Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

6 hours ago, LTbear said:

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen that, just a bunch of people whining about refs, as is the case within every fanbase in the country. Following that link that showed Texas accumulated, I think it was, 3 more penalties than their opponents over the course of the year... I'd be willing to bet that isn't statistically significant. 

I don't know what games the LA Times report cited. I don't know whether their math was correct. I have not sifted through the internet to collect or verify data, for the most part. I do seem to recall that we had the same crew for the OSU and Baylor games this past year. The stats when we had that crew did look a bit suspect to me. I am open to whatever the numbers suggest.

Edited by Magus Ossis
missing "s"

12 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

That makes sense.  At least at the outset, the two biggest rivalries in the new Big 12 are Farmageddon and the Revivalry.  

Plenty more that could potentially take over now that OU/Texas and Bedlam are gone from the conference:

Kansas / KSU - Sunflower Showdown

OSU/Tech - who stole who's sign / both have horse riders after TDs

Tech/WVU - John Denver Bowl

Hell you could have a BYU / TCU / Baylor Holy Grail Cup. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

1 minute ago, UTEX_ME said:

Plenty more that could potentially take over now that OU/Texas and Bedlam are gone from the conference:

Baylor / UH - we both paid a lot to money to a rape enabler bowl

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/28/2023 at 8:44 PM, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  The big advantage for OU that people sleep on is the lack of regional recruiting competition within a 300 mile radius of campus.  If you're at Tennessee, you've got a lot of resources, and surrounding talent, but you've also got a lot of serious recruiting competition all around you.  UT and aggy are both over 300+ miles from Norman and those are the two closest recruiting peer schools that OU faces.  The SEC doesn't hurt that built-in advantage and probably helps OU with national recruits.

But there are also less recruits in that radius:

Knoxville 300 mile: 45m people

Norman 300 mile: 21m people 

For Oklahoma to reach 45m people, the radius needs to be 50% larger.   And when you draw the box bigger, you start to have more competition show up.

Tennessee - SEC Teams within 300 miles = 6 (and one of those is Vandy)

Oklahoma - SEC Teams within 450 miles = 6

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looks like the league is going to lean into Farmageddon, which I love 

ISU/KSU is the longest running uninterrupted series in college football, allegedly.  Every year since WWI with no breaks ever.  It’s become a pretty bitter affair since the mid aughts.  The schools, towns, and fanbases are remarkably similar.  The Farmageddon nickname came from a KC newspaper when we did a neutral site game in Arrowhead in like ‘08.  Both sides loved it and ran with it.

Pretty sure Bedlam has been played every year since 1911, and since 1904 only missed 1905 and 1909.

8 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Farmageddon is the only real rivalry left, except maybe BU/TCU. I'm sure someone will try and make OSU/Tech a rivalry game again. They tried to have us play annually at the Texas State Fair a week before or after OU/TX but we didn't want to lose a home game every other year (something about it being important to the Stillwater economy), and the fans weren't buying it as a real rivalry despite some fun video game offensive games in the early and mid 2000s. Maybe it'll work this time out of necessity. We probably have the most similarities, and not just their dumbass insistance that they invented people riding horses and hand pistols, and playing on grass, and the forward pass, all of which we stole from them, which just makes them so angry, while we give zero shits and just hope to win.

Edited by 'stache

ISU/KSU is the longest running uninterrupted series in college football, allegedly.  Every year since WWI with no breaks ever.  It’s become a pretty bitter affair since the mid aughts.  The schools, towns, and fanbases are remarkably similar.  The Farmageddon nickname came from a KC newspaper when we did a neutral site game in Arrowhead in like ‘08.  Both sides loved it and ran with it.

I really hate to be like this, but on our way out the door I kind of think we need to be honest.

Nobody gives a fuck about either ISU or KSU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I really hate to be like this, but on our way out the door I kind of think we need to be honest.

Nobody gives a fuck about either ISU or KSU.

I asked the question and @Al_4_ISU was nice enough to answer me. I truly didn't know what it specifically related to and I'm glad I have this info going forward. I'll miss ISU and KSU, as I respect both schools and most of the fans I've meet since they joined us in the creation of the Big XII. Both teams are a tough out and play hard. I'd take ISU to go with us in a heartbeat, but I get why that won't happen. I hope ISU or OSU win the conference the year after we leave it. While I'm hoping though, I hope Baylor collapses into a sinkhole... due to some construction site mishap involving Chip and/or Joanna while renovating another shitty Waco house. 

Edited by Droopy
Grammar or my keyboard sucks
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

On the flip side, we will be coming off our bye week when we play UH. Not so much of an advantage for them I would think.

Normally I would agree, but Sark thinks the bye week means we can't practice for 12 days.  

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

All those combined are almost 1/4 of the RRS. Lulz 

I really don’t have a problem with the schedule. It’s a shitty home schedule, but we expected that. It’s easier than I expected to be sure. 

I’m sure one Texas home game was Coug High’s big ask after they were told they’d have to eat the turd sandwich of entering the conference as a junior partner. I suspect the Cougs will be the Big 12’s Prop Up Pet Project. aggy first couple seasons in the SEC lite. The conference has to have a nice piece of thatTV market or they’re screwed. Joke is on you Big 12. The Cougs don’t have the money for football facilities and their fanbase is non-existent. Texas fans will pay the scalpers and it’ll 80-85 percent Texas fans at the game. I’m sure we’ll all laugh about it in a few years if we win. 

I don’t get the BYU game, but least it’s at home. The big loser is Okie State. They should be and probably are pissed about losing a game against Texas. 

No games against UCF and Cincy (sans Fickell now) is a big win. 

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

The Baylor matchup is already looking like a budding rivalry as we've played each other the last couple of seasons and we both won one and there is the religious / holy war aspect. With TCU we have history / beef with those guys from the MWC days. Looking forward to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Who will be the first FBS school with 100 wins over a foe (hesitate to say “rival”)? A few years ago, it looked like a race between Texas (over Baylor) or OU (over OSU). Now,…?

We’d be in the low 80’s against the Ags by now, if they hadn’t fled. At our pace, it could take 35 or so years to hit 100 now. That would put me in my mid-90s. We need a coach to go on a run like Royal to pull that in. 

Anybody else getting close at all? Not counting the Ivies?

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Who will be the first FBS school with 100 wins over a foe (hesitate to say “rival”)? A few years ago, it looked like a race between Texas (over Baylor) or OU (over OSU). Now,…?

We’d be in the low 80’s against the Ags by now, if they hadn’t fled. At our pace, it could take 35 or so years to hit 100 now. That would put me in my mid-90s. We need a coach to go on a run like Royal to pull that in. 

Anybody else getting close at all? Not counting the Ivies?

Alabama has 85 wins over Mississippi State.  Notre Dame has 79 wins over Navy, Michigan has 76 wins over Minnesota.  

OU would have been the one to do it (91 wins over OSU) and only take a loss about once a decade.

Edited by Surly Bevo

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Pretty sure Bedlam has been played every year since 1911, and since 1904 only missed 1905 and 1909.

Farmageddon is the only real rivalry left, except maybe BU/TCU. I'm sure someone will try and make OSU/Tech a rivalry game again. They tried to have us play annually at the Texas State Fair a week before or after OU/TX but we didn't want to lose a home game every other year (something about it being important to the Stillwater economy), and the fans weren't buying it as a real rivalry despite some fun video game offensive games in the early and mid 2000s. Maybe it'll work this time out of necessity. We probably have the most similarities, and not just their dumbass insistance that they invented people riding horses and hand pistols, and playing on grass, and the forward pass, all of which we stole from them, which just makes them so angry, while we give zero shits and just hope to win.

Bedlam has been interrupted since it’s start.  That’s the distinction.

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

But there are also less recruits in that radius:

Knoxville 300 mile: 45m people

Norman 300 mile: 21m people 

For Oklahoma to reach 45m people, the radius needs to be 50% larger.   And when you draw the box bigger, you start to have more competition show up.

Tennessee - SEC Teams within 300 miles = 6 (and one of those is Vandy)

Oklahoma - SEC Teams within 450 miles = 6

There is one SEC school in OU's 300 mile radius and Arkansas isn't a recruiting peer.  Oklahoma has ZERO recruiting peers (SEC or otherwise) inside a 300 mile radius of campus.  That's the advantage.  Unlike OU, Tennessee has Bama, Auburn, and Georgia (probably others too if I wanted to dig into it) in the same circle for them.  The surrounding population/talent advantage within the SEC footprint is greatly offset by the depth of high resources programs all crowded next to each other, competing for that talent.  OU doesn't have to deal with that.  Neither does Texas.  It's why the Longhorns can be down for a decade and continue landing Top 10 classes year after year.  OU's advantage isn't that strong but it's not far off.  There are foundational reasons that Oklahoma football is almost always good.  There's enough talent in OK, KS, MO, and DFW to keep OU's recruiting floor in the Top 15.

In addition, you  messed up OU's 450 mile circle.  If you give OU a 450 mile radius from campus, the only SEC schools are Arky, Mizzou, Texas, and aggy.  LSU is the next closest at 600+ miles away.  Two of those four in that 450 mile radius (Arky and Mizzou) are not OU recruiting peers.  Tennessee has Bama, Auburn, and Georgia within 300 miles and a LOT of other schools (Ohio State, Florida State, etc.) if you expand their radius out to 450 miles.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Holgorsen

dddd.thumb.png.ea22d04f39fc510286eee840f2322302.png

looks like someone got after the wiki edit on drunken dana's page

I was looking to see what team kicked the shit out of them last year with 77 points

Saturday
Nov. 5
SMU Football Schedule at SMU Mustangs Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Dallas, TX 7:00pm ETNFLN L 77-63

looking at that if Sark does not go for 100 he probably needs to be fired on the spot and Texas can move on to someone else

4 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

Yeah.  There's enough parity mixed with proximity that I think a lot of rivalries could emerge.  It'll be the most competitive conference in the country, top to bottom.  Gamblers are going to love the Big 12.

28 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

How in the hell was that safe?   

It wasn’t. Which is why the county inspector or whomever did not issue use permits. Which is why UH in their greed for our money didn’t issue refunds but rather told all the ticket holders to go to hoffeinz to watch the game on their screen. 

Allow me to preface this with agreement with what others have said - that the schedule does set up well for us to get to ~10 wins and there is nothing significantly wrong with it.  That said, I did notice a few anomalies:

UT's opponents:

- are home the week prior to playing UT 7 out of 9 times

- have Thurs night games for two of those prior games. One of them is TCU's game at TT, which is what, a 4 hr drive to Ft Worth? You can practically call my prior bullet 8 out of 9 then.

OU's opponents:

- are home the week prior to playing OU 7 out of 9 times ... and in the other two weeks, their opponent is coming off a bye

The B12 may not have flipped UT and OU off to their faces with this schedule, but it sure looks like they're trying to get us and OU with paper cuts.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I remember the first time I found Chick Fil A at a game. 2002 at North Carolina. If memory serves, my gf and I sat with @blacklab in the “lounge section” of our Southwest flight. /csb

Going to “He’s Not Here” was one of the best road trip choices ever. The downside is it made me unable to remember the name of the Italian place with the doorways so low it was like being in catacombs or something. 

9 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

There are a ton of LDS in Texas, especially in DFW (and especially in Collin County), Houston and Austin.  with roughly about 800k+ in the state altogether based on church records. 

OU has never beaten us, hopefully the trend continues on 11/18 to 0-3 all-time.  We have their number for some reason.  

don't forget the most important field trip during your biggest away game in 166 years:

https://goo.gl/maps/112A1VReAEkrmHeW6

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, camel at sea said:

There is one SEC school in OU's 300 mile radius and Arkansas isn't a recruiting peer.  Oklahoma has ZERO recruiting peers (SEC or otherwise) inside a 300 mile radius of campus.  That's the advantage.  Unlike OU, Tennessee has Bama, Auburn, and Georgia (probably others too if I wanted to dig into it) in the same circle for them.  The surrounding population/talent advantage within the SEC footprint is greatly offset by the depth of high resources programs all crowded next to each other, competing for that talent.  OU doesn't have to deal with that.  Neither does Texas.  It's why the Longhorns can be down for a decade and continue landing Top 10 classes year after year.  OU's advantage isn't that strong but it's not far off.  There are foundational reasons that Oklahoma football is almost always good.  There's enough talent in OK, KS, MO, and DFW to keep OU's recruiting floor in the Top 15.

In addition, you  messed up OU's 450 mile circle.  If you give OU a 450 mile radius from campus, the only SEC schools are Arky, Mizzou, Texas, and aggy.  LSU is the next closest at 600+ miles away.  Two of those four in that 450 mile radius (Arky and Mizzou) are not OU recruiting peers.  Tennessee has Bama, Auburn, and Georgia within 300 miles and a LOT of other schools (Ohio State, Florida State, etc.) if you expand their radius out to 450 miles.   

I wasn't saying Oklahoma won't be able to recruit.   I don't really imagine that's going to change much.   Top ten now, top ten later.  Winning drives that ranking more than anything else.   It was more that I don't think their isolation is a recruiting advantage.   They're isolated, because no one is around them, like, no people.  21m in 300 miles is pretty sparce.   Didn't run every school, but I'm confident Oklahoma will be the most "rural" (defined by people in 300miles, which is made up and stolen from your post) of all the SEC, and its window is only bigger than KState, Kansas and Tech in the current Big 12.

If we assume, just for a moment, that most of the top recruits are south of a line from North Carolina to Oklahoma and are pretty evenly distributed by population density, then Tennessee has an advantage in that they are in an area of a much higher population density than Oklahoma.  Yes, there are more schools closer, but there are more recruits closer too.   

So, yes, Oklahoma doesn't really have another SEC team playing right in their backyard, but to gather the same number of high end recruits, they need to travel further away to find them than Tennessee does.   To even the playing field then, we need to make Oklahoma's backyard 450 miles in radius around the campus, to Tennessee's 300.  When you do this, there about the same amount of SEC teams playing in that space.   

Again, I didn't say equal caliber.   They aren't the same for Tennessee either, they have Georgia and Bama, but they also have Kentucky and Vandy and South Carolina, which are a lot like Missouri, etc.  Oklahoma's backyard includes Texas and A&M, which, when you're focused on Texas recruiting, is a lot like going head-to-head with Bama and Georgia in your backyard.

Lastly, for driving miles or whatever, I used a population radius map that used census data by county and eyeballed the location of where the schools are   I'm with you on LSU, but Baton Rouge is just off the southern edge of the circle, but they do recruit heavily within it.   Call it five, or five and a half, or six, the point is the backyards are comparatively populated with people and SEC teams.

610207600_300mknoxville.png.097b8506bfbf8e4a1faa2eaa47182159.png

Knoxville, 300 mile radius, ~45m people...approximately 6 SEC schools.

25957372_450mnorman.png.d6ea1ac64e17b7859fdb1e1637f98777.png

Norman, 450 mile radius, ~45m people...approximately 5ish...let's go with ish.

For giggles, if you go 450m around Knoxville, there are 97m people.   Advantage Volunteers.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Going to “He’s Not Here” was one of the best road trip choices ever. The downside is it made me unable to remember the name of the Italian place with the doorways so low it was like being in catacombs or something. 

We flew in the day of the game but still ran into quite a few blue cups. 

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Alabama has 85 wins over Mississippi State.  Notre Dame has 79 wins over Navy, Michigan has 76 wins over Minnesota.  

OU would have been the one to do it (91 wins over OSU) and only take a loss about once a decade.

Under the current B10 schedule, Michigan played Minnesota five times in the last ten years. That will slow them down. 

I wonder if Bama will play MSU every year, in the new SEC schedule. 

That leaves ND and Navy. 79 wins for ND. I think we have 76 over the Ags. Got to get to it. 

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Nebraska has 91 wins over KU.  But haven't played since 2010. 

Nebraska probably wouldn't want to play KU right now, if I had to guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Under the current B10 schedule, Michigan played Minnesota five times in the last ten years. That will slow them down. 

I wonder if Bama will play MSU every year, in the new SEC schedule. 

That leaves ND and Navy. 79 wins for ND. I think we have 76 over the Ags. Got to get to it. 

24 years is a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

So what are/should be the trophies for these budding rivalries? 

Kansas/KSU - Easy/boring-bronzed sunflower.

OSU/Tech -Another easy one-get Tech to rework the boots they made for a rivalry they wanted but won't be using.

Tech/WVU - John Denver Bowl Trophy centered around a fuel selector valve. (I know it's in poor taste, but it's Surly and I'm iced/snowed in with nothing better to do)

BYU/TCU/ Baylor - I envision a trophy with some element contributed by each school. From BYU a deep hat with nothing in it and a pair of "magic" glasses, alternately some magic underwear and a bowl big enough to hold two years of food. From TCU maybe a plaque explaining that they are very Texan, not Christian anymore and barely a University. Ahh Baylor. Maybe a section of the trophy with a dead basketball player a gutted stray cat and a rape going on in the background while Art Briles and associates have their backs turned to it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

So what are/should be the trophies for these budding rivalries? 

Kansas/KSU - Easy/boring-bronzed sunflower.

OSU/Tech -Another easy one-get Tech to rework the boots they made for a rivalry they wanted but won't be using.

Tech/WVU - John Denver Bowl Trophy centered around a fuel selector valve. (I know it's in poor taste, but it's Surly and I'm iced/snowed in with nothing better to do)

BYU/TCU/ Baylor - I envision a trophy with some element contributed by each school. From BYU a deep hat with nothing in it and a pair of "magic" glasses, alternately some magic underwear and a bowl big enough to hold two years of food. From TCU maybe a plaque explaining that they are very Texan, not Christian anymore and barely a University. Ahh Baylor. Maybe a section of the trophy with a dead basketball player a gutted stray cat and a rape going on in the background while Art Briles and associates have their backs turned to it.

TCU/Baylor: Losing coach has to let a loved one get raped by an opposing player while Kendal Briles sits in the corner and laughs while counting his money.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3