Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Well, we can certainly agree on that. It's the only fanbase who may be doucheier than aggy. I've enjoyed watching them flounder in the Rust Belt.
Corn got what they deserve.

My anger and sour grapes are about the constant shifting of the game, and further erosion of what little history we had left.

I found the 10 team Big 12 to be a really entertaining league with a unique mix of schools, fanbases, and personality. It pisses me off that OU and UT wanted to blow that up and risk being the next Nebraska because we weren’t good enough.

It’s a divorce where one party really enjoyed the arrangement and is convinced that the partner leaving is going to be just as miserable in 10 years as they are today.

There’s the potential for everyone to be happier in the future, and I would rather that be the result, but it will always seem unfortunate and avoidable to me.

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My anger and sour grapes are about the constant shifting of the game, and further erosion of what little history we had left.

I found the 10 team Big 12 to be a really entertaining league with a unique mix of schools, fanbases, and personality. It pisses me off that OU and UT wanted to blow that up and risk being the next Nebraska because we weren’t good enough.

It’s a divorce where one party really enjoyed the arrangement and is convinced that the partner leaving is going to be just as miserable in 10 years as they are today.

There’s the potential for everyone to be happier in the future, and I would rather that be the result, but it will always seem unfortunate and avoidable to me.

Well, y'all should really be angrier with OU for blowing this up. Boren and his cronies lifted their skirts to the Pac and B1G with no luck - without UT. Why they want to leave after winning so many conference titles is the bigger mystery. 

This conference is untenable without them, so UT finally acquiesced and decided we're better together elsewhere. Now we both get to take our orders from Birmingham, AL, and SEC mouth-breathers.

FML

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, y'all should really be angrier with OU for blowing this up. Boren and his cronies lifted their skirts to the Pac and B1G with no luck - without UT. Why they want to leave after winning so many conference titles is the bigger mystery. 
This conference is untenable without them, so UT finally acquiesced and decided we're better together elsewhere. Now we both get to take our orders from Birmingham, AL, and SEC mouth-breathers.
FML

I don’t view OU as any less culpable. I just don’t like any OU message boards.
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

FML

Pretty much..  Their coach, Riley, didn't even want to go.

personally, i gotta say, i think the new big 12 is going to be some wild, crazy, entertaining shit.  will it be ou, texas, bama, lsu, florida, and georgia duking out absolute wars every week?  no.  but a conference with houston, okie state, cincy, ucf, tcu, wv, baylor, and tech is going to be some batshit stuff and probably some pretty damned good football at times as well.

i actually applaud the big 12 on doing a pretty good job of pulling together a good conference in challenging circumstances.  i think they will be better than the pac12. 

my strong preference for the college football landscape was the 1996-2011 landscape.  it made the most sense by far.  this new shit is stupid stupid stupid and more stupid.

but if i was a fan of a big 12 team going forward, i don't think i'd be all that disappointed.  this conference is going to be fun as fuck and is going to offer up some solid rivalries and a shitload of wild ass games.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidis said:

personally, i gotta say, i think the new big 12 is going to be some wild, crazy, entertaining shit.  will it be ou, texas, bama, lsu, florida, and georgia duking out absolute wars every week?  no.  but a conference with houston, okie state, cincy, ucf, tcu, wv, baylor, and tech is going to be some batshit stuff and probably some pretty damned good football at times as well.

i actually applaud the big 12 on doing a pretty good job of pulling together a good conference in challenging circumstances.  i think they will be better than the pac12. 

my strong preference for the college football landscape was the 1996-2011 landscape.  it made the most sense by far.  this new shit is stupid stupid stupid and more stupid.

but if i was a fan of a big 12 team going forward, i don't think i'd be all that disappointed.  this conference is going to be fun as fuck and is going to offer up some solid rivalries and a shitload of wild ass games.

Yup, and it's getting stupider by the minute. "If conferences are going to 16 teams, that makes for nice 8 team divisions. But lets go with 1-7 or 3-8 or 867-5309 and shit, cause awesome!"

Division I should be 64 teams, 8 conferences of 8 teams each. Round robin schedule, champs go to the playoff. That leaves 5 non-con games to pick and choose from that don't damage your chance at the playoff. Go prestige worldwide with those games and bluebloods can play each other with high ratings to make more than everyone else since that's what most of this is about anyway.

But nah, let's keep monkeying around. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

Agree, the B12 will still be a lot of fun to watch, even if it's lost prestige.  Perhaps not unlike the old WAC but with more solid programs.

Just now, 'stache said:

Yup, and it's getting stupider by the minute. "If conferences are going to 16 teams, that makes for nice 8 team divisions. But lets go with 1-7 or 3-8 or 867-5309 and shit, cause awesome!"

Division I should be 64 teams, 8 conferences of 8 teams each. Round robin schedule, champs go to the playoff. That leaves 5 non-con games to pick and choose from that don't damage your chance at the playoff. Go prestige worldwide with those games and bluebloods can play each other with high ratings to make more than everyone else since that's what most of this is about anyway.

But nah, let's keep monkeying around. 

in some sense, that is kind of what's happening...just in a dumber way...if you think of divisions as their own conferences.  the sec is now just the sec and the swc split between divisions instead of conferences.  but tamu and nebraska (and the big 12 subsequently with wv) made everything beyond repair dumb.

i'd support your idea.  but it is a bit too rational for college football which prides itself on its tradition quirks that most rational people would view as utterly idiotic.

9 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

OSU and Baylor (puke) will likely be the most consistently successful but there should be some nice parity overall from year to year. KU is likely the only football program that is completely hopeless.

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, at least you can admit it. I don’t see us winning 3 straight against any of the new comers.

Really, we just wanted a stable home. That was it. We thought the Big 8 was that. The Big 12 should have been that. But for some reason the 4 schools with the biggest fanbases and most clout had an inherent disdain for everyone else.

What sucks for us is looking at the Iowa’s and Purdue’s of the world sitting fat and happy because Ohio State and Michigan are happy to subsidize their existence.

CA4CB7C4-E35E-4A80-8C41-D40468EBFF5F.gif.3a0f8c3fe3f5c33d21126119862ffffc.gif

23 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Probably the most parity we've seen in decades for sure.

597EC7DC-60AC-4D05-86D4-7A760A8EEB37.gif.acde9d5f2eb7447f9939e12a449e6552.gif

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

OSU and Baylor (puke) will likely be the most consistently successful but there should be some nice parity overall from year to year. KU is likely the only football program that is completely hopeless.

I was going to say OSU has the best chance of long term success as long as Gundy is there, but if Cincinnati can hang on to Fickell for 5 years, then they could be a problem. 

On 6/9/2022 at 7:50 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Give me some concrete examples of what the other schools did to "let this happen".

I'll spare it - there aren't any.  This happened because your program slipped, ESPN waged war on the Big 12 constantly negging it and harming it's public perception, and in light of your own struggles you craved more prestige and cash.  It's about money first and perception second, and there isn't anything the remaining Big 12 schools could do to fix the perception and money issues short of a bunch of Plains states suddenly becoming booming population centers.

The terrible officiating fucked schools like us worse than it did you.  You think we liked it?  I've linked many examples of ISU agreeing to play on the LHN, and our AD openly praising Texas and OU for being financial bell cows of the league.  We did everything we could and it wasn't enough.  It was never going to be, and that has less to do with what we were willing to do than what you were willing to have or be.  If you can't be dominant on the field, you'd rather be hitched to the big wagon.  I get it.  It's better to go 6-6 against Bama and LSU than go 6-6 against us and KSU.  Prestige Worldwide, baby.

The only thing that could have saved the previous iteration of the Big 12 was Texas and Oklahoma winning some nattys in the last decade.  That's it.  College football at it's highest financial level only values who you were.  Not who you are or what you could be.

You are right I do not have concrete examples.  I can only watch the biased officiating that went on for decades and the nothing that was done to address it.  I can see the schools suing to keep Texas saddled with the others.   I blame everyone involved for not correcting it.   Texas included.  

Your other shit about Texas stinking is nothing we don't already know.   I do like how you are recycling the comments we made about aggy going to the SEC and trying to use it against us as if you thought of it or as if we are deluded into thinking the conference switch is going to be a shot in the arm, instead of the coaching and recruiting issues and instability of the AD.  

16 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I was going to say OSU has the best chance of long term success as long as Gundy is there, but if Cincinnati can hang on to Fickell for 5 years, then they could be a problem. 

I don't know how you bet against BYU shaking up the Big 12 with walk-ons on scholarship and grown men/missionaries filling out their roster.

7 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

I don't know how you bet against BYU shaking up the Big 12 with walk-ons on scholarship and grown men/missionaries filling out their roster.

I mean they had some decent runs here and there with a MWC and indy schedule, but nothing here tells me they are any better or any more consistent than an ISU or KSU.

image.png.d1f8f5b589149e341388eb963fd3eaa7.png

On 6/9/2022 at 7:33 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Yeah, I don't think Texas fans have any malice towards the Big 12, but there's a natural desire to know you made the right move, and the failure of the Big 12 would confirm that, even if Texas football doesn't really improve on the field in the SEC.

Go to tho this link to see how we feel about the refs when they screwed your team out of a touchdown.   https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/16712-fuck-big-12-refs/page/29/  Read this and tell me if you think it is about fair play or just fans whining?   I believe there is a post in there about the statistics which showed a direct bias against Texas in there as well (but not on that page).   

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I mean they had some decent runs here and there with a MWC and indy schedule, but nothing here tells me they are any better or any more consistent than an ISU or KSU.

Our last two performances against them in 2013-14 probably skewed my opinion of BYU. I still think they'll be in contention for Big 12 titles, along with OSU, UCF, and maybe Cincy. League should be wide open.

http://www.winsipedia.com/texas/vs/byu

I have no doubt the new entrants will all get home games against either Texas or OU in their first year. Got to get that sellout while you have the chance. I'll go if they do UCF in Orlando. Can let the wife and kids go to Disneyworld while I watch sportsball. 

Edited by mdmost

39 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Our last two performances against them in 2013-14 probably skewed my opinion of BYU. I still think they'll be in contention for Big 12 titles, along with OSU, UCF, and maybe Cincy. League should be wide open.

http://www.winsipedia.com/texas/vs/byu

It’s like they’re fighting to be the white spot on top on chicken shit. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Well, the masses of any bulletin board aren't always good at being self aware of their community. I find surly better than most.

I've spent a lot of time on other bulletin boards over the years. Nebraska in the 90s and early aughts was particularly instructive since I got to see the hate form from a nascent state. I don't think there's another school the average Nebraska fan hates more than Texas to this day. And it transcends all sports. 

Somebody has to be the heel. Texas plays a good one, IMO. 

Kansas State alum here, and I can say that I don't hate Texas at all. More indifferent than anything, though I loved playing them in the long long ago when both programs were actually good. I do hate Nebraska. I love Scott Frost and everything about him, love that their "loser" quarterback is going to step foot on our campus and immediately compete for a conference title now that he is actually surrounded by talent, and love that Nebraska will probably miss a bowl game for the 6th consecutive year. I will tune in for that. Can't say that I will care to tune into Texas games in the SEC unless they are actually relevant or playing someone relevant in a late season game. Wish them only the best.

42 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The math doesn't quite work out for the cars vs. number of people unless they somehow parachuted them into the stadium. 

I went to a game there a few years ago. There are lots and garages in that cluster of buildings beyond the track stadium. It's probably similar to TCU in terms of game day car access. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

They looked pretty good last year, but certainly looked like they were 2 or 3 steps slower than BU at most positions outside of WR. I think they might struggle a bit against teams like TCU and oSu that usually are fast as hell.

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

They looked pretty good last year, but certainly looked like they were 2 or 3 steps slower than BU at most positions outside of WR. I think they might struggle a bit against teams like TCU and oSu that usually are fast as hell.

Yeah in translating BYU into the Big 12, they strike me as being something very similar to Kansas State…. They’ll almost always be a pain in the ass to play, and every so often the stars will align and they’ll roll out an elite team that will contend for the conference title/be a top 10 type team.

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

OU simply chose to look down on their home slate. No different than UT. There was deep seeded arrogance that you were just better than these schools. OU chose unhappiness.

OU fans look down on their home slate b/c their team has historically dominated that entire slate for decades.  Iowa State has played OU around 90 times and has seven wins against OU all-time.  Bedlam is 90-19-7 all-time.  The Baylor series is 27-4 all-time.  OU has 14 Big 12 titles and the next closest school in the conference has 3.  The arrogance is earned and it's just been delusional by the Big 12 to think they can wish that OU donor sentiment away.      

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What sucks for us is looking at the Iowa’s and Purdue’s of the world sitting fat and happy because Ohio State and Michigan are happy to subsidize their existence.

Conferences need a reason to exist. The Big 10’s reason is to have an athletic conference of schools that can cooperate academically with prestigious peers. 

The Big 8 was never that. The SWC was never that. The Big XII was never that. Iowa and Purdue are in just a completely different situation. 

Why does the Big XII exist? Near as I can tell, it was created to maximize revenue from athletics. Why be surprised when members leave for even greener pastures? Going forward, do you see the Big XII being a tighter knit group?

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They seem to be fine with it. This attitude is fairly unique to the schools that came out of the Big 12 footprint.

Ohio State never seems bummed about playing Purdue. Clemson never seems bummed about playing Wake.

Clemson shares a league with Florida State and Miami, who have about 8 national titles since the 80s, and they would still crawl over broken glass to get an SEC invite.  In addition to Purdue, Ohio State also shares a league with Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa - all of whom would be the top program, with respect to national perception, if they were in the new Big 12.  If Purdue had the 2nd or 3rd best program in the Big Ten, Ohio State would leave.     

6 hours ago, sidis said:

Yeah. Clear the runway for Baylor, OSU, Cincy, Houston, etc., to win conference football titles, and I think that league is going to look like a bunch of cats in a sack.  It'll be extremely competitive and really fun.  It's going to continue to be nationally elite in men's basketball, too, for whatever that's worth. 

People make a lot of the recruiting thing, with NIL, but I don't see it hurting the new Big 12 all that much.  Those programs aren't winning with Top 25 classes anyway.  They're built on culture, evaluation, development, etc., and I think they'll continue signing high 3 star kids and turning them into really good players.  The new Big 12 is made to weather the realignment change pretty well.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah in translating BYU into the Big 12, they strike me as being something very similar to Kansas State…. They’ll almost always be a pain in the ass to play, and every so often the stars will align and they’ll roll out an elite team that will contend for the conference title/be a top 10 type team.

This is about right. 

Maybe just maybe Kalani has built a program that can level up tho. Last two years have been good, after learning the head coaching ropes. Will be interesting to see when we play a Big 12 schedule how well we do. 

Don’t know about the other schools, but U of H is fired up about being in the big12. Sports radio is very high on the move (even the ut honks). Like someone said up thread., it’s going to be some fun football games. Basketball is going to pretty tough.

when’s the current national tv contracts up ? It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the next contract. 

12 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Don’t know about the other schools, but U of H is fired up about being in the big12. Sports radio is very high on the move (even the ut honks). Like someone said up thread., it’s going to be some fun football games. Basketball is going to pretty tough.

when’s the current national tv contracts up ? It’ll be interesting to see what happens with the next contract. 

Matt Thomas sock confirmed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1