Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Some of the teams we have historically had trouble with over the last 20 years do not scare me this year. KState, IA State, TCU, Tech, etc. The bigger and better we get on the lines of scrimmage, the worse it bodes for those guys. We absolutely mashed KSU and IA State up front last year, and had we been able to run the ball at all on TCU we win that game, as bad as the offense played. 

Left behind NCs claimed:

OSU: 1946- bogus claim. Army was far better and everyone at the time knew it. 
TCU: 1935, 1938- legit

UCF: 2017- bogus

BYU:1984- ehh, legit claim, based on the system at the time, but I don’t know that they would have won any major conference 

Any others?

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

Left behind NCs claimed:

BYU:1984- ehh, legit claim, based on the system at the time, but I don’t know that they would have won any major conference 

Any others?

UCF won’t it all pussy. Don’t be so obtuse 

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

Left behind NCs claimed:

Any others?

1984 BYU is about like John David Crow’s Heisman. It may not be in Make A Wish territory, but it’s a short walk at most. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, statsman said:

Left behind NCs claimed:

Any others?

1990 Colorado 

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

NCAA claims it's legit.

Yeah it also says OU is the 2003 champions despite two losses and not even being its conference champ.

But it seems pretty clear it is just saying that such and such poll or computer program is saying such and such program as the champ, rather than endorsing or recognizing it. The NCAA doesn't recognize a FBS Champ.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Nope.  They'll want it at their newish stadium.   And I'm fine with that.  I hate sterile NFL stadiums.

University of Houston Football's inaugural season in the Big 12 Conference will feature visits to TDECU Stadium from in-state rivals TCU and Texas......

Yep, UH confirms game not at NRG Stadium. 

3 minutes ago, Balcones said:

I see.  I thought we left them behind.  

Maybe I don't understand the definition of leaving somebody behind. The only people leaving CU behind are USC and UCLA to my understanding of English.

Edited by Valmy77

37 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I thought y'alls beef was to avoid the newbs. Or was that just UT? My guess is OU fans aren't happy that they got 3 of them.

Nope, I was very pleased with the schedule. Two new away games that we will go to. Don’t have to play 3 teams that beat us last year. I feel like it worked out well for the final year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

WVU would have been an automatic win. They are going to be so bad next year and it would have been nice to have that be one of the conference road games.

Yep.  @ ISU a week before Thanksgiving will probably be miserable weather and we haven't done well in Aimes.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, field said:

Looks like we get to play on the road at Houston and TCU after each of those teams are coming off a Thursday game.   

We also get Baylor on the road the week after they play Long Island which is essentially a bye week. Really, Baylor? Long Island? Come the fuck on. We can't get out of this conference fast enough.

They also stuck us the latest day possible to play Iowa State in what could/should be terrible weather. 

I suppose it could be worse and we do only leave the state once in conference. Whatever. There isn't one game on the conference schedule that I'm truly looking forward to outside of OU. Maybe BYU is semi-interesting? Other than that, meh. I repeat, we can't get out of this conference fast enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

BYU coming here makes sense. 2011 and 2014 there were a shitload of BYU fans at DKR, so they either travel well or there are just a ton of mormons in Texas.  Just hope Taysom Hill doesn't have any more eligibility left. 

There are a ton of LDS in Texas, especially in DFW (and especially in Collin County), Houston and Austin.  with roughly about 800k+ in the state altogether based on church records. 

54 minutes ago, sidis said:

ou got some seriously favorable treatment.  they get three of the noobs and drop kstate, baylor, and tech who all beat them last year.

OU has never beaten us, hopefully the trend continues on 11/18 to 0-3 all-time.  We have their number for some reason.  

Edited by FartingDreamer

5 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I went to UH for my doctorate. The bolded part is absolutely true. I remember being astonished at how much the undergrads loathed Texas, considering these were kids who would have been born during the final years of the SWC or after it’s death, and there was no relationship between the schools throughout their lives. There was is a near-Aggie level inferiority complex with them.

50 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

I moved from Houston to SA a couple of years ago. This will give me a reason to go back and visit family and friends.

Hit up Laredo Taquaria Saturday morning.

Hit up El Tiempo Friday night for filet fajitas.

Brunch at Hugo’s Sunday morning…..

MAybe I’ll get some DimSom  before the game as it won’t be season for Viet Cajun crawfish. I assume we’ll be a night game.

Just have to figure out what to do about dinner if it isn’t. Killens? IDK.

Post game at the Men’s Club, though.

This sounds like the Jim Gaffigan bit about vacations...

“...Why don’t we eat something, then we’ll go get something to eat? Then we should see that thing we’re supposed to see; they probably have a snack bar, so we can get something to eat. But after that, we definitely gotta go out and get something to eat.”

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, field said:

On the bright side, you can get Chick Fil-A in TDECU.

38 minutes ago, B00M said:

This was the fucking around before almost finding out that day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

FYI — It’s been ~2 hours and neither Texas or OU Athletics have posted the schedule or updated their websites… 

Every other Big 12 school has posted the schedule.

They both retweeted the big 12’s tweet, and that’s the level of petty I’m here for because fuck this conference. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Air force 0-1

Byu 1-4

Minnesota 0-1

Ncst 0-1

Northwestern 0-1

Notre dame 3-9

Usc 2-5

Syracuse 0-2

Ucla 3-4

Va tech 0-1

Make it happen

Is this just a selective list of programs with whom we have a losing record? I know we have a losing record to Vanderbilt, and they're not listed. It makes me wonder if there are still others as well.

This sounds like the Jim Gaffigan bit about vacations...
“...Why don’t we eat something, then we’ll go get something to eat? Then we should see that thing we’re supposed to see; they probably have a snack bar, so we can get something to eat. But after that, we definitely gotta go out and get something to eat.”

Re: inferiority complex; having lived in Houston, that’s not specifically a UH thing. It’s a Houston thing. Maybe it’s all the aggy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I noticed we play KSU on a Friday night and not Thanksgiving weekend. I'm not a fan. For all the consternation about who gets treated how, OU and I think UT always avoided midweek games outside of Thanksgiving weekend. OU's excuse was always about traffic, like Norman is the only city in the conference that has traffic on Friday afternoons.

Looks like the league is going to lean into Farmageddon, which I love 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looks like the league is going to lean into Farmageddon, which I love 

What is this and what does it mean? Just two agriculture schools playing each other or is it something deeper? Or, do you just prefer when your school plays another "farm" school?

3 minutes ago, Droopy said:

What is this and what does it mean? Just two agriculture schools playing each other or is it something deeper? Or, do you just prefer when your school plays another "farm" school?

ISU/KSU is the longest running uninterrupted series in college football, allegedly.  Every year since WWI with no breaks ever.  It’s become a pretty bitter affair since the mid aughts.  The schools, towns, and fanbases are remarkably similar.  The Farmageddon nickname came from a KC newspaper when we did a neutral site game in Arrowhead in like ‘08.  Both sides loved it and ran with it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

ISU/KSU is the longest running uninterrupted series in college football, allegedly.  Every year since WWI with no breaks ever.  It’s become a pretty bitter affair since the mid aughts.  The schools, towns, and fanbases are remarkably similar.  The Farmageddon nickname came from a KC newspaper when we did a neutral site game in Arrowhead in like ‘08.  Both sides loved it and ran with it.

Themoreyouknow.gif

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is this just a selective list of programs with whom we have a losing record? I know we have a losing record to Vanderbilt, and they're not listed. It makes me wonder if there are still others as well.

There are a few others, but they are all SEC programs whom we have a chance of playing in the new conference, so I didnt list them here

1 hour ago, sidis said:

actually, as i look at it, cincinnati is the team that benefits the most.  they avoid the two purple teams in the conference final game last year, texas, and tech.

edit: okie state plays all four noobs and dropped all four previous big 12 texas teams.  what in the ever loving fuck? are they running conference admin or something?

Probably smart of the conference to try to help OSU as much as they can. That's a program that will get some benefit of the doubt from the national media, despite having a roster that looks like it could finish 14th in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We also get Baylor on the road the week after they play Long Island which is essentially a bye week. Really, Baylor? Long Island? Come the fuck on. We can't get out of this conference fast enough.

They also stuck us the latest day possible to play Iowa State in what could/should be terrible weather. 

I suppose it could be worse and we do only leave the state once in conference. Whatever. There isn't one game on the conference schedule that I'm truly looking forward to outside of OU. Maybe BYU is semi-interesting? Other than that, meh. I repeat, we can't get out of this conference fast enough.

ummm don't look at the SEC OOC scheduling

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, field said:

Looks like we get to play on the road at Houston and TCU after each of those teams are coming off a Thursday game.   

If that was part of the deal to get out the conference, great. My guess when I saw it was that the 12ish would call it an "oh why would you look at that-- didn't notice before" situation.