Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

49 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Heard a rumor that is supposedly credible that some Big 10 officials were in Stillwater this weekend. I have no doubt we are shooting our shot with them despite having almost no chance, but you gotta try. The best part if something like that were to happen is that it was David Boren's dream for OU to make the Big 10 for both academic and athletic prestige. Again, I know its like .00000001%, but a boy can dream.

You guys are in direct violation of Big 12 bylaw Section 3.2 you fucking assholes!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

You guys are in direct violation of Big 12 bylaw Section 3.2 you fucking assholes!

Hey man... we didn't invite them... they just *happened* to be touring land-grant universities in the Central Plains this week.  :D

FWIW, my inside guy also told me this was happening.  I guess the idea is that when they see our fancy-ass facilities, they'll forget we aren't an AAU school...?

1. Show fancy facilities
  2. Eat cheese fries at Joe's
  3. ????
  4. Get B1G invite / profit

And yeah - super long shot, but it would be a big fuck you to OU* if we somehow made it into the B1G, so I'm in support of the move. :)

* They have been pining for the B1G for years, no matter what they say out loud now.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Hey man... we didn't invite them... they just *happened* to be touring land-grant universities in the Central Plains this week.  :D

FWIW, my inside guy also told me this was happening.  I guess the idea is that when they see our fancy-ass facilities, they'll forget we aren't an AAU school...?

1. Show fancy facilities
  3. ????

And yeah - super long shot, but it would be a big fuck you to OU* if we somehow made it into the B1G, so I'm in support of the move. :)

* They have been pining for the B1G for years, no matter what they say out loud now.

Nebraska's not AAU either and they haven't kicked out the Huskers.  Don't think that's going to make much difference now, going forward.

11 minutes ago, Welshy said:

I have no idea how any of you have tolerated this buffoonery for more than 60 seconds. Current moron is saying Texas schools should not play out of state schools.

Jesus what a bunch of regards. 

You can see how all these fucktard schools negative recruit Texas, though. They act like we owe them something. Coattail riding whores.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

Nebraska was an AAU school when they joined the Big Ten, if I'm remembering correctly.

Yes, briefly.  Before some of their new B1G besties voted them out.  It's notable that Texas actually voted in favor of letting them remain...

Can someone help me here?  Some guy named Cujo who claims to be a Texas Insider has posted on the Orangeblood paid forum that KU is getting an invitation to the Big 10.  It has whipped some of the Phog.net posters into a frenzy.  I continue to state that while I would love for KU to get a Big 10 invite, I don’t see how they add enough value to get an invitation.  I get trashed and called. K-State fan when I post this !

Anyone know if Cujo has credibility.  Is this an elaborate ploy to get desperate KU fans to pay for an Orangebloods subscription? 

16 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

Can someone help me here?  Some guy named Cujo who claims to be a Texas Insider has posted on the Orangeblood paid forum that KU is getting an invitation to the Big 10.  It has whipped some of the Phog.net posters into a frenzy.  I continue to state that while I would love for KU to get a Big 10 invite, I don’t see how they add enough value to get an invitation.  I get trashed and called. K-State fan when I post this !

Anyone know if Cujo has credibility.  Is this an elaborate ploy to get desperate KU fans to pay for an Orangebloods subscription? 

No idea who Cujo is but Kansas has value.  They are AAU and have the KC market.  The Big Ten doesn’t have any basketball bluebloods (Indiana might have been considered one in the past) and that been a big weakness for their network as basketball could really help drive viewers.  Kansas made more money off of PPV over any previous Big 12 school and their basketball historically has the ability to bring lot of eyeballs so much so that ESPN gave them almost double the money than any other remaining Big 12 school for their third party rights.

2 hours ago, Houtexjhawk said:

I personally don’t find him credible, but he seems to have a following. Logic would say the chances of this guy knowing when no other leaks, corroborated reports or rumors are out there make it dubious. 

if helpful this was his last post:

Spoiler

actually your points are very valid. Looks like big 10 is being desperate. The likes to expand to the west coast have fallen through and are looking for some immediate help is what I was told. Geographically speaking Kansas may be the best option available right now.

by the way..my info is from Kansas side of things..they are fully expecting this to move fast as well

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, 'stache said:

Probably, there was a big watch party for Cade Cunningham's NBA draft. We probably showed them the pig farm too that we relocated after an ESPN article noted that you could smell pig shit driving into town for a big basketball matchup against KU in the early 2000s.

That's really funny, I didn't know that had been moved.  That was always the joke.  "How do you get from Norman to Stillwater?  Drive north until you smell it, then east until you step in it."

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

No idea who Cujo is but Kansas has value.  They are AAU and have the KC market.  The Big Ten doesn’t have any basketball bluebloods (Indiana might have been considered one in the past) and that been a big weakness for their network as basketball could really help drive viewers.  Kansas made more money off of PPV over any previous Big 12 school and their basketball historically has the ability to bring lot of eyeballs so much so that ESPN gave them almost double the money than any other remaining Big 12 school for their third party rights.

Agreed that KU has value, but man their football is just SOOOO dismal. From an economic standpoint, it's going to really be tough to justify increasing a broadcast deal based on bringing KU on board when it's 90% weighted toward football viewers.  KU's football ratings, as you would expect, are horri-bad. They draw fewer viewers than Baylor, and that's saying something.

45 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agreed that KU has value, but man their football is just SOOOO dismal. From an economic standpoint, it's going to really be tough to justify increasing a broadcast deal based on bringing KU on board when it's 90% weighted toward football viewers.  KU's football ratings, as you would expect, are horri-bad. They draw fewer viewers than Baylor, and that's saying something.

It’s hard for me to see how adding KU brings in enough additional revenue to justify an invitation to the Big 10. The Big 10 is paying out almost $60M per school and that is only going to go up.  Is adding KU worth another $70-80M a year to a media contract?  I may be missing something.  While you might get a few more viewers for KU-Purdue in on a Feb weeknight that Iowa vs Nebraska, it’s only in the “tens of thousands”.  

Posted this on the other thread, got lost in the Texas state leg stuff. Says all the right things. I really hope he has some inside knowledge that gives him this kind of cool and comfort with the whole situation, but I doubt it, probably just Gundy being Gundy.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Houtexjhawk said:

It’s hard for me to see how adding KU brings in enough additional revenue to justify an invitation to the Big 10. The Big 10 is paying out almost $60M per school and that is only going to go up.  Is adding KU worth another $70-80M a year to a media contract?  I may be missing something.  While you might get a few more viewers for KU-Purdue in on a Feb weeknight that Iowa vs Nebraska, it’s only in the “tens of thousands”.  

Yeah agreed. It doesn't make much sense to add KU by themselves. I think it makes sense if you're adding maybe 2-4 teams with the goal of "keeping up" with the SEC.  You add like 1-3 strong football brands and then throw in KU as an elite basketball brand that also has a good cultural fit with the rest of the B1G (AAU, etc.).

19 hours ago, 'stache said:

Heard a rumor that is supposedly credible that some Big 10 officials were in Stillwater this weekend. I have no doubt we are shooting our shot with them despite having almost no chance, but you gotta try. The best part if something like that were to happen is that it was David Boren's dream for OU to make the Big 10 for both academic and athletic prestige. Again, I know its like .00000001%, but a boy can dream.

Maybe they are looking at your wrestling team.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Posted this on the other thread, got lost in the Texas state leg stuff. Says all the right things. I really hope he has some inside knowledge that gives him this kind of cool and comfort with the whole situation, but I doubt it, probably just Gundy being Gundy.

LOL yeah this just seems like Gundy being Gundy.  Don't think he knows any more than we do, which is to say he knows the on-field success and he knows the broadcast numbers, so that has to give him some level of confidence that OSU will land somewhere desirable when all of this stuff shakes out.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL yeah this just seems like Gundy being Gundy.  Don't think he knows any more than we do, which is to say he knows the on-field success and he knows the broadcast numbers, so that has to give him some level of confidence that OSU will land somewhere desirable when all of this stuff shakes out.

They will.  They've also cut their teeth playing good teams, so I predict we'll hear their name many more times during bowl season in upcoming seasons.  

That's definitely G being G. He knows his days of playing footsie with other teams for a pay raise from ok state is about to be over. So it's either take a pay cut & hope to be a big fish if the Pokes end up in a small conference, or finally jump ship to another school.

Is KU football any worse than Rutgers? A lot of stuff has been said over the last week or two so I may have misheard this but seems like someone threw out that KU was 3rd in the league in total revenue. Of course they have a good PPV deal and a loyal bball fanbase but I think a network would take notice of that and they're the ones driving the bus in all of this. 

We still revert to old methodologies regarding revenue sharing. If college athletics is truly big business, treat it as such. Big10 should negotiate with Kansas based on what they bring to the table with an ability to reassess and value prior to expiration of any tv contract.

Then you want more of the pot, you get your football program to be worth a damn.

And schools on the outside looking in have to make a decision. Survive to play or get left out. The schools will have to be creative and willing to swallow some pride.

11 hours ago, mantis toboggan said:

I personally don’t find him credible, but he seems to have a following. Logic would say the chances of this guy knowing when no other leaks, corroborated reports or rumors are out there make it dubious. 

if helpful this was his last post:

Hide contents

actually your points are very valid. Looks like big 10 is being desperate. The likes to expand to the west coast have fallen through and are looking for some immediate help is what I was told. Geographically speaking Kansas may be the best option available right now.

by the way..my info is from Kansas side of things..they are fully expecting this to move fast as well

That Cujo guy sounds full of shit but I have no idea. I will say Kansas and Virginia make the most sense if the B1G is looking to expand to 16. Primary schools in their state, AAU members and at least bring some value. That’s what they’ve looked for in the past so doubt that’s changed much.

Plus Virginia is not quite as tied to the ACC as North Carolina is. Virginia would be giving up a ton of money to say no to the B1G and of course Kansas would say yes in a heartbeat. 

53 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So Bowlsby meeting with PAC about potential merger of the two conferences…is this the best possible scenario? Of all of the scenarios (including IR8 going to wherever each one gets the best invite.) 

Definitely seems like the best realistic possibility for them. B1G or ACC are just not realistic for any of those leftovers. PAC merger is much preferable to the AAC.

I don't know if the PAC would do a full merger with the Big 12 but packaging the media rights for the two conferences together seems like a strong possibility.  There could be a scheduling agreement component to is so that the big PAC squads play some more CTZ games.  If the PAC wanted to align with someone like NBC, it's a less risky move for all involved (from an exposure standpoint) if that broadcast partner has a lot of CTZ inventory, too.  

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

This is when you need T Boone's around.   You would have been invited to the Big 10 by now. The check would have cleared today.

21 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

1. Show fancy facilities
  3. ????

LOL, no.  I live here in the middle of big 10 country.  Every damn school has some rape/pedo issue - or so it seems.  Also, I've been to Columbus a few times and as much as I want to hate Texas fans, no hellhole can touch Columbus on game day.  So I don't know who you're talking to as far as OU being huge on the big 10, but it makes no sense...also, it's laughable that you think anything you do would be some big fuck you to OU...your aggy is showing.  

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This is when you need T Boone's around.   You would have been invited to the Big 10 by now. The check would have cleared today.

Lol, ok. Maybe he could have funded some research too, to get us into the AAU. Lol, again.

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

Nebraska's not AAU either and they haven't kicked out the Huskers.  Don't think that's going to make much difference now, going forward.

True, but Nubs was AAU when they entered the B1G...they weren't gonna kick them out because of that, but its probably easy to offset Nubs with University of Chicago and their AAU and B1G agreement.

Still think KU will be in the B1G when its all said and done--the AAU thing is huge to the B1G since they get most of their money from research funding. They can get KU very easily and they add in a nice TV market, to boot. Maybe ISU can get in, too, but the rest look like they are gonna have to hope the Pac-12 somehow wants Tech/OSU/KSU/ and ISU or TCU. Baylor is completely effed, which is poetic, TCU probably is done, too. TBH, they rest of these schools not named KU are probably going to completely disappointed, too. KU  and ISU may also, but they have a lot more to offer the B1G, PAC or ACC than anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL, no.  I live here in the middle of big 10 country.  Every damn school has some rape/pedo issue - or so it seems.  Also, I've been to Columbus a few times and as much as I want to hate Texas fans, no hellhole can touch Columbus on game day.  So I don't know who you're talking to as far as OU being huge on the big 10, but it makes no sense...also, it's laughable that you think anything you do would be some big fuck you to OU...your aggy is showing.  

Didn't Castiglione and/or your previous school prez like the idea of the B1G?  I vaguely recall that from several years back...

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Didn't Castiglione and/or your previous school prez like the idea of the B1G?  I vaguely recall that from several years back...

Oh for sure - the reality is SEC was always seen as the better football conference - especially the last 15 years.  Before that yes, the 10 was more attractive.  But after what happened to Nebraska, not so much...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh for sure - the reality is SEC was always seen as the better football conference - especially the last 15 years.  Before that yes, the 10 was more attractive.  But after what happened to Nebraska, not so much...

What happened to Nebraska, outside of them continuing their decent into mediocrity that started around 2002?

27 minutes ago, JWinTX said:

True, but Nubs was AAU when they entered the B1G...they weren't gonna kick them out because of that, but its probably easy to offset Nubs with University of Chicago and their AAU and B1G agreement.

The University of Chicago is no longer in the CIC (they changed their name to something like the Big Ten alliance) and they kicked all the non-full Big Ten members out.

• Hook 'Em 2