Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Iowa State...

Emergency Podcast: Big 12 Missile Crisis 3.0 

Chris Williams and Jared Stansbury dive into what Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 could mean for Iowa State and the rest of the league, where college athletics go from here and much more on an emergency edition of the CF Podcast.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/podcasts/emergency-podcast-big-12-missile-crisis-3-0/

Edited by LTtxfan
Better Link

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting topic. 

• Gotta believe SMU and UH would love to join the B12
  • Iowa State a B10 candidate ??
  • Would B10 want Okie Lite ??
  • When is Notre Dame gonna join a conference ??

Scipio article that's paywalled...  Anybody got this??

https://insidetexas.com/left-behind-a-quick-dose-of-post-big-12-reality/

The B1G prides itself on academics and mostly having huge flagship state schools (Purdue very much plays school and MSU has just always been there). KU fits, ISU and OSU don't. 

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

WILLIAMS: What’s next for Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

Chris Williams, Jul 22 • 

Before we begin, on this early hour on the morning of Thursday, July 22, I am reminded of a classic line from the song “Here We Go Again” by the hip hop titan DMX (God rest his soul).

“Here we go again. Same old s**t dawg it’s a different day.”

Now that I have that out of my system, for better or worse, welcome to the new era of college football. It feels like this is the first moving part. That is my general observation after one of the craziest days I have ever seen in this profession. 

I feel like I just watched an intense episode of House of Cards, with Texas athletics director Chris Del Conte playing the role of Frank Underwood. 

I need to take a shower, or four.

I have been taking notes from every conversation I’ve had going back to 3 p.m. Wednesday when the news broke. 

Let’s dig in and forgive me if I am a bit all over the place. 

1 — Nobody in my Big 12 circles saw this coming. 

I spent last week in Dallas mingling with Big 12 reporters and decision-makers, and not a single person had this on their radar. If they did, they are damn good liars.

The same goes for Wednesday afternoon and evening. I spoke to numerous Iowa State and Big 12 sources who were all caught off guard. In fact, I broke the news to a handful of them on Wednesday afternoon. 

2 – I want to give my general observation of the happenings, and then I will dig in and focus mostly on the potential future for Iowa State athletics. 

Why would Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 now?

There is so much that goes into this, but in my opinion, it has more to do with the overall future of the sport than anything.

It feels like something larger is at play here – something the public is not aware of. Post NIL plans by the SEC – and whoever else – to seismically shift the college sports landscape as we know it. 

Otherwise, the move simply doesn’t make much sense. 

The realignment era from 2010 was about television eyeballs and money. 

After NIL, the one-time transfer era, and most importantly, the Supreme Court flipping the bird to the NCAA a few weeks ago, this seems much, much larger than any realignment story of the past. 

Simply put: Competitively, Oklahoma and Texas are much better off where they are. And since they are the only two schools in the Big 12 that don’t have to give their third-tier television property to ESPN-Plus, they are in a fantastic financial spot as well. 

Again, it just feels like this is a much bigger conversation than a few teams (albeit two of the biggest brands in the sport) making a move. 

3 — What happens to Iowa State if this all goes down?

The million-dollar question. This is really what you guys care about, so I want to spend most of my time weighing these potential options. 

Obviously, this is all speculation on my behalf.

Let’s start with the Big 12 staying together in some way, shape or form. 

What would that look like?

I’ll start by being optimistic. 

Perhaps this whole thing gets blown up somehow. We have been there and done that. This feels different, but nothing is impossible. 

What if they leave? In theory, the Big 12 could then poach programs like UCF and Cincinnati and become a league without Texas and Oklahoma. 

Financially, that would be a disaster.

4 — What about the Big Ten?

Of the remaining Big 12 schools, only two belong to the AAU (Association of American Universities): Iowa State and Kansas. 

I know … this is about football and money. However, the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC care a hell of a lot more about academics than the SEC does. So the AAU membership would undoubtedly be a big deal to the Pac-12 or Big Ten – should those be potential landing spots for Iowa State. So it is good to have that on your side. 

So let’s say that the SEC is getting ready to break away from the NCAA and will truly attempt to go off on its own to take over the college athletic universe. 

If that is the case, then the Big Ten will try to keep up in some way, shape or form. It has to, or how do you explain yourself as a league to Ohio State and Michigan?

I would argue that of the remaining Big 12 schools, Iowa State would be the most valuable to the Big 10 – both in terms of its fan base (third-largest football stadium in the current Big 12 behind Texas and Oklahoma), geography and the AAU status. 

Kansas has an elite basketball program but possesses the worst football program in all of Power Five. 

I really do feel like this would be an option, assuming the Big Ten needs to go bigger and wants to be THE Midwestern league in college athletics. 

5 — What about the Pac-12?

This is what pisses me off about this most recent news. 

There has been blood in the Pacific for quite some time with the Pac-12 Network hemorrhaging money and discontent within the league that Larry Scott tried to kill. 

Financially, the Big 12 is an easy No. 3 in front of the ACC and Pac-12. Yet here we are … 

The point is, while I think it’s a longer shot than the Big Ten, if the Pac-12 wants to make a move, Iowa State would be near the front of the line ahead of a handful of Big 12 foes. 

The geography makes no sense, but what if the rest of the Big 12 refugees head west to create some sort of a pod?

I don’t know. Nothing seems crazy these days though. 

6 — Iowa State is in a much, much better spot as an institution than it was the last go-around. 

This is the most important point I can make during these uncertain times.

Sure, it helps to have a top 10 football program heading into the 2021 season, but it has more about the changing landscape of media than anything. 

Rutgers would never get into the Big Ten in 2021.  

Back then, all these conferences cared about were “geographical footprints.”

Merit will actually matter this time around because media companies have pivoted strategies from cable to streaming. 

In 2010, Rutgers “delivered the New York market” for the Big Ten Network.

Now ask yourself this: Which fan base would deliver more streaming subscriptions in 2025 … Rutgers or Iowa State?

Iowa State fans are ravenous. Sold-out stadiums, a ridiculous following at bowl games and a growing enrollment really will matter this time around.

7 — Would Iowa try to block Iowa State from getting into the Big Ten?

I have zero insight on this, but Florida doesn’t want Florida State in the SEC. We’ve seen Texas A&M’s reaction to this SEC news with the burnt orange. 

It is something to consider. 

8 — Iowa governor Kim Reynolds is an Iowa State grad. 

I don’t think she can do anything about any of this, but that doesn’t hurt in a time where politicians are sure to get involved. They always do. 

9 — What does ESPN think about all of this?

I asked this question to every source I talked to on the matter and nobody can give me an answer. 

I run a media company – albeit a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH smaller one than Disney. The fact that I just compared Cyclone Fanatic to ESPN is laughable. 

BUT, I understand the economics here. 

You need inventory to sell ads.

If this new-aged, giant SEC cuts the Big 12 (and potentially others) off at the knees, there will be less “major” inventory for the worldwide leader. 

I really have no clue. 

It feels like these moves would make the sport very top-heavy – a sport that ESPN essentially owns. 

Maybe that would be better for ESPN? I’m just pondering. 

10 — If this all goes down, it’s going to be a weird four years. 

Because of the Big 12’s Grant of Rights, which goes through 2025, the only way Texas and Oklahoma can leave prior to then is if it surrenders its television revenue to the Big 12 up until that date. 

So if they are going to leave in four years, damn, that is a really long time to be in limbo. 

Do they think they have an out of some sort? Seems like a long shot.

11 — Texas A&M really, really, really, really, really hates Texas. 

Think about how they pulled this thing off … 

It’s SEC Media Day. The college football world is obsessed with the fact that Nick Saban’s quarterback may or may not be making $1 million before ever taking a snap at Alabama. 

A&M presumably leaks the news to a local beat writer, sends its AD to media day (which is rare), puts out stern quotes stating its opinion and is politicking to block the move. 

12 — And how do we know Texas and Oklahoma aren’t just trying to gain leverage to do something else?

Reports as of super late Wednesday night state that a goodbye letter will be sent to Bob Bowlsby next week. I’ve been around long enough to know that you never say never with this stuff. 

So stay tuned. 

We will be all over this story, good or bad. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, texifornia said:

The B1G prides itself on academics and mostly having huge flagship state schools (even MSU and Purdue have huge alumni networks). KU fits, ISU and OSU don't. 

This is kinda funny as it relates to football...  KANSAS

140106155819-mark-mangino-iowa-state-off

Okie Lite...

What OU, Texas Leaving Big 12 for SEC Would Mean for OSU

29452815937_13ba09112e_k-1024x683.jpg

July 21   By Kyle Boone

The hot rumor ’round town from the Houston Chronicle is that OU and Texas — the two teams who account for the most and second-most conference football championships in the history of the Big 12 — have reached out to the SEC about potentially joining the league and forming an SEC-super-conference.  Their departure from the Big 12 and inclusion in the SEC would send shockwaves across college football and would cause a significant power shift that greatly diminishes the Big 12 and its members.

But what would be the larger implications be for the league, for OSU and overall? Some thoughts below.

OSU could be a package deal

The thinking all along in the original conference realignment was that if OU were to go anywhere, OSU would be tied at the hip by law, according to the state legislature. That’s not in writing, however; instead, it’s an informal assumption made based largely on the politics involved: if OU were to bounce OSU tag along, too.

So OU, OSU and Texas to the SEC? That’s one possibility, sure. But it’d create a 17-team conference, and moreover, how motivated is the SEC to try and scoop OSU anyway? OU and Texas would be huge additions, no doubt, and maybe you take OSU knowing you might not get OU without them, but you’re putting a lot into that assumption.

Additionally, if you’re OU, why would you even let OSU serve as a speed bump out of town? I get the politics involved here — and I ultimately think this is a fairly large sticking point — but if you’re OU, I also get wanting to best position yourself in the market. Where is the most TV money? Where is the best exposure? What is best for the long-term health of the athletic programs?

That might be with the SEC. Maybe it involves OSU and maybe it doesn’t, but when you look at it from OU’s perspective, seeing that aspect of this as a sticking point doesn’t add up.

Ultimately, OSU trailing OU and joining the SEC together — if that’s what OU decides to do — would be the best move for OSU. If you’re OSU, I think you’d have to be holding your breath that’d happen. The Big 12 might survive losing its top two programs, but it’d no doubt struggle and staying around to see what that looks like would create a lot of uncertainty. And even if OSU is the last brand standing, it’s probably in a lessened conference that almost certainly wouldn’t wield the same power it once did.

Dominate the Big 12?

Should OU and Texas bolt on their own and leave everyone behind, OSU could stand pat and opt not to explore other conferences. That would leave the Big 12 with eight teams, though, so theoretically the Big 12 would add, too. Either way, staying and making the best of the situation would be interesting. Can you imagine how dominant OSU golf would be without OU and Texas? Ditto for softball? Heck, maybe even football!

In this scenario I could see the Big 12 adding teams. Maybe you go out and give Houston and SMU tickets to the big show. That gets you to 10 teams and into the big Texas markets. That probably devalues the Big 12 quite a bit. Maybe it’s worth staying at eight in this scenario and rolling with what you’ve got rather than accumulating some souped up version of the American Athletic Conference. Or, more likely, it’s worth exploring other options to see if you can get out of a league in turmoil.

Big Ten, Pac-12, you up?

Geographically, the Big Ten makes plenty of sense. It has a footprint in the midwest with Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and others. Oklahoma State would extend that map quite a bit but also wouldn’t be that big a stretch. Can you imagine playing in Ann Arbor, or Columbus? That would be big-time. It’d likely expand OSU’s recruiting footprint and its overall national profile, too.

While the Pac-12 doesn’t make geographic sense, it would at least be an option. This league was active in the last round of realignment. Maybe go join former conference mate Colorado and hope for the best.

The conference has been on a steady decline for years, but at least you could talk yourself into strength in numbers and an uptick under new leadership. It wouldn’t be on the same level as an SEC superconference ran by Greg Sankey, but with brands like UCLA, USC and Oregon it’d be a strong league in key sports that allows you to compete at the highest level.

TV contracts

OU and Texas signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement surrendering their first tier and second tier media rights for football and men’s basketball to the Big 12 through the summer of 2025, according to ESPN. So while a move could be possible for both schools, that aspect is a complicating factor in this situation, to say nothing of tier three rights.

The league’s TV contracts with ESPN and FOX also expire in 2025 (though the Longhorn Network’s deal doesn’t expire with ESPN until 2031).

That means the Big 12 — even if OSU, OU and Texas were to jump to the SEC — would still own those schools’ media rights in those sports. Now, maybe you can renegotiate this stuff, but if you’re the Big 12, that’s significant leverage that hangs over Big 12 teams in all this and may be an insurmountable obstacle.

I don't think it'll happen. The move has to be approved by the Oklahoma legislature who seems to have a rule where OU and Okie Lite have to be in the same conference. If the SEC takes OU, they have to take the pokes as well. The legislature would rather see both teams wither on the vine than to see OU flourish while leaving OSU to rot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I don't think it'll happen. The move has to be approved by the Oklahoma legislature who seems to have a rule where OU and Okie Lite have to be in the same conference. If the SEC takes OU, they have to take the pokes as well. The legislature would rather see both teams wither on the vine than to see OU flourish while leaving OSU to rot. 

IOWA STATE FOOTBALL

Early Thoughts on the Realignment Rumors...

It’s Groundhog Day again...or is it?

By Levi Stevenson@LeviRStev  Jul 22, 2021, 9:02am CDT

image.png.4389fc37de3616ef42b741474a244013.png

Like apparently everyone outside of the inner circles at the Universities of Texas and Oklahoma, I was caught off guard on Wednesday by the news that Texas and Oklahoma are not just flirting with the SEC (like they’ve done for years), but outright getting ready to pack up and say their goodbyes. Rumors of the Big 12 imploding have been around almost non-stop since the last wave of realignment around 2010, but they never particularly real, and obviously never amounted to anything.

But the shear number of sources seeming to confirm that there’s some movement happening in the tectonic plates of the conference and college football as a whole leads me to believe that this is really happening.

There is so much information we just don’t know right now, even if the apparent intentions by Oklahoma and Texas to move to the SEC seem fairly obvious on the surface. It looks like a move to prepare for the new future of college football that’s currently in the early stages of taking shape in the post-NIL era.

Competitively, the makes little sense for Oklahoma and essentially zero for Texas given the impending changes to the College Football Playoff. Given recent success, Oklahoma seems like a virtual guarantee to make the Playoff every year as either the champion or the runner up, and Texas would certainly be one of the teams in contention for that second spot most seasons. In the SEC, those teams are probably playing somewhere between 3rd and 6th (?) fiddle behind Alabama and LSU for sure, then probably Georgia and Florida in certain years.

After a decade of being the big fish in a small pond, are OU and (especially) Texas going to be happy essentially being a sideshow in their own conference

Of course, the move to the SEC comes with a vote, and OU and Texas would need 11 of 14 members to vote yes for inclusion. Texas A&M is a guaranteed no for obvious reasons, and Mizzou is probably in the same boat. Neither is likely interested in sharing a conference with Texas after bolting from the Big 12 for that exact reason in the first place.

So if two more members would need to vote no, where would those votes come from? I suppose Arkansas could vote no given their dormant, but fervent rivalry with Texas, but that’s probably unlikely. Beyond that, it’s difficult to find a third “no” vote, and virtually impossible to find a fourth. In short, if it makes it to a vote, this thing is happening.

So what does that mean for Iowa State?

It’s worth noting here that I don’t personally have any sources on the inside, so this is simply my perspective of the situation. In my mind, here are the handful of basic scenarios that seem to be obvious at the moment.

Rebuild the Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma

Obviously, the Big 12 could try to rally and add teams to replace the two departed giants. However, even in a scenario where the Big 12 goes for broke and adds four teams to get back to twelve and try to add some stability, let’s Arizona State, Arizona, Cincinnati, and SMU just for fun, this is still likely a financial disaster for the remaining Big 12 schools. The combination of those four teams don’t provide the value that even Texas does by itself.

The expanded playoff means the new Big 12 would likely still have a shot at putting a champion in the playoff, but a second team is basically impossible. The schools would take significant pay cuts in the next media deal. I really don’t think many, if any schools would fight with this. I suppose Kansas State might, given that they would have no obvious landing spot in the Power Five, but they would be in the minority.

The Big Ten

This is far and away the best option for Iowa State. Like, not even close. There’s a million reasons this makes sense from a qualitative perspective. Geography, natural rivals, a passionate fanbase, the third-largest stadium in the Big 12, a basketball program with history and a home court, academic credentials as an AAU member and high-level research institution, and a football program that’s gaining a lot of national attention.

The $50 million question is obviously whether the Big 12 would want Iowa State. Iowa State is probably the most attractive option from the Big 12 should the Big Ten decide they want to get to 16 teams to match the SEC, which may be a necessity if they want to keep Ohio State and Michigan happy.

If I’m Jamie Pollard and want to make a serious play at getting into the Big Ten, and immediately hopping on the phone with Kansas AD Gene Taylor and working with them to sell Iowa State and Kansas as a package deal to the Big Ten.

Yes, Kansas football is an embarrassment, but that basketball program is worth more than some Power Five football programs, and would immediately be the flagship program in a conference with a bunch of good basketball schools.

Beyond just finding a stable home, Iowa State stands to gain a lot from this move. The obvious is the big pay day from an increased TV contract. Based on current contracts (which honestly might be a useless historical metric in this case), that’s an extra $8-$10 million dollars per year in Iowa State’s pocket, a massive boost to a growing athletic department that’s trying to punch through a glass ceiling amid a COVID-related budget crisis.

CyHawk obviously instantly becomes more meaningful, and becomes a significantly more valuable property for both schools and the Big Ten. It also opens up a slot for a new non-conference opponent for each school, which gives them freedom to look for interesting matchups to boost resumes or get eyeballs on the program.

Could Iowa decide to be petty and try to keep Iowa State out? It might make sense if they think the best way to curb the rise of Iowa State football and maintain a stranglehold on in-state recruiting is to kneecap it by sending it to a less-desirable conference and use that as ammo on the recruiting trail.

However, in my subjective qualitative analysis, the University of Iowa stands to see a net gain by adding Iowa State, and would likely have a difficult time keeping them out if they’re the only “no” vote.

Do I know if Iowa State to the Big Ten is likely or even possible? Not officially. However, I do know that 2021 Iowa State is orders of magnitude more valuable and attractive than 2010 Iowa State was, and 2025 Iowa State looks like it will be more valuable than even 2021 Iowa State.

I could go on and on about all the reasons I would love this move, but we’ll do that at a later time when we get more info.

The Pac-12

This idea is quite a bit less appealing, as the Pac-12 has been floundering for quite awhile and the stability of that conference has been in question for some time as it is. The primary benefit of this move would be retaining the most familiar opponents and road trips, as at least Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and TCU would probably be able to find homes out west. Iowa State would probably be extended an offer by the Pac-12 if the Big Ten said no and the Pac-12 was looking to expand, and Iowa State would accept the offer if it was the only Power Five option, but it’s still not a a great option.

The ACC

The ACC is probably a better option than the Pac-12 for Iowa State, but I think it would be a less likely invite to receive. The ACC is still working on trying to get Notre Dame into the conference as a full member, and WVU makes a ton of sense for them as well. Notre Dame joining the ACC in football is far from a guarantee, and maybe even a longshot, but that’s still a factor.

Beyond those issues, Iowa State has history with essentially none of them outside of the infamous Iowa State-Florida State game in Arrowhead, and Iowa State’s matchups with Virginia and North Carolina in basketball in the NCAA Tournament.

I would personally be in favor of a move to the ACC over the Pac-12, but an invite to the ACC feels less likely at this point (based on absolutely nothing besides my own personal observations).

Drop Out of the Power Five

This is far and away the worst option. A drop to something like the American or Mountain West conferences would be absolutely catastrophic to the Iowa State athletic department. Not only would it mean a massive financial pay cut, but the headway Iowa State football has made over the past five years may all be for nothing.

I really don’t even want to discuss this scenario any further unless it starts becoming more of likely possibility down the road. Until then, I’m going to choose this option doesn’t exist for my own mental and emotional well-being.

Fortunately, Iowa State may potentially be in a position to have options should this all come to fruition. As mentioned before, Iowa State has a lot to offer at this point, especially given that TV markets and expanding geographic footprint, will be a much smaller factor this time around. Having Jamie Pollard at the helm gives Iowa State the best possible shot at coming out of this in a decent position.

As if this upcoming football season couldn’t have any more pressure involved, Iowa State living up to the hype and establishing itself as a long term force to be reckoned could prove to be a huge bargaining chip when they look to find a new home.

All this said, we won’t have any answers today, next week, or even this month. Maybe not even this year. Until we get those answers, the best advice I can give is to point your focus to the 2021 football season and the absolutely incredible things they have a chance to do.

What will be, will be... 

https://www.widerightnattylite.com/2021/7/22/22588483/early-thoughts-on-the-realignment-rumors

Edited by LTtxfan

Lots of moving parts to consider in all of this.

The first set of questions are tied to who becomes reactionary in all of this and who waits to see what happens.

If the B10 waits to see what happens then you might see some sort of zombie B12 that would see some AAC teams added to meet their contract obligations short term. That will restart the shifts (hopefully for a more regionally aligned concept) at the lower level leagues.

If the other major players decide to grab schools now to match the SEC, then things will reach Armageddon levels at the B12 HQ because if enough members get poached then there is not enough members left to collect on the exit fees and the B12 disbands…

5 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Us and ou should go to the Pac 12. We would easily dominate that conference! 

9:00pm CT or later kickoffs are worthless -- no one cares about West Coast football anymore.

Hard "NO FUCKIN' WAY" to pac 12

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Then let's bring Tech with us and REALLY piss off the Aggies.

• Haha 1

This keeps being brought up without any citation. It's like it started as an assumption and grew into something that so many people think is true for some weird reason. I get the sense that it started with the SWC breakup and interference from the state leg, but I don't think they could pass a constitutional law that requires schools to do something or not with their athletics programs. I get the sense instead that Texas just had a lot of powerful people who made it difficult. The state leg here is loaded with ou fucks, they won't do anything to help us. Maybe a few phone calls "please, pretty please, help out little brother, lol." Everyone had a good laugh, and we end up reviving our rivalry with Tulsa. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This keeps being brought up without any citation. It's like it started as an assumption and grew into something that so many people think is true for some weird reason. I get the sense that it started with the SWC breakup and interference from the state leg, but I don't think they could pass a constitutional law that requires schools to do something or not with their athletics programs. I get the sense instead that Texas just had a lot of powerful people who made it difficult. The state leg here is loaded with ou fucks, they won't do anything to help us. Maybe a few phone calls "please, pretty please, help out little brother, lol." Everyone had a good laugh, and we end up reviving our rivalry with Tulsa. 

From what I saw on Twitter, the one thing that kept them tied together during the last round of realignment was David Boren.

He is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

From what I saw on Twitter, the one thing that kept them tied together during the last round of realignment was David Boren.

He is gone.

I think it's a little oversimplified, but yes, as a former governor and senator, he did have genuine interest in keeping OSU relevant and as a regular rival. We have buildings on campus named after him based on his political career. I think our ADs get along too. The state leg and governor would surely want them to stay together. But if Texas wants to leave, OU really has no choice. Despite my sarcastic comment above, I think there will be some serious phone calls to keep us together, but the only real possibility is if Mizzou finally gets its Big 10 invite opening a spot for us to tag along. I just don't see it happening. I think it's PAC or seeing what an 8 team Big 12 can do with what's left. With a 12 team playoff, maybe it's viable. SEC gets half the spots, and any Big 12 team that excels gets a shot too. I just hope that conference schedules in mega conferences still allow for Big 12 teams to load up non-con schedules with the better P-5 programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jeff Leach bio:  Born and raised in Plano, Representative Leach graduated from Plano Senior High before attending Baylor University. He earned his law degree from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law, and currently practices at the law firm of Gray Reed & McGraw LLP in Dallas. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The B1G prides itself on academics and mostly having huge flagship state schools (Purdue very much plays school and MSU has just always been there). KU fits, ISU and OSU don't. 

ISU has been an AAU member since the 50s. That's very much playing school.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Us and ou should go to the Pac 12. We would easily dominate that conference! 

Nah. The only way to make more money is the SEC. It was only ever going to be either Big 12 or SEC.

Believe me I hate this as much as you do.

Kansas football: Where would the Jayhawks land without the Big 12?

by Conner Becker12 minutes ago 

Reports of Big 12 neighbors Oklahoma and Texas inquiring about a potential move to the SEC have surfaced, and it could create an interesting future for Kansas football.

It appears the SEC could be announcing the addition of the two schools “within a couple of weeks”, according to the Houston Chronicle. Both Oklahoma and Texas are reportedly set to decline on an extension of their existing Big 12 media rights, which expire in 2025.

A transition away from the current 10-team conference would put its remaining members: Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU, and West Virginia in a very awkward position.

The idea of Big 12 expansion has coasted for years now and it seems the clock may be coming down to the final seconds for the conference’s two superpower schools. Regardless, it places many programs, like Kansas, at a disadvantage for success.

Kansas head coach Lance Leipold hasn’t even kicked off his first season with the Jayhawks yet, and news like this doesn’t leave room for much optimism.

While the headlines look promising, it’s important to remember things can change fast. A few SEC members, specifically former Big 12 member Texas A&M, wouldn’t appreciate adding another Texas-based member to the conference.  Furthermore, Aggies athletic director Ross Bjork has spoken out against the idea of welcoming the Sooners and Longhorns to the SEC.

Despite the negative reaction from their old friends at College Station, there’s no doubt adding Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC would create a super-conference. That’s all fine and dandy, but where do schools like Kansas go?

Hoops beat out the gridiron

It’s no mistake that Kansas is known for its basketball history, and any conference change would strongly depend on the Jayhawks’ position to compete on the hardwood.

However, there’s still a football program to think about at the end of the day. The Jayhawks have been one of the worst college football teams in recent Power Five history, winning only 18 conference games in the last decade.

Making a sudden change would prove difficult for this program, as Kansas will be transitioning into a new conference with a new head coach. However, it could be worse.

The Jayhawks have new, proven leadership from Lance Leipold. If he only coaches one or two years in the Big 12, so be it. He’ll need to pick things up and move to the next frontier because that’s the only way any progress is getting made.

As for who will tag along with KU, it’s tough to tell at this given point. The good news is, they won’t be in this boat alone.

Orphaned schools

In the event Oklahoma and Texas take off, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby is going to have a major problem on his hands.

Naturally, schools are going to be filling out their applications to jump ship and it’ll only be a matter of time before the whole thing blows up. Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State are three schools that may end up following each other out of the tunnel.

Despite currently undergoing another rebuild, the Jayhawks would be in a position for a fresh start.

The circumstances aren’t great, however, it would place Kansas in a position to find a new avenue to start winning again. Whether or not Leipold can handle such a sudden change remains up for debate.

However, landing all three of these in a conference such as the Big Ten or ACC would be quite a stretch. Considering the current state of each schools’ athletic program, the American Athletic Conference would be a more reasonable landing spot for all three.

Kansas would join their southern neighbors Wichita State (in basketball), along with new friends Houston, Central Florida, and Cincinnati. This is all speculative, but the growth of the AAC has been impressive over the past few years and shouldn’t be ignored.

This is all speculative thinking, as worrying as the news is. Oklahoma and Texas could be gone for good fairly soon and would usher in a brand new era for Kansas. Expect these reports to be recognized by the Big 12 at some point, as the wheels appear to be turning quickly now.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

9:00pm CT or later kickoffs are worthless -- no one cares about West Coast football anymore.

Hard "NO FUCKIN' WAY" to pac 12

Hell even when the PAC 12 had some of the top teams in the country nobody was watching those 10PM EST games except for hardcore football nerds.

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

This is literally not true at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is literally not true at all. 

Yeah it is wishful thinking. This deal is all but done. RIP Big 12.

I am obviously in the minority of enjoying the conference itself, even if our shitty football hires made the actual results pretty shitty for UT. So I guess I am glad the rest of you are happy.

33 minutes ago, n64ra said:

ISU has been an AAU member since the 50s. That's very much playing school.

This.

Until 2011, every member of the Big10 was in the AAU.  Today, Nebraska is the only Big10 member NOT in the AAU, as they were voted out in 2011.  They would have have been admitted to the Big10 w/o the academic credentials.

ISU and Kansas meet that requirement and could be the additions to get the Big10 to 16.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Paywall Scipio Tex...  Somebody help us out  🤘

image.png.8d646b19aa349e51a495a6257cbc763d.png Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

Scipio Tex    Jul 21, 2021 at 7:39 PM

What would happen to the remaining members of the league if Texas and OU consummated with the SEC

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Meh, we're all going through the stages. Looking for silver linings right now. I think OU might finally come down to earth when Texas kids have options across the entire SEC and OU has struggled when playing SEC in the playoffs. Either way, fuck them, always and forever.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1