Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

18 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

KHOU here in Houston is touting UH to the Big XII if Texas and OU leave. 

Tillman, as usual, is eating the crumbs that others leave behind.

Without Texas and OU this strikes me as a lateral move. The rump Big XII would just be a G6 conference unfortunately.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

secsecsec laughcry.gif - us, OU

Acc - WVU

Big 10, Kansas, Iowa state

Pac - okie lite, tech

Get fucked - Baylor, tcu

Somewhere - k state

PAC has room to take 4...the real question is if they'd bother with someone like K-State and...I dunno...Boise?

Baylor and TCU are just hosed.  

5 minutes ago, dark54555 said:

PAC has room to take 4...the real question is if they'd bother with someone like K-State and...I dunno...Boise?

Baylor and TCU are just hosed.  

Tech, Ok State, Boise and 1 of Fresno State/San Jose State/Nevada/UNLV? 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Tech, Ok State, Boise and 1 of Fresno State/San Jose State/Nevada/UNLV? 

Tech, OSU, Kansas, and ISU if they can’t make the BIG or ACC. I like TCU too, which I understand is religious in mostly name only like SMU. They might want more than just the Texas panhandle.

15 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The PAC 12 would be smart to grab Texas Tech. They really wanted Kansas last time as well for some reason, I guess Basketball.

That's exactly why.  The conference has put a bit of an emphasis on hoops for some reason.

If Texas and ou leave there is no reason anyone should stay in the Big 12.  It is currently a bad conference and with the two lead dogs gone it becomes even worse.  Bringing in UH and SMU to fill the void of Texas and ou is fucking laughable.  If Big 12 athlete directors have not been on the phone trying to cut deals with Big 10 or the PAC 12 to get out since yesterday they are toast.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

If Texas and ou leave there is no reason anyone should stay in the Big 12.  It is currently a bad conference and with the two lead dogs gone it becomes even worse.  Bringing in UH and SMU to fill the void of Texas and ou is fucking laughable.  If Big 12 athlete directors have not been on the phone trying to cut deals with Big 10 or the PAC 12 to get out since yesterday they are toast.

It was not a bad conference at all.

But otherwise yeah. Time for everybody to find a landing spot.

Y'all are missing the point, which is that aTm doesn't want to be in a league with UT. And they could jump to another conference (I'm sure they were smart enough to have a clause in their contract to get into the SEC that allows them to leave if UT goes SEC, well I'm really not that sure at all), I'm thinking that Aggy goes west, or ACC

Maybe B1G to be the only school from Texas, though not to many Texas recruits would be interested if they knew about winter.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DanRydell said:

California law bars Cal and UCLA from traveling to Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas so that would seem to make the Pac 12 impossible unless the Big 12 orphans are willing to always travel to LA and Berkeley.

Quite solvable https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/story/2020-07-04/san-diego-state-sdsu-aztecs-idaho-california-travel-ban-ab-1887-transgender-law-discrimination

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Without Texas and OU this strikes me as a lateral move. The rump Big XII would just be a G6 conference unfortunately.

Exactly.   I honestly think it dissolves rather than becoming an afterthought conference.

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I cannot imagine why we would want to leave these good sportsman behind. And their cheating ass refs.

If you think going to the SEC is going to lead to association with great sportsmen who never cheat I think you may have the wrong idea. If Oklahoma State is just too ferocious and competitive and underhanded for us maybe we should try Division III.

• Haha 1

If you think going to the SEC is going to lead to association with great sportsmen who never cheat I think you may have the wrong idea. If Oklahoma State is just too ferocious and competitive and underhanded for us maybe we should try Division III.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Meh, we're all going through the stages. Looking for silver linings right now. I think OU might finally come down to earth when Texas kids have options across the entire SEC and OU has struggled when playing SEC in the playoffs. Either way, fuck them, always and forever.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Hook 'Em 3

This probably will shake out to "professional" conferences and "amateur" conferences - not literally but a few with large alumni bases with big NIL salaries and those that keep them small or avoid it all together. It will be interesting to see how this ultimately lands with faculty and administrators. I am sure having your students making exponentially more than the professors will not sit well with many. I could envisions where schools like Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Stanford, etc., might take a step back in athletics vs. spending more money on football players.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Tech, OSU, Kansas, and ISU if they can’t make the BIG or ACC. I like TCU too, which I understand is religious in mostly name only like SMU. They might want more than just the Texas panhandle.

TCU is a tiny school with no fanbase.  They are not an attractive get for any conference.  

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Y'all are missing the point, which is that aTm doesn't want to be in a league with UT. And they could jump to another conference (I'm sure they were smart enough to have a clause in their contract to get into the SEC that allows them to leave if UT goes SEC, well I'm really not that sure at all), I'm thinking that Aggy goes west, or ACC

Maybe B1G to be the only school from Texas, though not to many Texas recruits would be interested if they knew about winter.

Holy shit that would be amazing. I would OD 1000x times on the aggy tears. They would be forced to abandon their entire identity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Tech and OSU definitely have some marketability to the PAC.

KU has some marketability to both the B1G and the PAC based on basketball.

KSU has been a football player before, MAYBE they are attractive to someone.

WVU might make sense as a fit in the B1G, but man....it's WV, there's like 3 TVs in the state.

Baylor and TCU, not terribly attractive to anyone.

ISU....man, I like 'em.  I really do.  Maybe they make some sense in the B1G, but they don't bring a whole lot to the table.

An alternate path is to bulk up the Big XII like a mofo with numbers, if not quality.  Bring in UH, SMU, shit, I dunno, maybe steal some schools from the AAC?  Maybe MERGE with the AAC as a superconference?

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Jeff Leach bio:  Born and raised in Plano, Representative Leach graduated from Plano Senior High before attending Baylor University. He earned his law degree from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law, and currently practices at the law firm of Gray Reed & McGraw LLP in Dallas. 

Jeff Leach can work on sucking his own dick, amirite?!?!?!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

KU has some marketability to both the B1G and the PAC based on basketball.

WVU might make sense as a fit in the B1G, but man....it's WV, there's like 3 TVs in the state.

ISU....man, I like 'em.  I really do.  Maybe they make some sense in the B1G, but they don't bring a whole lot to the table.

Thanks, but no fucking thanks - don't need more red neck hicks (WVU), shitty football teams (KU - and MSU already plays them most years in hoops), and ISU wtf B1G already has one team from Iowa, nobody needs 2 teams from there.

news update - B1G could offer up to $2 million, and access to the largest system of freshwater lakes in the world.

Reminder for anyone who is sad about leaving:

Never watching this shit again, but I still rage about the holding call on Poona Ford..on a running play..and Poona was the one being held. Then the fucktard ref chest bumping Charlie so he could tack on another penalty...fuck that, fuck all of it.
  • Rage+1 3

aggy isnt going anywhere unless the SEC boots them, any other scenario is pure fantasy.

7 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I don't think it'll happen. The move has to be approved by the Oklahoma legislature who seems to have a rule where OU and Okie Lite have to be in the same conference. If the SEC takes OU, they have to take the pokes as well. The legislature would rather see both teams wither on the vine than to see OU flourish while leaving OSU to rot. 

What rule is this? Is there something in writing?  The same thing was said years ago about Texas leaving and aggy following.  Well we all know how that turned out even though they are in different states. 

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What rule is this? Is there something in writing?  The same thing was said years ago about Texas leaving and aggy following.  Well we all know how that turned out even though they are in different states. 

No. It's something that's been repeated on message boards like a million times but is not based in any reality. There is no mechanism that the Oklahoma legislature could use (even if they wanted to) to somehow stop OU from changing athletic conferences without OSU. If the OU Board of Regents says its OK then it's happening.

I personally hate this because I like the Big 12. I like playing OU and Texas.  But obviously dat cash money is what matters, not years of history and historical in-state rivalries. That ship set sail when the original Big 12 was formed and then with the last round of realignment bullshit. Oh well.

As it were, I think OSU will be fine. We'll land in one of the eventual four "super conferences"... I imagine the PAC makes the most sense, likely along with Tech, KU and KSU.  That makes the most sense geographically and culturally... you would have the "Pacific" portion with the traditional PAC schools and then a Central/Mountain group with the four leftovers from the Big 12 plus Colorado and Utah.

As others have pointed out, the best part of this is Baylor getting left twisting in the wind. #FatwaForever

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

LOL.

I can almost guarantee you Oklahoma State won't do something like that. That's never been our style.

I could see Baylor and TCU doing something like that because they know they are fucked when the Big 12 ends.  OSU and Tech will very likely end up in one of four 16 super conferences.

3 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Oh ok let me just go down to the conference store and buy all those new conferences.

Edited by SimonBolivar