of 2016 0U  game, from 0U 16 and trailing 20-0, the one where Heard motions right (short side/boundary) and sets, Ehlinger as far as I can see never even glances left where both slot and H-back are uncovered, and slot's defender starts edging into his blitz well before the snap. As play unfolds, both slot and H-back are wide open for six, but Ehlingher's looking at Heard the whole way and throws to him EZ sideline - even if he'd caught it, didn't look like he coulda gotten a foot down...

The play's not all that badly conceived - two receivers wide open, nothing wrong with that. 

Ehlinger not seeing it is kind of a freshman mistake, but... is it a matter of Beck not coaching him to be more aware (it is game six after all) or Beck insisting that he ONLY throws to Heard on that play? IE, is this on Beck for poor (or no) coaching, or is it on Ehlinger for not seeing it?

2016? Ehlinger??

Obviously '17, you dipshits. Typo, brain-fart, whatever... the point is, Ehlinger never looked left, and didn't see either the blitzer or the uncovered slot. The blitzer hit Sam just as he threw to Heard, one step closer and the ball likely would've been on the ground.

I don't know whether to blame the no-look on freshmanity or on Beck and MensaTom prepping Sam to run plays exactly as drawn and only to one side of the field... seems like there was talk earlier about simplifying Sam's execution by restricting passing plays to half the field.