Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

7 hours ago, Crockett said:

Yes, almost every chain restaurant is here, but there are plenty of great food options. Tons of variety. Lot of great places if you actually look. Bam Bams BBQ can hold its own with some of the best BBQ joints in Texas. Not kidding. 

Yeah there aren't a lot of bars in Provo but there are plenty in Salt Lake and between Salt Lake and Provo (try Bohemian Brewery). You could also stay in Park City for the weekend and drive an hour to the game. 

Tailgating here is weak but improving. Atmosphere in the stadium during the game is upper tier. Better than an old guy in a jet pack. You got fire knife performers?

We have the best college mascot (Cosmo) in all of college. Our dancers are the best in college, too (perennial national champs).

Cosmo seems pretty cool when not looking in through a window.

16 hours ago, Crockett said:

Ur such a hater cherry picking the worst possible pics lol

I've eaten excellent BBQ in Dallas, Austin, Houston, Kansas City, Nashville, Memphis, and more btw.

Here are some better pics of Bam Bams:

spacer.png

spacer.png

You poor bastard, it wouldn't matter what pictures you have, they're going to shit on it here.  You might as well post pics of your wife while you're at it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 3

I think Texas Tech has a chance to be the best program in the Big 12 going forward.  Through my business, I do a lot of work in the Midland Basin.  Tech has a lot of newly minted 9 and 10 figure types that care a lot about football.  No just Sellers and Campbell.  I was pretty shocked when I saw the wealth in the Tech alumni base.

I realize Lubbock makes it difficult to recruit.  But they have a shitload of money from donors who care.

8 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I think Texas Tech has a chance to be the best program in the Big 12 going forward.  Through my business, I do a lot of work in the Midland Basin.  Tech has a lot of newly minted 9 and 10 figure types that care a lot about football.  No just Sellers and Campbell.  I was pretty shocked when I saw the wealth in the Tech alumni base.

I realize Lubbock makes it difficult to recruit.  But they have a shitload of money from donors who care.

Maybe they should take that money and move the campus out of Lubbock?

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

God forbid they use that money to endow some professors and academic chairs, and improve the quality of the school. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You poor bastard, it wouldn't matter what pictures you have, they're going to shit on it here.  You might as well post pics of your wife while you're at it.

Yes, I should have known better than to touch the third rail of BBQ here lol.

56 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Would have been a lot easier if Tech hadn't stiffed Leach and been under a pirate curse ever since...but yeah lots of new Tceh money will prob help a bit 

30 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I am hearing that the P12 Presidents rejected the TV package that Kliavkoff negotiated because it was in the $22-25Mil range per school. Well below the B12, plus it would include their Tier 1 games on streaming instead of cable, with only the tier 3 PAC after dark games on ESPN. Arizona is the school that I believe will be first to bolt, and will likely bring someone with them. Colorado, while they would be open to the B12, secretly want the B1G. The USC AD is an ex Colorado Alum who negotiated Colorado season tickets into his severance package with Colorado and has been reportedly feeding Colorado intel on how to possibly make a play for the B1G. Would Colorado be a take over Oregon or Washington? Doubtful, but crazier things have happened. 

Effectively, Kliavkoff is neutered right now and has zero bargaining power. The schools are arrogant and willfully ignorant as per the P12 DNA, and I believe that Arizona +1 could be in the B12 within the next 60 days if they can't find another 5-10 mil per school from TV partners. That money simply isn't there unless Apple TV comes in at the last minute to save the day. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t think Colorado’s desire to join the Big 10 is secret.

They have to get invited though.

Secret is probably too strong of a word, but they are being a little more covert about it than Oregon and Washington who are offering blow jobs in the parking lot. 

• Haha 6

40 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I am hearing that the P12 Presidents rejected the TV package that Kliavkoff negotiated because it was in the $22-25Mil range per school. Well below the B12, plus it would include their Tier 1 games on streaming instead of cable, with only the tier 3 PAC after dark games on ESPN. Arizona is the school that I believe will be first to bolt, and will likely bring someone with them. Colorado, while they would be open to the B12, secretly want the B1G. The USC AD is an ex Colorado Alum who negotiated Colorado season tickets into his severance package with Colorado and has been reportedly feeding Colorado intel on how to possibly make a play for the B1G. Would Colorado be a take over Oregon or Washington? Doubtful, but crazier things have happened. 

Effectively, Kliavkoff is neutered right now and has zero bargaining power. The schools are arrogant and willfully ignorant as per the P12 DNA, and I believe that Arizona +1 could be in the B12 within the next 60 days if they can't find another 5-10 mil per school from TV partners. That money simply isn't there unless Apple TV comes in at the last minute to save the day. 

Bohn grew up in Boulder, but he is not an alum. he played football at KU.

40 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Secret is probably too strong of a word, but they are being a little more covert about it than Oregon and Washington who are offering blow jobs in the parking lot. 

Fair.  I just take that as them being more realistic about their situation 

4 hours ago, statsman said:

God forbid they use that money to endow some professors and academic chairs, and improve the quality of the school. 

They have.  I wish they had a master list of all of them, but instead each college maintains their own list...and I was pleasantly surprised at how many there are.

They've also dedicated a metric ton of resources to research.

This stuff just doesn't make the news.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/3/2023 at 11:01 AM, Vertigo said:

Colorado's path to the Big Ten probably requires a successful stop in the Big 12, first.  They likely know that, which is why the Denver area media has been a lot more friendly toward the idea of the Big 12 than a lot of other PAC media.  The Buffs need to not only start winning again, but also filling their stadium and doing well on TV. Generating local interest and TV interest will be easier in the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:20 AM, statsman said:

Tech does really well, given it place in the state’s pecking order. Saw a  corporate recruiters preference poll that ranked their graduates very high. We’re not California when it comes to higher ed but we’re not Mississippi either. Houston, UTD are not chopped liver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Tech does really well, given it place in the state’s pecking order. Saw a  corporate recruiters preference poll that ranked their graduates very high. We’re not California when it comes to higher ed but we’re not Mississippi either. Houston, UTD are not chopped liver.

Lower acceptance rate than the aggy diploma mill. Where should I mail the trophy?

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll say it. The Irate8 screwed up. They needed to get back to 10. I understand that. So add BYU and Coug High. Now they have the UCF and Cincy albatross around their neck if they add the corner schools. 

They could probably had the corner schools + UW and Oregon. 

I would argue that Cincy is a much better add than BYU and makes a lot more sense than a lone team in  the Mountain time zone. Cincy has a better overall program in basketball, which will continue to be the Big XII's strongest sport, and has had more recwnt success than BYU in baseball and basketball. BYU is a pain in the ass as a conference partner due to their refusal to schedule any competition on Sundays.

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

I have a number of friends and family who are tech grads, all highly successful people. The west texas culture translates pretty well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll say it. The Irate8 screwed up. They needed to get back to 10. I understand that. So add BYU and Coug High. Now they have the UCF and Cincy albatross around their neck if they add the corner schools. 

They could probably had the corner schools + UW and Oregon. 

Not sure about UW and Oregon but they clearly should have waited and not come across as so desperate.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, Uncle Nate said:

They have.  I wish they had a master list of all of them, but instead each college maintains their own list...and I was pleasantly surprised at how many there are.

They've also dedicated a metric ton of resources to research.

This stuff just doesn't make the news.

But, not a metric shit ton?

35 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Not sure about UW and Oregon but they clearly should have waited and not come across as so desperate.

The desperation the Big 12 had at the time is probably what is saving them today.  It might have cost them a potential Oregon or Washington, but it could also gain them 4 other Pac 12 schools. That's a pretty good conference spanning 3 of the 4 timezones, and Arizona strengthens the best basketball conference that much more.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The desperation the Big 12 had at the time is probably what is saving them today.  It might have cost them a potential Oregon or Washington, but it could also gain them 4 other Pac 12 schools. That's a pretty good conference spanning 3 of the 4 timezones, and Arizona strengthens the best basketball conference that much more.

3 1/2

I get wanting to kill the Pac 12 to destroy your competition for another playoff spot but the excitement of getting historically meh teams like Arizona and Arizona State is amusing. I guess basketball is better. Colorado is only interesting for Deion. When he eventually moves on, they will plummet back down to mediocrity. Utah is the best piece of this but not getting Oregon and Washington makes this a fairly hollow victory. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I get wanting to kill the Pac 12 to destroy your competition for another playoff spot but the excitement of getting historically meh teams like Arizona and Arizona State is amusing. I guess basketball is better. Colorado is only interesting for Deion. When he eventually moves on, they will plummet back down to mediocrity. Utah is the best piece of this but not getting Oregon and Washington makes this a fairly hollow victory. 

Given how it’s accidentally coming together, I don’t think it could have turned out any better the the legacy teams in the B12. Adding four P12 teams gives the conference a comfortable landing spot behind the B1G and Sec.

7 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Am I the only one that thinks the Big 12 made a big mistake by taking UCF over Memphis? UCF is like a weird appendage in the new Big 12.

I'm guessing that the thinking was to get access to the Florida market. Without picking off FSU or Miami, that was the only way to get into that state. 

• Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, royiv said:

I'm guessing that the thinking was to get access to the Florida market. Without picking off FSU or Miami, that was the only way to get into that state. 

Yes they are huge and in a big market with a fertile recruiting ground but I’m just thinking about the line up of the new Big 12 schools especially with the 4 possible PAC additions.

5 Flagship Universities
4 ‘States’
1 Tech
3 private schools
2 big city U
and 1 directional U

Just seems like an odd fit when you line up all the pieces even without looking at the geography. And no this isn’t just a hindsight thought.

That being said, it’s impressive they cracked the glass ceiling and were the first directional U in the P5 (USC doesn’t count).

5 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Yes they are huge and in a big market with a fertile recruiting ground but I’m just thinking about the line up of the new Big 12 schools especially with the 4 possible PAC additions.

5 Flagship Universities
4 ‘States’
1 Tech
3 private schools
2 big city U
and 1 directional U

Just seems like an odd fit when you line up all the pieces even without looking at the geography. And no this isn’t just a hindsight thought.

That being said, it’s impressive they cracked the glass ceiling and were the first directional U in the P5 (USC doesn’t count).

UCF is the 2nd largest school by enrollment (behind A&M) in the country. It's not exactly a little "directional" school.

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

UCF is the 2nd largest school by enrollment (behind A&M) in the country. It's not exactly a little "directional" school.

The Big 12 should definitely invite Liberty then…having a huge enrollment isn’t always a good thing and comparing them to aggy is laughable. aggy (occasionally) fills up a 100k seat stadium while UCF averages 35k in attendance which is only 80% of their new smaller capacity stadium. Yes better opponents will help but that’s not a great sign.

It’s a gamble. The Big 12 is gambling that UCF will be able to consistently compete at a higher level and actually get a large portion of their students/geographic area to start caring more about UCF/mostly out of region B12 football OVER UF/SEC and FSU/Miami/ACC…that’s not a sure thing and in many ways despite its huge enrollment, UCF is still very much a little directional school.

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

The Big 12 should definitely invite Liberty then…having a huge enrollment isn’t always a good thing and comparing them to aggy is laughable. aggy (occasionally) fills up a 100k seat stadium while UCF averages 35k in attendance which is only 80% of their new smaller capacity stadium. Yes better opponents will help but that’s not a great sign.

It’s a gamble. The Big 12 is gambling that UCF will be able to consistently compete at a higher level and actually get a large portion of their students/geographic area to start caring more about UCF/mostly out of region B12 football OVER UF/SEC and FSU/Miami/ACC…that’s not a sure thing and in many ways despite its huge enrollment, UCF is still very much a little directional school.

We're talking past each other. UCF is definitely a gamble. I just think we're to a point that labeling a school as "directional" is sort of silly. Is Texas State no longer a directional school because they changed their name? In your post on this topic they would be a "State" school when we all know they haven't made the same level of investment in athletics as UCF.

UCF is a big school and has had some success in athletics. Who knows if they can recreate and sustain that success? 

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Am I the only one that thinks the Big 12 made a big mistake by taking UCF over Memphis? UCF is like a weird appendage in the new Big 12.

Lol, who wants to be in a conference with a bunch of schools named for cities?

10 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Having the P5 Big12 bump should boost their attendance and solidify their fanbase, all while being rooted in one of the fastest growing metro ateas and fertile recruiting grounds in the country along with the large alumni base, who now has a P5 program they can claim as their own.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Liberty barely has cafeterias on their campus, this is one to let do its thing for a while.   If you're looking for the next power broker in Virginia, it is not Liberty, its JMU.

14 hours ago, Satchel said:

Congratulations if Houston is cougar high then you're Raider JC

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Big 12 doesn’t get the TV deal that gives it leverage on the Pac 12 without backfilling so quickly in 2021.

It gave a level of inventory to sell and an air of previously lacking stability.

PAC really fucked up by staying stagnant again just like they did 10 years ago. Fuck em though

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Congratulations if Houston is cougar high then you're Raider JC

PAC really fucked up by staying stagnant again just like they did 10 years ago. Fuck em though

Yup.  They could have swooped up all the Big 12 publics and TCU in 2021 and locked up #3 status, but ya know, they were just better than that dang it.