Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought the the Big 12 adds were OK, but they’re going to want to give UCF back to the AAC in 5 years.   West Virginia raising hell about travel partners probably got UCF in. 

Not so sure Cincinnati will end up being that valuable to the B12 in a few years. 

Wvu never seemed like a good fit in the B12 either

Edited by LTtxfan
I suck editing
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought the the Big 12 adds were OK, but they’re going to want to give UCF back to the AAC in 5 years. 

West Virginia raising hell about travel partners probably got UCF in. 

Cincinnati is pretty close to WVU.  UCF is actually a bit further away from WVU than KU is.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I thought the the Big 12 adds were OK, but they’re going to want to give UCF back to the AAC in 5 years. 

I can't think of any conference where UCF makes sense.  That's is probably why they never stop changing conferences. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d give them all back if we knew the PAC  would collapse and the ACC would fracture. The 8 legacy XII plus UO, UW, FSU, Clem, Miami, and some others would be a stout third behind sec/big. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I’d give them all back if we knew the PAC  would collapse and the ACC would fracture. The 8 legacy XII plus UO, UW, FSU, Clem, Miami, and some others would be a stout third behind sec/big. 

Not sure the B12 would still be around if they hadn't added the four schools. BYU, UCF, UH and Cincy were the perfect combination of good enough to win some games and not big enough to expect an SEC/B1G invite.

I think OU/UT thought either the PAC would grab one of the irate 8 or WVU would jump to the ACC or KU would snag a B1G off their basketball history, and the conference would dissolve. ESPN wanted to kill off one of the conferences, and would have done some "projections" that would have sweetened the pot to get someone to grab a B12 leftover, and the conference would have dissolved, meaning the GOR would be moot and OU/UT could walk out for nothing. Aggy, by springing the info early, gave the B12 leftovers time to get a real commissioner and put together a viable future. 

Once the B12 got a commissioner, the P12 became the next target for destruction, and outsmarting the P12 is like beating Christopher Reeve at hopscotch. The P12 could have killed the B12 by making an offer to Tech/OkieLite, but they didn't, cause flyover country. If they had done it, it would have been to kill the B12, not add value, but they didn't see that they were the next ones in the cross hairs. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly if Big 12 can poach Washington/Oregon or FSU/Miami or Clemson + other and go to 16 that would automatically be the 3rd best conference and potentially better than BIG.

Agree. The B1G has OSU, Michigan, maybe Penn State, and a bunch of mediocre teams with big fan bases. It would be wishful thinking, but if the B12 got Oregon, Washington, Clemson and FSU, they could rename the conference, "Coast to Coast, Up All Night." Art Bell would have been proud. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Richard Kimball said:

Not sure the B12 would still be around if they hadn't added the four schools. BYU, UCF, UH and Cincy were the perfect combination of good enough to win some games and not big enough to expect an SEC/B1G invite.

I think OU/UT thought either the PAC would grab one of the irate 8 or WVU would jump to the ACC or KU would snag a B1G off their basketball history, and the conference would dissolve. ESPN wanted to kill off one of the conferences, and would have done some "projections" that would have sweetened the pot to get someone to grab a B12 leftover, and the conference would have dissolved, meaning the GOR would be moot and OU/UT could walk out for nothing. Aggy, by springing the info early, gave the B12 leftovers time to get a real commissioner and put together a viable future. 

Once the B12 got a commissioner, the P12 became the next target for destruction, and outsmarting the P12 is like beating Christopher Reeve at hopscotch. The P12 could have killed the B12 by making an offer to Tech/OkieLite, but they didn't, cause flyover country. If they had done it, it would have been to kill the B12, not add value, but they didn't see that they were the next ones in the cross hairs. 

Agree. The B1G has OSU, Michigan, maybe Penn State, and a bunch of mediocre teams with big fan bases. It would be wishful thinking, but if the B12 got Oregon, Washington, Clemson and FSU, they could rename the conference, "Coast to Coast, Up All Night." Art Bell would have been proud. 

Space Ghost has Coast to Coast trademarked. lol

• Haha 3

14 years ago on the original board when aggy started bleating about "standing offer" the following was postulated:

PAC South:

az

az state

0u

okie lite

sand aggy

The University

ucla

usc

everyone plays in LA every year

everyone plays in the State of Texas every year

it would have been the best division in college football

and it would have ended the madness

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

14 years ago on the original board when aggy started bleating about "standing offer" the following was postulated:

PAC South:

az

az state

0u

okie lite

sand aggy

The University

ucla

usc

HatersGonHate.jpg

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

PAC South:

az

az state

0u

okie lite

sand aggy

The University

ucla

usc

I was all for it but maybe espn finds another way to stop it, besides offering deloss the lhn

On 2/28/2023 at 12:28 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

PAC South:

az

az state

0u

okie lite

sand aggy

The University

ucla

usc

Meh

I remember reading about how UT had "a Baylor and a Tech problem" bc the PAC was reluctant to take either.

9 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Meh

I remember reading about how UT had "a Baylor and a Tech problem" bc the PAC was reluctant to take either.

That was largely just bluster and PTSD from Ann Richards holding everyone at gunpoint during the formation of the B12. As we saw in our SEC move, Baylor can't do shit unless they have an alum in the governors seat. Nobody gives a fuck about them. Tech was in the boat for the PAC, but they were kind of the school the PAC was holding their nose at to get Texas and A&M. I still say that if the PAC would have acted swiftly after we announced, Ok. State and Tech would be in the PAC today instead of the B12 and this whole thing looks completely different. 

Edited by Vertigo

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That was largely just bluster and PTSD from Ann Richards holding everyone at gunpoint during the formation of the B12. As we saw in our SEC move, Baylor can't do shit unless they have an alum in the governors seat.

No "have no clue what you're talking about" comment has been passed around sports message boards more than this one. Ann gave no shits what happened to Baylor, and has been quoted saying as much. Bullock was the one who helped Baylor (and Tech) during the formation of the Big XII. 

Edited by LTbear
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 12:28 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

PAC South:

az

az state

0u

okie lite

sand aggy

The University

ucla

usc

I hated it then and I still hate it now

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Meh

Nope. So someone from Ohio st inquired about us via email and I think it was powers who said “we had a tech problem”.   If it were baylor he would’ve said “we have a rape problem”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, LTbear said:

No "have no clue what you're talking about" comment has been passed around sports message boards more than this one. Ann gave no shits what happened to Baylor, and has been quoted saying as much. Bullock was the one who helped Baylor (and Tech) during the formation of the Big XII. 

This times one-fucking-billion. As soon as someone claims Ann Richards had fuck all to do w/ Baylor joining the BXII I know that they don't know shit about what happened at the end of the SWC/formation of the BXII.

Bob Bullock, David Sibley, Pete Laney and Rob Junnell were the Texas politicos who made sure Baylor and Tech didn't get left behind. Google is your friend. Ann didn't care one iota what happened to Baylor. Hell, if she was in Waco for any speaking engagement or official business at Baylor she was almost guaranteed to be wearing burnt orange or Longhorn jewelry. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This times one-fucking-billion. As soon as someone claims Ann Richards had fuck all to do w/ Baylor joining the BXII I know that they don't know shit about what happened at the end of the SWC/formation of the BXII.

Bob Bullock, David Sibley, Pete Laney and Rob Junnell were the Texas politicos who made sure Baylor and Tech didn't get left behind. Google is your friend. Ann didn't care one iota what happened to Baylor. Hell, if she was in Waco for any speaking engagement or official business at Baylor she was almost guaranteed to be wearing burnt orange or Longhorn jewelry. 

Yep, 100% on the money.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

There is BYU lore out there that BYU had a shot at joining the B12 back in the day, but that Richards kept us out for more Texas schools / Baylor.

If anyone here actually knows what really happened, then I am all ears. 

3 minutes ago, Crockett said:

There is BYU lore out there that BYU had a shot at joining the B12 back in the day, but that Richards kept us out for more Texas schools / Baylor.

If anyone here actually knows what really happened, then I am all ears. 

Richards did not care. At all. A Texas politician (Bullock) lobbied for Baylor and Tech. Otherwise the deal was just UT and A&M joining the Big 8. There was a pretty comprehensive article on it all a few years back, but I'm blanking on what magazine it was from. 

Edited by LTbear
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck the PAC. I'm glad we never went to that shit ass conference. You vacation nerds be damned!

I never understood equating a vacation destination with a fun college football road trip.

If you want to go to the mountains or the ocean, go to the mountains or the ocean.  If you want to go to a college football game with a great atmosphere, well, do that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I never understood equating a vacation destination with a fun college football road trip.

If you want to go to the mountains or the ocean, go to the mountains or the ocean.  If you want to go to a college football game with a great atmosphere, well, do that.

Why not enjoy both at the same time? I've had fun at every college sports trip I've made from Morgantown to Albuquerque, but if I have a chance at being in Boulder instead of Lubbock after a game is over then that's just all the better.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Some people want to do more than look at cornfields when game not being played. 
Maybe catch MLB game, eat a great restaurant, hang poolside in LA etc

Make a weekend of it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Some people want to do more than look at cornfields when game not being played. 
Maybe catch MLB game, eat a great restaurant, hang poolside in LA etc

Make a weekend of it. 

If you're just making a weekend of it, there ain't much room for non-game related activities.  I've traveled to a ton of road games, including Morgantown and Austin, and every one of them I end up exploring/soaking in the town/campus for 2 days and going home.  In my experience it's way more fun to go places where the locals are all in on the game.  I've had an absolute blast at Stillwater, Oklahoma; Manhattan, KS; and Ames, IA for game weekends.  I would never vacation in these places, but for a college football weekend, it's a fucking blast.

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Why not enjoy both at the same time? I've had fun at every college sports trip I've made from Morgantown to Albuquerque, but if I have a chance at being in Boulder instead of Lubbock after a game is over then that's just all the better.

There might be 10 schools in the country that combine a great game day atmosphere with a legitimate vacation destination.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There might be 10 schools in the country that combine a great game day atmosphere with a legitimate vacation destination.

Yeah and I want them in my conference if possible. 

We already have top notch destinations like Baylor and KSU so now all we need is CU and UW to finish it as the vacation conference.

• Haha 1

Ehh.  Give me engaged crowds and fanbases every day.  The Pac 12 and it's vacation spots are absolutely floundering as a college sports entity, while the flyover Big 12 is finding solid footing.

I love to go to the mountains, but I tend to do it when people aren't playing college sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Ehh.  Give me engaged crowds and fanbases every day.  The Pac 12 and it's vacation spots are absolutely floundering as a college sports entity, while the flyover Big 12 is finding solid footing.

I love to go to the mountains, but I tend to do it when people aren't playing college sports.

spacer.png

See you in November

• Hook 'Em 1