Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Just now, royiv said:

Prepare to be underwhelmed. Provo might be the most boring college town in America.

I noticed there's like one bar in the whole damn town.  It's not far from SLC, and it is a beautiful setting.

BYU's kind of a reverse of my general stance.  The town itself is probably pretty boring, but rather than spend the Friday bar hopping, I'd go for a hike.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I noticed there's like one bar in the whole damn town.  It's not far from SLC, and it is a beautiful setting.

BYU's kind of a reverse of my general stance.  The town itself is probably pretty boring, but rather than spend the Friday bar hopping, I'd go for a hike.

Utah County sucks unless you're a connoisseur of shitty chain restaurants and LaVell Edward has the lamest tailgate and gameday atmosphere in D1 football. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

It just dawned on me that I don't think I've ever watched a BYU game on TV during the day.  They've all been night games.  Looks completely different.

Day or night, it's just as white!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, LTbear said:

No "have no clue what you're talking about" comment has been passed around sports message boards more than this one. Ann gave no shits what happened to Baylor, and has been quoted saying as much. Bullock was the one who helped Baylor (and Tech) during the formation of the Big XII. 

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This times one-fucking-billion. As soon as someone claims Ann Richards had fuck all to do w/ Baylor joining the BXII I know that they don't know shit about what happened at the end of the SWC/formation of the BXII.

Bob Bullock, David Sibley, Pete Laney and Rob Junnell were the Texas politicos who made sure Baylor and Tech didn't get left behind. Google is your friend. Ann didn't care one iota what happened to Baylor. Hell, if she was in Waco for any speaking engagement or official business at Baylor she was almost guaranteed to be wearing burnt orange or Longhorn jewelry. 

You guys assume that I give enough of a shit about Baylor or Tech to want to know if it was Ann Richards or Bob Bullock and co doing the strong arming. Spoiler alert: I don't.

It doesn't really change the narrative of what happened. There were some people in power artificially propping up their schools and tagging them on to Texas and A&M's coat tails to save them from wandering in the wilderness. Baylor deserves to be a smoking hole in the ground and nothing more. Fuck that piece of shit hanger on school forever. While I generally like Tech, they have not contributed anything meaningful to the B12 except Mike Leach, and they somehow managed to fuck that up. Now that Texas is free from that kind of entanglement in the legislature, we can pretty much be guaranteed that all of that kind of bullshit is a thing of the past with regards to future decisions. People always say Texas looks down their noses at the rest of the schools in the state, but when we have been forced to carry them to their next meal ticket it doesn't really do anything but enforce that point of view.   

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

You guys assume that I give enough of a shit about Baylor or Tech to want to know if it was Ann Richards or Bob Bullock and co doing the strong arming. Spoiler alert: I don't.

Or we just assumed you would be smarter than to very strongly assert a completely incorrect statement for no other reason than "it just sounded right" to you, as doing so makes you look like a moron. Spoiler alert: you weren't. 

Edited by LTbear
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Crockett said:

There is BYU lore out there that BYU had a shot at joining the B12 back in the day, but that Richards kept us out for more Texas schools / Baylor.

If anyone here actually knows what really happened, then I am all ears. 

Nothing major, but the way I’ve heard it is that Texas politicians lobbied hard under the guise of we had to protect Texas Tech since it was a public university. Once that point was agreed to and Tech was #11 everyone knew they’d need to add #12. The Big 8 schools threw out BYU as an option to help curb the influence of the State of Texas but Baylor was always the one being pushed by the politicians and they weren’t going to be left out. BYU never really had a chance.

6 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. I would love the access to the Wasatch range. 

Tell me you've never been to Provo without telling me you've never been to Provo. You can be in the mountains in 30 minutes from the SLC airport and never have to set foot in that shitty town.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Tell me you've never been to Provo without telling me you've never been to Provo. You can be in the mountains in 30 minutes from the SLC airport and never have to set foot in that shitty town.

I've been to Provo. I'm not arguing its a great town, I'm just saying people like me don't care much about the town itself anyways; when I travel I spend all my time outside. In that regard, Provo is more or less equivalent to SLC/ Orem/ Ogden/ etc. for me, because they all offer great access to the peaks and canyons of the Wasatch.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, royiv said:

Utah County sucks unless you're a connoisseur of shitty chain restaurants and LaVell Edward has the lamest tailgate and gameday atmosphere in D1 football. 

Yes, almost every chain restaurant is here, but there are plenty of great food options. Tons of variety. Lot of great places if you actually look. Bam Bams BBQ can hold its own with some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. Not kidding. 

Yeah there aren't a lot of bars in Provo but there are plenty in Salt Lake and between Salt Lake and Provo (try Bohemian Brewery). You could also stay in Park City for the weekend and drive an hour to the game. 

Tailgating here is weak but improving. Atmosphere in the stadium during the game is upper tier. Better than an old guy in a jet pack. You got fire knife performers?

We have the best college mascot (Cosmo) in all of college. Our dancers are the best in college, too (perennial national champs).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

Tell me you've never been to many other college towns without telling me you've never been to many other college towns. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Yes, almost every chain restaurant is here, but there are plenty of great food options. Tons of variety. Lot of great places if you actually look. Bam Bams BBQ can hold its own with some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. Not kidding. 

Yeah there aren't a lot of bars in Provo but there are plenty in Salt Lake and between Salt Lake and Provo (try Bohemian Brewery). You could also stay in Park City for the weekend and drive an hour to the game. 

Tailgating here is weak but improving. Atmosphere in the stadium during the game is upper tier. Better than an old guy in a jet pack. You got fire knife performers?

We have the best college mascot (Cosmo) in all of college. Our dancers are the best in college, too (perennial national champs).

Whoa fire knife performers and dancers in sweats? I was totally wrong!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Bam Bams BBQ can hold its own with some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. Not kidding.

Okay, had to look this up for grins. Here are pics from online reviews: 

image.png.f40f01f1185c866854a617635a7023b8.png

image.thumb.png.16bbfdda4178eb78c6793950257bf270.png

image.thumb.png.64719bc81ba079e5140af819d280613c.png

Have you ever had BBQ other than Dickey's? Because that shit above looks Iike Dickey's. Also, no Texas BBQ joint uses a pig as their logo. That's Carolina BBQ, yo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, royiv said:

Have you ever had BBQ other than Dickey's? Because that shit above looks Iike Dickey's. Also, no Texas BBQ joint uses a pig as their logo. That's Carolina BBQ, yo.

spacer.png

Yikes

• Drool 1

6 hours ago, LTbear said:

Richards did not care. At all. A Texas politician (Bullock) lobbied for Baylor and Tech. Otherwise the deal was just UT and A&M joining the Big 8. There was a pretty comprehensive article on it all a few years back, but I'm blanking on what magazine it was from. 

SI had an article on it, but I want to believe the DMN did as well, sometime around the 20th anniversary of the formation of the conference.

https://www.si.com/college/2016/08/16/big-12-expansion-oral-history-big-8-swc-merger

Spoiler

With that, the issue became more political. Rumors still flew that Texas was headed to the Pac-10 and Texas A&M to the SEC. David Sibley, a Baylor graduate who was a Texas state senator from 1991–2000, wanted answers, and he and Rob Junell, then the chairman of the Texas House Appropriations Committee, decided to take action. They confirmed that Texas A&M still had interest in the SEC, but Texas's preference for the Big Eight and the looming ABC/ESPN compromise dictated the future of the SWC.

Sibley: We had a brief conversation, and it ended with Junell saying, "Cut loose the dogs of war." At the time, Bob Bullock was the lieutenant governor, and he was a Baylor Law graduate. The speaker of the house was from Texas Tech, and [Junell] was from Texas Tech. And then the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee was a Texas Tech person, John Montford. And then there I was, representing Waco and a Baylor graduate.

Junell and Sibley mobilized on Thursday or Friday, Sibley says, and by Sunday, a group was assembled in Bullock's office to strike a deal. The lieutenant governor, along with Sibley, Montford, Cunningham and Clayton (the former speaker of the Texas House of Representatives and an A&M graduate) agreed: in addition to Texas and Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor would make the cut.

Sibley: The interesting part of this is that if this had happened two years earlier, the lieutenant governor would have been a University of Houston person and the speaker of the house would have been a TCU person. It really was an interesting confluence of events.

Castiglione: It was our impression that the four institutions from the Southwest Conference would be Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Houston.

Cunningham: A&M and Texas were easy, and Texas Tech had the third-best attendance. Then we came down to the fourth school, and that was Baylor versus TCU. When you really looked at the hard data, Baylor was the better choice. They had better attendance and better records. When I called the Baylor president, he was not in, and I spoke with his wife. His wife told me that he was at a prayer meeting, and I said, "I now believe in prayer more than ever."

Also, this:

Slocum: I remember one meeting in particular, when they were talking about scheduling. We'd had the traditional game of A&M-Texas on Thanksgiving and the Nebraska-OU game that weekend. Some of the other coaches were saying, "You all say all of this is going to be done with a computer. How come is it that A&M and Texas and OU and Nebraska all still have their games?" Donnie Duncan said, "I'm going to be frank about it to you: The only inventory that we really have that the networks are really excited about and want is the A&M-Texas game and the OU-Nebraska game." I'm not sure if everybody appreciated that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Also, this:

Donnie Duncan said, "I'm going to be frank about it to you: The only inventory that we really have that the networks are really excited about and want is the A&M-Texas game and the OU-Nebraska game." I'm not sure if everybody appreciated that.

Biggest mistake the Big 12 ever made was not preserving this rivalry game every year.

Of course, I'm sure these bluebloods "didn't want to play a rematch" in the Big 12 Championship, either. Oops...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, royiv said:

Ur such a hater cherry picking the worst possible pics lol

I've eaten excellent BBQ in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Kansas City, Nashville, Memphis, and more btw.

Here are some better pics of Bam Bams:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crockett said:

I've eaten excellent BBQ in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Kansas City, Nashville, Memphis, and more btw.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks good to me.

I enjoy Carolina 'cue, too, if it's not smothered in their crappy vinegar sauce.

23 minutes ago, Crockett said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Must be the same photographer that shoots for Burger King.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Biggest mistake the Big 12 ever made was not preserving this rivalry game every year.

Of course, I'm sure these bluebloods "didn't want to play a rematch" in the Big 12 Championship, either. Oops...

IIRC, that was an Oklahoma thing. Nebraska wanted it. At the time, the big 3 were Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Oklahoma wanted the Red River Shootout, as it was called then, and thought it would put them at a disadvantage to play both Texas and Nebraska every year. Nebraska got pissed, because Oklahoma was their big rival, kind of like aggy got pissed to find out Oklahoma was the big rival for Texas. It was also their biggest media exposure game of the year. 

24 minutes ago, Crockett said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

You're not helping your case. No smoke ring to be found. BTW, I "cherry picked" the first three images of their brisket that came up on Google.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, royiv said:

That's a crime against beef.  I don't know whether to be angry or to cry.  That is like murder...perfectly good beef ruined beyond belief.

To the Utah BBQ establishment that did this:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

It doesn't really change the narrative of what happened. There were some people in power artificially propping up their schools and tagging them on to Texas and A&M's coat tails to save them from wandering in the wilderness. Baylor deserves to be a smoking hole in the ground and nothing more. Fuck that piece of shit hanger on school forever. While I generally like Tech, they have not contributed anything meaningful to the B12 except Mike Leach, and they somehow managed to fuck that up. Now that Texas is free from that kind of entanglement in the legislature, we can pretty much be guaranteed that all of that kind of bullshit is a thing of the past with regards to future decisions. People always say Texas looks down their noses at the rest of the schools in the state, but when we have been forced to carry them to their next meal ticket it doesn't really do anything but enforce that point of view.   

Relax, dude. Just a few fellow Texas Exes on a message board trying to clear up the bullshit. The people who just make shit up to fit their narrative live in BCS. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I've had Bam Bams BBQ, and while its not Franklins, Blacks or even my great-great uncle's central Texas hill country family reunion bbq (RIP Uncle Charles Jones), its still decent and good.  He(the owner BamBams) did his bbq training in Texas, so he has an idea of what to aim for.

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, FartingDreamer said:

I've had Bam Bams BBQ, and while its not Franklins, Blacks or even my great-great uncle's central Texas hill country family reunion bbq (RIP Uncle Charles), its still decent and good.  He did his bbq trainingin Texas, so he has an idea of what to aim for.

He may have an idea what to aim for, but based on the pictures, he missed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

I've had Bam Bams BBQ, and while its not Franklins, Blacks or even my great-great uncle's central Texas hill country family reunion bbq (RIP Uncle Charles Jones), its still decent and good.  He did his bbq trainingin Texas, so he has an idea of what to aim for.

Franklin, zoob.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I don’t get these BYU guys bragging about their BBQ. You don’t see us bragging about the magic underwear in Austin. 

Look, you have the old little schools bitching about how cool the midwest is for games

You have the newbies fucking talking about how good their BBQ is to try to impress

Theyre all a fucking jock itch in Texas' crotch....Fuck em hombre

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1