Shorts

Ok so I have become obsessed with finding a good pair of comfortable casual shorts that I can wear any time. I don't really need a pair of shorts that I can swim in and go to the gym in and also wear "out" (whatever that means). I have stuff I can swim or go to the gym in, but I don't have many options if I'm going somewhere else. Gym shorts are terrible because while I only carry a phone (wallet case) and my keys, they slip out when I step up into my vehicle.  I keep ordering stuff and then I get them and they're bullshit so I return them. 

1. I don't want to have to wear a belt. I appreciate a good flex waistband but I prefer a drawstring. I am not planning on wearing anything tucked into my shorts basically ever if I can avoid it so that's not really a concern. I don't golf anymore really and I have plenty of pairs of golf shorts with belt loops. 

2. Plain colors, no prints

3. Stretchy material

4. No shorter than 8" inseam. I prefer 9 I think. 10 is a little too long. 7 is Too $hort. 

5. I want a pocket or two that zips or closes ideally. No cargo though.

6. Don't care if they have a liner or not. Kind of prefer not, but not a deal breaker.  

So far these are the best I've found but I don't love them. https://mylesapparel.com/collections/everyday-short/products/everyday-short-in-fog

Any go tos? I don't care about impressing anyone, I'm a dad and I want what I want. 

I bought a pair of these or very similar not too long ago for hiking and outdoor-type stuff.  All poly, and no stretch, but discreet elastic in the waist.

I have been quite pleased with them for general purpose wear.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-outdoor-recycled-performance-short-NW947.html?merchCategory=WRG_MEN_SHORTS_UTILITY&dwvar_NW947_color=NW947BL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Ok so I have become obsessed with finding a good pair of comfortable casual shorts that I can wear any time. I don't really need a pair of shorts that I can swim in and go to the gym in and also wear "out" (whatever that means). I have stuff I can swim or go to the gym in, but I don't have many options if I'm going somewhere else. Gym shorts are terrible because while I only carry a phone (wallet case) and my keys, they slip out when I step up into my vehicle.  I keep ordering stuff and then I get them and they're bullshit so I return them. 

1. I don't want to have to wear a belt. I appreciate a good flex waistband but I prefer a drawstring. I am not planning on wearing anything tucked into my shorts basically ever if I can avoid it so that's not really a concern. I don't golf anymore really and I have plenty of pairs of golf shorts with belt loops. 

3. Stretchy material

4. No shorter than 8" inseam. I prefer 9 I think. 10 is a little too long. 7 is Too $hort. 

6. Don't care if they have a liner or not. Kind of prefer not, but not a deal breaker.  

So far these are the best I've found but I don't love them. https://mylesapparel.com/collections/everyday-short/products/everyday-short-in-fog

Any go tos? I don't care about impressing anyone, I'm a dad and I want what I want. 

I love my everyday shorts. I've got 5 pair.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Free Fly or Fair Harbor. Both are super light weight and look good. Fair Harbor is more of a swim trunk but works as a workout short.

Ha. I bought the Fair Harbors a few weeks ago. I like them, too. I think they're an inch too short. They are 8". 

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

Not sure if they check all your boxes, but these shorts kick ass.

Travis Mathew performance shorts

I’ve been looking for something new to try I think those will be next.

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Looks like you found what you're looking for and these have 8" and 10" but not 9", but I have a few pairs of these and they are great shorts. I think I bought the khaki ones for a trip in 2017, and they're in good shape still

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-quandary-hiking-shorts-10-inch/57826.html

Bought a couple of those or at least a very similar short 2 years ago while in Austin because my girlfriend wanted to go in the Patagonia store and liked them. I wear those more than anything these days. The zipper pocket is almost a must have for me.

Edited by justhookit

It's funny.  I used to pay premium prices for all-cotton shorts of the proper configuration (e.g. longer "Bermuda" shorts).  Ten or 20 years ago, I wouldn't be caught dead in a poly blend or even spandex-cotton or some other stretchy shit.

Now that polyester is acceptable and in some cases desirable, I find almost no reason to pay premium prices for them.  I'm sure the Patagonia are good because they always are, but for poly "tactical" or outdoor type shorts, I find the Wranglers to be quite excellent.  I bought a couple of pairs of poly long pants of similar configuration (not cargo, but not traditional pockets, either) and really, really like them.  They live up to the 13MWZ tradition of wearing like iron, too.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:46 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I bought a pair of these or very similar not too long ago for hiking and outdoor-type stuff.  All poly, and no stretch, but discreet elastic in the waist.

I have been quite pleased with them for general purpose wear.

https://www.wrangler.com/shop/mens-outdoor-recycled-performance-short-NW947.html?merchCategory=WRG_MEN_SHORTS_UTILITY&dwvar_NW947_color=NW947BL

I got a pair of similar wrangler shorts from Walmart. I got them sort of out of necessity and didn’t expect them to last very long.  But 3 years later they are still in decent shape.

Looks like you found what you're looking for and these have 8" and 10" but not 9", but I have a few pairs of these and they are great shorts. I think I bought the khaki ones for a trip in 2017, and they're in good shape still

https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-quandary-hiking-shorts-10-inch/57826.html
Was going to recommend these. Bought some for a recent trip to Colorado and find myself wearing them all the time now.

3. Stretchy material

I’ve lived in Free Fly clothing during the pandemic. I have 6-7 pairs of these shorts I rotate through.

https://freeflyapparel.com/collections/mens-best-sellers/products/breeze-shorts

I’ve got three or four pairs of their thin long “workout” pants too. All of their stuff is fantastic.

On 7/22/2021 at 12:09 PM, Baboontyme said:

3. Stretchy material

Okay... What is the giveaway that you are an old man? Golf shirt or t-shirt? Tucked in or not? Definitely showing sock is a no go for the kids. Tan or no tan? Hide the varicose veins? Is it a bad deal to try to look hip by wearing Jordans? Are topsiders out? How about man buns and earrings? What are the most aerodynamic shorts so I can ensure that I beat that fat midget, ctj?

9 hours ago, Bevo said:

Okay... What is the giveaway that you are an old man? Golf shirt or t-shirt? Tucked in or not? Definitely showing sock is a no go for the kids. Tan or no tan? Hide the varicose veins? Is it a bad deal to try to look hip by wearing Jordans? Are topsiders out? How about man buns and earrings? What are the most aerodynamic shorts so I can ensure that I beat that fat midget, ctj?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRMTJ5qj0FO/?utm_medium=copy_link

On 7/27/2021 at 10:14 AM, Bevo said:

Shirt style depends on your shape. If you're slim enough, t-shirts are the way to go. But never, ever have a graphic on the t-shirt. Do not wear your Fort Walton Beach t-shirt from your '99 vacation. Always wear solid colors.  If you're not slim enough, lose some weight.

Golf shorts are what you want.  I don't play golf but I wear Under Armour golf shorts a lot.  They are comfy enough to get active in, made of athletic materi, but still normal enough to go to a patio restaurant in and not be the guy wearing gym shorts.  One step further toward athletic shorts is Under Armour quick-pocket 9" shorts.  The quick pocket is a waistband pocket that'll hold your phone horizontal in the front of the waistband where it won't bounce around.  

38 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Golf shorts are what you want.  I don't play golf but I wear Under Armour golf shorts a lot.  They are comfy enough to get active in, made of athletic materi, but still normal enough to go to a patio restaurant in and not be the guy wearing gym shorts.  One step further toward athletic shorts is Under Armour quick-pocket 9" shorts.  The quick pocket is a waistband pocket that'll hold your phone horizontal in the front of the waistband where it won't bounce around.  

This.  I have about five pairs of Under Amour golf shorts.   Good fit right above the knee and they are light weight, but don't look like it.  Makes it a great travel short not having worry about wrinkles.  You can load up on the five color options they have at an  Under Amour outlet store for a bout $25 a pair less than what they sell at Academy or Dicks..   If you spill something like coffee or drop food on them, they don't stain which is another great feature.   I think my pairs are four years old and they still look great. 

On 7/30/2021 at 11:30 PM, wild_turkey said:

A lot of old men in this thread.

Shorter shorts are in.   And thank goodness.     Except some will continue to wear cargo shorts our oversized shorts way below their knees where they meet up with tube socks.   Never have or will understand why guys wear shorts like that. It looks hideous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Shorter shorts are in.   And thank goodness.     Except some will continue to wear cargo shorts our oversized shorts way below their knees where they meet up with tube socks.   Never have or will understand why guys wear shorts like that. It looks hideous. 

Im my experience, shorter men attempt this look most often. Which makes them look shorter. You don’t need the 80s OP shorts look but have the shorts go above your knees. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Im my experience, shorter men attempt this look most often. Which makes them look shorter. You don’t need the 80s OP shorts look but have the shorts go above your knees. 

Agreed.  I think Basketball and the Hip Hop craze drove the longer/ baggy shorts  and  some are still stuck with the look.   Even basketball styles have changed to above the knee, so it might take awhile for that trickle through.

Looking at my more recent visits to department and stand alone clothings stores  kind of confirmed the shorter length shorts are in.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 7/26/2021 at 2:07 AM, C-Man said:

I’ve lived in Free Fly clothing during the pandemic. I have 6-7 pairs of these shorts I rotate through.

https://freeflyapparel.com/collections/mens-best-sellers/products/breeze-shorts

I’ve got three or four pairs of their thin long “workout” pants too. All of their stuff is fantastic.

i've been waiting for them to restock their shade hoodies. 

• Hook 'Em 1