Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Just now, PencilPusher said:

About how I expected the schedule to shake out. We’ve known for a while that UH would be a road game and I figured ISU//WVU would be a coin flip for the other spot. Little surprised that OSU didn’t replace one of the Kansas schools. BYU as a home conference game is fine…Cincy might have been more interesting though since I don’t believe we’ve ever played them.

All in all, not a bad schedule for 2023…we should be able to make hay with this.

I expect we will hear some other announcements in the days and weeks ahead about officially going to the SEC in 2024 and a revised non-conf schedule to include whatever we agreed to with  Fox.

BYU coming here makes sense. 2011 and 2014 there were a shitload of BYU fans at DKR, so they either travel well or there are just a ton of mormons in Texas.  Just hope Taysom Hill doesn't have any more eligibility left. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas Tech and KSU are both on early Top 25 lists.  But unfortunately, they're both late in the season so they may not be ranked by then. 

At this point let’s just make sure we do what we gotta do and are ranked and in the playoff conversation 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

WVU would have been an automatic win. They are going to be so bad next year and it would have been nice to have that be one of the conference road games.

Felt like, if we were getting UH and BYU, we weren't going to see Cincy or UCF barring a shit ton of conference fuckery, so it was going to be ISU/WV as return trips from last year and I'm sure ISU lobbied harder for us. 

I noticed we play KSU on a Friday night and not Thanksgiving weekend. I'm not a fan. For all the consternation about who gets treated how, OU and I think UT always avoided midweek games outside of Thanksgiving weekend. OU's excuse was always about traffic, like Norman is the only city in the conference that has traffic on Friday afternoons.

• Haha 1

Texas just needs to win enough to be top 2 in the conference.

…and will be lucky to do that.

Lot’s of flux here in the league. It’ll be wide open. TExas will have one of the more talented teams. Not the best coached.

My top team has to be KSU going into the season. 

Crazy to think that maybe 8 of the 14 teams have a real shot at making the championship. One could argue that 9 or 10 have a shot.

That’s pretty wild.

As much as I already want the SEC and to be in the SEC, this season will be fun. This league will be fun.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

The Coug High game will be at Reliant. When single game tickets go on sale I don't expect them to do what TCU did in 2022 to slow sales for visiting teams that travel well Like OU, Tech and OSU. UH will gladly let the Horns fans buy all the tickets, which they will. Lots of UT fans in Houston will be glad to have a game in town. Don't disparage this road trip. Yes, UH is way beneath UT. But Burnt Orange will fill the stands and the optics will be hard to deny.

Nope.  They'll want it at their newish stadium.   And I'm fine with that.  I hate sterile NFL stadiums.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m indifferent on Houston but so fucking glad our football program never has to go to Lubbock again. 

I moved from Houston to SA a couple of years ago. This will give me a reason to go back and visit family and friends.

Hit up Laredo Taquaria Saturday morning.

Hit up El Tiempo Friday night for filet fajitas.

Brunch at Hugo’s Sunday morning…..

MAybe I’ll get some DimSom  before the game as it won’t be season for Viet Cajun crawfish. I assume we’ll be a night game.

Just have to figure out what to do about dinner if it isn’t. Killens? IDK.

Post game at the Men’s Club, though.

actually, as i look at it, cincinnati is the team that benefits the most.  they avoid the two purple teams in the conference final game last year, texas, and tech.

edit: okie state plays all four noobs and dropped all four previous big 12 texas teams.  what in the ever loving fuck? are they running conference admin or something?

Edited by sidis

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

ou got some seriously favorable treatment.  they get three of the noobs and drop kstate, baylor, and tech who all beat them last year.

I thought y'alls beef was to avoid the newbs. Or was that just UT? My guess is OU fans aren't happy that they got 3 of them.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Houston is the school I'm looking forward to the least of the new members.  I imagine them having all the qualities I loathe about Texas (arrogance and insularity) and none of the qualities I love about Texas (gregariousness, passionate attachment to their cause).  Tilman Fertitta seems like the classic big money small dick character.  Their stadium looks nice, but I just don't see them giving a shit unless they're having a really superb year, and then they'll be annoying as fuck only to disappear the second they trail off.

Maybe this site's collective disdain for them has rubbed off, but the other 3 schools have much more passionate and consistently supportive fanbases.

Watch who you are calling gregarious asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I thought y'alls beef was to avoid the newbs. Or was that just UT? My guess is OU fans aren't happy that they got 3 of them.

i would happily trade games against noobs vs. keeping virtually any existing team besides maybe kansas or iowa state.

at houston for texas = requirement that someone post pic of 2002 temporary stands.

Edited by sidis

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Is the title game still the two best records? Seems odd since no round robin.

Each team pulls out their dick and stretches it really far.

Foreskin does not count.

Whoever has the longest gets a 2 second head start for the sac race…. Which is where you run a 40 yard dash with an exposed scrotum.

As you run, a representatives from the other team use air soft rifles to shoot at your exposed balls.

The winning teams advance in a single elimination tournament.

The final two teams then play a best of 3 grego Roman wrestling match whilst wearing a protective suit worn by the police when they are training the K-9 unit.

The winner then advances to the title game.

The team with the best conference record is then slotted in as the ‘away’ team.

Super weird rules IMO. But what else can you do with 14 teams and no round robin?

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What do you have against going to Provo? If it fits the pattern of other teams playing the newbs, some home, some away, seems to be about right. The conference shouldn't be out to screw either UT or OU over, but also don't need to show special treatment to avoid matchups the fans don't like. I've said it before, fans are fans, but administrators are grownups and will generally be professional (and I always point out that aggy is the exception).

Taysom Hill.. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, 'stache said:

I thought he was in New Orleans now, 40 years old and banging hoors.

Wasn’t he 40 years old when we played him?

Dude had 6 or 7 years of eligibility before the revised redshirt and before covid. Not to mention his 2 year mission.

A trailblazer 

• Hook 'Em 1