New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

4 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
We’re not fucking playing Tech. Please take your screen and start slamming it against your face. 

This. Fuck playing Tech every year.

Yep. Burton basically said the bridge is burnt all the way to the ground. Texas will claim player/staff safety BS, but it's really about Hocutt running to the media with a 25 year (?!) year OOC agreement with Texas and FOX negotiating shenanigans. 

We got you a large animal vet school. Shut The Fuck Up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

FCB on Texas', OU's, and aggy's permanent rivalries. Also, more on aggy being a whiny little bitch:

Spoiler

THE LATEST ON TEXAS AND THE SEC

All indications are that sometime in the next three months the Southeastern Conference will announce the league is moving to a nine-game conference football schedule beginning in 2024, when Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC.

If that happens, I can confirm the leaks indicating Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Arkansas as Texas’ three permanent annual opponents in the SEC are indeed accurate.

Oklahoma’s three permanent annual opponents would be Texas, Florida and Missouri, and Texas A&M’s three annual opponents would be Texas, LSU and Mississippi State.

While Texas and Oklahoma will continue to play in October in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the State Fair of Texas, it is unclear if Texas and A&M will go back to playing on Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving weekend. Of Texas and Texas A&M’s 118 games played (a series led by Texas 76-37-5), 61 fell on the Thursday of Thanksgiving.

Sources say A&M has indicated it would prefer to continue its SEC tradition - since 2013 - of playing LSU on Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving weekend. A&M is 3-7 against the Tigers in those games since 2013.

After CBS broadcasted the first A&M-LSU game on Thanksgiving weekend in 2013, those matchups since have been aired by ESPN or the ESPN-owned SEC Network. ESPN takes over full broadcast rights to the SEC beginning in 2024.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

FCB on Texas', OU's, and aggy's permanent rivalries. Also, more on aggy being a whiny little bitch:

Hide contents

THE LATEST ON TEXAS AND THE SEC

All indications are that sometime in the next three months the Southeastern Conference will announce the league is moving to a nine-game conference football schedule beginning in 2024, when Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC.

If that happens, I can confirm the leaks indicating Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Arkansas as Texas’ three permanent annual opponents in the SEC are indeed accurate.

Oklahoma’s three permanent annual opponents would be Texas, Florida and Missouri, and Texas A&M’s three annual opponents would be Texas, LSU and Mississippi State.

While Texas and Oklahoma will continue to play in October in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the State Fair of Texas, it is unclear if Texas and A&M will go back to playing on Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving weekend. Of Texas and Texas A&M’s 118 games played (a series led by Texas 76-37-5), 61 fell on the Thursday of Thanksgiving.

Sources say A&M has indicated it would prefer to continue its SEC tradition - since 2013 - of playing LSU on Thanksgiving/Thanksgiving weekend. A&M is 3-7 against the Tigers in those games since 2013.

After CBS broadcasted the first A&M-LSU game on Thanksgiving weekend in 2013, those matchups since have been aired by ESPN or the ESPN-owned SEC Network. ESPN takes over full broadcast rights to the SEC beginning in 2024.

Florida is going to wake up every morning and wonder what they did to Greg Sankey to warrant OU as a permanent rival. Castiglione will light the world's largest cigar if they get an annual game in Texas + a game every year in Florida. The recruiting leaches finally hit their Powerball number. 

aggy wishcasting granted if it comes to pass. 

Brent Z has been VERY clear on aggy - Texas playing on Thanksgiving.

FCB continues his torrid streak of EXTREMELY shitty realignment reporting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just don’t get the ou/Florida pairing other than they are both trash states. They are about as far away from each other geographically as possible in this conference. Florida has so much more history with auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and scar.  Ou has a ton of history with mizzou, a decent amount with A&M and Arkansas is a way more natural rival. Just makes no sense to me. 

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I just don’t get the ou/Florida pairing other than they are both trash states. They are about as far away from each other geographically as possible in this conference. Florida has so much more history with auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and scar.  Ou has a ton of history with mizzou, a decent amount with A&M and Arkansas is a way more natural rival. Just makes no sense to me. 

To me, maybe they didn’t want to give them both two layups?

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm thinking all of the future OOC games against SEC opponents magically become ESPN friendly ACC games. Probably starts in '29 with the Georgia game. I'd imagine that gets flipped to Clemson or Florida State.

The ACC has some appealing opponents. The only schools I don't want to play : GA Tech, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, Wake. Because they suck. 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's astonishing how wrong these writers get things, apparently just to have a "take":

Texas-Texas A&M?

Georgia-Auburn?

Alabama-Tennessee?

Yeah, Texas-Texas A&M is an historic rivarly, but it pales in comparison to Texas-OU, 

Give me the option of having to losing to one, I’ll choose OU every time. a&m fans from my experience are 100 times worse than the OU fans from the ones in passing and the ones I know in real life. The cult is just such a beating after they win.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm thinking all of the future OOC games against SEC opponents magically become ESPN friendly ACC games. Probably starts in '29 with the Georgia game. I'd imagine that gets flipped to Clemson or Florida State.

The ACC has some appealing opponents. The only schools I don't want to play : GA Tech, Duke, Pitt, Cuse, Wake. Because they suck. 

Texas is 0-2-1 all time against Syracuse.  Flipping that be worthwhile.

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

To me, maybe they didn’t want to give them both two layups?

For OU, I'll give you Mizzou as a layup. A&M is well.... if you want to make that argument, then are Arkansas and A&M considered two layups for us in our grouping? In the past 11 years, Arkansas has had two 2-win seasons, two 3-win seasons and two 4-win seasons. I'm not talking in conference, I'm talking for the entire season. OU should have Texas, Mizzou and A&M. A&M should get LSU, TX and OU. 

For Florida, they need to be playing at least two of Georgia, TN, or Auburn. Preferably all three. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Florida is going to wake up every morning and wonder what they did to Greg Sankey to warrant OU as a permanent rival. Castiglione will light the world's largest cigar if they get an annual game in Texas + a game every year in Florida. The recruiting leaches finally hit their Powerball number. 

aggy wishcasting granted if it comes to pass. 

Brent Z has been VERY clear on aggy - Texas playing on Thanksgiving.

FCB continues his torrid streak of EXTREMELY shitty realignment reporting. 

I'm cool watching both my favorite teams buttfucking blowU every year.

Whats interesting is Florida is like Texas, all the opponents think they are rivals. Tennishit, Kentucky, South Carolina ect..

Florida has Georgia and to a lesser extent, Florida State. Oh yeah we play Miami every once in a while too another "rival". 

Edited by Zeus
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Bevo Num1 said:
15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
We’re not fucking playing Tech. Please take your screen and start slamming it against your face. 

This. Fuck playing Tech every year.

Screw playing Tech voluntarily ever again after this year.    Beat them 50 to nothing and make the scoreboard pic a permanent memorial to McGuire and his arrogance.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/16/2023 at 6:55 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's astonishing how wrong these writers get things, apparently just to have a "take":

Texas-Texas A&M?

Georgia-Auburn?

Alabama-Tennessee?

Yeah, Texas-Texas A&M is an historic rivarly, but it pales in comparison to Texas-OU, as 'bama-Tennessee  pales to ''bama-Auburn and frankly Georgia-Auburn pales to Georgia-Florida (and maybe Georgia-Tennessee, if not just because of good old southern hate).

Georgia-Tennessee rarely played before the SEC went to divisions.  they had only played 21 times at that point and 11 of those games were 1925 and earlier.  Auburn is still VASTLY more of a rivalry than Tennessee to UGA.  Only Minnesota-Wisconsin have played more times than Georgia-Auburn in FBS with 127 games.  By comparison, Texas-OU is 118.  Alabama-Auburn is 87.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2023 at 9:11 PM, PencilPusher said:

I’ll play the role of contrarian here as I believe the final grouping of 3 for Texas will not be the obvious 3 of OU, Ag, and Pig. Cant imagine that they’ll make us completely happy with our perm 3 rivals (assuming UT communicated this as their desire) while screwing longer term SEC members by not honoring all of theIr wishes. I expect a lot of horse trading to take place before the schedule is finalized and that no one will be completely satisfied. 

My guess is Pig isn’t on the final list as the embers of that rivalry are barely flickering in the conscious of most college football fans. Since we all believe that TV will have some say, they’ll want UT to play OU and Ag every year as it is likely the expected ratings for those 2 games would exceed UT/Pig and thus Arkansas would be odd man(pig) out. Not sure who would be the replacement in that scenario….it is possible it is someone we wouldn’t expect. 

Also, the 3 permanent rivals aren’t set for all time…it could be that in the next TV contract ESPN (or whomever) armed with ratings data might cajole the SEC into some changes to maximize viewership. If Pig isn’t one of the original 3 but the ratings for the matchups that happen exceed expectations and are better than the ratings for the games against the currently unnamed 3rd permanent opponent, a swap would likely happen. 

All logic dictates that OU, Ag, and Pig are the games…but logic hasn’t often applied in these situations. 

Nobody in the SEC particularly wants the  sooners, pigs or aggy.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:24 AM, Texas Wahoo said:

I was looking at the list of SEC champions and two things struck me.  First, no team that has joined the SEC since 1932 has ever won an SEC championship; and second, only six teams have won an outright SEC championship since Ole Miss in 1963.  So really, Alabama, UGA, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, and Auburn are the only ones that have won championships in sixty years.  If you add Texas, OU, and A&M (purely based on willingness to spend), then you have nine potential champions and seven also-rans.  Optimal fairness would probably be to give all nine of the potential champions two other potential champions and one of the others.  Each of the others can get one or two potential champions to fill out the schedule, but it does not really matter.

Good point.  If you didn't use your outright, you still only add Kentucky to the list (a couple of shared titles in the 70s).

I think something like this. As a fan, I want to see Bama LSU every year. I don’t give a shit if Alabama and MSU played in pre-historic times. OU gets Florida so they don’t have it too easy. Alternative is maybe Auburn and Florida or LSU and Florida.

Texas: A&M, OU, Ark

A&M: Texas, Ark, LSU

Ark: Texas, A&M and Missouri

Alabama: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU

LSU: A&M, Ole Miss, Bama

Florida: Georgia, Tennessee, OU

OU: Texas, Missouri, Florida

Tennessee: Alabama, Florida, Kentucky

Georgia: Auburn, Florida, SC

Auburn: Georgia, Alabama, MSU

Missouri: OU, Ark, Kentucky

UK: SC, Tennessee, Missouri

SC: Georgia, Vandy, Kentucky

Ole Miss: MSU, LSU, Vandy

MSU: Ole Miss, Auburn. Vandy

Vandy: Ole Miss, SC, MSU

On 2/17/2023 at 11:08 AM, Reynolds Woodcock said:

So is there any connection between A&M and MSU other than A&M lobbying to get a traditional cellar dweller? I would have thought Arkansas was a no brainer for them, given SWC past and recent Jerry world tradition. 

Both wear maroon, play in a shithole town, and trace glory days to Jackie Sherrill….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bullet said:

Georgia-Tennessee rarely played before the SEC went to divisions.  they had only played 21 times at that point and 11 of those games were 1925 and earlier.  Auburn is still VASTLY more of a rivalry than Tennessee to UGA.  Only Minnesota-Wisconsin have played more times than Georgia-Auburn in FBS with 127 games.  By comparison, Texas-OU is 118.  Alabama-Auburn is 87.

I had not realized that “the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry” had recently caught up to “the South’s Oldest Rivalry” (UVA/UNC) because they played twice in 2017. 

I know the Ags have this “thing” about playing the next game against Texas in CS. It’s about “flexing” on Texas, somehow. We know that Texas joins the SEC in 2024. Observations-

1. Texas traditionally hosted in even numbered years. 
2. A&M hosted the last game played in the series. 
3. (most significantly) TAMU hosts LSU in even numbered years. Only morons would sign up to play their two toughest and most bitter rivals at home the same season and on the road the alternating years. 

So, you’re guess is as good as mine as to how it turns out. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Only morons would sign up to play their two toughest and most bitter rivals at home the same season and on the road the alternating years. 

You do know who you are talking about, right? Nothing would be more on brand for those idiots than to shoot themselves in the foot trying to get one over on tu. There will be tshirts and commemorative plastic cups made to celebrate. 

I think there is a decent chance A&M keeps LSU on thanksgiving and we get Arkansas that weekend. A&M admin, in their typical dorky way, seems to think it is some kind of flex to have LSU on “rivalry week”. And if LSU loses Ark as a permanent game, there isn’t another natural opponent for them that weekend since any of their other potential permanents (Bama, Ole Miss, Florida, Auburn) all have fixed games. 

25 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think there is a decent chance A&M keeps LSU on thanksgiving and we get Arkansas that weekend. A&M admin, in their typical dorky way, seems to think it is some kind of flex to have LSU on “rivalry week”. And if LSU loses Ark as a permanent game, there isn’t another natural opponent for them that weekend since any of their other potential permanents (Bama, Ole Miss, Florida, Auburn) all have fixed games. 

They can flex all they want, but come game time it won't make a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Currently, the final week of the regular season is reserved for rivalries. Four SEC teams play nonconference rivalry games: GeorgiaGeorgia Tech, FloridaFlorida State, KentuckyLouisville and South CarolinaClemson.
The other 10 play regional rivalry games within the conference: AlabamaAuburn, Arkansas-Missouri, Ole Miss-Mississippi State, TennesseeVanderbilt and Texas A&M-LSU.

Because the Oklahoma-Texas game is locked into October because it takes place at the State Fair of Texas, that game can’t be moved. If Texas became Texas A&M’s opponent on Thanksgiving, who would LSU play? If the rest of the SEC’s rivalry games are preserved that week, it leaves only Oklahoma, which may not be one of LSU’s permanent opponents.

This logic doesn't make any sense.  If LSU would have no one but OU to play on the last week of the year; having them play A&M would leave Texas with no one at all to play, because they obviously cannot play OU that weekend.  So either way, you are going to have to move one of the other rivalry games if you want everyone to have a rivalry game that weekend.

15 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

This logic doesn't make any sense.  If LSU would have no one but OU to play on the last week of the year; having them play A&M would leave Texas with no one at all to play, because they obviously cannot play OU that weekend.  So either way, you are going to have to move one of the other rivalry games if you want everyone to have a rivalry game that weekend.

4- UF/FSU, UGA/GT, SC/Clem, UK/UL
6- Bama/Aub, OleMiss/MSU, TN/Vandy

Remaining 6 -Arkansas, LSU, Mizzou, Texas, Oklahoma, aggy

Obvious solution: UT/aggy, LSU/Arkansas, OU/Mizzou but this only works if LSU and Arkansas are rivals (the other matchups will be).

If they aren’t rivals then UT/aggy, LSU/OU, Arkansas/Mizzou could work too but again requires LSU/OU to be paired up which seems unlikely.

Final option would be LSU/aggy, Texas/Arkansas, OU/Mizzou but would keep Texas/aggy off Thanksgiving weekend which seems poorly planned from a marketing perspective.

Oh, he’s “asking” if one of the most valuable properties in college football can stay right where it is, except at a better time. That shows humility, I guess. Like, if a hot girl at the pool asks you if you’d mind rubbing lotion on her back after she undies the top straps. 

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)