Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You don't move to a big conference then move your home game against a big time conference opponent to the nearby NFL stadium. It will be played at their home stadium. They will exactly want to limit the amount of Texas fans that they can. They lose control over ticketing when they go outside their stadium. They don't want to be embarrassed with a massive Texas turn out at Reliant. 

Exactly what I'd think.  They're going to view this as a marquee showcase.  Playing it in an NFL stadium just to sell a few more tickets is Mickey Mouse as hell.

5 minutes ago, B00M said:

Already drunk? Respeck

Also curious what 9 teams we are going to somehow schedule in January 2023 for the season that starts in 7 months, outside of our non-conference schedule, by just declaring ourselves independent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Exactly what I'd think.  They're going to view this as a marquee showcase.  Playing it in an NFL stadium just to sell a few more tickets is Mickey Mouse as hell.

It being "Mickey Mouse as hell" solidifies my contention that UH will indeed do just that. I contend that they will try and have at least one game a year at reliant. Tech has played them at Reliant the last couple of times they hosted Tech. And they will probably try and host other schools that travel well like OSU and I bet BYU can get a lot of polygomists to Reliant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also curious what 9 teams we are going to somehow schedule in January 2023 for the season that starts in 7 months, outside of our non-conference schedule, by just declaring ourselves independent. 

We’ll mudhole Huston Tillotson, Concordia, and National American University on our way to an undefeated season and an exciting bowl game against ourselves at DKR! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It wasn't a conference game, but in 2016 when Houston hosted OU, it was at Reliant.

I'd be surprised if Houston doesn't play Texas at Reliant.  32,000 more seats equals a lot of cash, even with paying rent for the place.

No way.  It will be at their little on campus stadium.

16 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Bohemian Brewery (between SLC and Provo) looks like something you may like. The food there is great.  

There's also a great micro brewery a few miles to the south in Springville or Mapleton.

Edit:  Strap Tank Brewery in Springville.  There's also one in Lehi over by where Footloose was filmed.

Edited by FartingDreamer

I'm assuming we don't escape the Big 12 this year. So here are the assumptions I've been making for my hotel planning. 9/2 is Rice 9/9 is Bama and 9/16 in Wyoming and unlikely to change. 10/13 should be OU. 10/20 is F1 (good luck getting a room if you haven't already booked). Probably a game after Thanksgiving 11/24 (maybe they will even screw us with a short week). Everything else is a guess for me, but I'm assuming we will get no consideration for scheduling cadence, so long road stretches or home stretches are a possibility.  

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well since this is a fantasy scenario based on unicorn and wizard logic you can just make up some.

A good exercise for our quidditch program to work out for us.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Well we're not playing all 4 of those this season. We'll play two of those, probably Houston and BYU. If we win out in the Big 12 and our only loss is Alabama, we're going into the playoffs. But shit, how about we just worry about winning this shitty conference first, something we haven't done in 13 years. 

Heard this morning on The Horn 104.9, that they expected Texas to lose two Big 12 opponents, and pick up two of the new additions, but they could not confirm that....if they did that, then you'd think that's how they'd do all the teams.....guess we'll see shortly.

OU schedule:
Non conference: Arkansas State (H) SMU (H) Tulsa (A)
Home: UCF TCU West Virginia Iowa State
Road: BYU Cincinnati Kansas Oklahoma State
Neutral: Texas
Do Not Play: Texas Tech Houston Baylor Kansas State

Sucks for K State. They lose a free win.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

What do you have against going to Provo? If it fits the pattern of other teams playing the newbs, some home, some away, seems to be about right. The conference shouldn't be out to screw either UT or OU over, but also don't need to show special treatment to avoid matchups the fans don't like. I've said it before, fans are fans, but administrators are grownups and will generally be professional (and I always point out that aggy is the exception).

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well at least BYU has to come to Austin. As for the UH game, are we going to play them at NRG or will we play them at TDECU with added make-shift bleachers to accommodate? 

Read the last 2 pages for the debate 

what a dogshit home schedule: Rice, Wyoming, Kansas, Kansas State, BYU, and Texas Tech?  I mean I guess the Red Raiders one more time, and BYU is a name, and K-State is coming off a great season.  I dunno, just seems lame  \

Skip OK-State, WVU, Cincinnati, UCF.  Road trip slate looks fun though if you enjoy the urban donut of Houston and East Waco.  I keed.  TCU for old time's sake, 'Bama, and hopefully my return trip to Iowa State from a decade ago (had a blast).  

Well at least BYU has to come to Austin. As for the UH game, are we going to play them at NRG or will we play them at TDECU with added make-shift bleachers to accommodate? 

Those pissant little fucks didn’t sell their collective soul to get Texas at home so that they could flip it over to NRG. It’ll be played in their high school stadium

2 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Will we play a ranked team at home? Wouldn't bet on it, but KSU could be I guess.

Texas Tech and KSU are both on early Top 25 lists.  But unfortunately, they're both late in the season so they may not be ranked by then. 

About how I expected the schedule to shake out. We’ve known for a while that UH would be a road game and I figured ISU//WVU would be a coin flip for the other spot. Little surprised that OSU didn’t replace one of the Kansas schools. BYU as a home conference game is fine…Cincy might have been more interesting though since I don’t believe we’ve ever played them.

All in all, not a bad schedule for 2023…we should be able to make hay with this.

I expect we will hear some other announcements in the days and weeks ahead about officially going to the SEC in 2024 and a revised non-conf schedule to include whatever we agreed to with  Fox.