Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

...It's also possible he's the next coming of Will Muschamp, which means OU would have to nail the next hire because chaining together multiple bad hires is how you get lost in the wilderness.  Being forced into another coaching change in their last Big 12 year or their first SEC year will make transitioning conferences that much harder for them.

Now where can we find an example of this? 

• Haha 6
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, statsman said:

Texas is noteworthy for how long it will stay at its floor level. The administration just will just let it go on for years, waiting for the program to pull out, before getting serious and intervening. 
OU is noteworthy for how short a period it will tolerate being at its floor level.

I told an OU friend of mine this during FUPM’s dying days, and he thought I was crazy. He just couldn’t see it. 

Yeah. I do think that the new model of college football is more program systems driven (organizational structure like NFL) and less coach-driven. Texas is taking major steps in that direction (following model created by Saban and imitated by Smart). We’ll see about OU. I suspect Venables may be too much of a hardass for today’s environment, where players don’t have to put up with that shit

20 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

You people are dreaming. As much as I'd love for OU to become a Nebraska-like has-been, they're too close in proximity to the North Texas recruiting hotbeds to become irrelevant for long. Additionally, when Nebraska left for the Big Ten, they abandoned that Texas recruiting pipeline. OU, on the other hand, will not only be able to continue to recruit Texas, but other SEC states more easily now.

100% this.

Plus the entire OU administration is committed to doing whatever it takes to win at a high level. They’ll be fine once they realize that Venables sucks. If he fires out another 6-7 win season this year he’ll be gone and they’ll break the bank to bring Heupel in.

• Hook 'Em 1

Heupel knows what OU is about. When Stoops had an opportunity to upgrade to Riley, at OC, Heupel was out the door. I don’t see the fundamentals at OU, in terms of program potential, as being better than Tennessee. They have more success because they are more cutthroat. 

A successful coach at Tennessee leaves for a program with superior program foundation (recruiting, competitive landscape) or the NFL. 

So, he played for OU. So did Darrell Royal, and that wasn’t enough to draw him back. And Royal actually was from Oklahoma. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Heupel knows what OU is about. When Stoops had an opportunity to upgrade to Riley, at OC, Heupel was out the door. I don’t see the fundamentals at OU, in terms of program potential, as being better than Tennessee. They have more success because they are more cutthroat. 

A successful coach at Tennessee leaves for a program with superior program foundation (recruiting, competitive landscape) or the NFL. 

So, he played for OU. So did Darrell Royal, and that wasn’t enough to draw him back. And Royal actually was from Oklahoma. 

I’ve got almost 100 years of history that says the fundamentals at OU are better than Tennessee.

As much as I hate to say it, OU is a top 5 all-time CFB program. Tennessee has a marginally bigger stadium than OU.  What else do they have on them now that OU is going to the SEC? OU is a better program than Tennessee in every conceivable way.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Heupel would take the OU job, and he'd probably kick ass there. I hope we beat their ass again this year, but Venables shows enough to string out OU's decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

OU will not vanish from the CFB landscape. They will however, as all other schools including Texas, have to survive in CFB 3.0. The SEC is not going to allow any one school an easy path to annual or near annual conference championships. Barring a fall of some of its powers, there won’t even be terribly easy paths for traditional powers even to play annually in the CCG. OU brings reputation and institutional commitment, but memory can be short, and many schools want to win. Going forward, getting Jimmys and Joes is going to depend heavily on a well-managed and funded NIL and portal operation. A Wilkinson-style desk full of cash helped launch some programs, but neither OU nor aggy nor even Bama can coast forever on that part of their past. OU may turn up a billionaire angel to keep them competitive— who knows. The day before our first B12 meeting against Nebraska, few would have predicted that they’d be in a ditch and the LA schools joining them in the B10 25 years hence. 

TLDR: OU has an enormous beta, both next season and long term. They are not a giant or terribly wealthy school.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I’ve got almost 100 years of history that says the fundamentals at OU are better than Tennessee.

As much as I hate to say it, OU is a top 5 all-time CFB program. Tennessee has a marginally bigger stadium than OU.  What else do they have on them now that OU is going to the SEC? OU is a better program than Tennessee in every conceivable way.

Boomer Sooner is worse than Rocky Top. Tennessee’s end zone is better. Tennessee would win a naval battle. Being a Volunteer is better than being a cheater. 

Maybe OU squeaks into the top five over someone like Ohio State, maybe not, but, yeah, they’re all over Tennessee. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Program fundamentals. OU built its program by being one of two powerhouses in the Big 8, or as some knew it- the “Big 2 and Little 6”. Its main rival was UT, and it was greatly assisted in that its main rival had this hang up about following the rules, even to its competitive detriment. OU has no such qualms. It always used the RRS as a foundation for its Texas recruiting, a necessary facet of its program because the state of Oklahoma just doesn’t produce enough FBS players. The current B12 iteration helps even more- OU gets 2 or 3 games in Texas every year. 

Now, OU is joining a league where a dozen teams are very serious about football. Everybody, including UT, is paying players. It will get 1 or 2 games in state every year (unless it adds more in non conference). Contrast with OSU, which will have two games in Texas, every year. Will Texas recruits consider OU more of a “stay home” option, like UT and TAMU? Or will they consider it a “go away” option like Arkansas and LSU?

Sure, OU can now recruit Florida, Georgia and Louisiana. Good luck  

This is why I sayOU’s program fundamentals aren’t appreciably better than Tennessee’s. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Boomer Sooner is worse than Rocky Top. Tennessee’s end zone is better. Tennessee would win a naval battle. Being a Volunteer is better than being a cheater. 

Maybe OU squeaks into the top five over someone like Ohio State, maybe not, but, yeah, they’re all over Tennessee. 

Rocky Top is a great song.   A little bit of an ode to moonshine.  

On 1/27/2023 at 3:03 PM, Saint Austin said:

You people are dreaming. As much as I'd love for OU to become a Nebraska-like has-been, they're too close in proximity to the North Texas recruiting hotbeds to become irrelevant for long. Additionally, when Nebraska left for the Big Ten, they abandoned that Texas recruiting pipeline. OU, on the other hand, will not only be able to continue to recruit Texas, but other SEC states more easily now.

Yeah.  The big advantage for OU that people sleep on is the lack of regional recruiting competition within a 300 mile radius of campus.  If you're at Tennessee, you've got a lot of resources, and surrounding talent, but you've also got a lot of serious recruiting competition all around you.  UT and aggy are both over 300+ miles from Norman and those are the two closest recruiting peer schools that OU faces.  The SEC doesn't hurt that built-in advantage and probably helps OU with national recruits.

4 hours ago, statsman said:

Program fundamentals. OU built its program by being one of two powerhouses in the Big 8, or as some knew it- the “Big 2 and Little 6”. Its main rival was UT, and it was greatly assisted in that its main rival had this hang up about following the rules, even to its competitive detriment. OU has no such qualms. It always used the RRS as a foundation for its Texas recruiting, a necessary facet of its program because the state of Oklahoma just doesn’t produce enough FBS players. The current B12 iteration helps even more- OU gets 2 or 3 games in Texas every year. 

Now, OU is joining a league where a dozen teams are very serious about football. Everybody, including UT, is paying players. It will get 1 or 2 games in state every year (unless it adds more in non conference). Contrast with OSU, which will have two games in Texas, every year. Will Texas recruits consider OU more of a “stay home” option, like UT and TAMU? Or will they consider it a “go away” option like Arkansas and LSU?

Sure, OU can now recruit Florida, Georgia and Louisiana. Good luck  

This is why I sayOU’s program fundamentals aren’t appreciably better than Tennessee’s. 

I think you way overvalue "games in Texas" for big-time recruits in the state. It's not 1986. Big-time recruits will go to programs that compete for championships and can afford to fork out NIL cash regardless of location.

My money is that OU will do just fine in that department and certainly way better than a place like Tennessee, which barely could hold their head above water for like 20 years before Heupel came to town.

Now excuse me while I go vomit for defending fucking OUsux.

Edited by oSuJeff97

19 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I think you way overvalue "games in Texas" for big-time recruits in the state. It's not 1986. Big-time recruits will go to programs that compete for championships and can afford to fork out NIL cash regardless of location.

My money is that OU will do just fine in that department and certainly way better than a place like Tennessee, which barely could hold their head above water for like 20 years before Heupel came to town.

Now excuse me while I go vomit for defending fucking OUsux.

And you way undervalue it. Folks down here are very prideful if you haven't noticed. Playing in front of family, friends, and coaches is very important. Yes, the top guys are usually gonna follow the money/success.

1 hour ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

And you way undervalue it. Folks down here are very prideful if you haven't noticed. Playing in front of family, friends, and coaches is very important. Yes, the top guys are usually gonna follow the money/success.

Oh please.

Again, this isn’t 1986.  TONS of top HS kids from Texas go out of state to programs all over the country every single year.

And it’s not as if OU is in freaking South Dakota. It’s a 3-hour drive to the Metroplex. Plenty of kids in Texas are literally closer to OU in distance than they are to Texas or Texas A&M.

And anyway, they’ll play Texas every year and A&M maybe also, and they can schedule non-conference games in Texas.

This is just wishful thinking on some people’s part.

Hell I HOPE OU falls flat on their stupid fucking faces in the SEC. I just don’t see it.

Edited by oSuJeff97

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I don’t think ou will do as well in the sec as it did in the big 12.  Fair to say?

What indication(s) do you have that either Texas or Oklahoma will do better in the SEC?

Just now, slorch said:

What indication(s) do you have that either Texas or Oklahoma will do better in the SEC?

None.  I do think it takes away aggys only recruiting advantage.  We’re moving into a conference where 6 or 7 schools can come close to matching our history, pedigree, commitment and resources.  

Sure OU *could* turn into Nebraska.  Texas *could* turn into Cal as well.  Neither is happening.  And of course OU isn’t stacking conference championships in the SEC like they did in the 12.  It will be entertaining but I agree the middle and bottom of the SEC is not better than the middle and bottom of the 12.  Just hilarious to think OU or Texas struggle to get wins.  To win against the top 2 in the conference?  Sure I’ll give you that…it will be much harder to beat Georgia and Bama

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a question that's already been answered but people seem to forget. 

Is Alabama great because they're Alabama, or because Nick Saban is their coach? 

The Crimson Tide was 4-9 as recent as 2003.

To think Texas and Oklahoma are relinquished to eternal bridesmaids to the rednecks in Tuscaloosa and Athens is laughable. Darrell Royal was undefeated vs Bear Bryant. 

As soon as this university decides to stop stepping on their own dick and go all in on football it could dominate college football and especially the SEC.

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 1/28/2023 at 11:59 AM, statsman said:

Technically. 
DKR was born on what had been Texas soil (Greer County) just a few years after it was stolen by the Sooners via a misguided Supreme Court decision.

9 minutes ago, Smax said:
14 minutes ago, Nivek said:
b12 refs guaranteed the loss vs Alabama.

This is so blown out of proportion, every team gets bad calls, you all are just hyper focused on everything going against us. The refs havent kept us basically irrelevant for over a decade

Hell, we were getting cheated in the Baylor game (by the same crew that called the osu game) until those fuckers saw the handwriting on the wall and gave up.

6 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

At least our non-con will move to 3 G5 programs year in and year out soon, so…. 3 auto wins a year will be nice

I kinda hope not. That isn’t a requirement, it’s just an option. Maybe my opinion will change when using one of those spots for a big OOC game costs us a shot, but for now I’d prefer as many good games as possible. 

23 minutes ago, Smax said:
27 minutes ago, Nivek said:
b12 refs guaranteed the loss vs Alabama.

This is so blown out of proportion, every team gets bad calls, you all are just hyper focused on everything going against us. The refs havent kept us basically irrelevant for over a decade

What would be “in proportion?”

3FDFE4B7-0B46-4CA1-9324-6F4D350BB53B.jpeg

18166290-BC58-4AB2-9AA5-359A328B13D4.jpeg

A10F160E-77FE-4AC5-BA40-2B11320D3B79.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

What would be “in proportion?”

3FDFE4B7-0B46-4CA1-9324-6F4D350BB53B.jpeg

18166290-BC58-4AB2-9AA5-359A328B13D4.jpeg

A10F160E-77FE-4AC5-BA40-2B11320D3B79.jpeg

oh

oh my

now I'm convinced..... once again holding happens on every play, calls are missed on nearly every play, go to any school of your choosing forum like this and they can conjure up the same screenshots and same argument about how the refs are out to get them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Standard lazy false equivalency. Both of their long TDs were from holds at the LOS.

19 penalties to 1 yard. In 2 games. Bad spots which make one team need 11.5 yards for a first and the other need about 8.5 yards, is not an accident.

It has been posted with pictures and video ad nauseam.

Think about it this way. One team is hawkishly scrutinized for infractions and called for them about 90% of the time. The other team is not scrutinized and is called for them 10% of the time. Does this impact the outcome?

Or does it happen to every coach for an official to run into him and then flag him? Maybe it is very normal and I just have no idea. I for some reason cannot recall Stoops or Patterson or Leach or Snyder, or Steele, or Dykes, or Brown, or Aranda, or Briles, or Gundy, or Solich, or Callahan, or Campbell, or Chizek, or Miles, or Herman, or Hawkins, or Barnett, or Pinkle, or Slocum, or Francionne, or Mangino, or anyone else I left off. But sure, it always works out in the end. 19 penalties to 1 yard.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Smax said:

oh

oh my

now I'm convinced..... once again holding happens on every play, calls are missed on nearly every play, go to any school of your choosing forum like this and they can conjure up the same screenshots and same argument about how the refs are out to get them.

Blatant holding on the contain in a wide open field which led to the game winning field? Safeties not called? Obvious facemask that would five first and goal? In a one point game?

You don’t have to be convinced. That’s at least five points, maybe nine, on those missed calls. Yeah, officials screw up. They screwed these up. If you don’t think those screw ups directly affected the score, we’ll just disagree. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

oh
oh my

No look up the number of holds called against Texas and compare it to the number called against Texas opponents when facing Texas.

oh
oh my

No look up the number of holds called against Texas and compare it to the number called against Texas opponents when facing Texas.

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Standard lazy false equivalency. Both of their long TDs were from holds at the LOS.

19 penalties to 1 yard. In 2 games. Bad spots which make one team need 11.5 yards for a first and the other need about 8.5 yards, is not an accident.

It has been posted with pictures and video ad nauseam.

Think about it this way. One team is hawkishly scrutinized for infractions and called for them about 90% of the time. The other team is not scrutinized and is called for them 10% of the time. Does this impact the outcome?

Or does it happen to every coach for an official to run into him and then flag him? Maybe it is very normal and I just have no idea. I for some reason cannot recall Stoops or Patterson or Leach or Snyder, or Steele, or Dykes, or Brown, or Aranda, or Briles, or Gundy, or Solich, or Callahan, or Campbell, or Chizek, or Miles, or Herman, or Hawkins, or Barnett, or Pinkle, or Slocum, or Francionne, or Mangino, or anyone else I left off. But sure, it always works out in the end. 19 penalties to 1 yard.

so youre saying there is some cabal within the big 12 and or big 12 refs out to get Texas.? 

Whats the reasoning? Everything is about money where is the money in keeping Texas down

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

link me to the database please

44 minutes ago, Smax said:

link me to the database please

https://texassports.com/sports/football/stats/2022?path=football

Have at it. Many of us have. 

There were two times all season when a B12 team was called for a hold against Texas. In each case, a personal foul on Texas kept the drive going. (😄”It’s ok; we got you. Just got to make it look reasonable”)

Why? Because the refs work for the B12 and Texas and OU are leaving the B12. The refs see Texas as the team hurting their employer. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, statsman said:

https://texassports.com/sports/football/stats/2022?path=football

Have at it. Many of us have. 

There were two times all season when a B12 team was called for a hold against Texas. In each case, a personal foul on Texas kept the drive going. (😄”It’s ok; we got you. Just got to make it look reasonable”)

Why? Because the refs work for the B12 and Texas and OU are leaving the B12. The refs see Texas as the team hurting their employer. 

I laughed when they finally called a penalty late vs Baylor.  It was a 3 yard half the distance to the goal penalty.

• Hook 'Em 1