SEC BASEBALL

petscii

As someone who lives in Seattle and loves going to west coast Texas baseball games,  I'd prefer we join the Pac-??  or get Arizona/Arizona State to come to the Big12 and we stay put.

Having said that.  Fuck it.  In.

Do you think baseball in the SEC would mirror football?    A four team pod and then we rotate through the other pods.  This could actually improve the quality of baseball we get season by season.  Making west coast trips more likely.  Or we get Kansas State here in February.  

Thoughts?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think you have to do pods for baseball and softball.  You only get 10 weeks to play 15 other teams (14 for softball, because Vanderbilt doesn't sponsor it).  If you play everyone in your pod, 2 teams from the other 3 pods and a permanent cross-pod rival, that equals 10 weekends. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think you have to do pods for baseball and softball.  You only get 10 weeks to play 15 other teams (14 for softball, because Vanderbilt doesn't sponsor it).  If you play everyone in your pod, 2 teams from the other 3 pods and a permanent cross-pod rival, that equals 10 weekends. 

Assuming ARK, OU, Ass2Mouth, and Texas in a pod,  who is the cross pod rival?

Just now, henrygandorf said:

maybe this is more of a football answer, but it seems everyone has us in a pod with arkie, for geographical purposes, and i can only assume, to renew old rivalries.

why don't we just pod up with lsu and have arkie be our "rival"?

I'm fine with either.  You can make a case for a UT/OU/LSU/A&M pod with Arky as our cross-pod permanent rival or UT/OU/Arky/A&M with LSU as our cross-pod permanent rival.

Both would be awesome. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm fine with either.  You can make a case for a UT/OU/LSU/A&M pod with Arky as our cross-pod permanent rival or UT/OU/Arky/A&M with LSU as our cross-pod permanent rival.

Both would be awesome. 

If we did that why not have LSU in our pod with ARK and make AtM our rival.  Plus you have to do these things for OU and LSU may already have a rival.  :)

I wonder if the Aggies would try to duck us and be in another pod.

Edited by petscii

9 minutes ago, petscii said:

If we did that why not have LSU in our pod with ARK and make AtM our rival.  Plus you have to do these things for OU and LSU may already have a rival.  :)

I wonder if the Aggies would try to duck us and be in another pod.

Because fuck aggy and I hope the SEC sticks them with us and OU because that's their place. 

The SEC has taken over Omaha the past few decades. Wrap your head around this: Since 1990, the SEC has sent three or more teams to the College World Series 12 times. Current members have accounted for 13 titles (the SEC can claim 12 total using actual conference membership at the time of the championship), with LSU’s six leading the way. The Razorbacks' runner-up finish in 2018 gave the SEC 18 in total, the most in CWS history.

Found this. Powerhouse baseball conference indeed. 

The SEC has taken over Omaha the past few decades. Wrap your head around this: Since 1990, the SEC has sent three or more teams to the College World Series 12 times. Current members have accounted for 13 titles (the SEC can claim 12 total using actual conference membership at the time of the championship), with LSU’s six leading the way. The Razorbacks' runner-up finish in 2018 gave the SEC 18 in total, the most in CWS history.

8 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Okay, I am trying to figure the math in your quote.  By my count, since 1990, the SEC has won 13 national titles in baseball.  I see no other school that has won the CWS in 1990 or beyond that later joined the SEC (Texas and Oklahoma pending).  I guess whomever wrote that original quote is counting Missouri's 1954 title?

What I find even more confusing is the number of 18.  By my count, the SEC had a team finish runner-up in Omaha 13 times.  I am counting conference membership at the time the CWS took place, so I am not counting second place finishes by South Carolina in 1975 and 1977, Missouri in 1958 and 1964, or Arkansas in 1979.  I presume that is what the author of that quote is doing since that would give a tally of 18 second place finishers.  

I had never really looked at past CWS results in this way, but strangely, the SEC's first baseball title was in 1990 when Georgia won it all and only two of the second place finishes came before 1990, Tennessee in 1951 and Alabama in 1983.  Kind of surprising, at least to me, that there was so little baseball success in the SEC for so long.  I mean, it is not like baseball just all of a sudden arrived in the southeast.

Also, fuck these people that retroactively claim titles and appearances.  Must have been an aggy that wrote the original quote.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Over allocation of teams and seeds and being matched up with the ACC in the regionals and supers helps with that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hopefully the addition of Texas and OU gives the SEC enough power to abolish 11.7 and opens the doors for college baseball to all but replace the low level minor leagues. MLB has been trending that way for a few years and should welcome more players going to college. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, cochamps said:

This.  Well, this and more schollys.

Agree. both are very much needed. I think if the SEC truly did break away from the NCAA, the 3rd coach would be an easy change. The 11.7 still has to do with federal law i believe and would be tougher - but the simple solution is reduce Football down by 10-15 and give it to baseball instead. 

42 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Agree. both are very much needed. I think if the SEC truly did break away from the NCAA, the 3rd coach would be an easy change. The 11.7 still has to do with federal law i believe and would be tougher - but the simple solution is reduce Football down by 10-15 and give it to baseball instead. 

There is a federal law that requires only 11.7 scholarships in NCAA baseball???

I fucking hate the SEC, but springtime 3-day weekends to Lexington, Nashville, Knoxville, Oxford/Memphis, et. al. sound pretty damn awesome.  

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep... Compared to Lawrence, Lubbock,  and Manhattan.... By a long shot.

The only downside is we will get Feb games against the jetsam, at least these should be home games....

Edited by petscii

43 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep... Compared to Lawrence, Lubbock,  and Manhattan.... By a long shot.

One thng that I like about the SEC is that conference games are Thursday, Friday & Saturday.  That makes my commute down I-35 from DFW a helluva a lot easier.

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

brain fart. They haven't won. I blanked and thought they had in like 2012 or so but double checked and they didn't. Makes the Omahogs thing even worse

Indeed, but they are inbred cider suckiing hillbillies, so we need to make allowances.

12 minutes ago, cochamps said:

One thng that I like about the SEC is that conference games are Thursday, Friday & Saturday.  That makes my commute down I-35 from DFW a helluva a lot easier.

Only 3 times per year. 1st - Easter weekend. 2nd - It's rotated thru the conference. 3rd last weekend of conference play before Hoover. 

6 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Only 3 times per year. 1st - Easter weekend. 2nd - It's rotated thru the conference. 3rd last weekend of conference play before Hoover. 

Bummer, we did Easter and last weekend before the conference tourney in the B12.  Won't gain as much as I thought.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

brain fart. They haven't won. I blanked and thought they had in like 2012 or so but double checked and they didn't. Makes the Omahogs thing even worse

Yeah we've been to plenty of CWS over the last 15 years but haven't won one.

Though Mississippi State had been using Omadawgs even before this year when they hadn't won one either.

1 minute ago, Gohogs14 said:

Though Mississippi State had been using Omadawgs even before this year when they hadn't won one either.

Am I the only one reading that as EHRMEGERD, BERSEBERS!  AND HAMBERDERS!

On 7/24/2021 at 5:26 AM, Balcones said:

I’m guessing Schloss was tipped off to this and knew TCU was on a sinking ship conference-wise. Money is going to dry up there.

Aggy didn't know until last week so it was just fortunate timing for him.

Wonder what Tadlock is thinking now.

Edited by maninblack

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Aggy didn't know until last week so it was just fortunate timing for him.

Wonder what Tadlock is thinking now.

Yep. He is probably not personal friends with Del Conte or anyone else in other athletic departments to be tipped off.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

There are lots of ways old friends communicate about things besides saying, “leave TCU. Texas and OU sinking the Big 12 in a few weeks”.

Have you been paying attention to anything? 

So the Athletic Director, President and Chancellor of A&M didn't know before Wednesday but you think Schloss was slipped the info from somewhere via CDC and told to keep keep it super secret and he did?

giphy.gif

Edited by maninblack

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Saw where Rucker, Vandy’s  All-everything pitcher, selected as the #11 first round pick by the Mets, wasn’t signed, because the Mets were not satisfied with Ruckers physical….and essentially passed on him.  Guess he can return to Vandy for another year?

Rocker* and he may play, he may just rehab. I could see him being in a relief or closing role maybe. Not sure how much more money he could make by throwing 100 plus innings again and if he reaggravates his injury it could wind up costing him a lot of dough. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Rocker* and he may play, he may just rehab. I could see him being in a relief or closing role maybe. Not sure how much more money he could make by throwing 100 plus innings again and if he reaggravates his injury it could wind up costing him a lot of dough. 

The people who know/blog seem to think he won't play for Vandy again.