Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, redswingline said:

houston is worse. they bring no tv market.

at least byu brings something tangible in that respect and it will only continue to grow, since joseph smith required his followers to have many offspring to spread his made up word

From Houston. I didn't go to Houston. That said, at least Houston fans know their place. Never met a Houston fan while living in Houston that think they're God's gift to athletics or academics.

• Fuck You 1

in the 1800s utah was considered to be a territory of religious terrorists, and multiple acts of congress spanning 30 years were required to break theocratic control in order for utah's admission as a state 49 years after The Standard of The Kingdom of God was first raised on Signal Peak on 25 July 1847....

from frank leslie's illustrated newspaper in 1882, 25 years after the mountain meadows job:

799515062_frankleslie1882.thumb.jpg.d61249f1a8d0afe23767861b2dc730db.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, royiv said:

From Houston. I didn't go to Houston. That said, at least Houston fans know their place. Never met a Houston fan while living in Houston that think they're God's gift to athletics or academics.

I worked with a byu grad on a project. super nice, humble guy. I've also run into some byu grads at a couple games. never felt a tinge of douche or gods gift or anything from any of them.

i guess there are douche bags everywhere, though and you must have run into them.

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I said "chase them down and try to ruin their lives." If you have stepped up and said "i'm out" how bad is excommunication? I'll grant you that if you stay in Utah you might be persona non grata, but you'd probably be okay if you move to say, Port Aransas. Either that or your can find some small hotel in south Utah, you know just a small mom and pop, and mom and mom and mom.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

https://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm

"Here is a summary of important facts about the Mormon church, its doctrine, and its history that the missionaries will probably not tell you."

Sooo, in college I was friends with this gal and unbeknownst to me, she grew up in the LDS church. one night we were hanging out and i was bagging on the premise of the LDS church and book of mormon.  The golden plates, how jo smith found them in the hills of new york, the premise that indigenous americans created the plates but he was the only one that could interpret them using a seeing stone. oh and no one has ever seen the plates and he was the only one that could connect with angels to see them. sounds legit. anyways i just railed on it and felt super bad when, after i was done railing,  she told me she grew up in the LDS church lol

we laugh about it now and are still friends, thankfully.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, redswingline said:

I worked with a byu grad on a project. super nice, humble guy. I've also run into some byu grads at a couple games. never felt a tinge of douche or gods gift or anything from any of them.

i guess there are douche bags everywhere, though and you must have run into them.

Sounds like your sample size is pretty small. I lived in AZ (huge LDS population in the East Valley of Phoenix) and spent a ton of time working in Utah and Eastern Idaho. They become insufferable like aggy when you deal with them in large numbers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Sooo, in college I was friends with this gal and unbeknownst to me, she grew up in the LDS church. one night we were hanging out and i was bagging on the premise of the LDS church and book of mormon.  The golden plates, how jo smith found them in the hills of new york, the premise that indigenous americans created the plates but he was the only one that could interpret them using a seeing stone. oh and no one has ever seen the plates and he was the only one that could connect with angels to see them. sounds legit. anyways i just railed on it and felt super bad when, after i was done railing,  she told me she grew up in the LDS church lol

No problem as long as you weren’t railing on the unbelievable tenets of the religion while believing that Jesus rose from the dead, was a miracle virgin birth, turned water into wine, or fed a thousand people with a loaf of bread.  Or to put a point on it for a large group, believe that the wafers and wine offered up in thousands of churches, once blessed, actually becomes the blood and flesh of Christ- and is then consumed by millions of worshipers. 

because all of that also sounds super legit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, royiv said:

From Houston, live in Houston, and while this is broadly true have come across some UH fans/alumni who are truly insufferable in thinking they are gods gift to college athletics. Had the "we want into the Big 12 but they skurred of us" drum beating back since at least the Case Keenum days, if not before. Was rather fun to get to sit in Robertson year after Keenum left and watch Fran and my new to FBS football TXST Bobcats take a big giant dump on the beginning of their 2012 season, which If I remember correctly some UH fan told me pregame they were looking forward to a NY6 Bowl berth that year...oops.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Sounds like your sample size is pretty small. I lived in AZ (huge LDS population in the East Valley of Phoenix) and spent a ton of time working in Utah and Eastern Idaho. They become insufferable like aggy when you deal with them in large numbers. 

I have worked with some professionally.  They are either the best co-workers in the world or the worst who will cut your throat to move ahead at their first chance.  That has been my experience, at least.  Got zero against them as many are wonderful.  But there aren't any I would say are average as colleagues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 6:54 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'll be that guy.  I was at that game.  I hope we beat them so bad their permanent stands fall down.

20 years ago tonight, the Houston vs. Texas football game - Cougar Football  - Coogfans

They'll rebuild the rickety-dangerous-bleachers JUST for the Texas game, "declare them unsafe" an hour before game time so no one can sit in them AGAIN, and then those cougar high pussies will have cops enforcing that no Texas fans are allowed to sit in the permanent stadium seating -- just like the shit they always pulled in the Dome to force Texas fans to sit in the endzone seats, the worst in the place, while the best seats sat empty for the ENTIRE GAME with ushers guarding them for the entire game to make sure the Texas fans didn't move down into them. I'm certain you olds remember that shit also.

THAT is how Petty that black-hole-POS commuter-high-school is!

• Hook 'Em 6

36 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

They'll rebuild the rickety-dangerous-bleachers JUST for the Texas game, "declare them unsafe" an hour before game time so no one can sit in them AGAIN, and then those cougar high pussies will have cops enforcing that no Texas fans are allowed to sit in the permanent stadium seating -- just like the shit they always pulled in the Dome to force Texas fans to sit in the endzone seats, the worst in the place, while the best seats sat empty for the ENTIRE GAME with ushers guarding them for the entire game to make sure the Texas fans didn't move down into them. I'm certain you olds remember that shit also.

THAT is how Petty that black-hole-POS commuter-high-school is!

Can I give you all my rep for the day? Good post

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm going to be absolutely wearing out the "soaking" and "Provo push" jokes now the BYU is in the conference.

I had to look up Provo push.. lol. 

“There are two kinds of men in life.. the soaker, or the pusher.”

-Mormon dad probably

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have worked with some professionally.  They are either the best co-workers in the world or the worst who will cut your throat to move ahead at their first chance.  That has been my experience, at least.  Got zero against them as many are wonderful.  But there aren't any I would say are average as colleagues.

AS have I.  Definitely favor their own.  Most are very disciplined, financially shrewd and smart.  Very conservative group though and will play politics and stab you in the back without blinking.  Buttoned up, not sure you can joke around with them too much.  I'll pass overall.

3 hours ago, royiv said:

It somehow makes it worse that they don't drink beer or cuss. My mom's side of the family are huge Utah fans so by proxy I also support the Utes. Dealing with the zoobs (byu fans) is no fun.

Edited by RoyalBevo21

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

But it will be and that's why the SEC has FCS weekend. Every team will schedule an easy win at home. They're not adding great home and home matchups. Pretty sure only one conference now does 8 conference games. ACC, Big 10, and Pac 12 all do 9 conference games. The SEC is supposedly going to 9 conference games when Texas and OU arrive. Saban has been pushing for it for years. 

ACC only does 8 conference games due to the ones with SEC rivalries and the 5 built in ND games each year.

16 hours ago, redswingline said:

pooper?

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I don't know any BYU grads, so this is all I have:

I-can-t--I-m-mormon-mormons-332318_400_4

I was a student when this came out.  I remember the backlash and letters to the editor and opinion pieces in The Daily Universe (the student newspaper) about it.  Also came out around the same time as the Southpark episode with similar results.  

15 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They are like to do door to door sales too for home security systems and pest control.  

I did summer (door-to-door) sales back in 2002 in Cincinnati.  I think I knocked on more doors in one week, then I did on my entire mission in Utah.

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Vivent 

I sold for them back when they were APEX Alarm LLC and then APX and I  was a young and naive college student.  They would screw us out of much of our year end paychecks, so Vivint was built on dishonesty.  

• Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

I was a student when this came out.  I remember the backlash and letters to the editor and opinion pieces in The Daily Universe (the student newspaper) about it.  Also came out around the same time as the Southpark episode with similar results.  

I did summer (door-to-door) sales back in 2002 in Cincinnati.  I think I knocked on more doors in one week, then I did on my entire mission in Utah.

I sold for them back when they were APEX Alarm LLC and then APX and I  was a young and naive college student.  They would screw us out of much of our year end paychecks, so Vivint was built on dishonesty.  

I've read some stuff about Vivint getting in trouble for deceptive trade practices in a few states.    The sales guys that came by my home and yes they are always around my neighborhood in June were very nice guys and you could tell they did their tour of duty in the Mission field because they knew how to break the ice before getting to topic.   What do they do up there Provo?   Advertise the job as a summer job opportunity, give you a Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier and off to the market they want you selling?

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

This is dumb. Just loan OU some money with high interest, problem solved. 

As everyone has learned, it was never about either school paying out.  It was Fox wanting to broadcast Oklahoma and Texas games for the duration of their contract with the Big 12.  

Sounds like the confererence, ESPN and the schools were ready to end this thing.  Fox said otherwise.

• Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

As everyone has learned, it was never about either school paying out.  It was Fox wanting to broadcast Oklahoma and Texas games for the duration of their contract with the Big 12.  

Sounds like the confererence, ESPN and the schools were ready to end this thing.  Fox said otherwise.

This is infuriating.    For what?  Maybe two or three games each of the next two seasons on Fox?   I'm assuming we are going to be better record wise and have more games pushed to ESPN/ABC for prime time slots.   

19 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

From Houston, live in Houston, and while this is broadly true have come across some UH fans/alumni who are truly insufferable in thinking they are gods gift to college athletics. Had the "we want into the Big 12 but they skurred of us" drum beating back since at least the Case Keenum days, if not before. Was rather fun to get to sit in Robertson year after Keenum left and watch Fran and my new to FBS football TXST Bobcats take a big giant dump on the beginning of their 2012 season, which If I remember correctly some UH fan told me pregame they were looking forward to a NY6 Bowl berth that year...oops.

The Houston alums i know in O&G don't give a flying fuck about football unless they are completive. Then they will talk shit. Most fair weathered fans I have ever seen. 

29 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I've read some stuff about Vivint getting in trouble for deceptive trade practices in a few states.    The sales guys that came by my home and yes they are always around my neighborhood in June were very nice guys and you could tell they did their tour of duty in the Mission field because they knew how to break the ice before getting to topic.   What do they do up there Provo?   Advertise the job as a summer job opportunity, give you a Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier and off to the market they want you selling?

They recruit (and exploit) the students pretty heavily and put ads in the student papers.  

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This is infuriating.    For what?  Maybe two or three games each of the next two seasons on Fox?   I'm assuming we are going to be better record wise and have more games pushed to ESPN/ABC for prime time slots.   

From what has been described previously, Fox would be ok with both schools leaving in exchange for them to have future road games with Big 12 schools.  Now, how many games or what opponents your guess is as good as mine, but yeah, that's a hard pass.  

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

In the other thread they said it was 7 games.  Advertising dollars.  Love us or hate us, we pull eyes, even when we suck. And we've sucked for a while.

19 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I guess we’ll get one final trip to Lubbuttock in 2024

Wouldn't surprise me if we have trips to Lubbock, BYU, a final trip to Stoolwater and then maybe they force us into a late November game in Cincinnati just because.

And a craptastic home schedule of UH, Baylor, UCF.  Gotta make sure all the newbies get a shot at us before we leave. 

Our house is the first house down the street from the local Mormon church.  We were always the first stop for new student missionaries for 20 years until I invited a couple to join me on my patio to get drunk one Friday afternoon.  I think they finally got the message.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

They recruit (and exploit) the students pretty heavily and put ads in the student papers.  

I guess it's kind of like back in my day in the late 80's and early 90's, the ad in our student newspapers was for summer employment in Alaska.   Sounded appealing to escape the 100 + degree heat until they told you'd be fishing and not just for fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Pay whatever the fuck they want, there’s always a number.