Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

That 2015 UT/OSU was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen, but I'm much more in the camp of someone on the crew having a personal vendetta vs any kind of greater conspiracy.  Either one of the refs had some pre-existing beef with UT or something in that game set him off.

Ironically, the next season OSU fell victim to the single worst call I've ever seen.

One bad call in a game is one bad call. Two bad calls is a coincidence. Three, all going the same way, is a trend. 

The three games I noted above (1992 Baylor, 1999 TAMU and 2015 OSU) all had at least three egregiously bad calls. The first two, it’s clear why the bias- send the Dean of the SWC off into retirement on a high note, make up for the death of the Aggie students on the bonfire (retarded, I know, to think a football game means something, but there are plenty of Aggie accounts mentioning that “it helped”). 

2015 OSU? It’s not obvious. Maybe the refs (more than one were involved) had a grudge. Maybe they liked Gundy? Who knows? They definitely swayed the game. 

In the first and third games (1992 and 2014), Texas was going nowhere. I think that plays into it. 

The last couple of years, if Texas gets a lead and comes out of halftime playing well, the bumfuckery doesn’t seem to get going. If Texas stalls out of the half, it’s not getting the benefit of any doubts. See last year’s OSU game, where Ewers scrambles for a big gain late, and a gold is called on a textbook (Christian Jones?) pancake block. Or the TCU game, where it was decided that the Frogs get to hold. 

I don’t join in on the bashing of Sark because I really feel that he has a headwind to sail into that others don’t. 

Edited by statsman

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

One bad call in a game is one bad call. Two bad calls is a coincidence. Three, all going the same way, is a trend. 

The three games I noted above (1992 Baylor, 1999 TAMU and 2015 OSU) all had at least three egregiously bad calls. The first two, it’s clear why the bias- send the Dean of the SWC off into retirement on a high note, make up for the death of the Aggie students on the bonfire (retarded, I know, to think a football game means something, but there are plenty of Aggie accounts mentioning that “it helped”). 

2015 OSU? It’s not obvious. Maybe the refs (more than one were involved) had a grudge. Maybe they liked Gundy? Who knows? They definitely swayed the game. 

That's why I think it was in regards to something that happened during play.  There wasn't some pre-existing circumstance that would make for a better story if OK State won.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

23 minutes ago, statsman said:

See last year’s OSU game, where Ewers scrambles for a big gain late, and a gold is called on a textbook (Christian Jones?) pancake block.

The long TD run? That’s part of why, as bad as the numbers are, the numbers don’t even tell the whole story. You can call a game “even” or even “in Texas’ favor” by the numbers but if the penalties take away Texas scores or are later offset (call a hold on the opponent then a personal foul on Texas to keep the drive going) so the penalties are a net benefit to Oklahoma State, the deed is done. 

It would be interesting to know what the likelihood the penalties called could be explained by random variances in incompetence.

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's why I think it was in regards to something that happened during play.  There wasn't some pre-existing circumstance that would make for a better story if OK State won.

There were bad calls prior to that incident (which started during the play when an OSU OL tackled a UT DL & defensive holding was called - a WTF moment if I ever saw one).  I have never heard what I consider to be a good theory why the game was called as it was, but I heard a wild speculation (on Surly, I think) that some UT booster(s) were fed up with Strong and trying to get him fired.  As much as that crazy ass theory sickens me, it makes as much sense as anything else I've heard.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, cochamps said:

There were bad calls prior to that incident (which started during the play when an OSU OL tackled a UT DL & defensive holding was called - a WTF moment if I ever saw one).  I have never heard what I consider to be a good theory why the game was called as it was, but I heard a wild speculation (on Surly, I think) that some UT booster(s) were fed up with Strong and trying to get him fired.  As much as that crazy ass theory sickens me, it makes as much sense as anything else I've heard.

I'd actually buy that more than I would that Boone Pickens orchestrated it.

But that still seems kind of crazy.  I just think somehow in the course of the game, Strong pissed off the refs.  I know that usually wasn't his MO, but people get heated and shit happens.  Especially after an innocent but still terrible call.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

OU schedule:

Non conference: Arkansas State (H) SMU (H) Tulsa (A)

Home: UCF TCU West Virginia Iowa State

Road: BYU Cincinnati Kansas Oklahoma State

Neutral: Texas

Do Not Play: Texas Tech Houston Baylor Kansas State

That's an incredibly easy schedule for OU. Missing out on @KSU, @Baylor, and Tech. Toughest road game is BYU. 

• Hook 'Em 2

We shouldn’t be playing Coug High. It’s beneath us, but we are because … money. The IT Houston posters are thrilled because it’s a shorter drive than Austin. Yes. Really.

I fully expect the Coug box office to fire all of their ticket shenanigan bullets. Blacking out buyers with Austin, San Antonio, and Metroplex zip codes. Season ticket requirements for one Texas ticket. And the always popular “dynamic pricing”. 

I plan on curmudgeonly attending the tailgate, and watching the game at home. I won’t give those bastards the pleasure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

We shouldn’t be playing Coug High. It’s beneath us, but we are because … money. The IT Houston posters are thrilled because it’s a shorter drive than Austin. Yes. Really.

I fully expect the Coug box office to fire all of their ticket shenanigan bullets. Blacking out buyers with Austin, San Antonio, and Metroplex zip codes. Season ticket requirements for one Texas ticket. And the always popular “dynamic pricing”. 

I plan on curmudgeonly attending the tailgate, and watching the game at home. I won’t give those bastards the pleasure. 

920x920.jpg

lulz TDECU Stadium seats 40,000 

Houston is the school I'm looking forward to the least of the new members.  I imagine them having all the qualities I loathe about Texas (arrogance and insularity) and none of the qualities I love about Texas (gregariousness, passionate attachment to their cause).  Tilman Fertitta seems like the classic big money small dick character.  Their stadium looks nice, but I just don't see them giving a shit unless they're having a really superb year, and then they'll be annoying as fuck only to disappear the second they trail off.

Maybe this site's collective disdain for them has rubbed off, but the other 3 schools have much more passionate and consistently supportive fanbases.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

But that still seems kind of crazy.  I just think somehow in the course of the game, Strong pissed off the refs.  I know that usually wasn't his MO, but people get heated and shit happens.  Especially after an innocent but still terrible call.

There were multiple bad calls of significance, so I do not think there was anything innocent about that shit at all.  No clue what caused it, but Strong pissing off the refs is not a consideration for me.  The refs finally did piss Charlie off though, I'll give you that.

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Houston is the school I'm looking forward to the least of the new members.  I imagine them having all the qualities I loathe about Texas (arrogance and insularity) and none of the qualities I love about Texas (gregariousness, passionate attachment to their cause).  Tilman Fertitta seems like the classic big money small dick character.  Their stadium looks nice, but I just don't see them giving a shit unless they're having a really superb year, and then they'll be annoying as fuck only to disappear the second they trail off.

Maybe this site's collective disdain for them has rubbed off, but the other 3 schools have much more passionate and consistently supportive fanbases.

Yeah have fun with them.  They're awful. 

https://texassports.com/sports/football/stats/2015/oklahoma-state/boxscore/8609

With less than nine minutes and OSU down three, OSU fumbled on their 46. The OSU QB ran to the pile late and was awarded the ball after review. It was a bad call. A few more punts and this sequence-

Oklahoma State at 04:03
1st and 10 at OSU49 OKLAHOMA STATE drive start at 04:03.
1st and 10 at OSU49 Rudolph, Mason OUT pass incomplete to Ateman, Marcell.
2nd and 10 at OSU49 PENALTY UT defensive pass interference (Boyd, Kris) 7 yards to the UT44, 1ST DOWN OSU.
1st and 10 at UT44 Childs, Rennie rush up middle for no gain to the UT44 (Cottrell, Bryce;Ridgeway, Hassa), PENALTY UT defensive holding (Ford, Poona) 10 yards to the UT34, 1ST DOWN OSU, NO PLAY.
1st and 10 at UT34 PENALTY UT unsportsmanlike conduct 15 yards to the UT19, 1ST DOWN OSU. 
Penalty called on Texas bench.
1st and 10 at UT19 Childs, Rennie rush up middle for loss of 1 yard to the UT20 (Jinkens, Peter).
2nd and 11 at UT20 Walsh, J.W. at QB for Oklahoma State.
2nd and 11 at UT20 Childs, Rennie rush over right guard for no gain to the UT20 (Ford, Poona;Wheeler, Anthon).
3rd and 11 at UT20 Childs, Rennie rush over right tackle for 1 yard to the UT19 (Hughes, Naashon).
4th and 10 at UT19 PENALTY OSU delay of game (Reber, Bryant) 5 yards to the UT24.
4th and 15 at UT24 Grogan, Ben field goal attempt from 41 GOOD, clock 01:33.

1st and GOAL at OSU35

Grogan, Ben kickoff 65 yards to the UT0, Johnson, Daje return 25 yards to the UT25 (Sterns, Jordan).
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It may seem less crazy when you consider that Red McCombs, for whom our Business school & softball stadium are named, opined upon Charlie's hiring that Strong would make a good position coach or maybe a coordinator.  Red wanted Jon Gruden (wtf?) and was pissed that he and other big shots were not consulted.  Having owned a couple of pro franchises, he probably had given such input on earlier hires.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It will be interesting to see who we miss out on playing this year and if that has any bearing on who Fox might want us playing in future OOC games to make them whole.

Here is what I've gathered so far:

Non Conference: Rice, @ Alabama, Wyoming

Conference: @ TCU  

Neutral: Oklahoma

Not Scheduled: Oklahoma State

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It will be interesting to see who we miss out on playing this year and if that has any bearing on who Fox might want us playing in future OOC games to make them whole.

My guess is we don't miss out on any Texas teams because $$$$ (Tech, TCU, UH, Baylor) and of course we play OU, so there's 5 at least.  We keep KSU since they miss out on OU, allegedly.

Pure guess: Host Tech, BYU, KSU; travel to UH, Baylor, TCU and one of ISU/Cincinnati/UCF so we have to travel out of state in conference play; OU in Dallas

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Texas should just leave and go independent this season. Scheduling random schools throughout the year would be better than whatever the Big XII is going to try to do. 

That wouldn’t absolve Texas of it’s financial commitments and responsibilities though. 

and it would be effectively a scrimmage year. 

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just don't see them giving a shit unless they're having a really superb year, and then they'll be annoying as fuck only to disappear the second they trail off.

I went to UH for my doctorate. The bolded part is absolutely true. I remember being astonished at how much the undergrads loathed Texas, considering these were kids who would have been born during the final years of the SWC or after it’s death, and there was no relationship between the schools throughout their lives. There was a near-Aggie level inferiority complex with them.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

I know we want to move on from 2015 OSU, and Immanac, I promise this is the last post of mine about it in this thread. I just thought this was too good. Kelly Deterding was the line judge who PFed Strong, and here he is at a talk over a year ago-

https://www.floydcountyrecord.com/2021/11/16/big-xii-officiating-veteran-speaks-to-floydada-clubs/

Deterding is a line judge and is positioned on the sideline every play. This is where he has just about heard it all from head coaches.

“Coaches are always your friends before the game, but not while it is going on,” Deterding said. “I will allow the head coach to vent his frustration on calls that go against his team, but I will not listen to the assistant coaches at all. Head coaches are warned to keep the assistants away from me,” he added with a chuckle.

Deterding rejects the notion that on officiating crew may be biased toward one team or another, noting that all of the training and rules that they are subjected to help keep a contest fair and under control.

“Very seldom do I even know the final score when it is over. We focus on each play to make sure it was right,” Deterding commented.

The ref of that crew, Alan Eck, is in the NFL now. I hope Deterding stays in the B12. 

59 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Here is what I've gathered so far:

Non Conference: Rice, @ Alabama, Wyoming

Conference: @ TCU  

Neutral: Oklahoma

Not Scheduled: Oklahoma State

Not playing Okie State this year would be an ice cold move by the boys in Dallas, but I’m here for it. It’s consistently the worst officiated Texas game every year. 

I think we should play every team in the old Big 12 South. It’d be nice if OU played the remaining Big Eight teams on their farewell tour. I don’t think the conference should cater to the new members, but they will because they think U of H is some sleeping giant in a good tv market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

OU schedule:

Non conference: Arkansas State (H) SMU (H) Tulsa (A)

Home: UCF TCU West Virginia Iowa State

Road: BYU Cincinnati Kansas Oklahoma State

Neutral: Texas

Do Not Play: Texas Tech Houston Baylor Kansas State

If this is valid, I'm willing to bet that we have a close approximation of the obverse side of the coin.

So we will get Tech,Houston,Baylor, KState and likely the most unfavorable of those (If not all) on the road. The Big 12 striking a balance between squeezing the last dollar, answering the pleadings of the "left behind" to get one more sellout, and screwing us over wherever the opportunity avails itself.

18 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

One premise is that, since announcing departure, the departing schools have been penalized statistically significantly more often than have their opponents

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen that, just a bunch of people whining about refs, as is the case within every fanbase in the country. Following that link that showed Texas accumulated, I think it was, 3 more penalties than their opponents over the course of the year... I'd be willing to bet that isn't statistically significant. 

42 minutes ago, markstanco said:

4b00df30-4119-43c4-876d-7e674a6923f2_tex

Lack of booze aside, I think a trip to Provo for a game could be a good time.  It's a beautiful setting and I'm sure the Mormons are decent hosts.  There's like 3 bars in town and I'm sure the ISU attendees will pack them and then uber up to the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That wouldn’t absolve Texas of it’s financial commitments and responsibilities though. 

and it would be effectively a scrimmage year. 

What? Yes. I was saying Texas should pay early penalty leave and play a better schedule than the trash ass big xii will give them. The big xii schedule is effectively a bunch of scrimmages. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

What? Yes. I was saying Texas should pay early penalty leave and play a better schedule than the trash ass big xii will give them. The big xii schedule is effectively a bunch of scrimmages. 

I donno man, I want to kick Tech, Baylor, and Okie Lite in the teeth on the way out. Leaving a gaping asshole where Cougar High used to be would be good too. I also believe we have Mormon demons to exorcise. As long as we win most of these scrimmages it will be a fun fuck you farewell tour

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, B00M said:

I donno man, I want to kick Tech, Baylor, and Okie Lite in the teeth on the way out. Leaving a gaping asshole where Cougar High used to be would be good too. I also believe we have Mormon demons to exorcise. As long as we win most of these scrimmages it will be a fun fuck you farewell tour

Winning out on this schedule doesn't even get a playoff berth. 

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There's like 3 bars in town and I'm sure the ISU attendees will pack them and then uber up to the game.

I know you are kidding about the 3 bars, but Utah in Provo, SLC, and Park Cities has some excellent micros. Hard liquor stores shut down at 7P so plan accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

That was before it was Cougar high, BYU UCF and Cincinnati 

Well we're not playing all 4 of those this season. We'll play two of those, probably Houston and BYU. If we win out in the Big 12 and our only loss is Alabama, we're going into the playoffs. But shit, how about we just worry about winning this shitty conference first, something we haven't done in 13 years. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I know you are kidding about the 3 bars, but Utah in Provo, SLC, and Park Cities has some excellent micros. Hard liquor stores shut down at 7P so plan accordingly. 

Provo proper has very few bars from what I can gather on Google maps.

Greater Utah has some exceptional micro brews.  SLC is a different planet than Provo.

The Coug High game will be at Reliant. When single game tickets go on sale I don't expect them to do what TCU did in 2022 to slow sales for visiting teams that travel well Like OU, Tech and OSU. UH will gladly let the Horns fans buy all the tickets, which they will. Lots of UT fans in Houston will be glad to have a game in town. Don't disparage this road trip. Yes, UH is way beneath UT. But Burnt Orange will fill the stands and the optics will be hard to deny.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They contracted a company to hastily build temporary bleachers for Texas fans, which failed upon inspection.   Rather than move the game to a functional stadium (Rice, NRG) they offered our fans a chance to watch the game from inside their GYM on TV.  That is correct. Texas fans who bought a ticket were allowed to drive to Houston to watch the game on TV.   This fuck up and their refusal to correctly address the issue ended our relationship with them.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Nivek said:

They contracted a company to hastily build temporary bleachers for Texas fans, which failed upon inspection.   Rather than move the game to a functional stadium (Rice, NRG) they offered our fans a chance to watch the game from inside their GYM on TV.  That is correct. Texas fans who bought a ticket were allowed to drive to Houston to watch the game on TV.   This fuck up and their refusal to correctly address the issue ended our relationship with them.  

Why wouldn't they just play the damn game at their normal stadium?  I get that it's small and all that, but they could jack ticket prices through the roof and probably have much better optics and none of the ensuing shit show you're describing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

The Coug High game will be at Reliant. When single game tickets go on sale I don't expect them to do what TCU did in 2022 to slow sales for visiting teams that travel well Like OU, Tech and OSU. UH will gladly let the Horns fans buy all the tickets, which they will. Lots of UT fans in Houston will be glad to have a game in town. Don't disparage this road trip. Yes, UH is way beneath UT. But Burnt Orange will fill the stands and the optics will be hard to deny.

You don't move to a big conference then move your home game against a big time conference opponent to the nearby NFL stadium. It will be played at their home stadium. They will exactly want to limit the amount of Texas fans that they can. They lose control over ticketing when they go outside their stadium. They don't want to be embarrassed with a massive Texas turn out at Reliant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

If it's at Reliant, I'll be there...