Tim Beck Thread

OU Sucks

31 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Tim Beck on Herman being involved in the play calling during the Maryland game and how it all works:

“I thought it was great. We communicate things I see up there to him. Things that this might be good right here, or hey, what about this? So does he. He sees the same things. One thing that he has that I don’t is got the feel of them. He can look in their eyes and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to run it here because I can tell the o-line is ready. We’re going to mash them right here. Let's do this. I think it was a great adjustment. It was awesome. We kind of do that anyway. It’s always been that way. You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together. As I mentioned before, we game plan, we have a list – here’s third down, here’s what we’re going to call. That’s what we kind of go off of.”

how could this possibly go wrong?

so we have 5 play callers then?  we are more fucked than I thought

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Tim Beck on Herman being involved in the play calling during the Maryland game and how it all works:

“I thought it was great. We communicate things I see up there to him. Things that this might be good right here, or hey, what about this? So does he. He sees the same things. One thing that he has that I don’t is got the feel of them. He can look in their eyes and say, ‘Hey, we’re going to run it here because I can tell the o-line is ready. We’re going to mash them right here. Let's do this. I think it was a great adjustment. It was awesome. We kind of do that anyway. It’s always been that way. You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together. As I mentioned before, we game plan, we have a list – here’s third down, here’s what we’re going to call. That’s what we kind of go off of.”

That legit sounds like something I would say if I were a con man posing as an offensive coordinator.

Edited by CurlyDumps
Grammar
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I would almost feel bad for him if he were not getting paid $800K per year to be terrible at his job.  

Exactly. It’s so clear why we still have no identity on offenseand seem so disjointed. We have multiple guys trying multiple things just hoping something works. Wtf... the OC is supposed to be the unified voice directing the plays for the offense and finding the ways to make what they do best successful based on information from the position coaches. Not “hey let’s try power right now”.... fuck this shit

Edited by taybo20

Gentlemen, we can rebuild our playcalling system. We have the technology. The scheme I'm about to suggest will be that system. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster:

We need only one playcaller actually in DKR. We post, say, five or six options for each play on Surly and let our expert posters select in real time. The results will then be instantaneously communicated to the playcaller who in turn signals it in from the sideline. WIN. Technology and Surly, The Six Million Dollar System, coming to a stadium near you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

You get Drew (Mehringer) and Derek (Warehime). Herb (Hand) is going to say, ‘Run the power here.’ Okay, we’re going to run power. We’re kind of all in that together. As I mentioned before, we game plan, we have a list – here’s third down, here’s what we’re going to call. That’s what we kind of go off of.”

Drayton, the run-game coordinator, is notably missing from that list. It's a clusterfuck regardless and the results reflect it.  

Tim isn't the problem, Tom is the problem. 

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Drayton, the run-game coordinator, is notably missing from that list. It's a clusterfuck regardless and the results reflect it.  

Tim isn't the problem, Tom is the problem. 

yeah. If Tom knows this is happening then he should be fired. If Tom Herman doesn't know this is happening he should fired. Just unreal. 

And shows. We pussyfoot for hours and have no identity. The defenders all know there the ball is fucking going. We have no energy and no power. Again. YEAR FUCKING TWO HERMAN. I just wonder what is takes to have a good fucking head coach who isn't in above his fucking head. 

• Like 1

Ian Boyd: The Texas run game against Maryland

Presented in table form!

image.png

Some important notes:

-Inside zone just means the basic tight zone play, which is almost always run with the blocking movement stepping away from the TE side because they want it to cutback behind the double team.

-"TUG lead zone" means the Tackle pulled Under the Guard into that B-gap and so did the TE. Everyone else is blocking inside zone but the backside guard down blocks the DE while the tackle pulls and leads where the guard would along with the TE. Iowa State runs this version of inside zone a lot.

-Most of these plays included what the staff calls a "release" which means a pass option like a bubble screen (to the slot), now screen (outside receiver comes back), or a quick out or hitch. I didn't track the production on all of the release plays but Sam Ehlinger missed some that should have made for easy gains and the blocking on these wasn't great. This offense needs the execution on these to be better.

-"Iso zone" means that the line was blocking with inside zone rules but the TE led into the open A-gap or B-gap (based on the front) for the LB and they formed an iso concept with zone blocking rules. That's the name of the game at Oklahoma State these days and it's a popular concept in general.

-"Split zone" is the basic inside zone play but with the TE trapping across the formation to block the edge player rather than blocking the guy ahead of him.

"Inverted zone" means that the RB took the outside path that the QB would normally take on a zone-read keeper while the QB, if he pulls the ball, would run the inside track that the RB normally takes. On both occasions Ehlinger handed off to the RB on the outside sweep path.

-"Counter option" is the play in which it looks like the basic inside zone play but then Ehlinger reads the contain player and either pitches or cuts inside of him. Obviously this was an immensely productive play for Texas in this game.

-"Lead draw" is the standard, "OL will pass set, then the tackles will seal the DEs outside and the interior OL will combo to one LB while the RB leads into the other." Any play in which Ehlinger can make short cuts and get going downhill is generally a wildly effective one.

-"Power" is the standard play. Double team from the play side tackle and guard, TE kicks out the guy on the edge, the backside guard pulls around for the play side LB. Now, they attached screens to this but Ehlinger didn't always take them so sometimes the guard would pull and end up blocking the Sam/nickel and no one would block the play side LB. It still worked out okay but that may have been why they didn't call it more.

-The "sweep" play is the one Texas fans got to know in the Bryan Harsin era. The TE blocks the edge guy and if he can trap him inside, the two pullers (usually both guards) will pull around him, if the edge guy refuses to be hooked inside then they can adjust and lead inside of him. Beck didn't seal the guy inside on either play so the guards had to adjust and turn upfield inside of that block.

-They ran the "reverse" off outside zone blocking. Maryland wasn't fooled and evidently there was also an assignment error per the Tim Beck presser on Wednesday.

Overall the run game was pretty effective, especially after they started using tempo and power. Before that point, they'd run the ball 9 times for 19 yards at 2.1 ypc. Starting with the tempo drive they ran the ball 23 times for 138 yards at 6 ypc with two TDs. There was also considerably more variety even in just one game than we saw a year ago when you'd have to accumulate multiple games to arrive at this same level of variety. I'll try and track this throughout the year since the run game is going to be a major focus this year and then perhaps even increasingly so next year when Ehlinger, Keaontay Ingram, Sam Cosmi, Derek Kerstetter, and Cade Brewer are key building blocks.

Remember when Herman pointed out how important his staff members were and how they could control their facet of the game, so he could just oversee and manage other aspects?  What happened to that?  Beck can't call plays by himself so lose the dead weight and find someone who can do it by themselves.  This group-think playcalling is embarrassing.

Edited by OU Sucks

2 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Remember when Herman pointed out how important his staff members were and how they could control their facet of the game, so he could just oversee and manage other aspects?  What happened to that?  Beck can't call plays by himself so lose the dead weight and find someone who can do it by themselves.  This group-think playcalling is embarrassing.

Let’s call it the Bork Collective. We will add your coaching castoffs to our own. Scoring is futile. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Prove it.  Impossibles

Passer Rating (QB coach in parentheses):

J.T. Barrett

2014 (Tom Herman) 169.8

2015 (Tim Beck) 139.2

2016 (Tim Beck) 135.3

2017 (Ryan Day) 160.1

Taylor Martinez

2010 (Shawn Watson) 138.8

2011 (Tim Beck) 126.5

2012 (Tim Beck) 141.6

2013 (Tim Beck) 140.0

His greatest accomplishment as a QB coach was not developing Taylor Martinez AT ALL as a QB for three years.  He destroyed J.T. Barrett as a QB; watch film from his freshman year under Herman, and you see a drop back passer who was able to look safeties off, read progressions, and throw strikes downfield.  He finished 5th in the Heisman voting for heaven's sake, and he didn't do that by just pulling down the ball and running every play.  By the time Beck was done with him, he was a laughing stock who could not even take advantage of the fact that defenses respected his passing ability so little that they sold out against the run.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Tre was fine.  He averaged 4 yards a carry.  Its no Ingram but better than Young. 

We can't play Tre every snap. Young is also a good short-yardage back, as long as we don't make him try to run laterally to the short side of the field on fourth down. Now THAT was regarded.

51 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I guess Daniel Young has some dirt on dumbass Beck.  He keeps running him out there during actual football games.  8 carries for 10 yards.  

Did you watch the game? He was getting hit in the backfield every time he touched the ball. Whatever our run/pass tell is, TCU was keyed in on it when Young was on the field. When he isn't getting hit the moment he gets the ball, he's probably our hardest runner.

30 minutes ago, ousux said:

I can't think of a single non-life threatening illness that would keep him from traveling..

Guess it could be the flu or something like that, in which case they could have just said it and ended all speculation.

He could be in the third trimester of his pregnancy? Or perhaps he has the heebie jeebies or cooties.

• Like 1