New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s painfully obvious it should be 

Texas: OU, Ark, A&M

A&M: Texas, Ark, LSU

Ark: Texas, A&M, LSU

OU: Texas, Missouri, who gives a shit

a lot of people give a shit. if you give them a random Miss St or UK, thats an easy win. They need to get Florida to make it even. The 3+6 is fun and keep most rivalries but some teams are going to get a much harder draw than others. Someone will get screwed 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2022 at 10:05 PM, TKthunder2 said:

With 9 conference games and a 3-6-6 setup here are the two models I think would work the best. This first one is mine I’m reposting from the realignment thread:

Alabama: Auburn (86 all time games played), Tennessee (103), Mississippi St (105). Notable miss: LSU (86)

Arkansas: LSU (68), Texas (79), TAMU (78). Notable miss: Ole Miss (68)

Auburn: Alabama (86), Georgia (126), Mississippi St (95). Notable miss: Florida (84)

Florida: Georgia (99), South Carolina (42), Oklahoma (2). Notable miss: Auburn (84), Kentucky (72), LSU (68)

Georgia: Florida (99), Auburn (126), South Carolina (74). Notable miss: Vanderbilt (81)

Kentucky: Vandy (94), Tennessee (117), Mizzou (12). Notable miss: Georgia (75), Florida (72)

LSU: Arkansas (67), TAMU (60), Ole Miss (110). Notable miss: Mississippi St (115), Alabama (86), Florida (68)

Mississippi St: Ole Miss (116), Alabama (106), Auburn (95). Notable miss: LSU (115)

Mizzou: Oklahoma (96), Kentucky (12), South Carolina (12). Notable miss: Texas (24)

Oklahoma: Texas (117), Mizzou (96), Florida (2). Notable miss: TAMU (31), Arkansas (15)

Ole Miss: Mississippi St (116), LSU (109), Vandy (94). Notable miss: Alabama (68), Arkansas (66), Tennessee (66)

South Carolina: Florida (42), Georgia (74), Mizzou (12). Notable miss: Tennessee (40), Kentucky (32)

Tennessee: Vandy (116), Alabama (103), Kentucky (117). Notable miss: Ole Miss (66)

Texas: Oklahoma (117), TAMU (118), Arkansas (79). Notable miss: Mizzou (24)

Texas A&M: Texas (118), LSU (60), Arkansas (78). Notable miss: Oklahoma (31)

Vandy: Tennessee (116), Kentucky (94), Ole Miss (96). Notable miss: Alabama (84), Georgia (81)

83% of future/former expansion members (Texas as the lone exception), will play at least one of the founding SEC members as a “rival”. Other models have had Oklahoma, Mizzou, Arkansas, and aggy all just playing each other and Texas in what feels like a almost separate expansion division which seemed less than ideal.

50% of the SEC: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas, TAMU, Vanderbilt all play their top 3 all time conference opponents in this model.

80% of the SEC: above plus Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi St, Oklahoma, South Carolina, will play 2 of their top 2 all time conference opponents.

Only Florida, LSU, and Mizzou will not.  Mizzou just doesn’t have a lot of history outside of OU (who they will play annually) so most won’t be concerned with them.

Pairing Florida and LSU makes sense however it messes with the rest of the pairings and LSU has about as much history with regional former OOC foes Arkansas (67) and TAMU (60) as they do with in conference Florida (68). LSU’s issue is losing games against Mississippi St (115) and big time games against Alabama and Florida but those lost games will be supplemented with games against Texas, OU, UGA, Tennessee and an extra home conference game every other year.

Florida gets UGA and plays geographically close South Carolina but then doesn’t really have another historic rival outside of Auburn (84) who already has their top 3, or Tennessee (52) which like LSU (68) is really just recency bias. Penciling in Oklahoma gives them a make up game for losing LSU, plus even if it’s a forced rivalry, it’s a made for TV game that will bring eyeballs.

The other model I think is pretty solid from the realignment thread is also below. This guy is a Gator fan so he forces Florida/Tennessee (52 games) over Tenn/Kentucky (117), and Arkansas/Mizzou (13) over Ark/LSU (67), after that everything just falls in line.

Its not a bad list, though taking away Kentucky’s top 5 rivals (including 2 they’ve played over 100 times) and replacing them with their previously forced “rival “ Mississippi State (50) and 2 expansion teams South Carolina (34)/Mizzou (12) seems a little harsh even if they are just a basketball school.

Still my biggest soap box issue with his model and other is the unbalanced Thanksgiving/rivalry week games, which would be LSU/OU (that’s primo content on a week that would already have the Iron Bowl, Egg Bowl, and half of the SEC/ACC matchups) and Arkansas/Mizzou. The only way this would make sense is if we play Arkansas on Thanksgiving, and aggy plays LSU, then you could put OU/Mizzou in there, but I wouldn’t bet money on UT/aggy moving off rivalry weekend.

Quoting myself to bump an older post where I posted a 3-6-6 model with the added context of all time wins and some reasoning around why.

Since this was a topic of conversation figured some people might like to see the data.

LSU and Tennessee might be a little easier, Arkansas might be a little difficult but it protects the most rivalries possible.

Again, I doubt this is the model but I think it’s far closer that some of the others I’ve seen posted on here.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 9-game SEC sked
  • 3 permanent rivals - aggy, okie, and pig every year
  • Remaining 6 SEC games played home & home every 4 years against all others
I guess I don't understand why blowU gets to dodge Georgia next year because of the impending SEC move, yet our Bama game lives on?

If neither of us have dawgs/bammer as perm rivals it shouldn't make any difference if blowU plays Georgia during their last year in the Butthurt12?

22 minutes ago, ousux said:

I guess I don't understand why blowU gets to dodge Georgia next year because of the impending SEC move, yet our Bama game lives on?

If neither of us have dawgs/bammer as perm rivals it shouldn't make any difference if blowU plays Georgia during their last year in the Butthurt12?

It's because the Texas-Bama game is the end of a nonconference home-and-home series, while the UGA-OU game is the first in a series that was scheduled to be completed in 2031.  If they played the game as scheduled, the SEC would lose out, as the first game was at OU, so the Big 12 would get the benefits of the game, while the 2031 game would just be a normal SEC game.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, TheContractor said:

a lot of people give a shit. if you give them a random Miss St or UK, thats an easy win. They need to get Florida to make it even. The 3+6 is fun and keep most rivalries but some teams are going to get a much harder draw than others. Someone will get screwed 

I don't care who we get. We've got "history" with Missouri in the same way we have history with Kansas, Iowa State, et al. Nobody cares.

I'd love to have Arkansas, simply because proximity and all of the bullshit the hogs have flung at OU in the past. But suddenly, they're too busy?

Worse case for everyone is we get the dregs and end up with two guaranteed wins every year. 

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

It's because the Texas-Bama game is the end of a nonconference home-and-home series, while the UGA-OU game is the first in a series that was scheduled to be completed in 2031.  If they played the game as scheduled, the SEC would lose out, as the first game was at OU, so the Big 12 would get the benefits of the game, while the 2031 game would just be a normal SEC game.

SEC and ESPN want to hype up Texas and Oklahoma’s first big time SEC games against the top of the SEC. Hyping up Texas/Bama in a few years will lose some of its luster/novelty (and some eyeballs too) since we just played. They didn’t want to compound that issue with OU/UGA.

15 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

The way the SEC has treated and handled Aggy throughout this process has been a thing of beauty. Keeping them completely in the dark about the decision to add Texas back into your conference just really helps to illustrate who the conference caters to and who they don't give a shit about. From 100 year decision right back to an annual home and home conference game. We're not even in the conference yet and pecking order has been re-established. 

Aggy looking like cunts in front of the whole country has been icing on the cake!

Icing on the cake would be having our first game vs aggy in Austin.

Just for the ragey lulz from the agros.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, TheContractor said:

Everyone still has to play 6 of the other teams 2 years, and the other 6 the following 2 years.  I don't think anyone's going to have both Alabama and Georgia on the schedule as their perma-rivals and no other teams in the SEC are consistently playing at that kind of level, so overall I think it's all going to average out.

Just now, utee94 said:

Everyone still has to play 6 of the other teams 2 years, and the other 6 the following 2 years.  I don't think anyone's going to have both Alabama and Georgia on the schedule as their perma-rivals and no other teams in the SEC are consistently playing at that kind of level, so overall I think it's all going to average out.

It would be pretty shocking if Auburn did not have both Alabama and Georgia as two of their permanent rivals.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

It would be pretty shocking if Auburn did not have both Alabama and Georgia as two of their permanent rivals.

OK.

For 94% of the conference it won't work out that way.

Like I've said many times, 16-team conferences are stupid and the scheduling is inevitably going to be a shit show.  All we can hope for is the least worst option.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:21 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ooof. Florida and Tennessee not being permanent rivals? That's wild to me.

Alabama-Tennessee is a must.  Tennessee is probably 1st wish on UK and VU's list.

Florida/Tennessee wasn't a big game prior to the East/West divisions.  Now for TV reasons, UK may get screwed.  In basketball, they had UK-UF play twice and UK-Tennessee only once, because at the time, UK and UF were the basketball powers, when UK and Tennessee were probably first on each other's list.  So we will see.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:30 PM, Texas Wahoo said:

They’re not doing pods, but it’s not as wrong as you suggest. While it’s true that A&M has played LSU more than OU, LSU has played the two Mississippi schools and Alabama a lot more than A&M.  Similarly, while Arkansas has more history with LSU and Ole Miss than OU, Ole Miss has played Miss State, LSU, and Vandy way more than Arkansas.  Obviously they cannot just match up the teams that have played the most, because that is often not true for both sides of each “rivalry.”

And OU is probably the closest school to the pigs.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:08 PM, Vertigo said:

aggy is just dying to get Miss St as a permanent rival. They are using their press outlets to wishcast. There is zero historical relevance to that rivalry other than Mike Leach kicking their asses the last decade. Aggy should get Texas, OU, LSU. 

Don't you remember?  Both are maroon schools with dogs as mascots and about the only time they won big was when Jackie Sherrill was busy getting them on probation!

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

It’s painfully obvious it should be 

Texas: OU, Ark, A&M

A&M: Texas, Ark, LSU

Ark: Texas, A&M, LSU

OU: Texas, Missouri, who gives a shit

I think you could either do aggy-pig or sooner-pig.  If you do sooner-pig, give aggy their probation brothers in Starkville.  The only other alternative for these 4 would be aggy-sooner with the pigs going to Starkville.

19 minutes ago, bullet said:

I think you could either do aggy-pig or sooner-pig.  If you do sooner-pig, give aggy their probation brothers in Starkville.  The only other alternative for these 4 would be aggy-sooner with the pigs going to Starkville.

OU and Arkansas have such little history compared to A&M and Arkansas, I don’t really understand the rationale there. A&M and OU at least have Big 12 overlap, but I’m guessing A&M throws a fit to avoid that.

As someone living in SEC country following the Gators and Horns for decades, I will say that the new system will be an improvement and I can’t wait to see the matchups . It will bring old rivalries back on a more consistent basis. LSU v UF has become much watch TV and I love to hate Tigah but never playing Auburn is something most of the old guard misses. Having them switch every year brings AU back without losing LSU. Tennessee is a great rivalry too but still a newer one.

I can see UF v OU as a pairing but it is a little odd. But having the full SEC cycle through your stadium at least once every four years will make for exciting football every Saturday. And there will be no more watching bullshit games between KSU and TCU because it may matter for our conference standing.

Good riddance Rig 12. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Florida is an odd one, they have lots of rivals but for most they are like the 3rd/4th  and not 1st/2nd.

Georgia and South Carolina (even if UF doesn’t care about them) make sense.

Yes, they may lose Tenn/LSU annually but they add in Auburn/Alabama which helps restore the Auburn rivalry to a better state than it’s been in since the E/W split and especially since they expanded in 2012.

They also mix in more West teams, plus Texas/OU in place of UK/Vandy/Mizzou which can only help their schedule.

Every team is going to bitch and moan a little but Florida honestly may be better off with losing LSU/Tenn as a rival even if it stings for a bit.

LSU is in a similar boat. Arkansas and aggy may consider them their top rival, but LSU doesn’t reciprocate. The other schools who they consider rivals have LSU as their #3/4. So, like UF this process may sting a little for them too.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:08 PM, Vertigo said:

aggy is just dying to get Miss St as a permanent rival. They are using their press outlets to wishcast. There is zero historical relevance to that rivalry other than Mike Leach kicking their asses the last decade. Aggy should get Texas, OU, LSU. 

Aggy is dying to dodge Texas more than anything else

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

OU and Arkansas have such little history compared to A&M and Arkansas, I don’t really understand the rationale there. A&M and OU at least have Big 12 overlap, but I’m guessing A&M throws a fit to avoid that.

how many fits are aggy going to throw?

can't play sips every year fit

have to play sips at pyle first fit

can't play sips and thieves every year fit

have to play corndog every year fit

can't play sips at T+1 fit

have to play corndog either T or T+1 fit

i know i'm missing others just from the last few days of groid bitching

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

They don't want fair.  And in their pathetic little minds getting the first game at home equates to exacting a pound of flesh.

Losers.

If aggy gets Texas at home in ‘24 they will have both Texas and LSU at home and away the same years, so they’ll either complain about their road schedule every odd year or they’d have to play LSU twice in BR to stagger the teams.  Or the first game could be in Austin and they could shut the hell up.

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Florida is an odd one, they have lots of rivals but for most they are like the 3rd/4th  and not 1st/2nd.

Yes, they may lose Tenn/LSU annually but they add in Auburn/Alabama which helps restore the Auburn rivalry to a better state than it’s been in since the E/W split and especially since they expanded in 2012.

They also mix in more West teams, plus Texas/OU in place of UK/Vandy/Mizzou which can only help their schedule.

Every team is going to bitch and moan a little but Florida honestly may be better off with losing LSU/Tenn as a rival even if it stings for a bit.

LSU is in a similar boat. Arkansas and aggy may consider them their top rival, but LSU doesn’t reciprocate. The other schools who they consider rivals have LSU as their #3/4. So, like UF this process may sting a little for them too.

I say give UF/barn a go and swap for OU/MSU

Helps keep barn from popping up for a serious run once a decade, also doesn’t allow OU to build recruiting ties to florida as fast. 

I think both are good for us.  LSU and UF are founders with a lot of recent success so it’s hard to see the, getting the shaft while vandy and the Miss schools pretty much get their top rivals.  

Regardless of how we have perceived the SEC bias and favorable scheduling mechanisms, it’s obviously a well run conference or they wouldn’t have won 13 of the 17 MNCs.   However scheduling shakes out will probably look a lot like your model and there will be great games on every week.

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

how many fits are aggy going to throw?

can't play sips every year fit

have to play sips at pyle first fit

can't play sips and thieves every year fit

have to play corndog every year fit

can't play sips at T+1 fit

have to play corndog either T or T+1 fit

i know i'm missing others just from the last few days of groid bitching

They will make up shit and say the reason we didn't want to play ever year is because we're scared.

10 hours ago, bullet said:

Alabama-Tennessee is a must.  Tennessee is probably 1st wish on UK and VU's list.

Florida/Tennessee wasn't a big game prior to the East/West divisions.  Now for TV reasons, UK may get screwed.  In basketball, they had UK-UF play twice and UK-Tennessee only once, because at the time, UK and UF were the basketball powers, when UK and Tennessee were probably first on each other's list.  So we will see.

I went to UF/Tenn in Knoxville a few years back. Vol fans took it very seriously. 

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

It might not matter all that much if everybody plays everybody every other year in a 9 conference game model. While not ideal, I think most SEC fans would take hosting Bama/Georgia every 4 years. 

If the SEC can screw the Gata, they will.  I'd prefer any 3 of these

• UGA - for obvious reasons (This needs to be a lock and it probably is)
  • LSU - new rivalry and I don't want to see the corndogs get their way and duck us (lol we sux)
  • AU - Big rival that was sacrificed last expansion. 
  • Ten - was a big game that lost some luster from the UF fans because we owned them (past tense)  Fun fact: Peyton never beat the Gata 

I know everyone is going to take one for the team but I don't want a pairing with these teams:

• Missou
  • M State
  • Ark
  • Ou - just because it doesn't make any sense

I want there to be less regionalization in scheduling, but I think the frequency of seeing non permanent teams on the schedule makes up for that.  Gotta keep that in mind

I think what you'll find out soon enough is there is no love lost between any of the SEC teams save Vandy.   Most (not all) of the games feel like rivalry games with perceived grievances, rowdy fans, and "exciting" game environments

Either way it's going to be a good time.

Edited by locodos

On 2/13/2023 at 5:14 PM, MuellerHorn said:

Texas, aggy, arky, and ou should all get each other.

That's what's so weird to me...they're talking about Texas getting those 3, but the others aren't getting the same? Guess they really don't want to be labeled as a "pod"

1 minute ago, Drew said:

That's what's so weird to me...they're talking about Texas getting those 3, but the others aren't getting the same? Guess they really don't want to be labeled as a "pod"

Again, Oklahoma has a long history with Missouri. Just because we have a history with OU doesn't mean they have our history with everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Okay, didn't realize they played Mizzou even more than anyone else until reading the rest of this page.

Yeah, they were in the Missouri Valley/Big8/B12 together for almost 100 years, so they definitely have more history with Mizzou than any other "New SEC" team not named Texas.

Now is that something either school values as a "rivalry?"  I don't know and won't comment.  But I do think it's unfounded to assume OU would want to be paired with the exact same set of perma-rivals as Texas.

Our three are easy to identify, but it's trickier with several other schools.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It might not matter all that much if everybody plays everybody every other year in a 9 conference game model. While not ideal, I think most SEC fans would take hosting Bama/Georgia every 4 years. 

Yep case scenario UF gets stuck with UGA, SC, and Mizzou they’d still get a home schedule where they will host one of Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU and another from Texas, Oklahoma, aggy, Arkansas and another from Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St.

UF 23 home SEC schedule - Tenn, Vandy, Arkansas

22 - LSU, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mizzou

21 - Alabama, Tenn, Vandy

last time they played Auburn at home was 2019

I thought LSU-Florida parting as rivals was mutual? Both sides have bitched plenty about playing each other. 

I wonder how much travel consideration the SEC will give to the three permanent rivals. 

I think the “Texas 3” is pretty clear. OU, piggy, and aggy of course.

I think OU is going to want aggy as a permanent opponent for recruiting, but I’ll acknowledge their history is fairly recent. I believe OU and piggy have almost no history. I’d imagine they want Texas, misery, and aggy. 

aggy should gladly accept Texas, LSU, and piggy, but it’s a high bar to make those folks happy. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What’s with this “pod” fan-fiction nonsense? The commissioner already said it’ll be division format.

What? No. It won't be pods either. The two options left on the table are 8 conference games a year with 1 permanent rival and rotating the other 14 every two years or 9 games with 3 permanent rivals and rotating the other 12 every two years.  The second plan is the massive favorite.

As an OU fan, I'd much rather play Arky every year than Mizzou, but whatever. Rotating every conference opponent through a home and home every 4 year cycle alleviates concern about any game unless it absolutely must be played every year, and OU only has one of those in the SEC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)