Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

East:  WVU, Cincy, UCF, KU, KSU, ISU
West: BYU, Houston, TTU, TCU, BU, OSU

I would watch and enjoy that West division a lot.  

If the Big East was an AQ conference from 2005-2011, then this is a "power conference" also.  Comments this week from the alliance kind of lead me to believe they won't go out of their way to revoke the title from the Big 12.  This iteration of the Big 12 is better than the Big East was back then.  Either way, if the CFP expansion was proposing that the top six conference champs make the playoff, then as long as it expands, the Big 12 would make the CFP pretty much annually under those same parameters.  Killing the American also more or less guarantees the PAC a spot even if the format doesn't put that guarantee in writing.  

UCF has three major bowl trips in the last decade.  UC has three in the last 15 years.  UH won a Peach Bowl in the last decade.  BYU has a color TV era national title in the trophy case.  

Make BYU a "football only" and you avoid the Sunday play issues and most of big travel headaches associated with them.  The other 11 can still do a double round robin in basketball (which was the best part of the Big 12, IMO.)  On the basketball front, UH and Cincinnati have a combined 12 final four appearances including one just last year. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

If the Big East was an AQ conference from 2005-2011, then this is a "power conference" also.  Comments this week from the alliance kind of lead me to believe they won't go out of their way to revoke the title from the Big 12.  This iteration of the Big 12 is better than the Big East was back then.  Either way, if the CFP expansion was proposing that the top six conference champs make the playoff, then as long as it expands, the Big 12 would make the CFP pretty much annually under those same parameters.  Killing the American also more or less guarantees the PAC a spot even if the format doesn't put that guarantee in writing.  

UCF has three major bowl trips in the last decade.  UC has three in the last 15 years.  UH won a Peach Bowl in the last decade.  BYU has a color TV era national title in the trophy case.  

Make BYU a "football only" and you avoid the Sunday play issues and most of big travel headaches associated with them.  The other 11 can still do a double round robin in basketball (which was the best part of the Big 12, IMO.)  On the basketball front, UH and Cincinnati have a combined 12 final four appearances including one just last year. 

Was on board until you said football only. 

BYU regularly finishes highly ranked in the Director's Cup standings and you want to leave out the other sports? Last season, BYU ranked #17 in the standings. In the 25 years of the Directors’ Cup, we have an average final ranking of 29 and have posted 14 top-30 finishes. 

I'd like to think the quality of our other programs besides football are worth the no Sunday inconvenience. 

12 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Was on board until you said football only. 

BYU regularly finishes highly ranked in the Director's Cup standings and you want to leave out the other sports? Last season, BYU ranked #17 in the standings. In the 25 years of the Directors’ Cup, we have an average final ranking of 29 and have posted 14 top-30 finishes. 

I'd like to think the quality of our other programs besides football are worth the no Sunday inconvenience. 

BYU hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in hoops since 2011, when it made the Sweet 16. they haven't won their conference since the same year.

In baseball, they have 3 NCAA playoff appearances since '94.  Last CWS appearance was 1971.

I am not persuaded...

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

BYU hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in hoops since 2011, when it made the Sweet 16. they haven't won their conference since the same year.

In baseball, they have 3 NCAA playoff appearances since '94.  Last CWS appearance was 1971.

I am not persuaded...

The biggest thing is travel and Sunday scheduling.  Those are non-issues in football.  They are legitimate issues in everything else.  I don't think BYU is additive enough in everything else to justify dealing with that.  

27 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

The biggest thing is travel and Sunday scheduling.  Those are non-issues in football.  They are legitimate issues in everything else.  I don't think BYU is additive enough in everything else to justify dealing with that.  

You got over the travel issue for WVU and you seem to be okay now with travel to Cinci and Orlando, which are similar to Provo in distance from Texas, so it seems like travel is maybe not that big of an issue. 

Edited by Crockett

9 minutes ago, Crockett said:

You got over the travel issue for WVU and you seem to be okay now with travel to Cinci and Orlando, which are similar to Provo in distance from Texas, so it seems like travel is maybe not that big of an issue. 

Wouldn't WVU, UCF and whatever other eastern team have to go to Utah and vice versa?  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Crockett said:

If the Big 12 were solely CTZ schools, an all-in BYU is less problematic.  If the Big 12 has WVU, Cincinnati, and UCF... asking them to travel to Utah for Olympic sports is the problem.  

I think the Pac, for example, wants it god damn for certain that they automatically qualify.  I think you're right in that even the current set up, the Big 12 leftover champ is probably getting in.
I think the bigger format issue for say, the Big 10, was keeping the rest of the field from being an SEC circle jerk.  Plus, (and I'm not saying this to take a shot) the completely underhanded way the SEC and ESPN were using the Big 12 in this discussion while colluding against them in secret gave the other conferences some major pause, and that relationship in and of itself is making them wary.
Yeah imagine a scenario where there's an upset at the conference championship game that makes it so one if the P5(4)'s champion isn't actually one if the top 6 conference champions. I guess the likelihood of that with these mega conferences is less than it was with 12 team leagues that kept getting unbalanced so badly, but it could still happen.

Sent from my bathroom using Crapatalk

6 minutes ago, Hellraiser97 said:

Yeah imagine a scenario where there's an upset at the conference championship game that makes it so one if the P5(4)'s champion isn't actually one if the top 6 conference champions. I guess the likelihood of that with these mega conferences is less than it was with 12 team leagues that kept getting unbalanced so badly, but it could still happen.

Sent from my bathroom using Crapatalk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Pac-12_Football_Championship_Game

On 8/30/2021 at 10:42 AM, Moby Ric said:

I remember that game.  That image also made the cover of SI.  Tech went undefeated that season in the Big 12.

Technically you are correct.  The Big XII didn't exist yet.

On 8/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Nebraska is a national brand. They’re not carrying their weight but they bring a hell of a lot more eyes than ISU would. And BTN already has the State of Iowa so the Cyclones would bring absolutely nothing in that regard. They’d just be a drain on the media deals from the rest of the conference. They would literally suck. How many people tune in to watch Matt Campbell lose to Kirk Ferentz every year?

I have a question regarding the comment in bold. Do Iowa State fans routinely watch Iowa play? By your logic, if you add one school from a state, then you need not add any more school because you have the state covered. Personally, I don't like to watch A&M games, and I am pretty sure most of our alumni have better things to do than watch Aggy play. So, adding Aggy wouldn't give all of Texas to a network.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, slorch said:

Technically you are correct.  The Big XII didn't exist yet.

Just checked.  They went 11-0 against teams that spent any time at all in the Big 12 that year.  So that's pretty much undefeated.  Also, it was the 1995-96 season.

I used to work with a guy that had a chunk of glass from that backboard.  I think he knew a guy that was seated courtside on the base line and was near a trash can where the shards were being discarded.  He asked someone if he could grab some and then he gathered some up.  He eventually handed them out.  The guy I know had his chip of backboard mounted

On 8/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, camel at sea said:

This conference is better than 10/14 of the ACC and the majority of the Pac 12 as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I have a question regarding the comment in bold. Do Iowa State fans routinely watch Iowa play? By your logic, if you add one school from a state, then you need not add any more school because you have the state covered. Personally, I don't like to watch A&M games, and I am pretty sure most of our alumni have better things to do than watch Aggy play. So, adding Aggy wouldn't give all of Texas to a network.

It’s about getting the Big Ten network on their cable packages, it doesn’t matter as much if their fans watch or not they are still getting billed for it.

The State of Iowa doesn’t even crack the top 30 US state in population with only 3 million people.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population#State_and_territory_rankings

Even if you claim that ISU own’s half the state that is only 1.5 million viewers.  Their average viewership without Texas and OU is around 1.2 million which is the same as K State and West Virginia that are located in smaller states.  Adding Kansas (AAU/basketball) with only 2.9 million population would do more for the Big Ten since that would new net new cable households and also likely get the Big Ten Network carried in most of Missouri (6 million population) which has its major population center on the borders of Big Ten states since they are 75% boxed in by Kansas, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa and Nebraska.

The best thing you can say about ISU other than AAU is that they have passionate fans who will support and watch their team on streaming (though that not an easily provable assumption) and have an existing rivalry which may free up an OOC for the Big Ten.  Yes they have good sports team currently, but they don’t have a long history of being competitive.

Still, ISU doesn’t sponsor as many sports notably baseball and men’s tennis and would be tied for the least in the Big Ten conference with Northwestern (which doesn’t sponsor M/W track/field or Men’s cross country).

The Big Ten has much better options if they choose to expand, but ISU’s best hope is that the alliance curbs any thoughts on aggressive expansion and forces everyone’s hand towards picking up the Big 12 leftovers.  Then their AAU status may be the thing that saves them.

Edited by TKthunder2

17 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

This conference is better than 10/14 of the ACC and the majority of the Pac 12 as well.

The thing that's interesting about it is that there isn't going to be any schools that are head and shoulders better than everyone else in football. Basketball has KU, but in football it has the chance to have 7 champs in 10 years. Nobody will probably care about that, but as a leftover fan that could be fun to watch.

"Left Behind Eight" gonna be watching this closely tonight. 😋

Boise State vs UCF

Date/Time: Thursday, September 2 at 7:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)

Television: ESPN

Point Spread: UCF -5.5 – Over/Under 68.5

Head-to-Head: This will be the first matchup between Boise State and UCF.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2021/9/1/22649199/boise-state-vs-central-florida-game-preview-college-football

2 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Per ESPN “breaking news”, UCF, UH, Cincinnati, and BYU are expected to submit applications to join the Big XII next week and could be approved as soon as 9/10.

And Andre Ware, current announcer of UNC vs VaTech game,  bemoans that UH should wait in hopes of PAC12 invite...  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

So Cincy, UCF, and UH probably don't want to keep playing in their current conferences for 3 or 4 more years right??

Gonna be interesting to see once these 4 new teams are approved for B12 what kind of negotiations happen to send TEXAS/blOU on their way to SEC.  Gotta make room for the Four B12 Newbies... 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 9:52 PM, Crockett said:

Did you post on Shaggy as Smitty The Lover Boy?

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

UT’s checkmate buyout move is going to be interesting. I assume we have the best attorneys in this fight. 

Our checkmate move is to let ESPN buy out the longhorn network, then negotiate bowlsby into a corner and force him to take a pennies on the dollar buyout. Then tip the valet 25 cents on the way out.