Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Bedlam has been interrupted since it’s start.  That’s the distinction.

Ah, I read it as uninterrupted "since WWI" and bedlam predates and has bee uninterrupted since 1911. Only two interruptions between 1904 and 1911. Both streaks are impressive. I hate that Bedlam is going away, but fuck them and their cheating asses, they have no reason to be a blueblood except they started the slush fund when OSU was a basketball school and Coach/AD Henry Iba thought football would be a club sport for eternity and generally didn't gaf about football. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Kansas/KSU: Winner gets a bouquet of sunflowers and a big ass box of chocolate chip cookies, plus 20 gallons of milk.

BYU/Baylor: If BYU wins, Baylor has to display a book of Mormon in a prominent location on campus. If Baylor wins, same thing but it's a regular bible and not King James version.

KSU/ISU: Winner gets presented with 100 pounds of cornbread and two industrial sized tubs of butter.

OSU/Tech: The loser has to supply all of the clowns at the winner's next school rodeo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Ah, I read it as uninterrupted "since WWI" and bedlam predates and has bee uninterrupted since 1911. Only two interruptions between 1904 and 1911. Both streaks are impressive. I hate that Bedlam is going away, but fuck them and their cheating asses, they have no reason to be a blueblood except they started the slush fund when OSU was a basketball school and Coach/AD Henry Iba thought football would be a club sport for eternity and generally didn't gaf about football. 

Yeah, there are series that started earlier than Farmageddon, and series that have played more consecutive games.

But any of the series that have started earlier or played more consecutive games have taken a break for one reason or another since their inception.  Since the first matchup in 1917, ISU and KSU have played every single season, and that will likely continue for as long as college football exists.  I remember during the summer of 2020 when everything was up in the air just praying that no matter what happened in college football, 11 guys who go to KSU would line up against 11 guys from ISU and play a god damn football game.

Losing Bedlam sucks.  There's no way around it.  It's what college athletics is supposed to be about.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I wasn't saying Oklahoma won't be able to recruit.   I don't really imagine that's going to change much.   Top ten now, top ten later.  Winning drives that ranking more than anything else.   It was more that I don't think their isolation is a recruiting advantage.   They're isolated, because no one is around them, like, no people.  21m in 300 miles is pretty sparce.   Didn't run every school, but I'm confident Oklahoma will be the most "rural" (defined by people in 300miles, which is made up and stolen from your post) of all the SEC, and its window is only bigger than KState, Kansas and Tech in the current Big 12.

If we assume, just for a moment, that most of the top recruits are south of a line from North Carolina to Oklahoma and are pretty evenly distributed by population density, then Tennessee has an advantage in that they are in an area of a much higher population density than Oklahoma.  Yes, there are more schools closer, but there are more recruits closer too.   

So, yes, Oklahoma doesn't really have another SEC team playing right in their backyard, but to gather the same number of high end recruits, they need to travel further away to find them than Tennessee does.   To even the playing field then, we need to make Oklahoma's backyard 450 miles in radius around the campus, to Tennessee's 300.  When you do this, there about the same amount of SEC teams playing in that space.   

Again, I didn't say equal caliber.   They aren't the same for Tennessee either, they have Georgia and Bama, but they also have Kentucky and Vandy and South Carolina, which are a lot like Missouri, etc.  Oklahoma's backyard includes Texas and A&M, which, when you're focused on Texas recruiting, is a lot like going head-to-head with Bama and Georgia in your backyard.

Lastly, for driving miles or whatever, I used a population radius map that used census data by county and eyeballed the location of where the schools are   I'm with you on LSU, but Baton Rouge is just off the southern edge of the circle, but they do recruit heavily within it.   Call it five, or five and a half, or six, the point is the backyards are comparatively populated with people and SEC teams.

610207600_300mknoxville.png.097b8506bfbf8e4a1faa2eaa47182159.png

Knoxville, 300 mile radius, ~45m people...approximately 6 SEC schools.

25957372_450mnorman.png.d6ea1ac64e17b7859fdb1e1637f98777.png

Norman, 450 mile radius, ~45m people...approximately 5ish...let's go with ish.

For giggles, if you go 450m around Knoxville, there are 97m people.   Advantage Volunteers.

You're kind of skating past the essential point.  Tennessee will never come close to reaching its hypothetical recruiting ceiling because it's backyard is crowded with schools like Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Florida State, Ohio State, etc.  Oklahoma doesn't have that problem.  That's a huge advantage.  If DFW is in your backyard, you aren't "isolated."  Ames, Iowa is isolated.  

8 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Well, it’s been more than 24 hours. Texas and OU athletics still haven’t posted the schedule (other than the retweet) or updated their official websites to show 2023…

Good. Hopefully, they are trying to figure out how to not have to go through with it.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

So we're trying to leave early and Fox is still saying no.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/gonzagas-candidacy-pac-12s-future-texas-and-oklahoma-exit-plans-on-deck-with-big-12-brass-set-to-meet/

The Texas, Oklahoma situation

Texas and Oklahoma recently made an offer to the Big 12 and Fox to leave the league one year early for the SEC, sources told CBS Sports this week. It was rejected. The nature of the offer was not clear.

CBS Sports previously reported the Big 12 rightsholder would have to be made whole for losing the Longhorns and Sooners early from its programming lineup. That could involve a series of nonconference games involving both schools being played in Big 12 stadiums once Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC. 

Fox and ESPN hold the linear broadcast rights to the Big 12 through 2024-25. ESPN owns 63% of the value from the new $2.3 billion deal that begins in 2025. As such, it gets top picks with the four best football games each season, six of the top eight, eight of the top 12 and 12 of the top 20, according to SportsBusiness Journal. Fox, which owns the remaining 37% of the deal, receives 26 games per season. It is not clear whether Fox would get access to some of those ESPN picks if a deal was struck.

There was speculation that Tuesday's release of the 2023 Big 12 schedule was connected to the Texas-Oklahoma issue. In other words, nothing could happen until it was known when the programs would leave the league.

Not true. The league faced a deadline of early February from their rightsholders to get the schedule done. Fox and ESPN needed to start scheduling games themselves.

Meanwhile, time is running out for a potential early exit. As CBS Sports reported, Texas and Oklahoma want to leave early, but the complications are numerous.

The pair first made it known in August 2022 they wish to leave the Big 12 for the SEC at the conclusion of the 2023 season. For now, they are compelled by the current media rights deal to stay through the 2024 campaign before moving on.

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Lots of non-conference games in "Rivalry" week in the SEC.  GA v. Gtech comes to mind.  

Yeah and all of those have been scheduled for decades so it's easy to just renew/keep them going.

Typically P5 non-conference games are scheduled a decade or more in advance. I'm not sure why the hell it takes that long, but it does for whatever reason.

We have P5 schools on our non-conference schedule through the mid-2030s at this point. 

I think Bedlam football will happen again, but it will be some time after 2035 or so.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

So we're trying to leave early and Fox is still saying no.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/gonzagas-candidacy-pac-12s-future-texas-and-oklahoma-exit-plans-on-deck-with-big-12-brass-set-to-meet/

The Texas, Oklahoma situation

Texas and Oklahoma recently made an offer to the Big 12 and Fox to leave the league one year early for the SEC, sources told CBS Sports this week. It was rejected. The nature of the offer was not clear.

CBS Sports previously reported the Big 12 rightsholder would have to be made whole for losing the Longhorns and Sooners early from its programming lineup. That could involve a series of nonconference games involving both schools being played in Big 12 stadiums once Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC. 

Fox and ESPN hold the linear broadcast rights to the Big 12 through 2024-25. ESPN owns 63% of the value from the new $2.3 billion deal that begins in 2025. As such, it gets top picks with the four best football games each season, six of the top eight, eight of the top 12 and 12 of the top 20, according to SportsBusiness Journal. Fox, which owns the remaining 37% of the deal, receives 26 games per season. It is not clear whether Fox would get access to some of those ESPN picks if a deal was struck.

There was speculation that Tuesday's release of the 2023 Big 12 schedule was connected to the Texas-Oklahoma issue. In other words, nothing could happen until it was known when the programs would leave the league.

Not true. The league faced a deadline of early February from their rightsholders to get the schedule done. Fox and ESPN needed to start scheduling games themselves.

Meanwhile, time is running out for a potential early exit. As CBS Sports reported, Texas and Oklahoma want to leave early, but the complications are numerous.

The pair first made it known in August 2022 they wish to leave the Big 12 for the SEC at the conclusion of the 2023 season. For now, they are compelled by the current media rights deal to stay through the 2024 campaign before moving on.

Today Bobby Burton reported  important SEC move news may come out in next month or two.  His source is someone higher up at Texas...

On 1/31/2023 at 6:06 PM, Crockett said:

The Baylor matchup is already looking like a budding rivalry as we've played each other the last couple of seasons and we both won one and there is the religious / holy war aspect. With TCU we have history / beef with those guys from the MWC days. Looking forward to it.

BYU is a shit conference mate. The Big XII is about to FAAFO. You guys think you have Notre Dame level clout and it's so far from it. 

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, royiv said:

BYU is a shit conference mate. The Big XII is about to FAAFO. You guys think you have Notre Dame level clout and it's so far from it. 

Hell Rc never even offered em...

LOLz.  Nobody thinks BYU is the same type of draw/ influence as Notre Lame.

30 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Enjoy this meme while you can we inside the building now 

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

That fact that you think being in the B12 puts you inside the building is adorable... You just traded one glass ceiling for another. Enjoy the ride. The best thing you get to look forward to is that if the Pac 12 implodes like we expect you finally get to be in the same conference at Utah.

Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Lol you from Wyoming or New Mexico?

Nope. Houston. I just know enough about college sports to know what a shitty conference mate BYU is. They think they run shit, but in reality it's a shit school owned by a cult with delusional fans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Nope. Houston. I just know enough about college sports to know what a shitty conference mate BYU is. They think they run shit, but in reality it's a shit school owned by a cult with delusional fans.

Good thing we've never dealt with anything like that in the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I won't consider them a cult until they start chasing down ex-members and detractors and try and ruin their lives like these guys...

image.png

We'll have plenty of time to add some garbage OOC game in November once we join the SEC. 

No judging, there was a few year stretch awhile back where we'd pause in November and play UCF or some shit.  can't remember why, I guess when the teams started leaving the league.  

Our schedule is plenty salty next year.  Just gotta cobble together 10 wins somehow.  

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And what, go to 8 conference games? Why? So we can add another terrible OOC cupcake?

That extra conference game means half of the teams are guaranteed an extra loss each year.

It drags the records down, pushes some teams out of bowl eligibility and increases your risk of losing based on frequently playing the same teams.

it's why the sec has never left the 8 conference game format and why they play a cucpake in november. the rest of the conferences need to follow suit. its' schedule manipulation to give a conference the best possible record.

I would add - the 4th ooc game does not have to be a cupcake.

Edited by redswingline

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We'll have plenty of time to add some garbage OOC game in November once we join the SEC.

That's fine but I have never understood why the unbalanced schedules have rarely been discussed in the media. there is a clear advantage to playing fewer conference games than anyone else, and a cupcake in november. it's like an extra bye week

But it will be and that's why the SEC has FCS weekend. Every team will schedule an easy win at home. They're not adding great home and home matchups. Pretty sure only one conference now does 8 conference games. ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12 all do 9 conference games. The SEC is supposedly going to 9 conference games when Texas and OU arrive. Saban has been pushing for it for years. 

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I won't consider them a cult until they start chasing down ex-members and detractors and try and ruin their lives like these guys...

image.png

but they do.

the first step is to lose your temple recommend.

next is disfellowship.

finally, there is excommunication.

at each stage they run a series of intervention events with all of the people you know, your relatives, your co-workers, your neighbors, your classmates

https://www.exmormon.org/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, royiv said:

houston is worse. they bring no tv market.

at least byu brings something tangible in that respect and it will only continue to grow, since joseph smith required his followers to have many offspring to spread his made up word

• Hook 'Em 1